Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-09, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

god, The Dunwich Horror remake is so boring. Can't believe there is 17 minutes left still.
Old 10-18-09, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

^ Seriously, what is compelling everyone to watch these Sci ...err SyFy movies?? Are you a glutton for punishment or what?

Last edited by Chad; 10-18-09 at 08:11 PM.
Old 10-18-09, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Chad
^ Seriously, what is compelling everyone to watch these Sci ...err SyFy movies?? Are you a glutton for punishment or what?
it was a case of it being on and me being too lazy to try to think of something else to watch.
Old 10-18-09, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn, I just spent over three hours working on updating my list and I'm still not done. I've written up to 44 on here but I've actually watched 68. I just can't write anymore today. I think I'm going to do the dishes and get a few more movies in before bed.
Old 10-18-09, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by dcrw6
Damn, I just spent over three hours working on updating my list and I'm still not done. I've written up to 44 on here but I've actually watched 68. I just can't write anymore today. I think I'm going to do the dishes and get a few more movies in before bed.
I'm the exact same way. I'm finding it really hard to keep up with my list. Every bit of free time I have is devoted to watching movies rather than my write ups.
Old 10-18-09, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Just to be clear, Jaws 2 was very mediocre. It's the original that I love.
That makes sense and I was misreading your post. Since I was talking about Jaws 2 being dull and not that good, and you mention 'you named 2 of my favorite films!' afterwards. Also you mentioning how after how great the original was, and it's a tough act to follow. I was assuming you found Jaws 2 underrated and were a fan of it. But it was a simple misunderstanding.

The original is an amazing movie and I love it as well. I'll have to watch it again sometime.
Old 10-18-09, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
Well I just watched Wolvesbane. It was ok I guess.
Most of my movies that I watch are older ones that I
already have on DVD. Throwing in a few SyFy movies
just mixes things up, thats all. Besides I may get lucky
and find a new title that I can look for to add to my DVD
collection.
Old 10-18-09, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

just updated my list to include short thoughts on each movie
Old 10-18-09, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs
^ be prepared to let down. The sequels are terrible, for the most part.

Damn, you weren't kidding.

Spoiler:
The first sequel one departs from the original source material and brings a scientific explanation by 'reincarnating' the deceased through Sadako's uterus, which is actually the reborn body of Mai. The second completely ignores all events of Rasen, brings back original cast members and is pretty much a continuation of the first ...other than the kid being possessed. Then the prequel gives some crazy explanation about Sadako splitting into two beings?!
Old 10-18-09, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't remember who suggested Undead or Alive back when I was asking about horror westerns, but thank you whoever you are. I just finished watching it and I enjoyed the hell out of it.
Old 10-18-09, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

^ you're welcome.
Old 10-18-09, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

just stumbled upon Phantom of the Opera (1925) right before it started on TCM, stoked!
Old 10-19-09, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by SethDLH
it was a case of it being on and me being too lazy to try to think of something else to watch.
Ditto. At least I taped the Simpson's Treehouse episode and watched it after the Dunwich Horror was FINALLY over.
Old 10-19-09, 04:42 AM

god, The Dunwich Horror remake is so boring. Can't believe there is 17 minutes left still.
I feel your pain.
Old 10-19-09, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

--- MST3K/rifftrax/CT -

I did a search, but couldn't figure out what "CT" stands for in the optional checklist? I seemed to have missed its meaning all this time.

Commentary track?
Old 10-19-09, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Cinematic Titanic. It's the other MST3K offshoot.
Old 10-19-09, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^ Thanks.
Old 10-19-09, 08:42 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan
Ditto. At least I taped the Simpson's Treehouse episode and watched it after the Dunwich Horror was FINALLY over.
Doh! Totally forgot to DVR it last night. Are recent Simpsons episodes available on Hulu or Fox?
just stumbled upon Phantom of the Opera (1925) right before it started on TCM, stoked!
Congrats! Love that film.
Originally Posted by RobCA
I just went through my list, and was surprised to find that of the 69 films I've watched so far for the challenge, 34 of them were ones I'd never seen before.

That ratio will get less impressive from now on though, since the rest of the DVDs I have are of films I've already seen. I've actually been spending the past 10 days or so clearing out my unwatched list, as well as watching the additional horror DVDs I've bought this month. I'm looking forward to finishing those in the next couple of days, since I still have some older DVDs I really want to watch before the challenge is over.

Rob
One positive, I guess, of being a collector/hoarder of films is that I always have hundreds of unwatched films.
Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
Alamo Drafthouse is well known for playing those types of trailers before a movie. This was a fitting zombie theme. Zombie 3 was the most fun of the bunch.
Spent a week in Austin once, and loved the Alamo experience. I'd be there multiple times a week if I lived in Texas.
Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I just got sick again a couple days ago. I had a cough back at the beginning of August where I had stuff in my chest. I could exhale and hear the stuff making noise. The only thing that would stop my cough, for the most part, was nighttime Nyquil.

I've had to take nighttime Nyquil, every 4 hours, from the beginning of August until 2 weeks ago when I started a second round of antibiotics. Monday of last week I was pretty much fine. I had a few coughs here and there during last week, until Friday.

Then I started coughing again and yesterday I was back to how I was before. Today I start my third round of antibiotics. I usually don't mind being sick but having the same thing for over 2 months really sucks and I enjoyed my few days last week of feeling somewhat normal.
Sorry to see this MP. Feel free to ignore this, but what do you have exactly? Prayers/positive thoughts headed your way. You too Lillian if you're still ill.
Originally Posted by clckworang
I went to see Paranormal Activity earlier today. It's the type of movie that I find myself liking the more time I have to think about it. A couple of my friends had told me they really didn't like it; I guess it's not for everyone.
I'm really looking forward to seeing this in the coming few days. I've done my best to avoid all trailers or discussion of it, so I'll be going into it pretty blind.

We still need one more film for the 31 Subset, and had mentioned making it another theater film. How about this one everyone?
Originally Posted by smashthesymbols
I don't remember who suggested Undead or Alive back when I was asking about horror westerns, but thank you whoever you are. I just finished watching it and I enjoyed the hell out of it.
I'll be doing a Western DVDTalk Challenge in June I think, looking forward to at least one horror themed day in it.
Old 10-19-09, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by chuckd21
Cinematic Titanic. It's the other MST3K offshoot.
Maybe I should add /FC to that item as well, for the Film Crew releases. although I forget if any of them are horror.

Edit to add: And should we count the Mike Nelson commentaries done for various Legend DVD releases before he launched Rifftrax?

I don't think I've listened to them, so I don't know if they are riffs or straight commentaries.

Last edited by Trevor; 10-19-09 at 08:47 AM.
Old 10-19-09, 08:49 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

^ the one Mike did for 'Night of the Living Dead' really is a letdown and somewhat offensive to hardcore fans of the film, since it's really not a bad movie.
Old 10-19-09, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll be doing a Western DVDTalk Challenge in June I think, looking forward to at least one horror themed day in it.
Old 10-19-09, 09:02 AM

question: can someone identity for me movie with dead ghost confederate civil war soldiers, I think it was made in the latter part of the 80's
Old 10-19-09, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Giles
^ the one Mike did for 'Night of the Living Dead' really is a letdown and somewhat offensive to hardcore fans of the film, since it's really not a bad movie.
Is it pretty much a riff, or more an actual film commentary? I guess to count for the checklist it has to be a riff.

I haven't listened to it or any of the rifftrax of 'good' films, but fans should know what they're getting into with a Mike Nelson commentary.
Old 10-19-09, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Spent a week in Austin once, and loved the Alamo experience. I'd be there multiple times a week if I lived in Texas.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this in the coming few days. I've done my best to avoid all trailers or discussion of it, so I'll be going into it pretty blind.

We still need one more film for the 31 Subset, and had mentioned making it another theater film. How about this one everyone?
The Drafthouse is great. That's one thing I miss about not living in Austin. There were always cool events going on there. Hell, when I was living there, there was only one! Now there's at least 3, I think.

I wouldn't object to Paranormal Activity being in the 31 days subset, especially since it's been getting a wider release. My area is not exactly a mecca for film, yet it's playing here now. Other opinions?
Old 10-19-09, 09:22 AM

Is it pretty much a riff, or more an actual film commentary? I guess to count for the checklist it has to be a riff.

I haven't listened to it or any of the rifftrax of 'good' films, but fans should know what they're getting into with a Mike Nelson commentary.
it's a riff. Mike doing a riff alone really doesn't work - working off of others he's alot funnier.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.