DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Official MST3K / Rifftrax / Cinematic Titanic DVD Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/561572-official-mst3k-rifftrax-cinematic-titanic-dvd-thread.html)

majorjoe23 10-05-18 12:28 PM

Re: Official MST3K / Rifftrax / Cinematic Titanic DVD Thread

MST3K Vol. 9 will be reissued January 15, 2019.

Women of the Prehistoric Planet
The Wild Rebels
The Sinister Urge
The Incredibly Strange Creatures

Quack 10-05-18 12:53 PM

Do these ever get a good price drop?

majorjoe23 10-05-18 12:56 PM

They seem to be on sale for less than $20 on Amazon fairly regularly.

Jay G. 10-05-18 01:15 PM

You can always set up a price alert:
https://camelcamelcamel.com/search?s...er+3000+volume

majorjoe23 10-12-18 09:27 AM

Five of the six season 12 film titles have been leaked.

I’ll include them in the spoiler
Spoiler:

12.1 Mac and Me 12.2 Atlantic Rim 12.3 Lords of the Deep 12.4 The Day Time Ended 12.6 Ator

There were four Ator movies, including Cave Dwellers, Which MST3K previously riffed. Rifftrax has done the first one, which I’m hoping this isn’t a reriff of. Atlantic Rim is from this decade.

Jay G. 10-12-18 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 (Post 13424419)
Five of the six season 12 film titles have been leaked.

I’ll include them in the spoiler
Spoiler:

12.1 Mac and Me 12.2 Atlantic Rim 12.3 Lords of the Deep 12.4 The Day Time Ended 12.6 Ator

There were four Ator movies, including Cave Dwellers, Which MST3K previously riffed. Rifftrax has done the first one, which I’m hoping this isn’t a reriff of. Atlantic Rim is from this decade.

Spoiler:
Atlantic Rim is on of The Asylum's cheap "mockbusters," this one ripping off Pacific Rim.

Trevor 10-13-18 02:06 AM

Saw the mst3k live show in DC tonight, both of them actually. Fantastic!

Jonah, Joel, Crow & Tom Servo & their puppeteers/voices, and Synthia (Pearl’s clone) were the talent, riffing The Brain and Deathstalker II with fun host segments interspersed throughout. I’ve only seen a few Rifftrax Lives, and the Mads, sadly missing any CT shows and last year’s MST3K tour, but this was the best live experience riff yet. I’ll always be a Joel guy (see my avatar photo taken by him) but damn if Jonah Ray isn’t a perfect and hilarious replacement.

majorjoe23 10-13-18 10:08 AM

I’m going to the final shows of the tour. I can’t wait.

Since the last tour shows were never released, I’m kind of tempted to record the audio on my phone to merge with a video of the film. But it would also involve some editing due to the live skits and any cuts to the films and I’m lazy.

Trevor 10-13-18 02:09 PM

I’m going to go again in a couple weeks, Pennsylvania, and do the VIP experience to get some swag and meet them again.

Obi-Wanma 10-14-18 05:33 PM

When the tour was first announced, weren't they supposed to be riffing Deathstalker and not Deathstalker II? I'm sure that's what I saw. Did something happen with that?

majorjoe23 10-15-18 10:33 AM

After editing out the nudity/rape, it was only about 50 minutes long and didn't make sense, so they decided to go with the less rapey Deathstalker II.

Jay G. 10-15-18 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 (Post 13425915)
After editing out the nudity/rape, it was only about 50 minutes long and didn't make sense, so they decided to go with the less rapey Deathstalker II.

You think they'd check that before announcing the lineup. Did they learn nothing from The Side Hackers?

majorjoe23 10-15-18 09:34 PM

You would think, but I assume Shout told Joel they could get the rights and Joel assumed that since Deathstalker III was fine for MST3K that the first movie would be too.

Jay G. 10-15-18 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 (Post 13426424)
You would think, but I assume Shout told Joel they could get the rights and Joel assumed that since Deathstalker III was fine for MST3K that the first movie would be too.

I found Joel's Facebook post explaining the change, and apparently he actually screened Deathstalker first before announcing it, but didn't realize the cuts would be so drastic.

https://www.facebook.com/story.php?s...66365283410874

I screened the film and was not surprised that it had a bit of a “Cinemax feel” to it, meaning there was lots of nudity and some screen violence throughout that just doesn’t lend itself to comedy, and it was from the early eighties.

Going into this, I knew we’d have to edit those elements out anyway, and as far as that goes, this wouldn’t be our first rodeo. If you remember, this goes as far back as season two of MST3K, when we had to edit out some very graphic scenes from the movie, The Sidehackers.

Like I said, we felt we needed to announce a title when tickets first went up for sale and I knew that we could probably edit out the offending parts and end up with a goofy fantasy-adventure with a brooding hero and latex monsters made in Argentina.....

Once we finally returned from Los Angeles, after principal photography wrapped and we locked the directors’ cuts, we were able to edit the offending scenes out of Deathstalker and, guess what? The total running time ended up being only 53 minutes! Most of those 53 minutes were people either running, sword fighting, or riding horses and not much of a narrative thread.

Jay G. 11-07-18 08:37 PM

Turkey Day Marathon is on Sunday, November 18 this year:
https://news.avclub.com/mystery-scie...-ar-1830286526

majorjoe23 11-12-18 12:23 PM

The trailer for season 12 is up. Spoiler alert, it reveals all 6 movie titles:

I'm not sure why it screws up when I try to embed it:

majorjoe23 11-22-18 09:53 AM

Season 12 is live. I was still up at 2 am when it went live, so I checked out the first few minutes. It’s good so far.

dhmac 11-27-18 09:42 AM

I'm only 2 episodes into Season 12, so quick impressions...

Mac and Me - Wow, great episode. I'd heard of the movie before and that it was terrible, but never saw it until now. Mac and Me is a bad E.T. ripoff, but not Pod People level bad. I thought the riffing was great and predict this one will become a MiSTie favorite.

Atlantic Rim - Ughh. I'm not a fan of when MST3K picks intentionally bad movies and this episode shows why. The movie is deliberately trying to be bad which takes the fun out of it for me - bad movies are so much more entertaining when the filmmakers are at least trying to make a good movie but failing at it. And the riffing in this, while solid, didn't help enough. With only 6 episodes in the season, it's a shame that they wasted one on this movie.

(As I find time to watch more episodes in the new season, I'll post my impressions of those afterwards too.)

Jay G. 11-29-18 01:38 PM

RiffTrax Live: MST3K Reunion is on Prime Streaming now:

Pretty much every past MST3K cast member appears on this one, so good watching even if you don't normally watch Rifftrax.

Also, RiffTrax Live: Summer Shorts Beach Party

Another mini-reunion, as it has Bridget Nelson, Mary Jo Pehl, Frank Conniff, and Trace Beaulieu, plus also features Paul F. Tompkins.

milo bloom 12-03-18 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by dhmac (Post 13451137)
I'm only 2 episodes into Season 12, so quick impressions...

Mac and Me - Wow, great episode. I'd heard of the movie before and that it was terrible, but never saw it until now. Mac and Me is a bad E.T. ripoff, but not Pod People level bad. I thought the riffing was great and predict this one will become a MiSTie favorite.

Atlantic Rim - Ughh. I'm not a fan of when MST3K picks intentionally bad movies and this episode shows why. The movie is deliberately trying to be bad which takes the fun out of it for me - bad movies are so much more entertaining when the filmmakers are at least trying to make a good movie but failing at it. And the riffing in this, while solid, didn't help enough. With only 6 episodes in the season, it's a shame that they wasted one on this movie.

(As I find time to watch more episodes in the new season, I'll post my impressions of those afterwards too.)

Spot on, for both eps. Mac & Me nearly made the three of us choke from laughing but Atlantic Rim was just pedestrian. I agree that they shouldn't have wasted a spot on that kind of movie.

But Felicia Day was on fire for both eps. The first season she was fun, but still felt restrained. Here, she was simultaneously chewing the hell out of the scenery and making out with the camera. I could watch her fold socks and still be entertained.

dhmac 12-10-18 04:49 PM

My brief review of the rest of Season 12...

Lords of the Deep Wow, I really enjoyed this episode. The riffing was very good starting off but what then knocked it out of the park for me was the psychedelic song "Trippy Blob" complete with sitar. Perfect! After that, I was hooked into the rest of the episode. And the end of the final host segment with the creature handler recaptured the feel of the original Mad end segments with Dr. Forrester and TV's Frank for me.

The Day Time Ended This was a good episode. I like these '70s-era movies in whatever threat there is supposed to be doesn't seem at all scary, given the effects at the time (although I was impressed - and surprised - by the stop-motion effects that showed up). The riffing was good and seeing Dr. Erhardt again was great. I've met most of the MST3K crew over the years and they are all very nice, but J. Elvis Weinstein was unexpectingly much more outgoing than the others so it was nice to see him again on the show.

Killer Fish Watching this movie was deja vu all over again. While it was playing, I kept recalling what was going to happen next in the movie. I probably saw this on cable back in the early '80s and just forgot about it, but seeing it again reminded me of everything I forgot. The overweight guy on the raft was a particular memory in which I soon recalled him falling off and getting gruesomely consumed before it happened in the movie. This was the time of many "animals attacking people" movies made in the wake of "Jaws" and this was one of the more middling examples of those ripoffs. I also like the "Idiot Control Now/Hideous Control Now" song returning to the show - that song and the made-up guess at the lyrics still cracks me up.

Ator The Fighting Eagle The first Ator movie finally gets riffed and shows that it sucked before "Cave Dwellers" (or whatever was its original title) ever was made. Well, it was worth the wait because I loved this episode. Just perfect MST3K fodder and the riffing was great. And as the season finale (which may or may not be the series finale), I liked how this ended much better than how Season 11 ended with the overly-long and anti-climactic wedding skit.

Season 12 was shorter than I would have liked and that is a good thing, leaving me wanting more with only one episode rating below par. The new cast seems to getting into a groove more than they did in Season 11 and I really hope there is more. Please, like that old KTMA voicemail that only said "More! More! More!", I want exactly that.

story 12-10-18 05:09 PM

I showed my 4- and 7-year old daughters the Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders episode yesterday afternoon because I wanted to watch MST3K and tried to think of one they could actually follow as a movie to some extent and they really liked it. The movie, not the riffs. It. Was. Weird.

milo bloom 12-10-18 09:21 PM

Lords of the Deep was a much better showing than Atlantic. There were some bits that had me choking on my drink. And Felicia Day continues to entertain with her unbridled goofiness.

majorjoe23 12-13-18 12:22 PM

Shout just announced a re-issue of Vol. 10.2 on March 19:

The Giant Gila Monster

Swamp Diamonds

Teen-Age Strangler

The Giant Spider Invasion

milo bloom 01-25-19 08:59 PM

Killer FIsh was a lot of fun, of all people, it was so bizarre watching Lee Majors out-acting every single person in the entire film.

Ator was a little soft, but still fun and I can't wait to see if they'll follow up on that ending with Kinga and Max.