Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-09, 03:45 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Oh, and the commentaries are 'with or without'. You can watch it multiple times, but only count it once for numbering purposes.
Old 10-12-09, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by Trevor
Are you guys talking about Intruder (1989) ? I can't find a 1988 title of that name.
That's the one and it lists '88 at Netflix.
Old 10-12-09, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right now I'm watching Dead Silence. Sure wish I wasn't... Why does this film have a 6.0/10 on IMDB? Anyway, 40 minutes to go. Please get better.
Old 10-12-09, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
Right now I'm watching Dead Silence. Sure wish I wasn't... Why does this film have a 6.0/10 on IMDB? Anyway, 40 minutes to go. Please get better.
Oh man, is it really that bad? I've got it in my queue for this month.

I just finished watching Rogue. It's pretty straight forward plot wise, but it's near the top of the chart as far as killer crocodile movies go. I'd recommend it if that's your thing.
Old 10-12-09, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Chad
That's the one and it lists '88 at Netflix.
Speaking of Netflix and their errors, I've noticed that a lot of the titles they have in their horror section are a little borderline, and not listed as horror anywhere else.

I imagine you're liberal enough to count anything they count, right?
Old 10-12-09, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dead Silence

Originally Posted by smashthesymbols
Oh man, is it really that bad? I've got it in my queue for this month.
Well, I don't want to ruin it for you, as you may like it. I just finished it. It reminded me a lot of Pulse, in the style and feel, but I actually enjoyed some of that movie. This was slick directing and editing. That's about it. Not even a cute girl to help me through it. I'd say pass.
Old 10-12-09, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I watched it Friday night and was pleasantly surprised by it. It was far from great, but much better than I expected.

I just watched Believers. I'm not sure how it qualifies as horror, but IMDB says it is, so I'll count it.
Old 10-12-09, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Hated that movie.
Old 10-12-09, 07:07 PM

Watched a couple Japanese movies this morning, realized that I am not a big fan of Japanese movies. I can only think of a couple that I like, and I have seen more than your average movie fan I think.

So now I am watching some horror related docs and whatever else I can find on netflix instant view while I have regular internet access tonight.
Old 10-12-09, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by jmsmath
I just watched Believers. I'm not sure how it qualifies as horror, but IMDB says it is, so I'll count it.
How was it? It's in my to watch pile.
Old 10-12-09, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Dead Silence

Well, I don't want to ruin it for you, as you may like it. I just finished it. It reminded me a lot of Pulse, in the style and feel, but I actually enjoyed some of that movie. This was slick directing and editing. That's about it. Not even a cute girl to help me through it. I'd say pass.
Comparing it to Pulse doesn't exactly inspire confidence either, I hated that movie. Oh well, I own it already so I'm watching it. I suppose going in with really low expectations means I can't be disappointed.
Old 10-12-09, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How was it? It's in my to watch pile.
I wasn't very impressed. It had a good premise, but just never delivered.
Old 10-12-09, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by smashthesymbols
Comparing it to Pulse doesn't exactly inspire confidence either, I hated that movie. Oh well, I own it already so I'm watching it. I suppose going in with really low expectations means I can't be disappointed.
I forgot to lower my expectations. Learned a BIG lesson there.
Old 10-12-09, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Question. . . would Macbeth count? It's got 3 witches, a ghost, and the title character is a serial murderer. Kurosawa's adaptation, Throne of Blood, is explicitly supernatural in narrative and has the atmosphere of a ghost story. I'd count that.

Right now, I'm watching Return of the Living Dead. Great movie (Send more paramedics!) Hard to believe I had already graduated college when it was released 24 years ago.
Old 10-12-09, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Gobear
Question. . . would Macbeth count? It's got 3 witches, a ghost, and the title character is a serial murderer. Kurosawa's adaptation, Throne of Blood, is explicitly supernatural in narrative and has the atmosphere of a ghost story. I'd count that.
Not according to IMDB. These fall more into the Drama/Thriller/Fantasy range. You can always make a case for it. I was going to try that with The Wizard of Oz (witches - disturbing imagery - #1 selling Halloween costumes), but I didn't get a warm fuzzy about that, so I dropped it.
Old 10-12-09, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Speaking of Netflix and their errors, I've noticed that a lot of the titles they have in their horror section are a little borderline, and not listed as horror anywhere else.

I imagine you're liberal enough to count anything they count, right?
Yeah, sure.

Although I'm not liberal enough to count The Hellfire Club, which is what I just watched. I just naturally assumed that being a double-feature with a vampire film and having Peter Cushing automatically makes it a horror film. I apparently missed the whole 'rollicking swashbuckler' part in the synopsis.
Old 10-12-09, 08:49 PM

Yeah, sure.

Although I'm not liberal enough to count The Hellfire Club, which is what I just watched. I just naturally assumed that being a double-feature with a vampire film and having Peter Cushing automatically makes it a horror film. I apparently missed the whole 'rollicking swashbuckler' part in the synopsis.
That stinks. When that happens to me, I think of the positives. Mainly, that I eventually want to watch every film I own, so at least it's crossed off my unwatched mountain.

Was it any good? I think I have that double feature also.
Old 10-12-09, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ugh, don't remind me about "Dead Silence." When I finished watching that movie I was so pissed I couldn't stop writing in rhyme.

http://www.cinema-crazed.com/deadsilence-lillian.htm
Old 10-12-09, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Was it any good? I think I have that double feature also.
Yeah, it was a pretty decent adventure flick that could easily be mistaken for a Hammer film.
Old 10-12-09, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm almost scared to ask, but is there anything worth watching in the Toxie's Blood Bank tin?

I've stayed far away since catching "Nightmare Weekend" and holy hell was that an experience. It literally had a $2 hand puppet portraying some kind of high-tech computer and the PQ was so dark I don't know how it actually ended.
Old 10-12-09, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
I had a decent setback yesterday myself. Not sports-related but my stupid smoke detector system chose to go off for no apparent reason. We've got a hard-wired system in place so we had to call the fire department and stand outside for the better part of an hour. By the time we got back into the house, I'd lost the desire to even finish what I'd started.
Being hardwired answers the question right there. I had some smoke detectors that were like that and sometimes, usually around 1:30am, one or two of the ones upstairs would go off for no reason.

After some research, I discovered that the ones that are hardwired can go off from things like slight power fluctuations or any other type of power issues where the current isn't 100% completely steady.

Needless the say, I switched back to battery powered only.

I also found out today my replacement at work starts in two weeks. Nothing like cleaning up the job a previous person screwed up so that when a replacement comes in for their two week trail period, that everything is caught up and improved.
Old 10-12-09, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan
Ugh, don't remind me about "Dead Silence." When I finished watching that movie I was so pissed I couldn't stop writing in rhyme.

http://www.cinema-crazed.com/deadsilence-lillian.htm
Great review. I didn't catch this on any of your challenge lists(?). I'm gonna have to start running my future watches through you, first.
Old 10-12-09, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm almost scared to ask, but is there anything worth watching in the Toxie's Blood Bank tin?

I've stayed far away since catching "Nightmare Weekend" and holy hell was that an experience. It literally had a $2 hand puppet portraying some kind of high-tech computer and the PQ was so dark I don't know how it actually ended.
Somebody said Chiller was good but with Troma selections, after some trial and error, I've learned to avoid everything unless I already know about the movie.

Other than the early stuff, which I grew up with, I've been nothing but disappointed with their later stuff, for the most part.
Old 10-12-09, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by ZOMBIEDAVE
Yes Trevor. That's the one. It's from 1989.
The Paramount vhs has 1988 as the year of release for the film on the top of the box. Meanwhile the copyright for the VHS release is 1989. According to imdb.com, it was released in early 1989 on video in the U.S., so that explains that. Paramount is usually pretty good with putting the year of release on the top of their vhs boxes, so I was just going by that. Either way, it's the supermarket slasher(Intruder), of which i'm only aware of this film that we're talking about for those wondering.
Old 10-12-09, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

And Zombie Pack 2 continues to impress...

I caught FleshEater the other day starring Bill Hinzman, the cemetery zombie from NOTLD. It had everything - the worst possible acting imaginable, scenes ripped directly from Night and an entire scene dedicated to a woman undressing, taking a shower and then putting her clothes back on for no apparent reason that had no relevance to the story whatsoever ...loved every cheesy micro-budget minute of it!

BTW, kudos to whoever recommended Laid to Rest.
You're going through the same pack I borrowed from a friend for the last challenge. I think there was one movie in there that I never got around to, though.

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
I wasn't saying both Carrie and Taxi Driver were the same type of film. It was just an example off the top of my head of another 1976 film that also follows a person living a miserable life leading to a violent climax. One is just more fantastic than the other. But they're still both very different films in style,tone and characters and everything. But the bare basics, "crappy life ,leading to violent release" is similar.

A better "is this horror or not?" comparison could be with Seven. It's easily a police procedural film, psychological drama/thriller, but is widely accepted as a horror film as well.

Like Taxi Driver, it does show a very grim unpleasant view of city life with society's frustrations boiling to a fever pitch, and one sick person decides to punish those around him. The difference is, we only see the aftermath, and then hear his musing near the end on why he did what he did, and it's quite disturbing in the extreme. Also the killer in this case is not the main character and isn't revealed until near the ending. So we're following the detectives around trying to solve the case instead.

Meanwhile in Taxi Driver we are following Travis around and seeing the world through his eyes,and it's not a pretty sight. So both films do deal with rotten city life and diseased minds lashing out at the world, but both deal with it in a different manner. Yet one is considered a horror film and the other is not and i have to wonder why. They both certainly unsettle and disturb the audience painting a grim portrait of city life and how the mind can crumble because of it. If that is not horror, then what is?

It's just something to think about. I thought it'd make a good discussion.
I think the difference would be the level of blood and gore at some of the crime scenes in Seven, along with the fact that the bad guy is a killer that's a bit like the boogeyman for most of the film, unlike a film like Taxi Driver where there isn't really clearly a "bad" guy and there isn't a big body count throughout much of the film.

But to be honest, I know Seven is widely considered a horror film, but that isn't really what I would label it. I wouldn't label Silence of the Lambs as horror either. They both seem more like psychological thrillers or crime thrillers to me. I guess the killings and the gore put them into that category. But then why don't more serial killer procedurals, basically a genre by itself, qualify as horror, like all those cheesey Ashley Judd ones and such?

As for some of the other possibilities that people mentioned as wanting to count as horror, I feel you. I would love nothing better than to put in my new Blu-ray of Snow White and have it count. Hey, it's got a wicked witch and some spooky scenes! It falls into a very similar place as Wizard of Oz.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.