Official MST3K / Rifftrax / Cinematic Titanic DVD Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-11, 12:27 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Official MST3K / Rifftrax / Cinematic Titanic DVD Thread

Originally Posted by Apple Gooncha
I'm sure this has been asked, but do the Shout Factory releases of individual titles feature any extras/anything special? I have all of the Rhino releases (except vol. 10) and so far I have all of the Shout sets. I just want to make sure I'm not going to miss anything.
Nope. Shout Factory's individual re-releases of Rhino titles are barebones - if you have the Rhino releases, there's no reason to pick them up unless you're a collector.

Last edited by sb5; 05-25-11 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-25-11, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Nevermind about the coupon, wife just went and ordered that 20th set with the Crow figure for me for an early birthday present. It's really something special to have a wife that can understand things like this
So this arrived today, tin was in great shape, but the Crow figure has a point of separation between his chest and his first...lampshade? Anyways, he comes apart at this point. Is this supposed to be glued together?

tks
Old 05-25-11, 08:39 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mine has always come apart at the various connection points (net to his head, top part of torso to bottom part, etc.) - not sure if it's intentional or if there was glue that just didn't hold.
Old 06-14-11, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Previously released on DVD twice by Rhino (as a 2001 stand-alone disc, and in 2004 as part of "The Essentials" set) but long out-of-print, Shout! Factory has announced that they are bringing to participating stores this year a new 2-DVD release of Mystery Science Theater 3000 - Manos: Hands Of Fate Special Edition. Available on September 13th for $24.97, you'll get the classic MST3K episode, AND the original Manos feature film as well. Plus retailers have been informed of all sorts of bonus material, naturally, including a brand-new making-of documentary: "Interviews with Joel, Frank, Mary Jo and Trace; MST3K short 'Hired!' Parts 1 and 2 (together for the first time), Mystery Science Theater Hour wraps, brand-new 'Jam Handy and You!' featurette, 'Hotel Torgo' (30-min. making-of doc.)".

Taken from: http://tvshowsondvd.com/n/15510#ixzz1PHZh0qvJ
Old 06-14-11, 03:35 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

^ Great. Guess I'm buying it for the third time.
Old 06-14-11, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

So, will anyone sit through the regular version?
Old 06-14-11, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I bought the standalone and then the Essentials disc. I can do without the un-MSTied version.
Old 06-14-11, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
^ Great. Guess I'm buying it for the third time.
As much as I'd like to hold out, I'm sure I'll buy it again, too. Here's hoping there's a good deal on it.
Old 06-16-11, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Amazon has it listed for 17.49: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0055CP9UY/

The Rhino release had the 30-minute "Poopie!" (outtakes) as a special feature, which is (so far) missing from the Shout! release.

Last edited by DGibFen; 06-16-11 at 01:28 AM.
Old 08-01-11, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Per the Satellite News website:

Volume XXII will contain:

306- TIME OF THE APES
314- MIGHTY JACK
610- THE VIOLENT YEARS (with short: YOUNG MAN’S FANCY) Yay! A personal fave!!
702- THE BRUTE MAN (with short: THE CHICKEN OF TOMORROW)
Old 08-01-11, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't recall seeing any of those on TV (I seriously think I saw less than a couple dozen episodes), but I know Time of the Apes is highly requested in the community.
Old 08-01-11, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I'll buy any thing MST that Shout releases, but I was hoping for more Sci-Fi era episodes (those are the ones I missed when they aired).
Old 08-01-11, 08:32 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

I never imagined we'd get 9 Season Three episodes in a single year considering the rights issues (especially the Gameras) with a lot of them.

Also great to have some Mike episodes after 2 sets without any.

Solid set all around.
Old 08-01-11, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

2 more Japanese episodes, nice.
Old 08-02-11, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a review up for the Gamera MST set over at infini-tropolis dot com The link is on the right side of the front page under the "Short Circuits" section... can't miss it.
Old 08-03-11, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I pre-ordered this a few weeks ago on Amazon and I haven't even received a "shipped" message. Anyone else's delayed from Amazon?
Old 08-03-11, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I pre-ordered this a few weeks ago on Amazon and I haven't even received a "shipped" message. Anyone else's delayed from Amazon?
Mine shipped Today!
Old 08-03-11, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I ordered Gamera from DVDPacific, got my confirmation a few days ago.
Old 08-03-11, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Meglos
Per the Satellite News website:
Oh! Your! God! Time of the Apes and Mighty Jack in the same set? It's a good thing I'm sitting down! I guess once the Sandy Frank embargo had been cleared for Gamera,it paved the way for his other gems as well. Can Fugitive Alien be far behind?

Oh, and I got my shipping notice from Amazon today, too.

Edited to add: And my upstairs neighbor just dropped off the shipment from Amazon! Five MST3K episodes in an awesome tin, and my shipment from Cinematic Titanic arrived, too! This makes up for a horrific couple of weeks!

Last edited by Preterite; 08-03-11 at 10:40 PM.
Old 08-05-11, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally got a shipped message this morning.

It's so weird, we'll randomly buy already released DVDs off of Amazon from time to time and they show up in like 2 days, but this one I preordered 2 weeks ago with some other stuff which was also delayed shipping, and I was expecting this would ship to arrive on Tuesday.
Old 08-08-11, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Finally shipped today for me. Was expecting it sooner, since I had it pre-ordered a month in advance. Oh well. At least I'm getting it.
Old 08-09-11, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

The first review of the new Manos set is in. The pertinent parts:

The fullframe interlaced transfer that graces this DVD won't blow you away but it’s watchable enough particularly when taken in the intended context. You will see the MST3K silhouettes in front of the screen so purists take note, and the transfer is taken from an old TV master so those expecting the movie to appear here as it was originally intended will be disappointed. That said, it looks as good here as it did on TV when it first aired and pristine video quality isn't really the point here. If you’ve seen MST3K before, you’ll know what to expect.

The commentary comes through nice and clear, there are no problems understanding the participants but there are times where the dialogue for the movie itself is a bit too low and muffled. As far as the quality of that part is concerned, it's on par with the transfer. It's not great; in fact, there are times where it sounds quite shrill. It gets the job done, I suppose, but it's nothing impressive – but you’re more concerned with hearing the riffing here anyway, right? That part comes through just fine.

As far as the extras go, amazingly enough this is a two disc set and it’s stacked with goodies. On the first disc we get the MST3K version of the movie, but additionally we get a new eighteen minute featurette entitled Group Therapy: that reunites Joel, Trace, Frank and Mary Jo to discuss this infamous episode. They start off by trying to explain just what the plot of Manos is and from there they go on to talk about the infamous ‘slow, scenic drive to that plot’ and the weird jazz soundtrack. They express their admiration for and confusion from the movie, talk about its allure, and what makes Manos work so well in the MST3K context, including how putting the short Hired in front of it really works and how this episode features the group with ‘all pistons firing.’ The first disc also features 5:11 worth of Mystery Science Hour wraps that are pretty amusing and which discuss in mock-serious tone the appeal of Torgo and the greatness of Manos in general.

Disc two includes Manos on its own, should you ever decide to want to watch the movie without the MST3K riffing. The movie is presented in fullframe and it’s not in the best of shape but it’s great to see Shout! Factory including the ‘standard’ version of the movie here and it’s something that a lot of fans would probably appreciate seeing more of in the future where possible. At any rate, it’s a worn and muffled sounding presentation but its inclusion here really helps to fill out the set quite nicely.

If that weren’t enough, next we get Hotel Torgo, a twenty seven minute long documentary on the making of Manos The Hands Of Fate that includes some modern day location footage of the El Paso locations used in the film and which includes a lot of input from ‘Manos Historian’ Richard Brandt who explains how the movie was made by a fertilizer salesman in the sixties. Since the cast and crew have all either passed away or vanished since the movie was made, there aren’t any interviews with them here except for Bernie Rosenblum who was a cast member (he played one of the teenagers in the car) and who helped work the camera on the film. He talks about how Hal Warren came on board, and that he was ‘just fucking nuts’ and how he was going to be the star, director, and producer of the movie. Rosenblum has got some great stories about the shoot, the cast, and how this whole mess was put together while Brandt is able to put many of the comments into context. Rosenblum also takes us on a tour of some of the locations and talks about how certain shots were done and how Manos started to become a cult film and how it has sort of followed him around since the MST3K episode brought the movie out of the shadows of the past and into the mind of pop culture lovers around the world.

Also included on the disc is Jam Handy To the Rescue!: A Ballyhoo Production. This is a twenty-three minute Shout! Factory presentation that gives us some background on who Jam Handy is in the context of a fake educational short film. It ties in with some of the riffing from the Manos/Hired! bit, "Jam Handy to the rescue!" and it’s actually very well done in terms of keeping it believable in the context of the educational movie format. There are also two minutes worth of bloopers from the shoot included here, and an ‘archival’ TV spot entitled ‘Look Over There’ meant to promote the Jam Handy film. Also included here is My (Educational ) Short Life which is a nine minute interview with Joel Hodgson about why MST3K started taking on educational short films and how Comedy Central wound up with all of these old short movies in the first place. From there, Joel talks about what the appeal is of old short movies and how taken out of their intended context they tend to be really bizarre and how the Handy films were actually just thinly veiled car advertisements made under the guise of being educational movies about the automobile industry.

Last but not least, disc two also includes ‘Hired!: Parts 1 & 2’ in their MST3K form with the riffing completely intact. Both of these are pretty funny and features the satellite’s crew in fine form as they poke plenty of holes in what is really a very dated and hokey promotional movie. Combined, this one clocks in at just under nineteen minutes in length.

Both discs feature some nifty animated menus and chapter stops for the two versions of the film included in the set. Inside the keepcase is an exclusive mini-poster by artist Steve Vance that replicates the cover art of the DVD.
http://www.rockshockpop.com/forums/c...ial-Edition%29
Old 08-10-11, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Gamera set finally came yesterday while I was out running errands. This is a very nice box, didn't expect the textured feel to it. Haven't had a chance to spin it yet. I also recently picked up all of Shout's DVDs of the Gamera films in the original Japanese and I'm debating watching all those first.

As for the Manos set, looks nice but I still can't bring myself to buy this a third time.
Old 08-10-11, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I hope my set comes today. I was expecting it yesterday and even had time to watch an episode.
Old 08-11-11, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Saw that my set came in when I got home from work. 'Twas a delight...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.