Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Glee: Season 1, Volume 1 - Road To Sectionals --12/29/09

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Glee-Se...Volume-1/12780

Old 10-11-09, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Glee: Season 1, Volume 1 - Road To Sectionals --12/29/09

I won't buy TV shows until they're split further. How about Season 1, Volume 1, Part 1, Disc 1?
Old 10-11-09, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

I'm with droidguy. Whats up with splitting up these season sets? Much as I enjoy glee, I dont know if I like it that much to buy two sets, that are probably going to both be priced like any other full season sets, to get one season.
Old 10-11-09, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe this is the way for them to earn more money from the dvds to compensate for the likely high music licensing they had to pay. They figure they'd hide it with multiple releases.
Old 10-11-09, 01:14 PM

Actually if you read the article it explains why the split.

Basically they were already taking pre-orders and making plans for this DVD, which contains the first 13 episodes, BEFORE it was decided by FOX to go ahead and order 9 more season 1 episodes. That's why it is now Season 1, Volume 1 instead of scrapping the project completely.
Old 10-11-09, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ya, this season was only very recently expanded to a full season. They announced this DVD right after the pilot was originally aired.
Old 10-11-09, 02:52 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by lordwow
Ya, this season was only very recently expanded to a full season. They announced this DVD right after the pilot was originally aired.
so it is a full season now and not just 13 eps.? that's good. this release is not, but i love the show and will get it for a good price, sadly.
Old 10-11-09, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's also a smart move for them because this will be out before the remaining 9 episodes air, thus people can pick it up and catch up before the remainder of the season starts. This is one instance where I don't mind the release being split because this DVD set was probably being produced before they decided to give the show an additional 9 episodes.
Old 10-11-09, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by scott1598
so it is a full season now and not just 13 eps.? that's good. this release is not, but i love the show and will get it for a good price, sadly.
Ya, it got an additional 9 episodes ordered by FOX given the really strong ratings.
Old 10-11-09, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by kstublen
It's also a smart move for them because this will be out before the remaining 9 episodes air, thus people can pick it up and catch up before the remainder of the season starts. This is one instance where I don't mind the release being split because this DVD set was probably being produced before they decided to give the show an additional 9 episodes.
Exactly. This will allow people who haven't seen the show to catch up during the break before the back 9 episodes air.

Plus Glee is going to be a VERY expensive show because of all the music licensing. You'd likely be looking at a 70.00 MSRP for the full season and that would discourage a lot of consumers - especially blind buyers.

I'm not usually a fan of the split season unless its a crazy amount of episodes, but in this instance, its probably for the best.
Old 10-11-09, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can understand why some people would want to wait, but for me, I'm excited as f * * k over this.

I LOVE Glee. It's fresh, it's smart, it takes stereotypes and kicks them in the ass, the musical numbers are brilliant and Jane Lynch...
Old 10-11-09, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wait for the entire season box set. I dont agree with part ones and part twos of seasons.
Old 10-11-09, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by David Levine
Exactly. This will allow people who haven't seen the show to catch up during the break before the back 9 episodes air.

Plus Glee is going to be a VERY expensive show because of all the music licensing. You'd likely be looking at a 70.00 MSRP for the full season and that would discourage a lot of consumers - especially blind buyers.

I'm not usually a fan of the split season unless its a crazy amount of episodes, but in this instance, its probably for the best.
And if it hasn't been mentioned yet, the producers have said that they were well aware of the DVD issues that other shows have had, and secured DVD rights for all of the songs used in the show when they originally secured the rights.
Old 10-11-09, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by lordwow
And if it hasn't been mentioned yet, the producers have said that they were well aware of the DVD issues that other shows have had, and secured DVD rights for all of the songs used in the show when they originally secured the rights.
Exactly - and that's why the MSRP is as high as it is.
Old 10-12-09, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by riley_dude
I wait for the entire season box set. I dont agree with part ones and part twos of seasons.
Even with the above mentioned reasoning? I'd much rather pay about $35 a piece for two sets over a period of time than $70 in one shot at the end.
Old 10-22-09, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The Futon Critic has the press release with the special features listed including: Director's Cut of the Pilot, Behind-the-Scenes Footage and Audition Tapes.

I'm kinda sad that we won't be getting any commentaries or a blu release.
Old 10-22-09, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by critterdvd
The Futon Critic has the press release with the special features listed including: Director's Cut of the Pilot, Behind-the-Scenes Footage and Audition Tapes.

I'm kinda sad that we won't be getting any commentaries or a blu release.
No commentaries is a very disappointing bit of news. Considering how much chemistry the cast has in appearances and in the show, it would make for a great addition. Hopefully this is rectified on the second installment of the first season discs.
Old 10-24-09, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know people (and so do I) generally hate seasons split into volumes, but actually splitting a CURRENT SEASON in half doesn't seem so bad. When we're talking a 40 year old show that had nine seasons and is getting a half-season, that irks me... but releasing a half-season midway into its freshmen year doesn't seem so bad. Hell, here are a lot of current shows out there that would be nice to split seasons if they release them so quickly.
Old 10-28-09, 04:52 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nothingfails
I know people (and so do I) generally hate seasons split into volumes, but actually splitting a CURRENT SEASON in half doesn't seem so bad. When we're talking a 40 year old show that had nine seasons and is getting a half-season, that irks me... but releasing a half-season midway into its freshmen year doesn't seem so bad. Hell, here are a lot of current shows out there that would be nice to split seasons if they release them so quickly.
I also think that since the show will be following American Idol come January, this will be a good way to catch up the new viewers that lead-in should bring.
Old 10-29-09, 08:03 AM

After BSG I am the same way, no season splits! For being a first year show, it's not a bad marketing move, but generally I want the whole season in one set or no dice.
Old 10-29-09, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by David Levine
Licensing is expensive, yes, but keep in mind that many of the artists generously dropped their rates so their music could be included in the show. Otherwise producing this series would probably be untenable. So, all things considered, it should help keep costs down on the DVD side as well.
Old 10-29-09, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by BJacks
Licensing is expensive, yes, but keep in mind that many of the artists generously dropped their rates so their music could be included in the show. Otherwise producing this series would probably be untenable. So, all things considered, it should help keep costs down on the DVD side as well.
There still has to be some licensing involved. Especially since home video rights are a completely different ballgame than broadcast rights. I know that "Desperate Housewives," "Grey's Anatomy," "One Tree Hill," and "The Mentalist" are all current shows that got music licensed easy and cheap for broadcast but come DVD time things got interesting/expensive.

But for a series like this, especially since the show is going on hiatus for several months in the winter, splitting the DVDs up will definitely bring in more viewers (especially with the after Christmas rush release date).

But with all that said I am hearing rumors of a "Complete First Season" release in July on both SD and Blu...
Old 10-29-09, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Someone posted on DVDActive.com that if you buy this set there will be a 50% off coupon included to purchase the complete 1st season when it does get released. Not sure if it's true or not, but it definitely helps, although you will be stuck with duplicates of the 1st 13 episodes.
Old 10-30-09, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya
Someone posted on DVDActive.com that if you buy this set there will be a 50% off coupon included to purchase the complete 1st season when it does get released. Not sure if it's true or not, but it definitely helps, although you will be stuck with duplicates of the 1st 13 episodes.
So, if true, even with fifty percent off, you'll wind up with duplicates? That sucks.
Old 10-30-09, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wait, Fox has the balls to release a complete set afterwards instead of just a Volume 2?? If that is true, I'm definitely holding off (especially if the rumours of a blu-ray set pan out)... that's just crazy.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.