Reload this Page >

Official MST3K / Rifftrax / Cinematic Titanic DVD Thread

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Official MST3K / Rifftrax / Cinematic Titanic DVD Thread

Old 04-12-12, 11:36 PM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Official MST3K / Rifftrax / Cinematic Titanic DVD Thread

Now people will get to hear from Fu Manchu once again!
Old 04-13-12, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO, they'll never be able to top the 20th Anniversary Set (Volume 13) as far as bonus features go. The only other edifying bonus features I can think if are the Coleman Francis documentary, and maybe the featurettes on bizarro international features like Santa Claus and the Russo-Finnish troika. (I'd mention "Hotel Torgo" if it hadn't already seen it online years ago.)

What are your favorite Shout Factory MST3K extras?
Old 04-13-12, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"The Incredible Mr. Lippert" (Volume 23)
"Jam Handy And You" (Manos The Hands Of Fate)
"No Dialogue Necessary" (Volume 18)
Old 04-14-12, 10:09 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 669 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by FRwL
You saw Joel with your own eyeballs? No way, nuh huh, nooooo. I hate you!!!!!!!!!!
I've shared it once or thrice in other threads, but I'll repeat it again here. It's pretty much my favorite life moment until my wedding.

Back in 1990 or whenever the first season of MST3K on The Comedy Channel ended, I took my first trip to Minnesota (my sort of Mecca for mainly sports reasons).

I was at Vikings training camp and knew that Best Brains studio was somewhere nearby. On a whim, I looked them up in a phone book and called. I said something like, "I'm a fan traveling through the state, appreciate what you guys do, and just wanted to say thank you."

The guy who answered the phone, who I think was toolmaster Jef Maynard, said the most magical words I'd ever heard up to that point in my life. Something like, "You know, tonight is our season 1 wrap party. Why don't you stop by and be our token fan?"

So I got to spend several hours as they had a big bash at the studio. It was just the cast and crew, their families, and me. I met Joel's parents, got to watch a rough draft of the season 2 premiere, and generally just stood around starstruck all evening.
Old 04-14-12, 02:02 PM
En vacance

Gosh that's really beautiful... you were at the ascent time before the show kicked into high gear. Guess you're part of mst history as they have their post s1 party. Are you on the mst3k forum? You should check it, they'd love to hear that stuff.
Old 04-14-12, 03:21 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 669 Likes on 448 Posts

Only marginally MST3K related, but Bill Corbett is doing a Kickstarter comic book project that looks like fun.
Old 04-15-12, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
I was shocked this morning when I was listening to my local Oldies radio station and they had an ad for the new box set. Are "Oldies" station listeners the right demographic for this? If so I feel pretty old.
When oldies stations started in the 1970s, a lot of the music they played was frequently just 10 years old or so. So, going by that original definition on how old music has to be to be called an "oldie", the song "Oops!... I Did It Again!" is already an "oldie".
Old 04-26-12, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by thedigitalfix
MediumRare Entertainment have announced the UK home entertainment release of Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie on 11 June 2012. The big screen version of the comedy sci-fi TV series comes to DVD and Blu-ray with extras including a making-of, trailer and stills gallery.
Old 05-01-12, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Rifftrax Live! show of "Jack The Giant Killer" is now available on DVD and burn-to-DVD.
Old 06-19-12, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts

I found a MST3K Volume 9 today at my local Half Price. They had it marked at $150.00, but I had a 15% coupon, which knocked it down to about what a used copy is on Amazon. What are the odds of finding a volume 9 in person? The box and discs are in good condition, so I bit. How could I not.

With this volume I now have all the boxes. Volume 8 has no slip case though, so I'm still keeping an eye out for a better box. Still got the discs to watch though.

All I've got to get are a handful of singles:

Red Zone Cuba
The Brain That Wouldn't Die
The Wild World of Batwoman
I Accuse My Parents

and keep up with whatever box/singles Shout!Factory releases.

No, wait. I stand corrected. I don't have volume 10.2, but since I've got 10 I've been on the fence about it.

Last edited by coyoteblue; 06-19-12 at 04:56 PM.
Old 06-19-12, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
I found a MST3K Volume 9 today at my local Half Price. They had it marked at $150.00, but I had a 15% coupon, which knocked it down to about what a used copy is on Amazon. What are the odds of finding a volume 9 in person? The box and discs are in good condition, so I bit. How could I not.

With this volume I now have all the boxes. Volume 8 has no slip case though, so I'm still keeping an eye out for a better box. Still got the discs to watch though.

All I've got to get are a handful of singles:

Red Zone Cuba
The Brain That Wouldn't Die
The Wild World of Batwoman
I Accuse My Parents

and keep up with whatever box/singles Shout!Factory releases.

No, wait. I stand corrected. I don't have volume 10.2, but since I've got 10 I've been on the fence about it.
The only difference between 10 and 10.2:
V.10 has "Godzilla vs. Megalon"
V.10.2 replaces "Godzilla" with "The Great Gila Monster". Rhino offered "Gila Monster" as a single for people that had already purchased V.10.

Shout Factory has "Batwoman" and "Red Zone Cuba" as single releases. The other two are OOP.

Here's a good list of what episodes are on DVD and whom distributed them: http://mst3k.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Episodes_Released
Old 06-19-12, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
What was the reason vol. 9 went OOP and skyrocketed in price? Did Rhino lose the rights to one of the movies?
Old 06-19-12, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by big e
What was the reason vol. 9 went OOP and skyrocketed in price? Did Rhino lose the rights to one of the movies?
From what I can gather it's either their license for one of the movies ran out (that's a pretty short licensing window, though) and couldn't be renewed or one of the movies rightsholders made a fuss (Women of the Prehistoric Planet might be the culprit). Either way it went out of print in what seemed like a blink of the eye and not many sets were released to the wild.
Old 07-30-12, 09:32 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Volume XXV announced:

110- ROBOT HOLOCAUST with short: COMMANDO CODY PT 9
508- OPERATION KID BROTHER (aka OPERATION DOUBLE 007; they couldn’t get the rights under the other name)
615- KITTEN WITH A WHIP
801- REVENGE OF THE CREATURE

The big news here is that Shout got both Universal and MGM titles. Should open up a lot of episodes previously thought to be unreleasable.

Wonder what they're going to have to change for "Operation Kid Brother".
Old 07-31-12, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,387 Likes on 1,018 Posts

Originally Posted by sb5

I'm not sure I've ever seen that episode, but it seems that most of the in-movie content should be covered under the parody rules, it's just the blatant 007 reference in the title that probably put a bustle in somebody's hedgerow over at Eon productions.

Anybody's vol 24 (releasing today) shipped from Amazon yet? I pre-ordered it on June 8th, and it's saying it's not going to ship till next week!?
Old 07-31-12, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sb5
Volume XXV announced:

110- ROBOT HOLOCAUST with short: COMMANDO CODY PT 9
508- OPERATION KID BROTHER (aka OPERATION DOUBLE 007; they couldn’t get the rights under the other name)
615- KITTEN WITH A WHIP
801- REVENGE OF THE CREATURE

The big news here is that Shout got both Universal and MGM titles. Should open up a lot of episodes previously thought to be unreleasable.

Has a date been set?

I'm amazed Shout! was able to get Revenge of the creature; I didn't think that one would ever show up.
Old 07-31-12, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Anybody's vol 24 (releasing today) shipped from Amazon yet? I pre-ordered it on June 8th, and it's saying it's not going to ship till next week!?
Just got mine in the mail today. I have prime though, so don't know if that matters.
Old 07-31-12, 02:01 PM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Mine shipped out today and I just went with free shipping.
Old 07-31-12, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by sb5
The big news here is that Shout got both Universal and MGM titles.
Yeah, I went "wow" out loud twice while reading through that list. All of the titles were pegged by fans as unlikely to ever be released. Great news, and I hope it bodes well for the future.

Last edited by Preterite; 07-31-12 at 03:54 PM.
Old 07-31-12, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I preordered on July 5th and mine hasn't shipped yet. I've complained about this at least once in this thread, it always takes forever to ship when I order MST sets from Amazon. I think it usually takes a couple of days after release date. It's fine if I don't have it by release date, but it should at least ship on release date if they're in stock. I think I've preordered every Shout set from Amazon, I don't think I've gotten one of them within release week.

Anyway, Robot Holocaust That movie is hysterical on it's own. Angelika Jager's accent kills me, every single word. It'll be nice to see a better quality copy of the episode. They played Robot Holocaust on the MGM HD channel before, it actually looked pretty amazing. I wish there was a way to work that footage into the episode somehow.
Old 08-01-12, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We don't have Amazon Prime, but I can't help but think of the old days when the online stores would actually ship a few days early to get DVDs to you by the release date (or sooner).
Old 08-01-12, 09:39 AM
En vacance

Robot Holocaust is the inspiration for Matrix. Bout time 007 made it.
Old 08-01-12, 07:51 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Shout Factory posted on their Facebook page that nothing will be changed in the Operation Double 007 episode itself - only the packaging and menu will have the title "Operation Kid Brother".
Old 08-02-12, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally got my shipping notice last night.

I might have mentioned this before, but I'm moving a lot of my DVDs into binders, and after some hesitation, I dumped a huge chunk of my collection into a binder (mostly Star Trek so far). I'll be doing MST3K next. I had asked some months back and I thought there was somebody who would want all the packaging, are you still around?
Old 08-02-12, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finally got my shipping notice last night.

I might have mentioned this before, but I'm moving a lot of my DVDs into binders, and after some hesitation, I dumped a huge chunk of my collection into a binder (mostly Star Trek so far). I'll be doing MST3K next. I had asked some months back and I thought there was somebody who would want all the packaging, are you still around?
I'm interested in the packaging for MST3K volume 8. PM me, please.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.