Reload this Page >

Rumors of Thriller (Karloff anthology series) Coming to DVD

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Rumors of Thriller (Karloff anthology series) Coming to DVD

Old 05-27-10, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Thriller - The Complete Series: 8/31/10

I first learned of this show through one of my good friends. He and I are both thrilled with this release.
Old 05-27-10, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Isn't there already a thread for this?
I seem to recall posting a comment on this.
Great news all the same. Can't wait.
Old 05-27-10, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes there is, sorry. Since there hadn't been an official announcement prior, I hadn't bothered to do a search. Here's the other thread, if a mod wants to merge the two:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/56...oming-dvd.html
Old 09-04-10, 10:05 AM
Cool New Member

Re: Rumors of Thriller (Karloff anthology series) Coming to DVD

Bumping this thread to see if anyone who purchased can review. Reading lots of great press on the box. Its very tempting...even though its pricey.
Old 09-04-10, 11:14 AM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I want this badly, but I'm hoping for a Halloween sale featuring this item, I got burned on the William Castle set last year and learned my lesson. But I will defiantly be picking this up in October sale or not.
Old 09-04-10, 04:56 PM
Banned

I picked it up for $87 and change from DVDEmpire.com with a coupon from the Bargains Thread. I so far have watched the first 2 discs, (10 episodes), from Season 1 and I am VERY pleased with my purchase of this set!
Old 09-16-10, 11:06 AM

I am struggling with the $100 price tag and mixed bag of quality and effort Image seems to have put into this. I love this show and have been waiting for years to have these episodes on DVD. I have the Laserdisc from some 15 years ago and the bootleg copies from Canadian Satellite, and some episodes from The Sci-Fi channel on VHS. So I have a pretty good idea of the quality variables.

I put in the disc with "Masquerade" yesterday and am horrified by a rolling Bar Image through nearly the entire episode! For those of you who know the series well, This is a Top 10 Episode for sure and was included on the Laserdisc release. I have checked and it is not present on that version.

I have also noticed an audio distortion on "The Hungry Glass" (My Favorite Episode) which is also not present on the Bootleg.

This is extremely disappointing as the Horror Episodes are what really make this series and these are two of the best. I don't believe I have a "bad" disc as the other episodes on the same disc are fine.

I was willing to live with the awful opening menu on every disc (Tracking shot is too fast can hardly see pictures) combined with the terrible "Jazzy Crime drama Music" Why didn’t they use the classic "Thriller" Title Music? or some of the great music by Jerry Goldsmith or Morton Stevens?

So far the commentaries are pretty boring, Richard Anderson's has been the only mildly interesting one. There are several other actors still alive that really could have made this special. I realize that Universal made no $$ on the great release they put out some years ago, but that is no excuse for this shoddily put together set. When compared to what Image Puts into The Twilight Zone , it is pretty infuriating.

Please, Please , Please If anyone out there has this set, can you check out the two episodes I have mentioned and see if you experience the same thing? I don't expect perfection, but the condition of "Masquerade" and "The Hungry Glass" is unacceptable.
On a positive note most of the other episodes I have checked out look fine : The Cheaters, Pigeons From Hell, Markesan, Andrew Bentley, Purple Room, La Strega, The Grim Reaper, Well of Doom. I will be double checking though after coming across this. I have a 1080P Proj. 92”, and have also noticed on Sony 40” LCD Monitor.
Thanks All.
Old 09-16-10, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I never saw the series before, its way before my time but I absolutely love shows like these so I blind bought it when it came out. It is one of my favorite purchases of the year. I've only watched the first 15 eps so far but I don't really see anything to complain about. The scripts are just amazing, and I am shocked by how noir-heavy the series is. Some eps are better pure noir that films that are in the Warner & Sony noir box sets. I thought this would be a pure macabre type series, but its far from it, I love that so many eps are crime stories. I really haven't seen a problem with the image yet, its not perfect but the series isn't the Twilight Zone so it isn't going to get that kind of treatment. The commentaries are excellent and extremely informative.
Old 09-16-10, 04:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sessa17
I never saw the series before, its way before my time but I absolutely love shows like these so I blind bought it when it came out. It is one of my favorite purchases of the year. I've only watched the first 15 eps so far but I don't really see anything to complain about. The scripts are just amazing, and I am shocked by how noir-heavy the series is. Some eps are better pure noir that films that are in the Warner & Sony noir box sets. I thought this would be a pure macabre type series, but its far from it, I love that so many eps are crime stories. I really haven't seen a problem with the image yet, its not perfect but the series isn't the Twilight Zone so it isn't going to get that kind of treatment. The commentaries are excellent and extremely informative.
I absolutely agree with you!
Old 09-16-10, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")

I loved this show when I was a kid. I remember liking episodes starring Edward Andrews, who was in three.

I will get this as soon as I can find a good price.
Old 09-16-10, 09:36 PM

I picked this up from Amazon even though it was listed at the time for $107.49. I used to catch this on SciFi back when they aired it late at night and remember buying a few VHS sets back in the 90s, one of which was the William Shatner 'Grim Reaper' episode. For me personally, this series topped The Twilight Zone. I haven't watched any episodes on the DVD yet, but I have checked out 30 second clips from all the first season episodes on Itunes and they certainly look impressive.
Old 09-16-10, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")

It's $86.39 from DVD Empire with code 1548537.

I'm still not sure if I want to pay that much.
Old 10-01-10, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

THRILLER is featured today - Friday, October 1st - as the Daily Deep Deal at DDD...priced at $74.95.

If I remember right, the Friday deal usually holds throughout the weekend before it is changed on Monday morning.
Old 10-01-10, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flixtime
THRILLER is featured today - Friday, October 1st - as the Daily Deep Deal at DDD...priced at $74.95.

If I remember right, the Friday deal usually holds throughout the weekend before it is changed on Monday morning.
Very tempting...
Old 10-01-10, 02:54 PM

Thanks for the heads up, flixtime. Have been following the debate here and at CHFB and $75 seems to me to be just the right price for the complete THRILLER (f'ed up as it is). Glad I waited. BTW that price includes shipping.
Old 10-02-10, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Pizza
Very tempting...

Indeed! Just say "no" to willpower! We at DVDTalk should be experts in that regard.

I'm with DVDTalker R. Hilton...$74.95 for THRILLER is a pricepoint I'm comfortable with.
Old 10-04-10, 11:18 AM
Cool New Member

The deepdiscount sale ended this morning 10/4. Its back up to $101.39.