DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Pop Flix Western/Mafia/Crime/Action sets (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/562066-pop-flix-western-mafia-crime-action-sets.html)

starmummy 09-25-09 10:50 AM

Pop Flix Western/Mafia/Crime/Action sets

I found these sets that were just released online by Pop Flix. A lot of OOP titles (Rome Armed to the Teeth, The Cynic The Rat and the Fist) and even some Blue Underground titles (Run Man Run, Keoma, Street Law). Anyone know anything about these?

visitor Q 09-25-09 07:08 PM

Re: Pop Flix Western/Mafia/Crime/Action sets

Big Guns Collection

Mafia Kingpin Collection

Vigilante Western Collection

Charles Bronson Collection

Femme Fatales Collection

...and more.

Subgeniusguy 09-25-09 07:31 PM

Some great titles on some of these. I hope the quality is worthwhile. The Crime Boss set is the only one with a review and rated it 1 star of 5.

"DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY UNLESS YOU LIKE FOREIGN(ITALIAN) FILMS. HORRIBLE-INCLUDING ALOT OF GRIZZLEY VIOLENCE. "

Guess I'll have to waste my money cuz I like FOREIGN(ITALIAN) FILMS and I'm decidedly a fan of ALOT OF GRIZZLEY VIOLENCE.

starmummy 09-25-09 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Subgeniusguy (Post 9731878)
Some great titles on some of these. I hope the quality is worthwhile. The Crime Boss set is the only one with a review and rated it 1 star of 5.

"DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY UNLESS YOU LIKE FOREIGN(ITALIAN) FILMS. HORRIBLE-INCLUDING ALOT OF GRIZZLEY VIOLENCE. "

Guess I'll have to waste my money cuz I like FOREIGN(ITALIAN) FILMS and I'm decidedly a fan of ALOT OF GRIZZLEY VIOLENCE.

Those hardly sound like insults. I am curious to see what the transfers are like. I have Blue Underground versions of a few of the films so I have something to compare them to. The boots I have of a couple titles (The Cynic, the Rat and the Fist and Violent Naples) have excellent transfers so I am also curious to see how they compare to these sets.

hindolio 09-26-09 12:39 AM

wow these seem like a bargain if the transfers are good. but what are the chances if there are six flicks on 2 disks?

visitor Q 09-26-09 08:08 AM

Transfers probably aren't any worse than the large Grindhouse or Drive In classic sets. Then again, if it's the only way to get the films, $6/pc isn't too bad especially where some of these films (Mafia Kingpin collection for example) are OOP or only available as boots.

I've never heard of Pop Flix before and I'm more curious if they are an authorized distributor. IMDB only lists a half dozen films under their wing (even though I only take that with a grain of salt).

ernestrp 09-27-09 11:27 AM

http://www.cduniverse.com/sresult.as...+Flix&seeall=1

Pop Flix titles at CDuniverse. Seems some of these are in tins!!! for a little more $.

starmummy 09-28-09 09:55 AM

I actually bought a Charles Bronson 4 movie set from them at Walgreens a year ago for $5. I never ended up watching it before I sold it so I'm not sure about the transfers.

starmummy 10-02-09 04:34 PM

I previewed a few of these last night. Transfers for the Blue Underground titles look about as good as the BU releases. Cop in Blue Jeans looks like the same crappy VHS transfer as the cheapo dollar store dvd I have. For the money, these sets are a steal.

murphy_wmm 11-24-12 09:06 PM

They've now expanded into Giallo as well. I picked up the following two sets:

Blood Red Nights Collection
- Deep Red
- The Cat O'Nine Tails
- Seven Blood Stained Orchids
- Short Night of Glass Dolls

Killers on the Loose Collection
- The Red Queen Kills 7 Times
- The Fifth Cord
- Seven Notes in Black (aka The Psychic)
- Don't Torture a Duckling

Although I already have 3 out of 4 films on both sets, it was worth getting for The Red Queen Kills 7 Times and Seven Blood Stained Orchids, both of which appear to be OOP. There's also the shorter version of "Deep Red" which I hear is better as the pacing is alot tighter and the extended scenes tend to lighten the mood of the film. All the films are in widescreen, with "Deep Red" appearing to be the best of the lot. They are probably the same transfers that have been used before. Unfortunately, as to be expected the films do suffer from compression (two films on each disc), so I'm still glad to have the standalone versions of the other films. It's too bad Pop Flix didn't make the discs double-sided. But, the sets only cost me $5 each. For anybody who is interested in checking out some Giallo movies, this a great way to get started, as these two cheap sets feature some of the best of the genre.

SethDLH 11-24-12 09:12 PM

Too bad all 8 of those are widely available. I'd crap myself with joy if they offered up some rarer/harder to find titles.

murphy_wmm 11-25-12 05:41 PM

Well, I did find one more today, which has the following titles:

Deadly Fiends Collection
- The Case of the Bloody Iris
- Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key
- Death Laid an Egg
- The Dark is Death's Friend (aka The Killer Must Kill Again)

While most of these have already been released as well, it looks like "Death Laid an Egg" is a new title. Good prints once again, just the same compression issues - as to be expected.

man*machine 11-25-12 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by murphy_wmm (Post 11482623)
Well, I did find one more today, which has the following titles:

Deadly Fiends Collection
- The Case of the Bloody Iris
- Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key
- Death Laid an Egg
- The Dark is Death's Friend (aka The Killer Must Kill Again)

While most of these have already been released as well, it looks like "Death Laid an Egg" is a new title. Good prints once again, just the same compression issues - as to be expected.

Where did you find this one? No on-line retailer has it in stock as far as I can tell.

murphy_wmm 11-25-12 07:09 PM

I found it in-store at HMV here in Canada for $5.

man*machine 11-25-12 09:27 PM

Thanks. HMV doesn't exist anywhere near here, unfortunately. I think this set has probably been recalled because of DEATH LAID AN EGG, which is the only rare one in the set and the only one I'm after. I recall BU or AB were once going to release it on DVD years ago, but legal isssues arose and it never happened. If you want to sell your copy, let me know.

SethDLH 11-25-12 09:35 PM

Gah, I think Death Laid An Egg is mediocre but having a legit dvd release of it is probably worth the $5 to me...

Spottedfeather 11-26-12 01:05 AM

It really depends on the source of the movies. I have the Pop Flix Sonny Chiba Street Fighter set and it's just alright. The movies for the most part are watchable. Sort of on par with a 20 year old VHS taped off of tv. Not horrible, but not good either. Though, with kung fu movies, it sort of adds to the enjoyment of it.

GoldenWheels 11-26-12 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by man*machine (Post 11482719)
Where did you find this one? No on-line retailer has it in stock as far as I can tell.

I was trying to get samples sent to me from Allegro on those two giallo sets and was told the set may have been pulled for rights issues, so you may be right on Death Laid an Egg. Still trying to get the whole story on these sets (bargain giallo sets not exactly being common I want these even though I have 50% of the included movies already!)

I love the italo-crime ones. Prints are decent and widescreen for the most part, though on at least one I see some hardcoded subtitles partly covered by the frame, so it's been messed with somehow.

Glad they are getting into European/cult stuff. They were just same ol crap PD movies for a while...Father's Little Dividend, Man With the Golden Arm, etc. Much more interesting material lately.

GoldenWheels 11-26-12 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather (Post 11483183)
It really depends on the source of the movies. I have the Pop Flix Sonny Chiba Street Fighter set and it's just alright. The movies for the most part are watchable. Sort of on par with a 20 year old VHS taped off of tv. Not horrible, but not good either. Though, with kung fu movies, it sort of adds to the enjoyment of it.

Do you have the VCI ones too Spotted? I honestly thought they had ripped them right from VCIs copy the print was so close.

murphy_wmm 11-26-12 07:55 AM

The prints on the Giallo sets are pretty much pristine, except for the compression which does bring things down a notch. But they are all 16x9. "Deep Red" is the best looking one and doesn't seem to be as affected by compression as the rest. "Death Laid an Egg" also looks pretty good, and the compression isn't too bad. I'm going to guess that these were probably taken from transfers already put out on the market, but i'd be curious to know where "Death Laid an Egg" came from.

I've also been curious regarding the rights situation. I really enjoyed the italo-crime sets. Lots of good movies for cheap. They had a bunch of copies at HMV, so I am not sure if they got the memo if it's being pulled or if they will just sell it anyway.

SethDLH 11-26-12 09:41 AM

I figure this is a good place to ask- If anyone comes across the Italo-Crime set that contains "Rome Armed To The Teeth" please pick it up for me!

Ash Ketchum 11-26-12 10:25 AM

These strike me as gray-market/bootleg/p.d. releases. The only set I'd spring for, Mafia Kingpin, is already out of print and listed as "3 new from $69.99, 5 used from $19.81."

SethDLH 11-26-12 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum (Post 11483465)
These strike me as gray-market/bootleg/p.d. releases. The only set I'd spring for, Mafia Kingpin, is already out of print and listed as "3 new from $69.99, 5 used from $19.81."

There are a couple versions of it- the out of print one contains Rome Armed To The Teeth (which is why I'm searching for it) but the other 4 films on the set are identical to the in print version.

GoldenWheels 11-26-12 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum (Post 11483465)
These strike me as gray-market/bootleg/p.d. releases.

That's pretty much what they are.

Originally Posted by SethDLH (Post 11483468)
There are a couple versions of it- the out of print one contains Rome Armed To The Teeth (which is why I'm searching for it) but the other 4 films on the set are identical to the in print version.

I checked our stock Seth and all we have is the new one. Haven't gotten the one with Rome in months apparently.

SethDLH 11-26-12 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels (Post 11483509)

I checked our stock Seth and all we have is the new one. Haven't gotten the one with Rome in months apparently.

Thanks for looking. It seems they replaced RATTT with another film (don't recall off hand) but I have the newer set without RATTT and it is still well worth the $5-6 for Euro Crime fans. I just really want to own a decent print of Rome Armed To The Teeth haha