DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Official MST3K / Rifftrax / Cinematic Titanic DVD Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-13, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Official MST3K / Rifftrax / Cinematic Titanic DVD Thread

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Thanks. Of course, because of the vacation, I won't be around to post the new deal of the day next week.
I'll fill in.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargain...mber-25th.html
Old 11-14-13, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Got my 25th anniversary tin in this evening. There's no box in the tin just the four cases and the mini-posters. Mitchell and The Brain That Wouldn't Die are in the same slim case as Gorgo and share a disc. I put my tins away and shelve the boxes, so this harshes my groove. Maybe they'll offer a empt box somewhere down the line.

My box also had eight Mystery Science Theater 3000 foam balls for packing. One of them looks good sitting in front of my Tom, Crow and Gypsy figures.
Old 11-14-13, 08:19 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
Got my 25th anniversary tin in this evening. There's no box in the tin just the four cases and the mini-posters. Mitchell and The Brain That Wouldn't Die are in the same slim case as Gorgo and share a disc. I put my tins away and shelve the boxes, so this harshes my groove. Maybe they'll offer a empt box somewhere down the line.

My box also had eight Mystery Science Theater 3000 foam balls for packing. One of them looks good sitting in front of my Tom, Crow and Gypsy figures.
And here I thought I was special with the free balls. And yes, the no inner box messes up my OCD something awful.
Old 11-18-13, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

The MST3K Turkey Day Marathon is back and will be online, hosted by Joel!

http://www.mst3kturkeyday.com/

They're taking episode requests, but since this seems to be a Shout Factory-backed thing, I'm assuming only ones they have the rights to are in play.
Old 11-18-13, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by DJLinus
The MST3K Turkey Day Marathon is back and will be online, hosted by Joel!

http://www.mst3kturkeyday.com/

They're taking episode requests, but since this seems to be a Shout Factory-backed thing, I'm assuming only ones they have the rights to are in play.
So if it does cover just the shows they've published, that means there's roughly 60-70 episodes (probably near the mid-sixties) to choose from. I had been considering re-creating one of the Turkey Day marathons as closely as I could, but this works too.
Old 11-27-13, 08:14 AM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Next set announced:

http://www.mst3kinfo.com/?p=16577

112- UNTAMED YOUTH
412- HERCULES AND THE CAPTIVE WOMEN
805- THE THING THAT COULDN’T DIE
903- THE PUMAMAN

Yeah, Pumaman!
Old 11-27-13, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 972 Likes on 685 Posts

Woah! Pumaman! I never expected to see that one. I know Shout had been trying to track that one down for years, but apparently they couldn't determine who actually had the rights. I'm so glad they finally figured it out. Despite being a bigger fan of the Comedy Central era, this is the one I usually use to introduce people to MST3K. I'm way behind on my Shout boxsets, but I'll definitely grab this one when it comes out.
Old 11-28-13, 09:04 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't be the only one that wishes they'd put out individual episodes or at least Joel only sets so they can be avoided and Mike only sets so you can enjoy the show....
Old 11-29-13, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
I can't be the only one that wishes they'd put out individual episodes or at least Joel only sets so they can be avoided and Mike only sets so you can enjoy the show....
Agree on individual releases, but only so it would be easier to pick them up budget wise as opposed to saving up for the box sets. Well, also so I could put them in broadcast order on my shelf.
Old 11-29-13, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
I'm pretty sure that there are plenty of other people like you, and I'm sure that Rhino and Shout understand that, which is why each release is a mix, so that MST3K fans are less likely to skip a particular release. They want as many fans as possible to buy each release, so that it can fund the next one.

If they released sets dedicated to one host, they'd lose the portion that doesn't particularly like that host, meaning smaller sales overall for those releases.

Likewise, if they released individual episodes more often, people would skip the episodes they don't like, meaning that the sales for them would be even lower, especially if it's not a particularly popular episode. The first season episodes might never have seen the light of day if it was released this way, since the potential number of sales on one of those episodes likely wouldn't have justified the licensing cost.
Old 12-05-13, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

You know I used to feel that way about Mike too seeing as I got into MST3K while Joel was still on the show. Then I watched some of them during thr marathon this year and they're really good, just different. ROWSDOWER!
Old 12-19-13, 08:18 AM

Recently, I just missed out on picking up a DVD Cinematic Titanic's Alien Factor on eBay that was listed rather pricey . . . only to have it finally relisted on Amazon! I suppose the Mads taketh away but sometimes they giveth too

I'm a longtime fan of MST3k, but I only recently got into Cinematic Titanic after being somewhat disappointed with Rifftrax; as much as I like what Mike and company are doing, especially the shorts, Joel's "old school" crew seems to better capture the spirit and tone of classic MST3k.

On the Joel vs Mike front, I was profoundly in the Joel camp until, in arch MST3k style, a friend loaned me a VHS of Jack Frost.
Old 12-19-13, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find that RiffTrax tends to be much more mean-spirited in their jokes, so I prefer CT, too. They wrapped things up this year without a final show in Chicago, so I flew out to San Francisco last month to catch the double bill they performed there. It was totally worth the trip.

The CT live discs are much better than the studio offerings. They feel more organic and free-flowing, whereas in the canned versions it seems less like riffing and more like everyone waiting their turn to say lines.
Old 12-19-13, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I find the Rifftrax tries too hard to be "topical" sometimes and they'll make jokes about "current" stars etc that come off like Dad jokes.
Old 12-19-13, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Preterite
I find that RiffTrax tends to be much more mean-spirited in their jokes, so I prefer CT, too.
Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
I find the Rifftrax tries too hard to be "topical" sometimes and they'll make jokes about "current" stars etc that come off like Dad jokes.
Agreed on both counts; there's an aggressive, angry tone to a lot of the Rifftrax work as opposed to the sly, wittier tone of my favorite MST3k/CT work. That's not to say they couldn't get punchy at time (see: Joe Don Baker) but generally they never lost the goofier, "hey, it's all in good fun" vibe.

The CT live discs are much better than the studio offerings. They feel more organic and free-flowing, whereas in the canned versions it seems less like riffing and more like everyone waiting their turn to say lines.
I agree the live discs really have an extra energy about them, although a lot of great lines get lost in the audience laughter, flubbing, the rush due to a missed cue, etc. It's nice to have both experiences to go to: the studio discs for a crisper delivery and the live versions for a wilder ride.
Old 12-19-13, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 972 Likes on 685 Posts

I find that RiffTrax tends to be much more mean-spirited in their jokes, so I prefer CT, too.
That was always the difference between the Joel and Mike eras. I've always preferred the Joel approach, but I overwhelmingly prefer Kevin Murphy to Josh Weinstein. The presence of Murphy alone validates RiffTrax in my mind. Oh, and the RiffTrax Cool As Ice is one of my favorite things produced by any iteration of the MST3K gang.
Old 01-11-14, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

FYI, Rifftrax - Ghosthouse is being released on DVD 1/28/14. Places have it for preorder.
Old 01-12-14, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Also, Rifftrax has announced their next riff: The Wizard of Oz. That should be good. While the obscure VOD stuff is lots of fun, I miss when they used to put out a steady stream of mainstream movie riffs to download.
Old 01-12-14, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DJLinus
I miss when they used to put out a steady stream of mainstream movie riffs to download.
Same here, for the most part I lost interest in Rifftrax once they focused on VOD. I think the last MP3 Riff I bought was Rise of the Planet of the Apes. The few mainstream riffs they've done lately are for franchises like Twilight, Hunger Games & Harry Potter, which I really have no interest in. I miss the days when they did MP3 riffs of more oddball titles like Karate Kid III and The Island of Dr Moreau.

I wish they'd release more of their VOD riffs as cheap retail DVDs like they did with The Crater Lake Monster and now Ghosthouse. Ordering directly from Rifftrax.com is too expensive for a blind buy, IMO.
Old 01-13-14, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm usually good about getting the MST3K sets, but I completely forgot about the 25th Anniversary set being released, and most places seem to be out of stock on it. Is Shout Factory just letting it go out of print already or what?
Old 01-13-14, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by manicsounds
I'm usually good about getting the MST3K sets, but I completely forgot about the 25th Anniversary set being released, and most places seem to be out of stock on it. Is Shout Factory just letting it go out of print already or what?
The Limited Edition Tin is OOP, but there's a non-tin Standard Edition available on Shout Factory's site:
http://www.shoutfactory.com/product/...ition-standard

The same thing happened with the 20th Anniversary Set. It might take online retailers a while to list the Standard Edition Set.
Old 01-13-14, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A few retailers started carrying the 25th Anniversary Standard edition. Not many so far, no competitive pricing. BN.com has it. FYI, the UPC for the Standard set is 826663148916.
Old 01-14-14, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, I ordered it from DVDPacific, even though it said it was "backordered", but 2 days later, it shipped. Nice.
Old 01-26-14, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received the 25th Anniversary set, unfortunately it was the version without the tin. It came in the usual 4 thinpak cases, and luckily the bonus 5th disc is part of the package. I can live without the special deluxe packaging. I missed out on the Crow robot as well from a few years back.
Old 01-27-14, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't think it's been mentioned here yet, but in case anyone missed it the blu-ray edition of "The Heat" includes a MST3K commentary by Joel, Josh, and Trace, the original 3.

The commentary is occasionally hilarious, but you can tell it wasn't a scripted episode, so parts of it fall flat. They sometimes laugh at each other, and at the jokes in the movie as well.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.