Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Old 10-08-09, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by SanityRemoved View Post
Any eligibility thoughts on Bergman's The Virgin Spring?
I think it should count.
Old 10-08-09, 05:14 PM
Banned

Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I'm sure that we have done this list multiple times over the years of the Challenge, but I plan to have a Christmas Horror Day/Week sometime this month. Here's what I have found so far:

Black Christmas (1974)
Black Christmas (2006)
Christmas Evil (aka: You’d Better Watch Out) (1980)
A Christmas Nightmare (2001)
Christmas Season Massacre (2001)
The Christmas Tale (2005)
The Day of the Beast (1995)
Dead End (2003)
Don’t Open ‘Til Christmas (1984)
Elves (1989)
Feeders 2: Slay Bells (1998)
Gremlins (1984)
Jack Frost (1997)
Jack Frost 2: Revenge of the Mutant Killer Snowman (2000)
Night Thirst (2002)
Night Train Murders (1975)
Psycho Santa (2003)
P2 (2007)
Santa’s Slay (2005)
Satan Claus (1996)
Shredder (2003)
Silent Night, Bloody Night (1974)
Silent Night, Deadly Night (1984)
Silent Night, Deadly Night 2 (1986)
Silent Night, Deadly Night 3 (1989)
Silent Night, Deadly Night 4 (1990)
Silent Night, Deadly Night 5 (1991)
Silent Night, Gory Night (2008)
Tales from the Crypt (1972) (segment "And All Through the House")
Tales From the Crypt (TV, 1989) (season 1 remake of above)
To All a Good Night (1980)
Trees 2: The Root of All Evil (2004)
Turbulence (1997)
Two Front Teeth (2006)
Whoever Slew Auntie Roo? (1971)
Wind Chill (2007)
Great list Trevor. I was planning to have a day for xmas movies but seeing your list I may stretch it out for a few more........time permiting.
Old 10-08-09, 05:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1941) is what I usually use. Searching last year's checklists would yield more I'm sure.
The MPAA ratings didn't start until 1968. Is this based on a rerelease to theaters when there had to be a rating?

Last edited by ZOMBIEDAVE; 10-08-09 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-08-09, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

watching both Mondo Macabro dvds I got in the mail today...

Mill Of The Stone Women- good gothic style horror, but it fell short of great. Something I will revisit again and probably enoy more though.

Satanico Pandemonium- about to start it, I'm hoping for pure sleazy nunsploitation and gore galore
Old 10-08-09, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looking forward to my first viewing of "Leslie" (Pick of the day) tonight!

Originally Posted by SethDLH View Post
Satanico Pandemonium- about to start it, I'm hoping for pure sleazy nunsploitation and gore galore
It's not a bad movie, but I'm sorry to say that it isn't fully-loaded with what you're hoping for.
Old 10-08-09, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Weee! I'm getting laid off again. It was a fun 2 months while it lasted, I guess.
Old 10-08-09, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane View Post

It's not a bad movie, but I'm sorry to say that it isn't fully-loaded with what you're hoping for.
actually, I have no real expectations of gore, just sleaze. Don't know why I even typed that... it sounded right I suppose
Old 10-08-09, 06:53 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Originally Posted by ZOMBIEDAVE View Post
The MPAA ratings didn't start until 1968. Is this based on a rerelease to theaters when their had to be a rating?
Yep.
Old 10-08-09, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by SethDLH View Post
watching both Mondo Macabro dvds I got in the mail today...

Mill Of The Stone Women- good gothic style horror, but it fell short of great. Something I will revisit again and probably enoy more though.

hope you dig it - i know I did
Old 10-08-09, 08:51 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

31 Films in 31 Days - 2009 DVDTalk Horror Challenge

31 FILMS SUBSET

THE ORIGINAL POST

LAST YEAR'S LIST

Date Movie DVDTalker discussion thread
Thursday, October 1st Cube (1997) Numes discussion thread
Friday, October 2nd Nightmare Castle (1965) Chad discussion thread
Saturday, October 3rd Poltergeist (1982) Darth Maher discussion thread
Sunday, October 4th The Manitou (1978) riotinmyskull discussion thread
Monday, October 5th High Tension (2003) Larry C. discussion thread
Tuesday, October 6th The Nanny (1965) Mister Peepers discussion thread
Wednesday, October 7th Vampyr (1932) Trevor discussion thread
Thursday, October 8th Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon (2006) Darth Maher discussion thread
Friday, October 9th The Signal (2007) clckworang discussion thread
Saturday, October 10th Baby Blues (2008) LickTheABCs discussion thread
Sunday, October 11th Cemetary Man (1994) Darkgod discussion thread
Monday, October 12th Death Bed: The Bed That Eats (1977) Dick Laurent discussion thread
Tuesday, October 13th Psycho II (1983) indiephantom discussion thread
Wednesday, October 14th Jack Ketchum's The Girl Next Door (2007) terrycloth discussion thread
Thursday, October 15th Troll 2 (1990) Mister Peepers discussion thread
Friday, October 16th Alligator (1980) NoirFan discussion thread
Saturday, October 17th Let the Right One In (2008) cardsfan111 discussion thread
Sunday, October 18th Zombieland (2009) group discussion thread
Monday, October 19th Spider Baby or, The Maddest Story Ever Told (1968) takingchase discussion thread
Tuesday, October 20th Dawn of the Dead (1978) takingchase discussion thread
Wednesday, October 21st Dawn of the Dead (2004) Numes discussion thread
Thursday, October 22nd Ravenous (1999) Larry C. discussion thread
Friday, October 23rd End of the Line (2007) j. farley discussion thread
Saturday, October 24th Prince of Darkness (1987) killercannibal discussion thread
Sunday, October 25th Paranormal Activity (2007) group discussion thread
Monday, October 26th An American Werewolf in London (1981) Chad discussion thread
Tuesday, October 27th Phantasm II (1988) indiephantom discussion thread
Wednesday, October 28th Final Destination (2000) smashthesymbols discussion thread
Thursday, October 29th Shaun of the Dead (2004) cardsfan111 discussion thread
Friday, October 30th Trick 'r Treat (2008) indiephantom discussion thread
Saturday, October 31st Halloween (1978) John Carpenter discussion thread

Original post in the first discussion thread can no longer be edited, since that thread is closed, so I'm moving it here for daily editing.

Last edited by Trevor; 02-14-10 at 11:34 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-08-09, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Giles View Post
hope you dig it - i know I did
I definitely did. Its not as over the top as I expected, but I really really liked it. There was plenty of blood and debauchery to keep the sleaze factor up and a good story to match. I see myself going back to that one time after time
Old 10-08-09, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Can you help me out finding a movie title?
I saw this a few years ago, all I remember is a blonde
girl turning into a demon chasing and killing people
at a ski lodge. I never saw the whole movie so I
really can't give anymore descriptions other than that.
Old 10-09-09, 01:41 AM

I'm getting really burnt out on bad horror movies. My fiance won't let me watch any good ones while she's at work.

I just watched Tokyo Zombie and while it started off quite promising it got really boring. Now I'm watching Night of the Living Dorks and it's really dumb so far.
Old 10-09-09, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

^ Tokyo Zombie is boring.

Night of the Living Dorks was good. Much more of a comedy than Horror, though. So if you go in expecting a teen comedy more than Dawn of the Dead you'll like it.
Old 10-09-09, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was just comparing my stats to previous challenges. 40 movies in 8 days! Yowza! In the past, I've usually been (At least) in the early 20's by this point. But things have certainly changed with quick online-viewing (Thanks for the links on the 1st page, Chad!) and with more horror movies popping up on cable than usual. By the end of the month, I've always hit the brakes when I reach 100. But the hell with it, I'll try to keep on going this year.

I must say that zombie movies are already getting a little tiring for me. But that's probably because it's so damn murderous trying to keep track of the bodycount in those!
BTW, somebody asked me last year how I count dead bodies and I don't think I ever responded. Well, here goes:
For slashers and the like, it's easy. But supernatural flicks are a bit tricky. I've just narrowed it down to this: If we see somebody die and turn into a zombie,vampire,ghost,etc..Then that counts. (All the other undead beings who were already floating around with no background to provide don't qualify for me) What also counts is if an undead creature (Namely a zombie) gets killed for good. But it sure can be a torture test to remember if I already saw him/her die earlier (Dead and Breakfast really nailed my ass with that one!)
Old 10-09-09, 02:36 AM

Night of the living dorks isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be but I'm watching it on netflix instant watch and the dubbing is pretty bad.

Can anyone tell me if Versus counts? I knew it was action heavy but I thought it was about zombies. I thought I would be in the clear but I checked imdb just in case and it doesn't list it as a sub genre of horror.
Old 10-09-09, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I must say that zombie movies are already getting a little tiring for me. But that's probably because it's so damn murderous trying to keep track of the bodycount in those!
BTW, somebody asked me last year how I count dead bodies and I don't think I ever responded. Well, here goes:
For slashers and the like, it's easy. But supernatural flicks are a bit tricky. I've just narrowed it down to this: If we see somebody die and turn into a zombie,vampire,ghost,etc..Then that counts. (All the other undead beings who were already floating around with no background to provide don't qualify for me) What also counts is if an undead creature (Namely a zombie) gets killed for good. But it sure can be a torture test to remember if I already saw him/her die earlier (Dead and Breakfast really nailed my ass with that one!)
This is why I've been keeping track of everything but body counts. I figured it took too much outta the movie, seemed too much like work.

Plus, my depravity tally has been a bit more fun.
Old 10-09-09, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I started out trying to track body count, but damn does it become a pain in the ass. I kept forgetting to note when someone died, and some people you think are dead turn out to only be knocked out. Also, do you count offscreen deaths, deaths occurring in dream sequences, or bodies that just show up in a morgue? Not to mention the zombie conundrum above.

Screw it, I'll just watch the movies.
Old 10-09-09, 05:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by takingchase View Post
I'm getting really burnt out on bad horror movies.
That's what happened to me the last year I did this. I wound up getting aggravated with all of the terrible DTV garbage I found myself watching. That's why I find myself re-watching a lot of stuff that I like this time around. I started off wanting to make a dent in my unwatched stuff but I figured it's not worth burning out so early with the possibility of bad flicks.
Old 10-09-09, 07:53 AM

Night of the living dorks isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be but I'm watching it on netflix instant watch and the dubbing is pretty bad.

Can anyone tell me if Versus counts? I knew it was action heavy but I thought it was about zombies. I thought I would be in the clear but I checked imdb just in case and it doesn't list it as a sub genre of horror.
I would count it. It has zombies and loads of gore.
Old 10-09-09, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm getting really burnt out on bad horror movies.
Originally Posted by EdTheRipper View Post
That's what happened to me the last year I did this. I wound up getting aggravated with all of the terrible DTV garbage I found myself watching. That's why I find myself re-watching a lot of stuff that I like this time around. I started off wanting to make a dent in my unwatched stuff but I figured it's not worth burning out so early with the possibility of bad flicks.
I go through this same thing. Fortunately, I've got a number of DVDs in my unwatched pile that are films I've seen before and like. If I hit a bad movie or two, I'll shoot for something I know I like after that to kinda wash the bad taste out of my mouth.
Old 10-09-09, 08:43 AM

Bah. I know it's not about numbers, but it's discouraging that I'm missing out on so much because I'm sick. Sigh. At least I'm doing better than last year.
Old 10-09-09, 09:08 AM

Ok, I want to dig into my unwatched pile, but I don't want to watch total crap sooo...if I post the titles here, can people tell me if the movies are any good? I know people have different opinions of horror,but as a general rule, I trust horror fans more than critics, and I've only ever heard bad things about these movies, so if anyone has anything good to say, that would be a change...it would at least let me know if ANYONE liked these movies. I bought them because they sounded good, but then people told me a bunch of bad things about them, and now I'm scared to watch them and face more crap like "Happy Hell Night." I can enjoy a movie so bad it's good, but that one was so bad it went past good and back to bad again (as Enid would say).

Spoiler:
Virus
Interview with the Vampire
The Curse of the Crying Woman
Dark Corners
The Feeding
X:The Man with the X-ray Eyes
Wolfen (actually, I seem to remember some people saying this was good earlier in the thread)
Scream Bloody Murder (this is that "Claw of Terror" movie under another title...)
In Dreams
The Haunting of Molly Hartley (keep in mind,I liked "The Unborn" and the "When a Stranger Calls" remake)
Sisters of Death
Vampire Journals
Old 10-09-09, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

WITCHCRAFT 4 video review is up. Kill me now.
Old 10-09-09, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^^ Claw of Terror is horrible. (prepares for Mister Peepers backlash....)

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.