Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

What weird DVD habits do you have? (Help me with my paper!)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

What weird DVD habits do you have? (Help me with my paper!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-09, 07:07 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
Re: What weird DVD habits do you have? (Help me with my paper!)

I'll just share three, although I also do many of the things listed above. I know most of them are silly and just part of my OCD, but I have what I consider to be logical reasons behind all of them.
  1. I save all of the stickers on the plastic wrap, carefully cutting them out and placing them inside the case. Why? I consider any text about the film/DVD to be part of the total package.

2. Sometimes, I even put the store price stickers inside the case. Those stickers can be used for rebates sometimes, but I mainly put them there because I want the plastic wrap to be clean so that I can recycle it.

3. I always save the tape strip on the top of the DVD with the title printed on it. I put this inside the case, sometimes using it's stickiness to secure the text stickers I've cut from the plastic. Mainly, I save this strip for when I covert the case to a thinpack case. I put the strip on the outside long edge of the original case, which goes into storage once I convert.
Old 10-05-09, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone should be documented on film - we are all a bunch of loonies!
Old 10-05-09, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dillkid
I can't go to sleep without them being put back on their shelves...
I've been guilty of this before... right now I have a stack out at home of Horror/Halloween related films to watch and it bugs me having them not put away in their correct spots.
Old 10-05-09, 10:03 AM
Cool New Member

WOW! I thought I was the only one with the OCD DVD thing!!! When I am at the store and there are some DVDs I want, I have to of course pick out the ones in back of the first DVD to get to the virgin copy, the one with no markings and of course I have to shine the case to the light as I hold it to be sure there are no markings but sometimes you ever notice that if you see markings that it could be the shrinkwrap and not the case itself? Yeah, this bothers me so I have to try and find one without this. I sometimes think that any workers at the store may think I am trying to steal the DVD or something as I spend more time then I need to with doing this but, when you have OCD it really cannot be helped.

Ok, so once I find that perfect DVD that has no markings and is totally clean of any markings, then when I go to pay for it, I sometimes cringe at how the cashier will handle the DVD, you know, when they have to drag it across that deactivator that when you walk out the alarms won't go off. Well, many times these cashiers will really press hard and of course this will make marks on the shrinkwrap but this is ok AS LONG as its on the wrapper ONLY!

So, when I am home, I will get ready to open the DVD but I have to have a nice clean place to place the DVD case on once I get it all opened.

So, once the shrinkwrap comes off and all those dredfull security stickers are off, and, just doing all this can take what seems like an hour because sometimes those stickers are tough to get off, even tho it says on them "Pull Here", and so when you pull, what happens many times is it grabs the plastic of the case and its hard to tell if you have the sticker or the plastic but it does look like the sticker and so when you pull, it then rips off some of the plastic and that really ticks me off. See, with DVDs I want perfection,or as close as it can be to perfection. Well, ok, once all this is off, and I open the case, then there is that black strip which must come off right away and sometimes this is hard to pull off and then theres times where when you grab it, its sharp and you end up with a cut finger trying to pull it up!

So, once thats off, I then have to take out the DVD and look at the play side to be sure theres no dust or markings on it and, sometimes, just sometimes there will be the DVD with markings on it, kinda like scratches or something and, when I see this it really bothers me and makes me think the DVD won't be able to play.

So, after I have checked the DVD and all, I then have to do 1 more thing and that is, I have to vacuum the inside of the case, to be sure its clean of dust and then, I put the DVD back in and then close it and then I have to vacuum the whole case, front and back and the sides to be sure its all free of dust! I HATE dust!!!

Yeah, you see, OCD , its OCD what makes me have to do what I do with DVDs!

And ok, one more thing, when you have new DVDs, for the next several days ,you have to just take the DVD from the shelf and just look at the front and back covers, I do this all the time!!

DVDs are fun and enjoyable but what they make us who have OCD do!!
Old 10-05-09, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I used to be very picky about the DVDs that I would pick out at store. Shake them a little bit, check the spin to make sure the plastic isn't stuck on the side, etc. But since I started buying about 90% of stuff online I guess the only weird thing I have left is that title that come with the white title sticker on the top of the case, I always peel that sticker off and put it on the back on the case behind were the insert would normally go.
Old 10-05-09, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by tofu
Me too. I also have to get rid of every piece of the security sticker. None of it can remain on the case.
yep I remove those too, got to be careful sometimes of the pointed metal piece underneath the plastic sticker on the inside of the dvd case.

I'll save original stickers on the outside of the case (not the generic ones holding the sides) but advertisement like ones.
Old 10-05-09, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wonder how all of you would react if you discovered bird mites crawling all over your DVDs. This was one of the worst experiences in my life (don't ever let birds and cute little baby birds stay under your air conditioner, because they bring these evil bugs into the house). I was prepared for the news of "i'm sorry, to get rid of the bugs, you must get rid of your dvds".

The exterminator told me to wipe down each DVD case and DVD itself with some type of alcohol. I said fuck that. Took my chances that the mites didn't crawl in the dvds themselves (they were just crawling on top of my DVD shelf though. I alcoholed and vacuumed the whole room though for a couple of days. And luckily they all died off.
Old 10-05-09, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,821 Likes on 1,222 Posts

Originally Posted by Editor, The JEI
I carefully remove the shrink-wrap from the week's DVDs and fold/roll it into a tight bundle, then secure it with the security stickers. Then I toss it into the trash with a thunk.

I call it "owl pellets."
This, too, and if I'm opening multiple DVDs I try to bundle all the wrap into one big ball, and use all the stickers to secure it. The tighter the ball, the fewer flaps of plastic sticking out, the better. Will often peel and re-tape to get a better fit.
Old 10-05-09, 11:10 AM

I have too many DVD habits to list, but I'll attempt to give you a few:

1. I never get rid of a DVD, even if it's horrible & I'll likely never watch it again.

2. I keep a running list of my entire collection & have started to keep track of every movie I watch (Date, genre, title). If I can I'll watch a DVD a day.

3. I don't loan movies out (very very seldom). Someone would have to have the same care standards that I do.

4. I won't re-buy a movie I already own on Blu-Ray. (At least not yet).

5. I try and go through my collection (watching) every couple of years (which is getting harder & harder to do as my collection grows).

6. I'll always opt for an extended or unrated edition if available. (Though not all are always better - Rob Zombie's Halloween for example)

7. I often have to buy an entire series even if I don't necessarily like every entry (Ex: Friday the 13th, Matrix, Star Wars, etc....)

8. I buy across all genres but they seem to be in this order (Highest to lowest) Horror, Sci-fi, Drama, Action, Documentary, Comedy, Animated

9. I surf IMDB & DVDtalk while at the store looking for new stuff to buy, but sometimes still end up getting stuff that doesn't have the best reviews. LOL

10. I prefer original posters for DVD covers, but don't always have a choice.

11. I have around 1500 movies in various formats (mostly DVD, but also Blu-Ray & HD). I don't feel like I have to many but sometimes worry that at some point in the future my collection will be obsolete.

12. I don't have enough shelf space & often trade out what I have on the shelves with stuff I have in trunks. I want to get more shelving, but always opt to buy more movies instead of more shelving.

13. I very rarely buy a movie I haven't seen unless it's used or I've heard enough good stuff from sources I trust to warrant a somewhat educated purchase. The only exception is when I'm somewhere like Big Lots and the new movies are only $2-$3, then I'll generally end up buying a bunch without researching them.

14. I'll buy a friend or family member a certain DVD to (hopefully) ensure they'll watch it.

15. I always end up walking around a store with an armful of movies and just before check out whittle it down.

16. I generally have a list of movies I want on a scrap of paper that I take with me everywhere in case I end up stopping to look for movies.

13. I'm at the point where I search for older more obscure films or foreign films because I've seen / own most of the mainstream stuff from the past 20 years.

14. Because of nostalgia I tend to say things like: 'Horror movies where so much better in the 80s' while my friends who haven't seen the particular 80s horror movie we are watching roll their eyes and groan.

I hope some of this helps! Good luck on your paper!

Last edited by Nikka488; 10-05-09 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Thought of more quirks
Old 10-05-09, 11:15 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee
This, too, and if I'm opening multiple DVDs I try to bundle all the wrap into one big ball, and use all the stickers to secure it. The tighter the ball, the fewer flaps of plastic sticking out, the better. Will often peel and re-tape to get a better fit.
We have a winner!

But must admit that I've done that too. Except with just the stickers, I'm OCD about recycling the plastic wrap.
Old 10-05-09, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Al_Tahoe
Don't know why, but one of the first things I do when I get a new DVD is peel off and throw out the black security tag from inside the case.

As if it were some sort of government tracking device, and now that I've gotten rid of it I'm back in "stealth" mode.
Originally Posted by tofu
Me too. I also have to get rid of every piece of the security sticker. None of it can remain on the case.
Glad I am not the only one that does this. Even though I put every thing into a slim case, I still must peel off all the security stickers, and all of that stupid magnetic stickker.
Old 10-05-09, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BullGooseLoony
Like DKEDVD, I've absolutely lost my mind regarding DVDs. My strange habits:

5) I wear leather gloves whenever I handle my DVDs and/or DVD cases. I want them as close to new as possible. My collection has no fingerprints on it whatever. Eat that, DKEDVD! Now, who's crazy?

9) When I watch my DVDs, I dust the TV, DVD player, DVD tray, and make my bed.

11) No one can touch or even stand near my DVDs.
Those are the only three things that made me question your sanity a little. Although, in reviewing them I can understand wearing gloves when handlign the dvds. I can also understand not letting other people touch the collection. I only let certain people borrow from the collection, and that list is about to be one shorter.
But why do you need to make your bed before watching a dvd?
Old 10-05-09, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by GenPion
1) 3) Alphabetize, except for all Directors (which I put in order of the film's release dates).

6) Always add new purchases to DVDAf ASAP. Always delete movies I'm getting rid of immediately. Monitor my "To Watch" and "Watched" sections, etc. You get the idea.
I have thought about grouping stuff by directors. Do you group everything by director, or just the films of certain directors?

I also immediately add all dvds to DVDProfiler. If there isnt an entry for it yet, I put in the title and UPC as a placeholder, until I have time to make a proper entry and submit it.
Old 10-05-09, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jjcool
Yeah, that one even I don't know.
Old 10-05-09, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

- I always know what I'm going to buy before walking into a store (or going to a web-site) - I never browse for anything, nor go to a store just to look around.

- Almost every purchase is of something I've already seen - exceptions are works from directors/writers who's work I am deeply familiar with.

- my only price restriction is to never pay full MSRP, or too close to it, but that's it.

- with just over 1K dvds/blurays, I'm at the point where my shelf-space is limited so now adays (and I just don't want or need to own more than that), I must sell/give away an existing dvd for every new purchase - it's been easy to do so far.
Old 10-05-09, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by Editor, The JEI
I carefully remove the shrink-wrap from the week's DVDs and fold/roll it into a tight bundle, then secure it with the security stickers. Then I toss it into the trash with a thunk.

I call it "owl pellets."
Ha, ha. I do the exact same thing.

I have a much bigger collection than any of my friends and they all think that I'm crazy. But compared to many of you, I'm pretty loosey-goosey. If I buy in a store, I'll shake it to make sure there isn't a floater. But otherwise, as long as I don't see any major damage, I'm happy. I keep my collection alphabetized, with my Blu-rays and HD-DVDs in one section, majority of boxed sets and TV sets together, and a separate section strictly for music titles. I just have one big shelf unit in my living room. That's where I keep the HD titles and boxsets/TV sets. As my Blu-ray collection has grown, I've had to take boxsets and/or TV titles out from that location and then they go into my spare room, where I have quite a few smaller racks that hold the bulk of my DVD collection. I used to keep my entire collection in my living room, but that's just too many damn DVDs and racks. After years of that, I just couldn't take it anymore.
Old 10-05-09, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee
Originally Posted by Trevor
We have a winner!

But must admit that I've done that too. Except with just the stickers, I'm OCD about recycling the plastic wrap.
Oh my... I do the SAME thing, almost. I usually make a few smaller balls so that my cat can play with them, but I try to have all the stickers such that there are no flaps of plastic sticking out.

Old 10-05-09, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Those are the only three things that made me question your sanity a little. Although, in reviewing them I can understand wearing gloves when handlign the dvds. I can also understand not letting other people touch the collection. I only let certain people borrow from the collection, and that list is about to be one shorter.
Even in the asylum, some inmates question each others' sanity.

Seriously, to other people, your "I can understand" points sound incomprehensible. You single this one out as the one that needs answering? Any "normal person" reading this thread would think we're all insane.
Old 10-05-09, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dvdbase
1) I shake the case to see if there are floaters.

2) I always check the alignment of the cover insert to see if it is sticking out the top or bottom enough to get damaged when removing the security stickers. This use to not be an issue, but they seem to be using commercial grade adhesive on the security stickers now.
Yep, that's about all I do except for unwrapping and watching them. Although the only other thing routine would be to enter my latest purchases into my spreadsheet and update my online catalog.

But the whole wearing gloves things for fear of getting any prints on anything ....all I have to say is OCD, insanity, whatever you folks call it ...hey, to each their own, but I just don't understand it. DVDs individually or collectively aren't like fine jewelry or original prints of art, objects of which I could understand such inane treatments for, but DVDs? Very interesting.

But I loved the psychological profiling! Best thing I've read all week ....
Old 10-05-09, 01:04 PM

In Canada the past few years, almost all DVD artwork has been bilingual (front, spine and back) and I think it completely ruins the aesthetic. I refuse to buy them and I get the American versions instead off amazon.com or from American eBay sellers.
Old 10-05-09, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by visitor Q
DVDs individually or collectively aren't like fine jewelry or original prints of art, objects of which I could understand such inane treatments for, but DVDs? Very interesting.
It's personal value, not rarity or financial value. Although in a lot of cases, it can be. I have a DVD that's, new and sealed, can go for more than $100. The store-exclusive steelbooks go oop and are in limited amount to be begin. So I have my reasons, the same reasons everyone else here has their reasons for their behavior.

On a DVD message board, no one should be saying "oh wow THAT's crazy."
Old 10-05-09, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I have thought about grouping stuff by directors. Do you group everything by director, or just the films of certain directors?

I also immediately add all dvds to DVDProfiler. If there isnt an entry for it yet, I put in the title and UPC as a placeholder, until I have time to make a proper entry and submit it.
If I have more than one film from a Director, they are then grouped together. It is not just for my "favorites". If they made multiple films good enough for me to have in my collection then I feel that they deserve to be separated from the rest and be placed in the one of the coveted Director's spots.

I want to be a Director, and the biggest stars of all films are the Directors, so this is a natural fit for me. Most of my friends don't seem to understand how I keep track of who made what but that's actually pretty easy for me.

By the way, on the subject of weird DVD habits, I can't believe some of you vacuum your DVD cases or wear leather gloves. Is that serious?

Of course, I'm guilty of a lot myself. And I have to make my bed before watching a movie as well. I watch while sitting on my bed and I can't enjoy a movie to its fullest if there is a distraction in my rooms appearance. It must be neat and orderly.
Old 10-05-09, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know that right now there is some marketing guru for some studio reading this and trying to figure it out:

1. People need to make their beds before watching their DVDs.
2. ???
3. Profit.

Why hasn't the CGC tapped into this market somehow? They put their name on comics that nobody can read. Why not DVDs that nobody can watch?
Old 10-05-09, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Cheato
I know that right now there is some marketing guru for some studio reading this and trying to figure it out:

1. People need to make their beds before watching their DVDs.
2. ???
3. Profit.

Why hasn't the CGC tapped into this market somehow? They put their name on comics that nobody can read. Why not DVDs that nobody can watch?
I must say, this post made me
Old 10-05-09, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BullGooseLoony

On a DVD message board, no one should be saying "oh wow THAT's crazy."
People in a mental institution have every right to call each other crazy, and you, my friend, are cuckoo!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.