DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

AK 100: 25 Films by Akira Kurosawa - The Criterion Collection

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-09, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: AK 100: 25 Films by Akira Kurosawa - The Criterion Collection

Originally Posted by BuddhaWake
sorry but for the money it doesn't make sense not to include the exta discs that are available from their prior editions. a newby of kurosawa is not going to drop the money on this and someone who is into the master would already have most or all of the ones released by criterion like most here and I do.
See, that's what I'm thinking. The average consumer isn't going to drop $300+ on this, since more than likely, they won't be familiar with Kurosawa's work. Those that are into Kurosawa's work will more than likely have most of these already, or if they don't, would want the extras.
Old 09-19-09, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by BuddhaWake
sorry but for the money it doesn't make sense not to include the exta discs that are available from their prior editions. a newby of kurosawa is not going to drop the money on this and someone who is into the master would already have most or all of the ones released by criterion like most here and I do.
Um, for the money it totally makes sense that they dropped the extras. Even using MSRP, it only comes out to $16 per movie. They would have to charge about $20-25 per movie if they kept all the extras.
Old 09-19-09, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

is not like they have to do anything new, just put those second discs in there, is not like they don't exist. and we're talking 5-6 discs right? that wouldn't make the average $25. not all kurosawa releases have 2 discs or more.
Old 09-19-09, 05:42 PM

If this included the extras I'd dump my old ones and get this. As it stands, I'll stick with my old ones and hope for a separate release of the 5 unreleased movies...or finally break down and get the cheap HK versions.
Old 09-19-09, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, they went ahead and took out the extras on the single discs too (no commentaries, etc. - and I'm assuming new menus), which is actually more work than just plopping the old discs into the set. Since they're doing that, it means that they'd have to pay someone something more in order to use those extras again in this package. So not having them at all shows that it's a big cost-cutting measure.
Old 09-21-09, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not much incentive for me to buy this when I already own all of the CC special editions. However, I hope they release the ones that are in the box set and nowhere else with their own spine numbers...
Old 09-21-09, 12:47 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very much so.
Old 09-21-09, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SLeopold
If this included the extras I'd dump my old ones and get this. As it stands, I'll stick with my old ones and hope for a separate release of the 5 unreleased movies...or finally break down and get the cheap HK versions.
I would recommend against the HK versions. I have Sanshiro Sugata---the picture quality is pretty bad, and I believe they translated the Japanese into Chinese, and THEN translated the Chinese into English for the subtitles. The result is that the subtitles are kind of like abstract, free-form poetry that only occasionally corresponds to what's happening on-screen.
Old 09-21-09, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you really want Sanshiro Sugata, there is the recommended Madman Australia version which has deleted scenes discovered on it.
Old 09-25-09, 01:14 PM

Evidently Criterion learned very little from the Janus Box set. One of Criterion's selling points from day one has been the supplements. If the target market for this box and other boxes sans supplements is rental, then I could understand this decision. However by the looks of the packaging it's target market is its core audience with which the inclusion of supplements is expected. The argument that supplements would increase the cost substantially is nonsense. They already exist. End result equals no sale.
Old 09-25-09, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by SanityRemoved
Evidently Criterion learned very little from the Janus Box set.
You mean the Janus box set that sold out? It looks like they learned a lot from it, actually. I understand your reasons for not buying, but there's clearly a market for big, expensive bare-bones sets.
Old 09-25-09, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by indy81
You mean the Janus box set that sold out? It looks like they learned a lot from it, actually. I understand your reasons for not buying, but there's clearly a market for big, expensive bare-bones sets.
I wanted to buy the book from that set but never got around to it, now is not available. I also liked that package better than this one.
Old 09-25-09, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by indy81
Still for sale at Criterion.
Old 11-21-09, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

This will be something to consider during the next Barnes & Noble 50% off sale.
Old 11-22-09, 09:49 AM

Ha! The first visit to Barnes & Noble last week I purchased The Human Condition [Masaki Kobayashi] and the clerk got really excited to tell me that he had a nice giftset being released soon. Naturally, I was quite confused and he proceeded to give me a flyer advertising this Kurosawa set....funny it was.
Old 11-22-09, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Maxflier
This will be something to consider during the next Barnes & Noble 50% off sale.

Especially if there's a 25% off coupon to apply on top of it.

$200 (400 x 50% off discount) - $20 (10% off members discount) = $180 - 25% off coupon = $135 (before tax)

Averages out to $5.40 per movie.
Old 12-14-09, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.criterion.com/current/posts/1330

Originally Posted by Criterion's Current Blog
Thinking Outside the Box

We were amazed at how many e-mails we received from people saying they already had twenty of the titles included in the new box set AK 100: 25 Films by Akira Kurosawa. A big thank-you to all who contacted us about this. It’s never our aim to make you buy the same title over again. If we do rerelease a title, it’s because we feel it merits a new edition: a new transfer or new supplements, frequently both. We thought (and still think) of AK 100 as a great way to introduce your friends to Kurosawa—it’s really a magnificent present.

To answer the most frequently asked question: yes, we will be releasing separately the five titles in the set that had previously been unavailable from Criterion: Sanshiro Sugata; The Most Beautiful; Sanshiro Sugata, Part Two; The Men Who Tread on the Tiger’s Tail; and Madadayo. Sanshiro Sugata; Sanshiro Sugata, Part Two; and The Most Beautiful will be released in an Eclipse set; The Men Who Tread on the Tiger’s Tail and Madadayo will be released in Criterion editions.

As for other Kurosawa plans, we had hoped to celebrate the actual centenary, in March, with a Blu-ray edition of Seven Samurai, but weeks of additional restoration have turned into months—yes, it looks really amazing—and the release won’t be until later in 2010. Instead, on March 23, we’ll be releasing Kurosawa’s Yojimbo and Sanjuro. They look great, too. A last word about AK 100: if you haven’t had a chance to pick up, feel, and look at this beautiful, linen-bound box, you should. The design is great, and the book inside is wonderful. There are many iconic stills from the movies that you’ll certainly recognize, but what’s especially neat is that Kurosawa himself appears in many of the images, just outside the framing with which you’re familiar. It’s fascinating to see where he placed himself in the process.
Old 12-14-09, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

3 more CC Blu-Rays to look forward to
Old 12-14-09, 03:30 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Indeed. Now wtf should I do w/ my DVD of the films I already own? I'll most likely still keep them JUST in case I lose the Blu of them somehow..I just..can't give them away. We've gone through so much.
Old 12-14-09, 05:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Indeed. Now wtf should I do w/ my DVD of the films I already own? I'll most likely still keep them JUST in case I lose the Blu of them somehow..I just..can't give them away. We've gone through so much.
That's precisely what I did with my previous SD copies of Seven, Sanjuro and Yojimbo. Gave them away to an acquaintance who would never be able to afford them in the first place.
Old 12-14-09, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't see why you can't keep the dvds once you get the blu-rays - it's not like they become unplayable - in fact, the dvds are more playable, since they're not so tethered to blu-ray players and HDTVs.