DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Rumors of Thriller (Karloff anthology series) Coming to DVD (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/562908-rumors-thriller-karloff-anthology-series-coming-dvd.html)

R. Hilton 10-09-09 11:38 AM

Rumors of Thriller (Karloff anthology series) Coming to DVD

Potentially huge news from TVShowsonDVD indicating a release of the classic Karloff hosted program "Thriller" in 2010. Link below...
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Thr...-Planned/12778

Carcosa 10-11-09 02:45 PM

re: Rumors of Thriller (Karloff anthology series) Coming to DVD

I have been waiting for this without much hope for years. I can retire my bogus set. Awesome.

ScissorPuppy 10-11-09 05:34 PM

hahaha, I was all ready to post about the Michael Jackson video!

So...

1. The Karloff show is classic, I cannot wait to own a great copy of it.

2. MJ's Thriller needs to be remastered. Get out the neg and do a complete HD transfer.
The video is looking old! I'm sure they are still using the digital transfer from 1997 when shown. Which that transfer I'm almost positive is from the original broadcast tapes.

R. Hilton 11-03-09 01:32 PM

This should be a packed set in terms of extras, similar to the Twilight Zone collections. Tim Lucas states in his blog that he has participated in 2 commentaries and that numerous other genre luminaries are expected to similarly participate. Can't wait for this!

Dick 11-04-09 05:35 PM

There were some terrible episodes (one or two of them inexplicably appeared on the 3-disc laser set), but you could say that for most generally excellent series, such as TZ and Outer Limits. Personally, a great-looking copy of "The Grim Reaper" would make it a must-buy for me. William Shatner, beheaded!

Carcosa 11-04-09 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Dick (Post 9816530)
There were some terrible episodes (one or two of them inexplicably appeared on the 3-disc laser set), but you could say that for most generally excellent series, such as TZ and Outer Limits. Personally, a great-looking copy of "The Grim Reaper" would make it a must-buy for me. William Shatner, beheaded!

The show will be released on DVD by IMAGE ENTERTAINMENT, the same guys who did such a bang-up job on THE TWILIGHT ZONE and COMBAT! It apparently will include a good number of extras, including audio commentaries on select episodes. I'm glad Image is doing this rather than Universal, who actually owns the show.

Chas Speed 11-05-09 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Dick (Post 9816530)

I couldn't agree with you more about every classic anthology series having plenty of bad episodes. There are plenty of Twilight Zones that I could never sit through. I really don't think the show needs remastering (they say it will be). The laserdisc release (that included "Grim Reaper") looked and sounded flawless. I am looking forward to a mint copy of the other classic Shatner episode "The Hungry Glass". Shatner could do no wrong on that series.

Flicker 11-05-09 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by ScissorPuppy (Post 9766970)
hahaha, I was all ready to post about the Michael Jackson video!

Me too! Personally, I'm sick of all the publicity he's getting now that he's gone.

Groucho 11-05-09 08:57 AM

Might not be a bad idea to clarify the thread title.

Adam Tyner 11-05-09 09:01 AM

Re: Rumors of Thriller (Karloff anthology series) Coming to DVD

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 9817697)
Might not be a bad idea to clarify the thread title.

You got it.

Groucho 11-05-09 09:04 AM

Thanks! I remember watching this show as a kid (it was on repeats even then), and would definitely consider picking it up on DVD.

MTRodaba2468 11-06-09 03:33 AM

While I'm not familiar with the show, I have a friend that is. I'm sure he'd be all up for it.

sracer 11-06-09 10:17 AM

I've been waiting for this to come on DVD for ages. I came this > < close to buying an unofficial copy a few times at Chiller Theater. Awesome!

Silverscreenvid 11-06-09 02:52 PM

The Devil's Ticket, with MacDonald Carey as a struggling artist making a deal with the devil was my favorite episode (and possibly the best "deal with the devil" shows ever made).

Carcosa 11-06-09 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Silverscreenvid (Post 9820890)
The Devil's Ticket, with MacDonald Carey as a struggling artist making a deal with the devil was my favorite episode (and possibly the best "deal with the devil" shows ever made).

Yes! That is one my favorites as well. I'll be so happy to retire my bootleg set. It did get me thru though so no complaints.

R. Hilton 05-05-10 01:09 PM

It's confirmed for August.
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Thr...e-Series/13718

wm lopez 05-06-10 12:27 AM

What happens?

Silverscreenvid 05-06-10 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by wm lopez (Post 10142909)
What happens?

I'm a bit fuzzy on the details (it's been years since I've seen it) but:

Spoiler:
In the show, the devil posed as a pawn shop owner. Carey was a struggling painter who agreed to sell his soul in exchange for fame. He insisted on an escape clause... namely that if he painted the portrait of someone and returned that painting to the devil along with the pawn ticket for the stuff he was pawning, the devil would take the other person's soul instead.

First he paints his girl friend's portrait, but his wife finds out and destroys it. Then he reconciles with the wife and paints her portrait but he can't go through with it. Finally, he paints the devil's portrait. The devil shows up on the deadline to collect and is ticked off, but agrees to honor their deal. Carey, however, can't find the pawn ticket. It seems his wife decided to throw it out (I think because he stuck it in the coat he was wearing that day which she threw out because it was tacky and as a rich man he didn't need it anymore). Oops.

Great news on the release. I'll be getting this one for sure.

Pizza 05-06-10 06:03 AM

The one with the lady who turned men into pigs with her homemade jam scared the crap out of me as a kid. Immediately after watching that episode at my grandma's house, she offered me some of her jam and I refused to eat it. She had no clue what I had just watched and why I reacted the way I did.

MTRodaba2468 05-06-10 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by R. Hilton (Post 10141780)

Pricey as hell for a 2 season set, but I'm happy that the show's getting released...

Chas Speed 05-06-10 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468 (Post 10143651)
Pricey as hell for a 2 season set, but I'm happy that the show's getting released...

I'll gladly pay it if they do a good job, but I am alarmed that they will be sticking 5 one hour episodes on each disc (14 discs 70 episodes). Those better be two sided discs!

NoirFan 05-27-10 04:03 PM

Thriller - The Complete Series: 8/31/10

From Classic Flix:

The complete series will be contained on 14 discs and comes with minimal bonus features (below). Guest stars include William Shatner, Leslie Nielsen, Rip Torn, Cloris Leachman, Mary Tyler Moore, Elizabeth Montgomery and Dick York. It will retail for $149.98.

SYNOPSIS:
Now available for the first time, experience the complete series hailed as the most frightening ever created for television. Horror legend Boris Karloff guides you through 67 unforgettable episodes of suspense, murder and relentless terror from the minds of such masterful writers as Edgar Allan Poe, Robert Bloch and Cornell Woolrich.

Featuring an incredible cast of stars, including William Shatner, Leslie Nielsen, Mary Tyler Moore, Elizabeth Montgomery, Rip Torn, Cloris Leachman, Robert Vaughn, John Carradine, Ursula Andress and many more! Thriller is the ultimate must-have collection for any horror fan.

BONUS FEATURES:

* Series Promo
* Still Galleries

smurr05 05-27-10 05:07 PM

Re: Thriller - The Complete Series: 8/31/10

Cannot wait for this!!!:)

Trevor 05-27-10 05:31 PM

:up:

Fist of Doom 05-27-10 05:55 PM

More special features from TVShowsonDVD.com:

* 29 New Audio Commentaries featuring Arthur Hiller, Patricia Barry, Ernest Dickerson, David Schow, Tim Lucas, Gary Gerani, Jim Wynorski, Richard Anderson, Lucy Chase Williams, Steve Mitchell, Marc Scott Zicree, Alan Brennert, Beverly Washburn, Larry Blamire, Jon Burlingame, Daniel Benton, Ron Borst, Craig Reardon
* Extensive Promotional and Production Still Galleries
* Rare Episode Promos
* Thriller Series Promo
* Isolated Music & Effects Tracks for Select Episodes from Composers Jerry Goldsmith and Morton Stevens