Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-09, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

I watched Texas Chainsaw Massacre - 2003 for the first time. A lot better than I was expecting. R. Lee is great as a horror character. I was going to put in my write-up that I really enjoyed Jessica Biel's stomache, then I thought, who else really looked at her stomache? Maybe these movies are twisting my brain.

(I really am a stomache guy, though)
Old 10-09-09, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

I just watched The Strangers and it got to me a little bit (at least for the first hour). Maybe home invasions are my biggest fear.
Old 10-09-09, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598
that is the one. family/comedy? really?
In the way that it's about a group of kids coming together. Kind of like the old Goosebump books, but it's actually funny and likeable. The only reason the film's rated R is because the kids swear a lot. I'm probably not making it sound as good as it is, but I would highly recommend it, just not as a horror movie.
Old 10-09-09, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by BuddhaWake
I just watched The Strangers and it got to me a little bit (at least for the first hour). Maybe home invasions are my biggest fear.
It totally got to me too. I enjoyed it much more than I expected to.
Old 10-09-09, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

I found The Strangers very effective for a while and then I thought it got rather tedious. I respect what the film was trying to do, though. It seems to be a very divisive movie. I have quite a few friends who say they HATE the movie, absolutely hate. Then again, I know quite a few who have been really creeped out by it.
Old 10-09-09, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
I won't deny that Taxi Driver can be a disturbing, unsettling movie, but it is NOT a horror movie. .
I agree. It's a great movie, I understand. But I wouldn't classify it as horror either.
Old 10-09-09, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by BuddhaWake
I really enjoyed the film. The movie definitely has mood going for it and the constant jump scares can either keep audiences interested or do the exact opposite.

I have a feeling I might not crack my 100 films goal. This past week I've been crazy busy at the two jobs I work at. Most of time choosing sleep instead of enjoying a couple more films.

Hopefully I can rebound and cram a couple more films in the next week to make up the loss
Old 10-09-09, 10:06 PM

Shit, I actually had time to update my list and it says I can't post more than 25 images in my post which screws up how I had my list set up. Is there anyway I can appeal that or do I have to leave it that way?
Old 10-09-09, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dcrw6
Shit, I actually had time to update my list and it says I can't post more than 25 images in my post which screws up how I had my list set up. Is there anyway I can appeal that or do I have to leave it that way?
I ran into the same problem and shot them an email. Ultimately, they can't raise the limit for an individual post and suggested doing multiple posts as a work around. I'm not changing so I'll have to punt. I have a plan that I'll execute next week or weekend.
Old 10-09-09, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scott1598
how is The Substitute (Vikaren)?
I loved it but highly recommend watching it with subtitles instead of dubbing. Despite some roots in Sci-Fi, I feel it nicely falls in the Horror realm. IMDB lists its genres as Comedy | Fantasy | Horror | Sci-Fi.
Old 10-09-09, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just watched Hellraiser and Hellraiser II for the first time tonight, and am amazed. The production value for these two movies is quite unbelievable. I really enjoyed both movies. I think the only thing that I didn't like about either movie was the stop-motion animation in the second movie. I have never liked stop-motion animation (at least at this time period) and it takes me out of the movie, but it was only a minor knock against the second movie because I thought the story was top-notch.

And FWIW, it took me about half an hour to get over the fact that Andrew Robinson played one of the main characters in the first movie. I grew up with him as one of my favorite characters, Garak, in Star Trek: DS9 and it was a little weird to see him not in costume and as a different character in Hellraiser. Don't me wrong, he was fantastic, but it just was hard to get used to for a while. I had also seen him in Dirty Harry, but he wasn't quite as prominent in screen time as this movie.
Old 10-09-09, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Numes
Just watched Hellraiser and Hellraiser II for the first time tonight, and am amazed. The production value for these two movies is quite unbelievable. I really enjoyed both movies. I think the only thing that I didn't like about either movie was the stop-motion animation in the second movie. I have never liked stop-motion animation (at least at this time period) and it takes me out of the movie, but it was only a minor knock against the second movie because I thought the story was top-notch.

And FWIW, it took me about half an hour to get over the fact that Andrew Robinson played one of the main characters in the first movie. I grew up with him as one of my favorite characters, Garak, in Star Trek: DS9 and it was a little weird to see him not in costume and as a different character in Hellraiser. Don't me wrong, he was fantastic, but it just was hard to get used to for a while. I had also seen him in Dirty Harry, but he wasn't quite as prominent in screen time as this movie.
Great I actually like most of the series to some extent. 3 is cheesy and fun but the first 2 are classic. I had the pleasure of meeting Andrew Robinson a couple of years ago and got to talk to him for a few minutes, hes a great guy.
Old 10-09-09, 11:36 PM

It's been decades since I watched either of these movies, but will I suffer if I don't watch The Abominable Dr. Phibes before watching Dr. Phibes Rises Again?
Old 10-10-09, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by SanityRemoved
It's been decades since I watched either of these movies, but will I suffer if I don't watch The Abominable Dr. Phibes before watching Dr. Phibes Rises Again?
Suffer... no. But you probably should since its the better of the 2
Old 10-10-09, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Last year, I planned to do my list similar to how you were doing it when I ran into the pic limit. Not really anything you can do; that's why I linked to the posters in last year's list and will be trying to catch up on doing this year.

Last edited by clckworang; 10-10-09 at 12:22 AM.
Old 10-10-09, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

welp, since i'm currently in the process of getting drunk i plan on popping in Troll 2 for some serious lolz
Old 10-10-09, 12:33 AM

Well shit that does not bode well for me, my list is entirely set up around being able to post images. I'm not really sure what I'm going to do now.
Old 10-10-09, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by SethDLH
Suffer... no. But you probably should since its the better of the 2
Thanks, I'll wait and watch them in order.
Old 10-10-09, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Numes
On a related note, this is the first challenge where I've also watched these two movies. The exception is that I haven't seen them since the 80's. Though I didn't find them as solid as I used to always think they were, there's still a vast amount of originality going on in those movies that definetly make them stick apart from the rest of the pack in that era.

I only wish that the female cenobite from Part I would've returned for Part 2. There's a brief moment where you see her emulating the sensual pain quite--brilliantly!
Old 10-10-09, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Im so happy i decided to watch Troll 2 while drunk... its filling me with so much laughter right now hahaha

YOU CANT PISS ON HOSPITALITY! I WONT ALLOW IT!
Old 10-10-09, 01:46 AM

So I've finally been delving into my masters of horror season 1 set I bought years ago and haven't been all that impressed yet but I just watched Incident on and off a Mountain Road and wow was it awesome. It was a big pick me up after watching Lucky McKee's Sick Girl I was almost ready to call it quits on my little marathon tonight after that but Mountain Road has made me want more
Old 10-10-09, 07:40 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by takingchase
Well shit that does not bode well for me, my list is entirely set up around being able to post images. I'm not really sure what I'm going to do now.
Just break your list up into multiple posts with links between them. Multiple posts are more readable and accessible for others anyway.
Old 10-10-09, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by takingchase
So I've finally been delving into my masters of horror season 1 set I bought years ago and haven't been all that impressed yet but I just watched Incident on and off a Mountain Road and wow was it awesome. It was a big pick me up after watching Lucky McKee's Sick Girl I was almost ready to call it quits on my little marathon tonight after that but Mountain Road has made me want more
There are some definite stinkers in both seasons, but then there are a few awesome ones. I had the same feeling as you after Sick Girl.
Old 10-10-09, 11:22 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 909 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza
I loved it but highly recommend watching it with subtitles instead of dubbing. Despite some roots in Sci-Fi, I feel it nicely falls in the Horror realm. IMDB lists its genres as Comedy | Fantasy | Horror | Sci-Fi.
i would never consider using the dubbing.
Old 10-10-09, 11:32 AM

*watches Night of 1000 Cats*

*dies*

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.