Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume XII

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-10, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume XII

TP and FR are getting put together with whatever the next one is for a 3 pack release.
Old 02-01-10, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Aces_High
Looks like we're not gonna get TNA's last two PPV's of 2009, Turning Point & Final Resolution. Unless they bundle the two in a Cross The Line style double pack which would be sweet. The next TNA releases are set for Best of 2009 which has the 2 best matches from the show, and Genesis PPV from 1/10.

Kinda disappointed they're breaking the streak. I'm glad they gave up on the specialty releases, but damn, keep up with at least ONE monthly release of the previous month's ppv.
Turning Point and Final Resolution are going to be packaged with this month's Against All Odds PPV in the Cross the line vol. 3 set.

TNA wanted to release Genesis individually because it was the TNA ppv debut of Hulk Hogan and was headlined by the Styles/Angles main event. They wanted it to be "just another ppv," which is what the two other cross the line sets consisted of.
Old 02-01-10, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dx23
Pwinsider.com confirmed that the Best of Raw BD was to be released in Canada was canceled. Still, the Royal Rumble 2010 is coming on Blu-ray.
Yea, when i emailed the marketing manager of E1 Entertainment (Canadian distributor) they confirmed it was scheduled but got canned for unknown reason.

Last edited by sg2386; 02-01-10 at 03:04 PM.
Old 02-01-10, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looks like the Royal Rumble 2010 Blu-ray may be for Canada only. There used to be a link on Amazon's US site for it as well, but it has since been removed.
Old 02-01-10, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SexualPudding
Looks like the Royal Rumble 2010 Blu-ray may be for Canada only. There used to be a link on Amazon's US site for it as well, but it has since been removed.
I doubt that, other US sites like Bestbuy.com and FYE.com have it up for preorder. Also many sites confirmed that Royal Rumble would be the first Blu-ray from WWE other than Wrestlemania in North America.

Amazon.ca has two versions up for preorder; Canadian and US Import.

I think it was removed from .COM because maybe they ran out of preorders which is pretty doubtful though.
Old 02-01-10, 07:34 PM

Does anyone know if the Royal Rumble Blu-ray will mirror the release from Silvervision? It would be nice to have the Raw and SmackDown prior to the Royal Rumble event.
Old 02-01-10, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SkipKassidy
Does anyone know if the Royal Rumble Blu-ray will mirror the release from Silvervision? It would be nice to have the Raw and SmackDown prior to the Royal Rumble event.
Hope so,

RAW and SD had couple good matches each; DX vs. Legacy, Cena vs. Sheamus, CM Punk vs. HHH and Rey Mysterio vs. Shawn Michaels.

I think it will be the same as the North American release.
Old 02-02-10, 08:03 AM

Might sound petty but I won't be picking up the Raw 09 title because there is no Blu Ray release. Raw in 2009 wasn't exactly spectacular, but a rundown of moments in HD seemed appealing and worth a purchase to add to the collection. For me, it's getting harder and harder to justify buying WWE DVDs when their footage was originally shot in HD. So it's a pass on PPVs right now and releases like this one. The next will be Rumble 2010.
Old 02-02-10, 08:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by chocoboy87
Might sound petty but I won't be picking up the Raw 09 title because there is no Blu Ray release. Raw in 2009 wasn't exactly spectacular, but a rundown of moments in HD seemed appealing and worth a purchase to add to the collection. For me, it's getting harder and harder to justify buying WWE DVDs when their footage was originally shot in HD. So it's a pass on PPVs right now and releases like this one. The next will be Rumble 2010.
I feel the same way. The only releases I see myself picking up are set from classic wrestlers like Macho Man.
Old 02-02-10, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by chocoboy87
Same here. I wasn't terribly excited to buy it even on Blu-ray, but I would have just because there are still so few WWE releases on BD. No way I will buy the regular DVD release for this, though. The fact that they, for whatever reason, went and made this a full frame release rather than widescreen just sealed it.
Old 02-03-10, 10:10 PM

Has it been fully confirmed that the Best of RAW DVD is 4:3 only? Because the PPV DVDs are all 16:9. Has anyone messed around with the settings on their DVD players, because i was gonna get this for the one steamboat match, the 10 man tag, but its a turnoff in full frame
Old 02-04-10, 10:44 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by dg3
Indeed it is. But unlike 'pro' wrestling, no one's masquerading the fact that it's scripted.
Yeah because other scripted shows always break from the script so the actors can say "We're just acting, this isn't real." Like on 24 how Jack always stops, looks into the camera and says "My name's not really Jack, I'm just an actor playing the part of Jack, enjoy the rest of the show folks!"

Now in something actually related to the topic of this forum... where is my Ricky Steamboat DVD? I remember hearing talk of one back when he was going in the Hall of Fame, was that just rumor or was something delayed? Had my hopes up. I guess we're slowly getting the equivalent though through other releases. Matches on Flair's DVD's, Jake's DVD, Bret's DVD, Savage's DVD.
Old 02-04-10, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MrZac

Now in something actually related to the topic of this forum... where is my Ricky Steamboat DVD? I remember hearing talk of one back when he was going in the Hall of Fame, was that just rumor or was something delayed? Had my hopes up. I guess we're slowly getting the equivalent though through other releases. Matches on Flair's DVD's, Jake's DVD, Bret's DVD, Savage's DVD.
I think it has to with Steamboat's ex-wife owning the name and if WWE were to produce the DVD they would have to get permission and pay her with part of the sales.

If that wasn't an issue i'm sure he would have gotten a DVD after he was inducted in the HOF last year.
Old 02-04-10, 12:53 PM

As for the UFC talk on here, UFC is as pre-determined as WWE or TNA is. Just that Dana White guy yet hasn't said anything. Vince McMahon only said it was 'fake' in the 80's to get out of paying a tax on sporting events, I believe. Dana White hasn't done that yet, so I guess he is okay with paying the tax. Plus, wrestling is at least entertaining, where as UFC is just 2 guys laying down on each other, rolling around on a mat. Not that exciting.

As for the Ricky Steamboat talk, interesting thing I noticed the other day. There was a line of wrestling figures that came out a few years back that weren't made by Jakks, and it was something like "Legends of the Ring" or something. Anyways, there was two Ricky Steamboat figures. One with blood splattered on it, and the other was just normal. So I don't understand how they can be made when WWE has had such a hard time having a Steamboat dvd, and how Jakks had such a hard time doing a WWE figure. Maybe the problem lies with Bonnie and the WWE, not Bonnie and pro wrestling.
Old 02-04-10, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by sg2386
I think it has to with Steamboat's ex-wife owning the name and if WWE were to produce the DVD they would have to get permission and pay her with part of the sales.

If that wasn't an issue i'm sure he would have gotten a DVD after he was inducted in the HOF last year.
I thought that the name issue was sorted with his ex-wife (Bonnie) a few years ago; as there was a while ago when interview footage of Steamboat appeared on other DVDs there was never a name bar on the bottom of the screen like other people got.

Also I don't think that he would have been inducted into the Hall of Fame if there were issues regarding his name. I recall once reading from someone (who may have turned down a HOF offer) that there were issues about the name ownership aspect of the contract.

I think that they will get around to a Steamboat set one day and after all they don't want to put out all of the must have sets in a year becuase what will they put out in the future!

There was also a listing once in the www magazine for a Jimmy Snuka set which got replaced with a stars of the 90s.

Last edited by md2810; 02-04-10 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-05-10, 02:49 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by dg3
Because I get a kick out of ribbing you brain-dead wrestling fans.
Essentially, you've admitted to trolling and added what amounts to a personal attack.

For this I've suspended your posting privileges.

Should you wish to return next month, you can email me with your assurances that you wish to contribute as a productive member rather than, say, someone doing a very good impersonation of a PITA.

If, in the meantime, you return as dg4 (edit: or "BugsyB" ) or whatever, your accounts will be BANNED.
Old 02-05-10, 11:46 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by sg2386

Whether it's been resolved or not, you're telling me his ex-wife owned his name? Wow. Worst divorce lawyer ever.

Somebody mentioned a Snuka DVD getting pulled. That's too bad, it would be nice to have more than just the cage match available.
Old 02-05-10, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MrZac
Whether it's been resolved or not, you're telling me his ex-wife owned his name? Wow. Worst divorce lawyer ever.
lol! that's what i was thinking...

As for the Royal Rumble Blu-ray, looks like we will also get the 2 disc version like in UK with RAW and SD shows before the ppv, according to HMV.ca;

http://hmv.ca/Products/Detail/562362.aspx
Old 02-05-10, 02:50 PM

Found out yesterday Survivor Series 2009 Blu Ray in the UK was pulled, was news to me, I had it pre-ordered on Amazon. Silver Vision's Twitter confirmed it.

The RAW 09 Canadian Blu being dropped and now this, a little frustrating!
Old 02-07-10, 07:37 AM

Anyone got the Highspots 4-disc Ric Flair shoot? I know the reviews are lackluster, and his chew/spit is prevalent for the majority of the hours, as a huge Flair fan it seems like a great novelty to own even with all it's negatives. The packaging is top notch, like aWWE release and looks to be put together excellently, not like some dvd-r and a photocopy cover.

The fact is, it's a what, 10-12 hour interview, an in depth, uncensored career retrospective of the greatest wrestler ever.. told by him. I'm most likely gonna get it, just wanted to know what you guys thought of it.

Other shoots I'm looking at grabbing-RF"s Ken Anderson, RF's Billy Jack Haynes, RF Harris Bros, RF Kurt Angle (for the same reason as Flair).

Note I've never ordered a thing from RF, but with their 20% off sale I'll probably take advantage with at least one or two dvds.
Old 02-07-10, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I have the Flair shoot but haven't watched it yet due to the length. Spending 10-12 hours on a single subject is hard on my attention span. I've heard nothing but good things about it though.

As for the other shoots, I've got the Anderson and Angle shoots. Both are pretty good. I've heard that the Billy Jack Haynes shoot is worth watching simply due to his apparent insanity.
Old 02-07-10, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Aces_High
Anyone got the Highspots 4-disc Ric Flair shoot? I know the reviews are lackluster, and his chew/spit is prevalent for the majority of the hours, as a huge Flair fan it seems like a great novelty to own even with all it's negatives. The packaging is top notch, like aWWE release and looks to be put together excellently, not like some dvd-r and a photocopy cover.

The fact is, it's a what, 10-12 hour interview, an in depth, uncensored career retrospective of the greatest wrestler ever.. told by him. I'm most likely gonna get it, just wanted to know what you guys thought of it.
I have the Flair shoot (the chew/spit is irritating) also the set is very focused on his early career with Crockett, Mulligan and McDaniels then it kind of skips over the more memorable late WCW and WWE stuff.
Also the fourth disc is just clipps of other topics cutout of the other discs. Also I think when some quite important topics are discussed he has no memories.
Overall it was fine but could have been much better (mainly his fault I think... then he screwed them over).
Old 02-07-10, 04:37 PM

I might sound stupid but what the hell is chew/spit?
Old 02-07-10, 04:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JohnnyDaBull
I might sound stupid but what the hell is chew/spit?
Flair kept chewing and spitting tobacco throughout the shoot interview and many people find that disgusting and annoying.
Old 02-07-10, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by dx23
Flair kept chewing and spitting tobacco throughout the shoot interview and many people find that disgusting and annoying.
Thanks! yeah I wouldn't be watching that LOL.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.