Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume XII

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-09, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume XII

I read somewhere that there is a Walmart exclusive bonus disc in the Hulk Hogan Unreleased Collector's Series. Is this true?
Old 11-21-09, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by sg2386
I read somewhere that there is a Walmart exclusive bonus disc in the Hulk Hogan Unreleased Collector's Series. Is this true?

Looks like - Not True -
Old 11-22-09, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by bi0hzrd51
Awesome.. Thanks sg86.. Looks like I'll swing by on my way home and pick up one or two.

No prob.

I picked up all four tins a while back when they were having that mega deal.

Got them for $36 total after the $40 in mail-in rebates and the 20% off from signing up for (and promptly canceling) the Backstage Pass card.
Old 11-22-09, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

Two quick questions...

1. Is the Hogan set at FYE still packaged with the other one for $22? I am going to check that out, but I don't want to go if it isn't.

2. Are the prices on the website also in store? There are a few sets I want (Jake Roberts, Piper and ECW) showing for $7.99.
Old 11-22-09, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by macnorton
Two quick questions...

1. Is the Hogan set at FYE still packaged with the other one for $22? I am going to check that out, but I don't want to go if it isn't.

2. Are the prices on the website also in store? There are a few sets I want (Jake Roberts, Piper and ECW) showing for $7.99.

Im in Cincinnati and the store that I went to still had the Hogan sets packaged together. And yes for the $7.99 price on the others. I picked up Piper, AWA, Dusty, Billy Graham
Old 11-23-09, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by bi0hzrd51
Picked up some great finds price wise at FYE and Suncoast today..
-WWE - 20 Years Too Soon: The Superstar Billy Graham Story (2006)
-WWE - The American Dream: The Dusty Rhodes Story (2006)
-WWE - The Best of Smackdown 10th Anniversary (2009)
-WWE - Born to Controversy: The Roddy Piper Story (2006)
-WWE - McMahon - 2-Disc Collector's Edition (2006)
-WWE - The Spectacular Legacy of the AWA (2006)
-WWE - WrestleMania 23 (2007)
-WWE - WrestleMania: 25th Anniversary (2009)

All for $100, which I think is a great deal. Also picked up the FYE Hulk Hogan exclusive on Thursday.
You shouldve just gotten the tins and picked up the Mania & SD dvds seperate, coulda save a bit more $$$$
Old 11-23-09, 03:22 PM

McMahon and Piper are packaged with the Hogan Anthology which I got with the Hogan Unreleased set. Those 2 I got for under $7 each. The other sets I wasnt planning on getting but saw them at 7.99 each. Im not into the tins and they were priced at $35. Only spent around 23 for what would have been that tin. Unless the tins were on sale too.. which they weren't marked down. Thanks tho

Last edited by bi0hzrd51; 11-23-09 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11-24-09, 12:02 AM

Not sure if anyone noticed, but WWE swapped the released dates for the Hardy DVD and the World Championship DVD.

Hardy's DVD is now coming out next week, while the World Championship DVD has been pushed back to December 15th.
Old 11-24-09, 08:15 AM

I noticed that during the Raw broadcast last night. Oh well Im looking forward to the Hardy DVD than the World Championship anyway
Old 11-24-09, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone been disappointed with the WWE releases this year? I took a pass on Hogan's dvd with I heard that it contained zero interviews. The WCW release was a big letdown. Three dvds now about the NWO, and still not much footage from those days. I've always wanted to see how the split factions happened with the Wolf pac.

I also bought Randy Savage's dvd, and while the matches were fun, the hosts of the dvd were not funny and annoying, no interviews or bios on Randy. Awful.
Old 11-24-09, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think this years WWE releases have been fantastic.

We got the Starrcade: Essential Collection, Best of SNME, Greatest Stars of the 90s, Greatest Tag Teams, Best of SD, Legends of Wrestling Roundtables, Survivor Series Anthology, Randy Savage, etc.

As for the Hogan DVD, they released 2 in the past (1 of them had a documentary), this one is basically for old school fans that want to see rare matches not shown anywhere else. Who cares if theres no interviews.

As for the Savage DVD, you had to expect only matches and nothing else, WWE were not going to include Savage himself since Vince has a grudge against him and the only reason he gave the green light was because it will make money...thats it! Who cares if the hosts weren't funny, i thought Striker was great and does an excellent impersonation of Savage, the matches on the set was what counted and it was great list.
Old 11-24-09, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree and disagree. I think WWE has had some great releases and some disappointments. My favorite release was "The Greatest Stars of the 90s." Even though it had some fairly generic comments, the match selection was full of gems. The same goes for The Hulk Hogan Collector's series. There were are a lot of fun matches there that I never thought would see the light of day.

On the other hand, I was so disappointed by the match selection for The Essential Starcade Collection and The Rise & Fall of WCW that I chose not to get them. Starcade was missing some good stuff (Ric Flair vs. Sting vs. Lex Luger, Ric Flair vs. Randy Savage, Vader vs. Jim Duggan) and the WCW set was pretty much just a lot of cruiserweight matches.
Old 11-24-09, 01:41 PM

sg2386
yes we all knew the savage dvd was not going to include any good extra stuff, but thats still a negative, when reviewing the dvd it still a negative any which way you cut it, expecting or not expecting

bottom line is the dvd should of featured more better hosts and more insight, nuff said
Old 11-24-09, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by chuckliddell
sg2386
yes we all knew the savage dvd was not going to include any good extra stuff, but thats still a negative, when reviewing the dvd it still a negative any which way you cut it, expecting or not expecting

bottom line is the dvd should of featured more better hosts and more insight, nuff said

you can't rate a DVD based on it not having something you knew it wasn't going to have in the first place. That's ridiculous.

If you knew it wasn't going to have a documentary, bought it anyway, then was let down that it didn't have a doc, that's your problem and to discredit the disc as a whole because of that is insane.
Old 11-24-09, 04:02 PM

My DVDs. Collected these over about 4 years. What do you think?

Left to right:
- WrestleMania X-Seven & Triple H That Damn Good VCD Sets
- Complete collection of original WWF DVDs (including US exclusives like Tough Enough Season 1, Behind Tough Enough, That Damn Good [factory sealed] & the 2 Disc Just Bring It),
- Some Tagged Classics DVDs (usually events from about 1997 onwards that were not released on DVD originally)
- The rest of the 2002 WWE PPVs (non-OOP)
- Limited edition WrestleMania 20 Box set (sealed)
- (front) Around 20 WWF PPV VCDs from Asia (preferred these to having VHS and they are pretty hard to find)
- Royal Rumble Complete Anthology
- Some random profile WWE DVDs like Benoit Hard Knocks, Austin Legacy (I have these in the US 2005 PPV Remind box just because I wanted to buy the box)
- (front) Blu Rays - WrestleMania 24 & WrestleMania 25 (US Region A)
- WrestleMania Complete Anthology
- Complete 2003 in Box Set + Insurrextion 2003
- (front) Survivor Series Anthology Volumes 1 & 2
- SummerSlam Complete Anthology
- US Exclusive WWF Ringleaders Collection (sealed)
- Hulk Still Rules (US version - factory sealed w/ Forceable Entry sampler CD)
- A couple of random non-WWE DVDs (Fozzy DVD, Kurt Angle DVD, Wrestling with Shadows)
- Complete 2004 Collection Box Set
- Complete 2005 Collection Box Set
- Complete 2006 Collection Box Set
- Complete 2007 Collection Box Set
- Complete 2008 Collection Box Set

What I'd like to find now is the silver box released in the UK for the WWF Attitude Collection DVDs. Annoyingly I used to own it but got rid of it when I wasn't collecting as big, but hope to find another.
Old 11-24-09, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Lucky SOB, those complete year boxes are awesome.
Old 11-24-09, 05:46 PM

im saying its still a negative, yes we knew it, but still a negative none the less, its still a bad thing, and it sucks for fans, so when reviewing the dvd it still counts against it
Old 11-24-09, 05:50 PM

jeffbase34
i agree with your statement, to little nwo stuff, that was the greatest storyline ever in wrestling and they barely release anything on it, even the nwo dvd it started good but then glossed over everything right to wwe's nwo which sucked by the way

there was a ton of awesome stuff from the first year and half or original nwo, right to the split of nash and hogan forming the wolfpac, from there it sucked but tons of great moments and takeovers from 96 97 98 to make a great dvd, hell just making a dvd on them taking over the annoucer tables and promos would be great
Old 11-24-09, 11:21 PM

Me personally I think the dvds that have come out are pretty good. I mean they are not the best. You have to understand, what we want as fans on the dvds most likely will not be on the dvds. They can always make better dvds. I don't like how with the match set dvds there really is no doc. Like the randy savage.... I would of loved for him to particpate in the set but, that cheap billionaire vince would not do it.... Look we all have been begging for a jericho dvd......guess what when it comes out its just going to be ok.....I think they don't produce enough dvd sets. Also they don't want to pay royalty rights to people who are not with the company anymore either. Look at jessie ventura, don't expect to see a dvd of him ever. Don't ever expect to see a booker t dvd, or even a chris benoit new set. Look at silvervision they crank out at least 20 to 30 dvds a year.... why wwe does not do it here is an answer we will never get. WWE I thought went to a dvd company that would produce a lot more stuff. I guess I am sure they have tried but vince will not allow it..........But if you are a true fan you will like what they put out anyways because chances are you will never see another set again....example no more randy savage dvd, or even another hogan dvd....
Old 11-24-09, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jg352599
Me personally I think the dvds that have come out are pretty good. I mean they are not the best. You have to understand, what we want as fans on the dvds most likely will not be on the dvds. They can always make better dvds. I don't like how with the match set dvds there really is no doc. Like the randy savage.... I would of loved for him to particpate in the set but, that cheap billionaire vince would not do it.... Look we all have been begging for a jericho dvd......guess what when it comes out its just going to be ok.....I think they don't produce enough dvd sets. Also they don't want to pay royalty rights to people who are not with the company anymore either. Look at jessie ventura, don't expect to see a dvd of him ever. Don't ever expect to see a booker t dvd, or even a chris benoit new set. Look at silvervision they crank out at least 20 to 30 dvds a year.... why wwe does not do it here is an answer we will never get. WWE I thought went to a dvd company that would produce a lot more stuff. I guess I am sure they have tried but vince will not allow it..........But if you are a true fan you will like what they put out anyways because chances are you will never see another set again....example no more randy savage dvd, or even another hogan dvd....
It's nothing to do with being cheap, Vince hates Savage, it's still kind of a mystery but it had to do with the fact that Savage gave Vince his word he would resign, shaking his hand (to Vince that was a contract that time) and Savage drunk dialed Vince telling him he signed with WCW and took the Slim Jim deal with him. That time WWE were losing sponsors left and right, losing ad revenue costing millions.

They just chose his matches and segments and put it all together.

As for WWE not producing enough, it's nothing to do with WWE, they have a contract with Genius/Vivendi Entertainment to put out a set number of DVDs a year, they can't go over that limit, until they're ready to negotiate a new contract.

UK has a totally different deal compared to North America so that's why they put out so many a year.

The reason a Jericho DVD is yet to be released is because i read somewhere that he doesn't want a DVD of his stuff until he retires.

Last edited by sg2386; 11-24-09 at 11:53 PM.
Old 11-25-09, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sg86
you can't rate a DVD based on it not having something you knew it wasn't going to have in the first place. That's ridiculous.

If you knew it wasn't going to have a documentary, bought it anyway, then was let down that it didn't have a doc, that's your problem and to discredit the disc as a whole because of that is insane.
I have to disagree there. If there's an aspect that you think would make a DVD better (a documentary, a better host, better match selection, etc.), and you know it's not going to be there, simply lowering your expectations doesn't mean you won't be disappointed. Even if you go in knowing that there won't be any interviews with Savage, you still can't help but feel like it's a knock against the set.

That being said, regardless of the lack of documentary, I find it tough to completely bash the Savage DVD (I haven't picked it up yet myself), simply for the match selection. There are 80s and 90s classics, under-rated gems, as well as matches I never thought I'd see on there. I think it's a damn good-looking set.

But then again, I haven't heard Maria introduce the matches yet.
Old 11-25-09, 09:01 AM

Does anyone have the Royal Rumble complete anthology set?

I just got mine the other day and I cannot believe how horrible the box is for this set. my box has already ripped in a few places. This is beyond cheap. The individual sets inside the box are fine, but the box itself is falling apart.

Did anyone else have this problem? If so, how did you fix it?

Is there any site that sells just the box so I can replace this ripped up one I have?

Thanks
Old 11-25-09, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by PirateTodd
Does anyone have the Royal Rumble complete anthology set?

I just got mine the other day and I cannot believe how horrible the box is for this set. my box has already ripped in a few places. This is beyond cheap. The individual sets inside the box are fine, but the box itself is falling apart.

Did anyone else have this problem? If so, how did you fix it?

Is there any site that sells just the box so I can replace this ripped up one I have?

Thanks
Are all your discs ok? Because when I bought the set I had to take it back to the store and open 2 other sets just to get one with non-cracked/scratched discs. It was also near impossible to find a box that was not dented or ripped. Luckily I did get one that was not in horrible shape, but I am worried long term that the spine will break.

I don't know who designs this stuff, but having such a thin spin on something so heavy, that is going to be repeatedly opened is just bad design. At least with the Summer Slam set they went back to a more sensible box with lid design.

Good luck in finding a non-ripped box, I would try looking around local used stores.
Old 11-25-09, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got the Rumble Anthology when it came out, and my box is fine, it does seem pretty cheap since its basically held together by a piece of paper. I didn't want to order it online since there were people that had damaged boxes when arrived so picked up it in store.

But did read problems with people's box splitting in half when opening it many times. I tried to avoid opening it, only when watching it.

The Wrestlemania and Summerslam boxes are pretty strong and durable, with the lids.
Old 11-25-09, 12:47 PM

sg2386
were did you hear jericho never wanted a dvd, i heard he was puzzled that he never had one, and you seem to always have an excuse for mcmahon, he should get over this grudge and forget about his "ego" for a second and should of made an effort to make the savage dvd better
i dont want to start a fight, im just simply asking has vince mcmahon and the wwe in your humble opinion ever done anything wrong?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.