Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-09, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
I really enjoy that movie. Nevermind it's history and other incarnations, I think it's a great watch. There's something about Will Smith and his dog having NYC to themselves for most the movie that really fascinated me.

However, I wished I hadn't watched the alternate ending. I think that was a mistake to include with the DVD.
I just wish they had used actual people instead of cgi.
Old 10-12-09, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan
Scream Bloody Murder (this is that "Claw of Terror" movie under another title...)
Just watched this a few days ago. It's not that bad, but it feels a bit rushed. The acting from the two main characters is solid. The body count is pretty high and the ending is depressing. It's just above average in my book. Considering its ultra-low budget, it speaks well to everyone involved that that movie came out so solidly. It's certainly watchable, but I wouldn't go out of my way to see it again. Hope that helps.

Last edited by Burgundy LaRue; 10-12-09 at 10:52 AM.
Old 10-12-09, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm going to knock out my "giallo" section of the checklist right now with Fulci's The Psychic aka Seven Notes In Black. Its probably the only gialli I own that I haven't seen yet so I'm pretty excited to watch it.
Old 10-12-09, 11:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SethDLH
I'm going to knock out my "giallo" section of the checklist right now with Fulci's The Psychic aka Seven Notes In Black. Its probably the only gialli I own that I haven't seen yet so I'm pretty excited to watch it.
That's the one I used. Love it.
One of his best ever twist endings!
Enjoy!
Old 10-12-09, 11:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
Tonight I ventured down memory lane into vhs territory, and a reminder of just how bad the MPAA used to be on horror films. I viewed Intruder(1988), R rated version from Paramount. It's a fun flick to, with some unique camera work. I just never understood why they opted to include major spoilers on the cover, photos on the back of the box and if anyone has seen the trailer,spoilers there to.
If you get a chance check out the urated dvd. All the f/x aren't cut out and it's a totaly different movie.....for the better.
Old 10-12-09, 12:42 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan
...if I post the titles here, can people tell me if the movies are any good?

Interview with the Vampire
Wolfen (actually, I seem to remember some people saying this was good earlier in the thread)
Scream Bloody Murder (this is that "Claw of Terror" movie under another title...)
I've only seen those three. I enjoyed Interview more than most people, wasn't great, but above average.

Can't remember Wolfen since I haven't seen it since i was a teen. Thanks for the reminder, I'll look for it to watch again myself.

Claw of Terror was a hoot, but I doubt I'll watch it again.
Originally Posted by clckworang
I found The Strangers very effective for a while and then I thought it got rather tedious. I respect what the film was trying to do, though. It seems to be a very divisive movie. I have quite a few friends who say they HATE the movie, absolutely hate. Then again, I know quite a few who have been really creeped out by it.
I loved the first half or so, but then grew tired of it.
Old 10-12-09, 12:48 PM

Anyone getting close to finishing the optional checklist? I'm very determined to finish it as soon as I can, rather than the last day like last year. But each time I start to think about how close I'm getting to finishing it, I realize I have a lot more stuff that needs to be watched.
I finished it this last weekend.
We're taking different approaches. I'm looking for movies that I can use for multiple categories to minimize the time it takes to finish the checklist.

Last year, I wanted to finish the checklist but didn't care when in the month I did so, which meant a lot of scrambling at the end. Now I almost feel like the challenge won't really begin for me until I do finish it, like I can then relax and get on with other movies.

I guess the problem is that I have a lot of movies waiting that either don't easily fit the checklist or have already been checked. I'm thinking in terms of efficiency ... while also keeping up with the 31 days selections.
My thinking is along the same lines.

I wanted to skip the checklist this year, and not feed my OCD, but I couldn't stay away. So I decided to just crank it out as fast as I could, while also keeping up with the 31 subset films.

Now that it's done with, I can relax and concentrate on watching stuff I really want to watch. I love the checklist obviously, but I also hate it.
Old 10-12-09, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ZOMBIEDAVE
That's the one I used. Love it.
One of his best ever twist endings!
Enjoy!
I definitely enjoyed it. Not my favorite giallo (or even favorite Fulci giallo) but it was very good and had a great ending.
Old 10-12-09, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got back from MN this weekend, and just finished updating my list. Not sure what effect the challenge is having on my daily life, but the class I taught in MN scored the highest end-of-course test over any class I've taught in the last seven years... Maybe that's just Minnesotans for ya.

Glad to have unlimited internet again.
Old 10-12-09, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Well, it's a good news/bad news scenario today. The good news is that I'm home today and get to watch some horror movies. The bad news is that it's because I'm home sick with a sore throat. Could be worse.

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
Not sure, but she does make a compelling case. I don't know if I would compare it to Carrie, though. It's almost one, in tone and how it builds and builds towards a final violent catharsis.
But it's like I said, it's an argument that can be made in regard to any number of films. Dark, disturbing, violent, bleak, those elements are present in a lot of films, and merely the presence of those elements doesn't make it a horror movie.

Originally Posted by Trevor
I finished it this last weekend.

My thinking is along the same lines.

I wanted to skip the checklist this year, and not feed my OCD, but I couldn't stay away. So I decided to just crank it out as fast as I could, while also keeping up with the 31 subset films.

Now that it's done with, I can relax and concentrate on watching stuff I really want to watch. I love the checklist obviously, but I also hate it.
Last year I said I wouldn't worry about the checklist, but ended up scrambling to do it. I should just lighten up a bit and quit acting like it's a race. And by race, I don't mean to be "first" or anything like that, more just to get it done with. I have a ton of movies on my DVR that I've recorded, but most don't really fit in with the checklist or have already been checked off. Can you tell that I'm trying really hard to talk myself out of worrying about this checklist?!
Old 10-12-09, 02:12 PM

I think I noticed when I was going through lists that we actually suffered through that film on the same day. It was just awful!
I bet our obsession with the checklist caused that. See, the checklist is evil!
Originally Posted by JerryKILL
I saw this in the theaters as a young kid in 1976, and yes it blew me away. I still have a nostalgic fondness for the '76 King Kong.
Same thing with me. Saw it on the big screen and remembering how awesome King Kong looked.
The film has stuck with me since.
While I admit it may be partly nostalgia, I say that the 1976 version is much better than the most recent one. I love Peter Jackson, and didn't even mind Jack Black, but that film just wasn't as good as the it's two predecessors.
Originally Posted by Chad
So I go to the mailbox to pick up my Netflix selection (The Intruder), and, for the time in 10 years, there's no disc inside. Actually it was nothing more than the address flap you tear off and keep with a USPS stamp stating 'RECEIVED WITHOUT CONTENTS'. Gotta love the postal service.

I've been with them since early 2000 and that's never happened to me..yet.
What a bummer that it was that Intruder. A great slasher!
I must have bad luck or mailmen that hate me. In the last year I've received at least a dozen broken discs or missing contents from Netflix.
How about ''Revenge of the Creature". That's the one I think I'm gonna use. Cool pre-Psycho shower scene too!
Doh! And that would have satisfied several other things in the checklist too. Thanks ZombieDave, hopefully I'll remember this advice next October.
Originally Posted by smashthesymbols
Can anyone recommend any horror westerns? I watched The Burrowers today and it made me want to see more.
The Quick and the Undead
Originally Posted by cardsfan111
Thanks for the comment, JerryKILL. There's some gratification knowing someone is reading the comments you make on your lists. For the record, I really enjoy taking a few moments to browse through the lists thread reading comments/reviews. Seems as if there's a bunch more folks doing that this year.
Darn. You've shamed me into planning to going back and adding comments on my list, although I'm sure I'm already verbose enough in this thread for all of you.
Old 10-12-09, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

And Zombie Pack 2 continues to impress...

I caught FleshEater the other day starring Bill Hinzman, the cemetery zombie from NOTLD. It had everything - the worst possible acting imaginable, scenes ripped directly from Night and an entire scene dedicated to a woman undressing, taking a shower and then putting her clothes back on for no apparent reason that had no relevance to the story whatsoever ...loved every cheesy micro-budget minute of it!

BTW, kudos to whoever recommended Laid to Rest.
Old 10-12-09, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

I just wish they had used actual people instead of cgi.
Agreed. Everything looked extremely laughable and stretchy

I loved that they got Mike Patton to voice all of the creatures though.
Old 10-12-09, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
Not sure, but she does make a compelling case. I don't know if I would compare it to Carrie, though. It's almost one, in tone and how it builds and builds towards a final violent catharsis.
I wasn't saying both Carrie and Taxi Driver were the same type of film. It was just an example off the top of my head of another 1976 film that also follows a person living a miserable life leading to a violent climax. One is just more fantastic than the other. But they're still both very different films in style,tone and characters and everything. But the bare basics, "crappy life ,leading to violent release" is similar.

A better "is this horror or not?" comparison could be with Seven. It's easily a police procedural film, psychological drama/thriller, but is widely accepted as a horror film as well.

Like Taxi Driver, it does show a very grim unpleasant view of city life with society's frustrations boiling to a fever pitch, and one sick person decides to punish those around him. The difference is, we only see the aftermath, and then hear his musing near the end on why he did what he did, and it's quite disturbing in the extreme. Also the killer in this case is not the main character and isn't revealed until near the ending. So we're following the detectives around trying to solve the case instead.

Meanwhile in Taxi Driver we are following Travis around and seeing the world through his eyes,and it's not a pretty sight. So both films do deal with rotten city life and diseased minds lashing out at the world, but both deal with it in a different manner. Yet one is considered a horror film and the other is not and i have to wonder why. They both certainly unsettle and disturb the audience painting a grim portrait of city life and how the mind can crumble because of it. If that is not horror, then what is?

It's just something to think about. I thought it'd make a good discussion.
Old 10-12-09, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Agreed. Everything looked extremely laughable and stretchy

I loved that they got Mike Patton to voice all of the creatures though.
Did they? Thats rad. Dude has done some great music. But I agree that they looked laughable... and almost like they weren't finished with them or something.
Old 10-12-09, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you get a chance check out the urated dvd. All the f/x aren't cut out and it's a totaly different movie.....for the better.
I used to have a terrible quality vhs copy someone gave me for free years ago. It was uncut and the first time I saw the film. But the picture quality was so dark,i couldn't see a thing, and the audio quality was so low and muddled with static noise,it was impossible to hear anything.

So that's why I decided to locate the Paramount vhs, and was surprised to actually see and hear the film this time. Of course all the gore and aftermath stuff is cut out, but at the least the audio and picture quality were far better than the uncut copy I had. It is amazing how much was cut from the film when seeing the uncut scenes though. I can't believe so much was cut from the film as it's quite drastic. It's a good reminder of how strict the MPAA used to be on horror films though. I almost forgot all about that since they've loosened up a bit in the last few years.

I still haven't gotten around to picking up the dvd. I'm not sure what the quality is like and can't find any reviews. I may pick it up eventually, though I think it'd be great if a special edition were released.
Old 10-12-09, 03:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
I used to have a terrible quality vhs copy someone gave me for free years ago. It was uncut and the first time I saw the film. But the picture quality was so dark,i couldn't see a thing, and the audio quality was so low and muddled with static noise,it was impossible to hear anything.

So that's why I decided to locate the Paramount vhs, and was surprised to actually see and hear the film this time. Of course all the gore and aftermath stuff is cut out, but at the least the audio and picture quality were far better than the uncut copy I had. It is amazing how much was cut from the film when seeing the uncut scenes though. I can't believe so much was cut from the film as it's quite drastic. It's a good reminder of how strict the MPAA used to be on horror films though. I almost forgot all about that since they've loosened up a bit in the last few years.

I still haven't gotten around to picking up the dvd. I'm not sure what the quality is like and can't find any reviews. I may pick it up eventually, though I think it'd be great if a special edition were released.
The quality is is very good on the legit Dvd. It was so low budget it was never going to look great. But you can see everything clearly and it's worth it, believe me. I think Amazon has it, altho it may be oop. But used one's can be had. I know it's avaliable thru Netflix.
Old 10-12-09, 03:32 PM

Are you guys talking about Intruder (1989) ? I can't find a 1988 title of that name.
Old 10-12-09, 03:33 PM
Banned

Can you use any pre-MPAA movie for the unrated movie list or are their only certain titles?

Also,do you count an audio commentary or do you just add it to the movie? ie: 1. Night of the Living Dead w /commentary. or
1. movie
2.commentary
Old 10-12-09, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Are you guys talking about Intruder (1989) ? I can't find a 1988 title of that name.
Yes, that's what they're talking about.
Old 10-12-09, 03:38 PM
Banned

Yes Trevor. That's the one. It's from 1989.
Old 10-12-09, 03:40 PM
Banned

And it's cheap used......................
Old 10-12-09, 03:42 PM

Can you use any pre-MPAA movie for the unrated movie list or are their only certain titles?
Any film that was made before the MPAA counts. Of course, those same films are sometimes later re-submitted and given a rating, so they could count twice I guess.
Old 10-12-09, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Did they? Thats rad. Dude has done some great music. But I agree that they looked laughable... and almost like they weren't finished with them or something.
Yup, he did all the Creature Voices and Vocal Effects. Patton is definitely one of Rock's most talented vocals. His (many) projects show really how ridiculous his range and technique are. He even does Italian Opera (he speaks fluent Italian)

He's always working on music but has done lots of Voices/Vocals for a bunch of different Video Games as well.

With I Am Legend, I would've been fine if all the Creatures looked like the Reapers from Blade II
Old 10-12-09, 03:44 PM
Banned

Any film that was made before the MPAA counts. Of course, those same films are sometimes later re-submitted and given a rating, so they could count twice I guess.
Thanks Trevor.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.