Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume XII

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-09, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume XII

I'm surprised that WWE is doing a 3-disc set for Jeff - a quickie 1 discer is what I expected, so this is a pleasant surprise - especially if they load it up with stuff that hasn't been on non-PPV DVDs before.

I got the $2 Chikara sampler in the mail yesterday - it's my first real exposure to the group beyond compilation clips, and man are they ever an entertaining group. A little too comedy-oriented for me to watch on a regular basis, but I'll definitely buy something else from them in the future. Their production values are also fantastic - better than even ROH's current ones as far as things like lighting, set design, and that novel idea of actually being able to see the crowd, which is nigh impossible on ROH TV shows.

Last edited by JPeeples; 10-14-09 at 06:08 PM.
Old 10-14-09, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by JPeeples
I'm surprised that WWE is doing a 3-disc set for Jeff - a quickie 1 discer is what I expected, so this is a pleasant surprise - especially if they load it up with stuff that hasn't been on non-PPV DVDs before.
Well, let's not all get our hopes about WWE actually releasing this dvd. I saw on www.cduniverse.com that "The History Of The World Heavyweight Championship" got pushed back to Dec. 15 as well. So I'm ASSUMING that the new Jeff Hardy dvd is going to either get pushed back or canceled at the last moment.
Old 10-14-09, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just finished watching TNA: Victory Road 2009. My typically lengthy review:

Tara vs. Angelina Love - Women's Championship
Not a bad match, but a TERRIBLE choice for an opener. As over as the knockouts are, women's matches should never open a ppv, especially given TNA's X division and tag team division. This match was just okay. They were having a pretty good match, and it ends out of nowhere, with a truly bullshit ending. What was the point of Tara winning the title, if she was going to lose it two weeks later, and in such a lame fashion.

**1/4

Matt Morgan vs. Daniels
A match better suited for Impact. Typical big man/little man match. Morgan kinda sucks, mugging in heel fashion every 30 seconds. It gets old. But Daniels tries to tell a story. Another okay match.

**1/2

Abyss vs. Dr. Stevie
Glorified ten-minute squash. This would be fine if the feud were ending, but it wasn't. It's actually still going on now. Typical Abyss weapons match. Nothing special, other than the wrestlecrap ending.

Team 3D vs. The British Invasion - IWGP Tag Team Championship
Solid tag team match. Could have been on Impact, though. The ending with the table is just pointless.

**1/2

Jenna Morasca vs. Sharmell
I went into this match willing to defy the naysayers, but believe the anti-hype. This match is as bad as you've heard. Probably worse. The big issue is that they wrestle for almost SIX minutes, which is an eternity for these two. I would have been fine with a 2-minute catfight, no harm. But this was absolute garbage. This is a tie with the "Miss WrestleMania" battle royal for worst women's match of the year.

A.J. Styles vs. Kevin Nash - Legends Championship
Definitely my favorite match of the night. Unlike Morgan/Daniels, this is a very good big man/little man match. Styles works on Nash like a heel, Nash hits some great offense and gives one of the best performances of his career, there's som nearfalls, and the finish is a real surprise. Styles looks better than ever for it, and Nash wears a title that he deserves.

***1/2

Beer Money, Inc. vs. The Main Event Mafia - World Tag Team Championship
So-so match. Like the other tag team match, the ending is really stupid, as apparently James Storm is slower than Earl Hebner.

**1/4

Sting vs. Samoa Joe
Some decent back-and-forth action, less brawling and more wrestling, unlike their Bound for Glory encounter. But just as it's starting to get good, it ends, with Sting botching the muscle buster, and taps to a submission move he doesn't seem to have a problem being in.

**1/2

Kurt Angle vs. Mick Foley
Nine years ago, this would have been a classic. But Angle is injured (especially in this match), Foley is way past his prime, and the results show. A solid match, but it's just another decent TNA main event.

**3/4

All in all, I could understand why this ppv gets a bad rap. The work-rate is fairly bland, and there's one exceptionally terrible match in the middle. It's still fun to see these main-event level matches, and I'm glad I bought it, but it's still tough to defend.
Old 10-15-09, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry, thought the whole anthology was coming out as well. Any idea why this isn't the case this time around?
Old 10-15-09, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Quack
Sorry, thought the whole anthology was coming out as well. Any idea why this isn't the case this time around?
Not sure, my guess is they probably still deciding how to edit out the later years like with blood and stuff. That's probably not the case though since WWE haven't edited their DVDs to remove blood.

I think because including this year there would be 23 events, so packaging could be difficult since they usually do 4 volumes 5 disc each.

I hope they have some sort of mail-in offer that includes some slip of paper with the upc and proof of purchase and if you buy all the volumes just mail those in and they would give a free storage box (like with the 2003 ppvs where if you buy all 12 ppvs they would give a cool looking box).
Old 10-15-09, 11:06 AM

The Survivor Series Anthology volumes have very ugly art work!
Old 10-15-09, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by dillkid
The Survivor Series Anthology volumes have very ugly art work!
Nah, it's got a cool and rough looking industrial theme going on. It's definitely different - one thing, it should be a steelbook though.
Old 10-15-09, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by JPeeples
I got the $2 Chikara sampler in the mail yesterday - it's my first real exposure to the group beyond compilation clips, and man are they ever an entertaining group. A little too comedy-oriented for me to watch on a regular basis, but I'll definitely buy something else from them in the future. Their production values are also fantastic - better than even ROH's current ones as far as things like lighting, set design, and that novel idea of actually being able to see the crowd, which is nigh impossible on ROH TV shows.
I really liked the Best of Chikara DVD that is out! You can usually find it on ebay for less than 5 bucks too.
Old 10-15-09, 08:57 PM

If there was anyone else from outside the US that had wanted to get the Chikara sampler they are now offering it for $4.99 shipped anywhere in the world until Oct. 16th
Old 10-17-09, 01:09 PM

If there is any UK wrestling fans here, in HMV they are selling 1PW DVDs for £3.
Old 10-17-09, 01:44 PM

Someone from Youtube called Irishwrestlingfan316 who does good wrestling reviews by the way, said that he's copy of TNA Slammiversary 2009 has the Pre Show match advertised on the back but is not in the actual DVD!
Old 10-17-09, 05:35 PM

Someone from Youtube called Irishwrestlingfan316 who does good wrestling reviews by the way, said that he's copy of TNA Slammiversary 2009 has the Pre Show match advertised on the back but is not in the actual DVD!
I have this DVD and I looked for that match in the bonus features and it is not there. Unbelievable.
Old 10-17-09, 07:30 PM
Banned

Old 10-18-09, 01:48 AM
Cool New Member

Still no sign of the Survivor Series anthology on WWEshop. I would have thought there'd be a pre-order by now, has there been a delay?
Old 10-18-09, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by MrZac
Still no sign of the Survivor Series anthology on WWEshop. I would have thought there'd be a pre-order by now, has there been a delay?
If you are looking for details, they have Volumes 1 and 2 on Silvervision.co.uk
Old 10-18-09, 11:41 AM

If there is any UK wrestling fans here, in HMV they are selling 1PW DVDs for £3.
Thanks for the heads-up, might check those out later in the week.
Old 10-18-09, 01:57 PM

I don't know what to do, should I keep on collecting the old WWF Videos or should I start buying the Tagged Classics?
Old 10-18-09, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't know what to do, should I keep on collecting the old WWF Videos or should I start buying the Tagged Classics?
I would keep the ones you don't think will make it to DVD if they're older, ie, This Tuesday in Texas PPV from 92....but if they're available by DVD I'd go with that for better quality.
Old 10-19-09, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

WWEShop.com has put up Survivor Series Anthology Vol. 1 and 2 for preorder so it's definitely coming out Nov. 3 for people that were doubting it.
Old 10-19-09, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by sg2386
WWEShop.com has put up Survivor Series Anthology Vol. 1 and 2 for preorder so it's definitely coming out Nov. 3 for people that were doubting it.
I can't help but wonder what retailers will actually carry this item. As of late virtually every store I shop at has liquidated they're WWE section. I don't like buying stuff online at all. Nobody seems to have any clue how to properly package ship items. This is going to be a pain tracking down. I have been tempted to order from WWE shopzone. I'm just not sure how well they package they're shipments. If anyone cares to answer that then thank you in advance.
Old 10-19-09, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Kaori00
As of late virtually every store I shop at has liquidated they're WWE section. I don't like buying stuff online at all. Nobody seems to have any clue how to properly package ship items. This is going to be a pain tracking down. I have been tempted to order from WWE shopzone. I'm just not sure how well they package they're shipments. If anyone cares to answer that then thank you in advance.
You took the words right of my mouth. Wrestling sections are pretty much empty, or full of product that has been cut by box-cutters in shipment or dented, and I'll never order online, unless it's out of print.
Old 10-19-09, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Kaori00
I can't help but wonder what retailers will actually carry this item. As of late virtually every store I shop at has liquidated they're WWE section. I don't like buying stuff online at all. Nobody seems to have any clue how to properly package ship items. This is going to be a pain tracking down. I have been tempted to order from WWE shopzone. I'm just not sure how well they package they're shipments. If anyone cares to answer that then thank you in advance.
They package their stuff the same as any other online seller does, be it Amazon, Best Buy.com or whoever. I've never received something so beaten up that it was really an issue. Then again, I am nowhere near as anal and OCD about it as a lot of you-especially BullGooseLoony. I don't see why places like Best Buy, Wal-Mart, and K-Mart wouldn't be carrying the Survivor Series anthology releases. Those stores seem to carry every WWE release that comes out, including all the past anthologies.

Last edited by SexualPudding; 10-19-09 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-19-09, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SexualPudding
Then again, I am nowhere near as anal and OCD about it as a lot of you-especially BullGooseLoony. I don't see why places like Best Buy, Wal-Mart, and K-Mart wouldn't be carrying the Survivor Series anthology releases. Those stores seem to carry every WWE release that comes out, including all the past anthologies.
It's not even OCD, it's just wanting something in decent shape. I've bought DVDs that were a little dented or roughed up, but I've found recently that a lot of new WWE releases have box cutter cuts right across the spine of the DVD case, which, to me, looks ugly, and is just unacceptable treatment of product.
Old 10-19-09, 01:58 PM

I too did notice the lack of wrestling dvds in stores too, but I also noticed all the UFC and MMA dvds just sitting there, not being bought. But then I am not a fan of UFC so my hatred for seeing all those dvds and not wrestling dvds is kind of biased.
Old 10-19-09, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BullGooseLoony
It's not even OCD, it's just wanting something in decent shape. I've bought DVDs that were a little dented or roughed up, but I've found recently that a lot of new WWE releases have box cutter cuts right across the spine of the DVD case, which, to me, looks ugly, and is just unacceptable treatment of product.
I probably wouldn't buy a dvd that had a slit mark along the spine (if there were other copies available without it), either, but I haven't really seen that on store copies. Maybe on the odd copy here and there over the years, but not anywhere near the frequency you seem to be seeing it, and never with WWE releases. Do you shop for WWE stuff only at one store? Seems like an isolated case to me. I also didn't mean to single you out, but your posts in that "weird dvd habits" thread lead me to believe you are far different than the average consumer who buys these things at stores. As long as the box/case isn't beaten to hell or there are loose discs inside, I don't see the issue.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.