DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Park Chan Wook's The Vengeance Trilogy (8 Disc Set) - 11/24/09 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/562254-park-chan-wooks-vengeance-trilogy-8-disc-set-11-24-09-a.html)

TheySentYou 09-29-09 03:39 PM

Re: Park Chan Wook's The Vengeance Trilogy (8 Disc Set) - 11/24/09

ugh. i already own them all including the old boy tin.

*adds to wishlist

this is gonna break my wallet

Groucho 09-29-09 03:41 PM

Great! Once this is on Blu-Ray I will pick it up.

-Matthew Chmiel

Sessa17 09-29-09 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull (Post 9737738)
can we please get this on BLU!!??!!??

Seriously, I'm actually pissed at this announcemet. Why waste the awesomness this release on crappy DVD transfers & sounds. I have Old Boy on Blu-Ray & the upgrade is significant, I couldn't disagree more w/ whoever here posted that the Blu-Ray is dissapointing. Is it Pirate of the Carribean? Of coarse not, but it's not suppose to be, the cameras & technique used in this film aren't going to result in the most mind-blowing images. But the colors are crisp & much brighter than the DVDs & the details are FAR superior to the DVD (one of my most watched DVDs so I know) & the Korean 7.1 DTS Master is ridiculous.

Solid Snake 09-29-09 07:05 PM

I dunno but to not derail the thread....

What's all this about the Fade to B&W version of Lady Vengeance? Which is the original Director's version? Is it just Park Chan-wook's visual reworking or what? If anything it's Lady Vengeance that I really want to see over Mr. Vengeance...just looks more interesting to me. Not to knock on the other film.

EDIT:
Soooo...I looked on Amazon and all they have is this. And it states 6 DVDs. And it also comes out November 24th. Sooooo....yeah. I'm confused. Which is the real deal? The badass sounding 8 Disc set or the not so badass 6 disc w/ some placeholder art I assume?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...ML._SS500_.jpg

OldBoy 09-29-09 07:36 PM

^ the fade to B/W was brilliant imo. the subtlety in change is as if you don't even notice and then it ends and your jaw just drops.

i loved this movie more than i ever thought i could. it was just such an amazing piece of cinema and this is after loving and thinking Oldboy couldn't be surpassed, which it wasn't, but this version came pretty damn close and is a lot more fun on certain levels.

haven't seen the all color version to compare, but was planning on it soon.

still the B/W version is cinema and just blew me away, but i am not sure if that was more the content then the color change, but i am sure it had a big part to do with it.

LickTheABCs 09-29-09 07:41 PM

^ I do think the color change has something to do with my love for Lady. I mean thinking about you wouldn't think it would make that big of a difference, but the way it's used is masterful.

nemein 09-29-09 08:01 PM

<i>Mod note: I removed the "discussion" about Blu-Ray vs non... there's no place for that sort of back and forth here.</i>

Sessa17 09-29-09 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by nemein (Post 9740411)
<i>Mod note: I removed the "discussion" about Blu-Ray vs non... there's no place for that sort of back and forth here.</i>

I don't understand this, I'm not arguing I just genuinely don't get it. My post & others contained no "back & forth". This is DVD Talk, this is the DVD discussion forum, & I discussed the upgrade & merits of the DVD to Blu-Ray. There are literally hundreds of posts in the "DVD" forum about the same thing. Is this a new rule? Are all of these posts in every thread now being deleted? Why is a DVD & Blu-Ray comparison not allowed? It's DVD discussion. Only 1 person had an issue with it.

nemein 09-29-09 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Sessa17 (Post 9740537)
I don't understand this, I'm not arguing I just genuinely don't get it. My post & others contained no "back & forth". This is DVD Talk, this is the DVD discussion forum, & I discussed the upgrade & merits of the DVD to Blu-Ray. There are literally hundreds of posts in the "DVD" forum about the same thing. Is this a new rule? Are all of these posts in every thread now being deleted? Why is a DVD & Blu-Ray comparison not allowed? It's DVD discussion. Only 1 person had an issue with it.

The thread was reported and on first glance I saw a bunch of "hopefully it's on blu" type posts which doesn't really matter IMHO. Then it started to get into comments like:

"Quit cluttering up yet another DVD thread with your pathetic whining!"

and follow ups like

"Wow, looks like someone can't afford to upgrade"

"Mods, please warn me and whatnot after I finish making this statement ... Shut the fuck up. "

Now maybe the person who instigated things w/ the first quote is the cause of the problem, I don't know... I don't recall him being reported before for this type of behavior so I have no basis of comparison[1]. So I removed that post and the posts that were directly related to that. In order to hopefully prevent the blu/non-blu from becoming an issue again I just went ahead and removed the "hopefully it's on blu" posts as well. Perhaps I didn't expressly state the reason good enough but frankly blu/non-blu seemed to be the cause of the problem in this thread so I killed that part of the discussion so it can hopefully get back on track about the release of the DVD itself.

[1] I'll be honest I read only a small portion of the threads here so I'm relying on RTPs to help moderate things. If someone is causing problems don't rely on other people to report it or hope it just goes away, please use the RTP feature. Additionally don't respond "in kind" or in a way that could be seen as instigating things. Just report and move on. W/ that said also keep in mind the discussion in this thread http://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedb...-not-work.html where some times we as mods don't agree w/ the reported posts, and some times we have longer discussions about what to do about a specific issue. So if you don't see feedback that doesn't necessarily mean nothing is happening. I do usually try to either respond to the source of the RTP or at least send an email back explaining why I don't think it is worthy of response, usually ;)

Groucho 09-29-09 10:51 PM

I would like to hope that somebody from the studio sees these threads, and gets the message that there's a market for releasing this same package in Blu. Apart from one over-the-top remark from the "usual suspect" and an uncivil reply, I think the discussion was a good one.

nemein 09-30-09 06:42 AM

<i>Mod note: Fair enough... I restored the original "blu" responses but left the other "discussion" deleted. Please let's keep it civil people.</i>

Jaymole 09-30-09 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by nemein (Post 9741137)
<i>Mod note: Fair enough... I restored the original "blu" responses but left the other "discussion" deleted. Please let's keep it civil people.</i>

That is change I can believe in:thumbsup:

I already own all 3 on DVD, so I'll pass on this (unless it comes out on Blu-ray)

Cheato 09-30-09 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 9739780)
Great! Once this is on Blu-Ray I will pick it up.

-Matthew Chmiel

Awesome. rotfl

nemein 09-30-09 04:36 PM

<i>Mod note: Let me reiterate... please leave the blu / non-blu BACK AND FORTH out of it. If someone wants to post they want it on blu, that's fine. If someone wants to post they don't want it on blu... that's fine too. Commenting about the opposite position because you don't agree w/ it IS NOT FINE. It's only going to cause this thread to derail yet again.</i>

chris_sc77 09-30-09 04:40 PM

So am i allowed to say I dont want it on Blu or not?
Cause everytime I do I keep getting censored. Why is this?
I want to follow the rules and am not trolling just stating my opinion.

nemein 09-30-09 05:10 PM

<i>Mod note: You have stated your opinion and I'll leave this post in place... I suggest EVERYONE leave it at that and keep future responses focused on the DVD set itself.</i>

tylergfoster 10-01-09 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by nemein (Post 9742721)
<i>Mod note: You have stated your opinion and I'll leave this post in place... I suggest EVERYONE leave it at that and keep future responses focused on the DVD set itself.</i>

I made a post that was deleted, but I believe it had an important comment at the end of it not about Blu-Ray vs. DVD.

RobLutter 10-01-09 03:08 AM

Uh.

I could have sworn Tartan went belly up at the beginning of the year? Lady Vengeance was actually supposed to come out in the UK on Blu (and presumably region-free like their other releases) but it never happened because they went out of business. Did they get swallowed up?

Count me out unless they're on Blu... I already have the films on DVD (incl. the OldBoy tin).

tylergfoster 10-01-09 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by RobLutter (Post 9743738)
Uh.

I could have sworn Tartan went belly up at the beginning of the year? Lady Vengeance was actually supposed to come out in the UK on Blu (and presumably region-free like their other releases) but it never happened because they went out of business. Did they get swallowed up?

Count me out unless they're on Blu... I already have the films on DVD (incl. the OldBoy tin).

Palisades bought the Tartan library, thus, Palisades Tartan.

nemein 10-01-09 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by droidguy1119 (Post 9743723)
I made a post that was deleted, but I believe it had an important comment at the end of it not about Blu-Ray vs. DVD.

Feel free to repost that info w/o the rest of the comments you put in there...

tylergfoster 10-01-09 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by nemein (Post 9743778)
Feel free to repost that info w/o the rest of the comments you put in there...

Well, I don't remember what it was I said, I just remember that I said something...I was hoping an edited version of the post could be restored.

nemein 10-01-09 01:10 PM

The only part that didn't seem to be part of the "distraction" was

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Again, to all those who are asking, in case it isn't clear, this information comes directly from the studio, to me. I am on the press list at Tartan. If there is any change to the release, I will get an email about it.

tylergfoster 10-01-09 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by nemein (Post 9744684)
The only part that didn't seem to be part of the "distraction" was

Thanks

Brian T 10-01-09 08:55 PM

an essay on each film by celebrated filmmakers, actors and writers, including Eli Roth
Oh, joy! This might even be better than Brett Ratner discussing Jackie Chan movies! Hooray!

And put it on Blu.

tylergfoster 10-02-09 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Brian T (Post 9745779)
Oh, joy! This might even be better than Brett Ratner discussing Jackie Chan movies! Hooray!

In no way has Eli Roth ever done or seems likely to do anything in the future to justify being placed in the same bracket of directors as Brett Ratner, and I believe I'd say the same thing even if I hadn't liked 2 of his 3 films.