DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Park Chan Wook's The Vengeance Trilogy (8 Disc Set) - 11/24/09 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/562254-park-chan-wooks-vengeance-trilogy-8-disc-set-11-24-09-a.html)

tylergfoster 09-28-09 07:22 PM

Park Chan Wook's The Vengeance Trilogy (8 Disc Set) - 11/24/09

Press release from Palisades Tartan popped up in my mail today. I had originally thought that this release was just going to be the three 1-discs with a box set sleeve over it, but I guess not.

Originally Posted by Palisades Tartan
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...NG_TRIL_KA.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...9/image003.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...9/image004.jpg

The Ultimate Park Chan-Wook Vengeance Trilogy Box-Set
Palisades Tartan’s 8-Disc VENGEANCE TRILOGY box-set available in stores November 24th

LOS ANGELES — September 28, 2009 — For Immediate Release —You’ve been asking, we’ve been planning and this November Palisades Tartan will release the most exciting, impressive and comprehensive Vengeance Trilogy box-set the world has ever seen! Featuring 8-discs and more special features then any other set on the planet (including the Korean version), celebrity essays as well as a few surprises, Palisades Tartan will release Park Chan-Wook’s VENGEANCE TRILOGY November 24th in DVD stores across the country.

SYMPATHY FOR MR. VENGEANCE is the first film in Park Chan-Wook’s acclaimed Vengeance trilogy. The sister of a simple and deaf factory worker, Ryu, falls ill and needs a kidney transplant, however he is not a match so he looks to the black market which he can’t afford. After being fired from his job, his rebel girlfriend suggests that he kidnap the child of his former boss, Park. When the girl accidentally dies, her father seeks vengeance for her death.

OLDBOY is Park Chan-Wook’s classic genre-defining revenge tale of a man who’s wrongly been imprisoned for 15 years and is then suddenly released. Given money and a cell phone, he’s challenged to discover who incarcerated him in the first place, but he only has five days to uncover the truth. Even with a mysterious young girl to help him, his tortures have just begun. Cannes-winner championed by Tarantino, OLDBOY regularly appeared in top ten best movie polls across the country and is listed as one of the all-time best films as rated by IMDB users.

LADY VENGEANCE, the final film in the trilogy was created by Chan-Wook for his daughter. After being wrongfully convicted of kidnapping and murdering a young child, a beautiful young woman (Lee Young-ae) is imprisoned for 13 years. While in prison she gains the respect and loyalty of her fellow cellmates, all the while plotting her vendetta on the man responsible (OLDBOY’s Choi Min-Sik). Upon her release she sets in motion an elaborate plan of retribution, but what she discovers is a truth so horrifying, even revenge doesn’t seem punishment enough.

Director Park Chan-Wook’s most recent film THIRST won the Jury Prize at Cannes (2009) and was released in the US earlier this year by Focus Features. All three films in his celebrated Vengeance trilogy collection have garnered an impressive 28 Film Festival wins at prestigious venues including Cannes, Venice, Chicago, Fantasia, Stockholm, Hong Kong and the Sitges International Film Festival to name a few.

Each film is recorded in their original language (Korean) and offer English and Spanish subtitles. Each title is presented in anamorphic widescreen, Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound and DTS Surround Sound 5.1. Special features include an essay on each film by celebrated filmmakers, actors and writers, including Eli Roth. Additional features include but are not limited to: audio commentary by Park Chan-Wook and actor Ryoo Seung-wan, behind the scenes, “The Process of Mr. Vengeance”, “My Boksu Story”, storyboards, photo gallery, filmographies, film notes and crew interviews (SYMPATHY FOR MR. VENGEANCE); three audio commentaries, five behind-the-scenes featurettes, “Le Grand Prix at Cannes” and deleted scenes with commentary (OLDBOY); regular and “Fade-To-White” versions, character interviews (Lee Geum Ja, Prof. Baek), “Prisoners”, “Families”, “Lady Vengeance at the 62nd Venice Film Festival”, trailer, film notes, making-of and deleted scenes (LADY VENGEANCE).

Tartan Films was originally founded in 1984 in the UK and is credited with bringing Asian Extreme film to the West as well as some of the most compelling art house films of the last quarter century. In May 2008, Palisades Pictures acquired Tartan Films US library assets and two months later, acquired a majority of Tartan Films UK’s 400+ film library assets. The new company Palisades Tartan has operations both nationally and internationally. Palisades Tartan will continue to expand an already distinctive and provocative slate of films by focusing on quality film acquisitions, thus significantly increasing the size of their overall library in both territories. Palisades Pictures and its parent company Palisades Media Corp is a prestigious financier of print & advertising for the independent film market. Together with its affiliate, Palisades Media Asset Fund, Palisades has securitized and financed more than 550 films.

www.PalisadesTartan.com

VENGEANCE TRILOGY Box Set - (SYMPATHY FOR MR. VENGEANCE / OLDBOY / LADY VENGEANCE)
Palisades Tartan Video
Genre: Thriller/Foreign
Rating: Not Rated (Special Features Not Rated/Subject to Change)
Language: Korean (English Subtitles)
Format: DVD Only / 8-disc (Box-set)
Running Time: Approximately 361 minutes (Not Including Special Features)

MR. VENGEANCE – 129 min (Not Including Special Features)
OLDBOY– 120 min (Not Including Special Features)
LADY VENGEANCE – 112 min (Not Including Special Features)

Suggested Retail Price: $49.99
Pre-Order Date: October 27th 2009
Street Date: November 24th 2009
Catalog #: TVD8307
UPC Code: # 842498000076

$50 for eight discs? That's a steal.

manicsounds 09-28-09 07:28 PM

Re: Park Chan Wook's The Vengeance Trilogy (8 Disc Set) - 11/24/09

So, how many discs for each movie, huh? I certainly hope for no digital copies discs...

riotinmyskull 09-28-09 07:29 PM

can we please get this on BLU!!??!!??

tylergfoster 09-28-09 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by manicsounds (Post 9737737)
So, how many discs for each movie, huh? I certainly hope for no digital copies discs...

I feel like the release would mention if there were digital copies. If there is a digital copy disc, maybe one disc could hold all three movies on it. That would mean two discs each for the Sympathy movies and the disc contents of the tin for Oldboy.

Boba Fett 09-28-09 07:38 PM

This is interesting. The three-disc Oldboy set was packed. I'm taking a guess here and this will be the breakdown.

Mr. Vengeance:
Disc 1: Movie
Disc 2: Special Features

Oldboy:
Disc 2: Making of Doc.
Disc 3: Additional Features

Lady Vengeance:
Disc 2: Fade to B/W Version
Disc 3: Special Features

LickTheABCs 09-28-09 08:17 PM

I already own the Asian Extreme Oldboy, Oldboy Blu-ray and 3-disc tin. Asian Extreme versions of Mr. and Lady Vengeance and the Fade-to-Black and White version of Lady..

..but I'll probably get this too...

animatedude 09-28-09 08:23 PM

lol @ "including Eli Roth"

this hack will never stop,ya?

OldBoy 09-28-09 09:36 PM

wow! what a great set and a fan of this trilogy's wet dream. i don't know. the only thing i don't have is Mr. Vengeance and currently can't play the LV fade to B/W because it is only in DTS so that is worth considering as i was looking for a version that wasn't only DTS. and really MSRP only $49.99?? that seems like such a steal.

also, is this listed on the site yet?

project86 09-28-09 09:39 PM

I own all three... but dadgummit this is a nice set. I'm in :(

alfonsosoriano 09-28-09 10:15 PM

Eh, I already own all three, including Oldboy twice. I'll pass, even though I love the films.

Solid Snake 09-28-09 10:25 PM

I only own the 3 disc Oldboy...I'll probably bite on this one if it includes that version's features. Never seen the other two though I've always wanted to, especially Lady Vengeance.

MTRodaba2468 09-28-09 10:28 PM

Naturally, I see this not two weeks after getting my Oldboy tin in the mail...

kstublen 09-28-09 10:45 PM

Great news. I've been holding off getting these in hopes that there would be an ultra-packed-collection one day, and looks like waiting paid off.

tylergfoster 09-28-09 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468 (Post 9738225)
Naturally, I see this not two weeks after getting my Oldboy tin in the mail...

Even if you discount the 3 Oldboy discs as being worth it, that's still $50 for 5 discs (and it will likely be cheaper online).

Rypro 525 09-28-09 11:02 PM

already have this set technically (the 3 disc oldboy tin), the fade to b/w 2 disc korean version of Lady Vengeance, and the 1 disc mr vengeance

tylergfoster 09-28-09 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525 (Post 9738311)
already have this set technically (the 3 disc oldboy tin), the fade to b/w 2 disc korean version of Lady Vengeance, and the 1 disc mr vengeance

That's 2 discs short!

Rypro 525 09-28-09 11:15 PM

lol true. also the bonus features of Lady Vengeance aren't subtitled. I wonder, is the original 2 disc korean version that has the fade version oop? if so, i could prob make a killing

jrsl76 09-29-09 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull (Post 9737738)
can we please get this on blu!!??!!??

+1

asianxcore 09-29-09 02:23 AM

+2

Wish the Oldboy transfer was better on the U.S release of the Blu-Ray.

Also, I believe an HK release of Sympathy For Lady Vengeance dropped recently.
http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID....qx/details.htm

Still makes the 2nd film MIA anyway.

I'll probably bite on this set. Man, the Fall is proving to be an insane time to buy DVD's.

Richard Malloy 09-29-09 08:36 AM

Not interested due to lack of hi-defness, but a complete "Vengeance" set really should include "CUT".

Damfino 09-29-09 10:09 AM

+3

I already have these on Korean imports. I really don't want to double dip on anything anymore unless I can upgrade to Blu at the same time.

Solid Snake 09-29-09 10:30 AM

I'd like these on Blu. Especially Oldboy with all those awesome features.

horroru 09-29-09 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs (Post 9737836)
I already own the Asian Extreme Oldboy, Oldboy Blu-ray and 3-disc tin. Asian Extreme versions of Mr. and Lady Vengeance and the Fade-to-Black and White version of Lady..

..but I'll probably get this too...

Know that you are not alone! I own the Asia Extremes, the Tin, and the Korean releases, but can't...resist....this....set.....

OldBoy 09-29-09 02:43 PM

can someone provide a direct link to this on the PalisadesTartan site? tia.

tylergfoster 09-29-09 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598 (Post 9739624)
can someone provide a direct link to this on the PalisadesTartan site? tia.

If you're referring to the information in Post 1, it was a press release emailed to me by Tartan reps and is not taken from the website. Their website is at www.palisadestartan.com though.