DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Official MST3K / Rifftrax / Cinematic Titanic DVD Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-12, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts
Re: Official MST3K / Rifftrax / Cinematic Titanic DVD Thread

Originally Posted by starman9000
Are you under the impression that these are popular?
Um, yes?

They get fairly frequent mentions, and not just here but on various places around the interwebs that I visit and they apparently sell well enough for the people doing them to keep on doing them so I would think that they are popular.

Look, I don't begrudge people doing something they like for a job, I was just curious if there was anybody else like me whose love for MST3K isn't solely based on the concept of riffing on movies, but also the whole concept of the guy with robot puppets on a space station dealing with cut-rate mad-scientists.
Old 03-28-12, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Am I the only person that cares not one whit for Rifftrax or Cinematic Titanic? I have every commercially released title (even the Godzilla vs. Megalon box) (and the box that just came out, haven't ordered that yet) but I have absolutely zero interest in these other projects.

Maybe it's the lack of puppets, I've always graded anything with puppets on a curve, so perhaps that clouds my judgement, but Living Deadpan's analogy regarding redoing a MST'd movie to a solo artist doing their former band's work just seems to apply to the whole thing.
Have you ever watched Puppets Who Kill?
Old 03-28-12, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Um, yes?

They get fairly frequent mentions, and not just here but on various places around the interwebs that I visit and they apparently sell well enough for the people doing them to keep on doing them so I would think that they are popular.
You're right that they're popular enough for them to continue, but I don't think either of them, or possibly both combined, are as popular as MTS3K still is. I'm guessing that the MST3K sets still sell more than the Rifftrax or CT discs do.

Also, the internet has an ability to be an echo chamber. You likely frequent sites that cater to an audience that would like these releases. Of course, MST3K sites and sites with MST3K news are also going to talk about these ventures.

As for them being akin to "a solo artist doing their former band's work," that may or may not apply to redoing a MST3K movie, but I don't think it applies to them overall. It's more akin to a solo artist's original work, Like Paul McCartney in Wings or solo after the Beatles.

FWIW, I haven't bought any CT DVDs yet. I own a Rifftrax Shorts DVD, and bought a few audio tracks to play over existing DVDs I owned. Then again, I don't own all the MST3K sets either.
Old 03-28-12, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't want to come across as looking down at the cast and crew for doing those projects or at anybody that enjoys them, I was simply curious to know if there were others like me that were simply indifferent to the other projects.
Old 03-28-12, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't want to come across as looking down at the cast and crew for doing those projects or at anybody that enjoys them, I was simply curious to know if there were others like me that were simply indifferent to the other projects.
Have you experienced any of them?

For me, MST3K's "concept of the guy with robot puppets on a space station dealing with cut-rate mad-scientists" wasn't the big draw to me. That was just the framework, and while it was a solid one that led to funny sketches and such, the premise itself wasn't the draw, it was the writing and the performances and the more basic concept of making fun of bad movies.

Let's say that either the CT or Rifftrax team announced tomorrow that they got the rights to MST3K, and would be creating new MST3K titles, would those interest you?
Old 03-28-12, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Diehard MST3K fan since '93. I've enjoyed the show's different successors (Film Crew, Rifftrax, Cinematic Titanic) to varying degrees.

I've liked CT the best because - and I know this makes me biased, but whatever - I've seen them perform live three times (I also attended the "live screening" of Rifftrax's Plan 9).

Do I need puppets? Nah. Just as long as they're funny.
Old 03-28-12, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone have the last MST DVD set ship from Amazon yet? I ordered it December 8th, first day I saw it available for preorder. I was kind of hoping to have it sometime during the week it comes out, but it won't ship until later tonight or tomorrow, so I'm looking at having it probably next Tuesday or Wednesday. Really annoying. I get that maybe they can't really ship it out the Friday or Monday before, but would it kill them to at least send it out the day it comes out? I ordered it way early, it's In Stock, what is the hold up here?
Old 03-28-12, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Have you experienced any of them?

I've looked at some of the samples they put online, and they just didn't grab me. Maybe it is the puppets for me; that and I sometimes actually half-enjoy the movies the being riffed. Having jumpsuit and the bots riffing just makes it go down a little easier, like watching it with friends.

Let's say that either the CT or Rifftrax team announced tomorrow that they got the rights to MST3K, and would be creating new MST3K titles, would those interest you?
With puppets and cut-rate mad scientists? Absolutely.
Old 03-29-12, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my set yesterday from Amazon, I also pre-ordered it on day one.

I have to say I do miss the sketches from MST3K when I watch Rifftrax or CT. The film crew sketches were terrible though, something about them just was off putting. Rifftrax is best on the shorts, but I actually think that's probably because I'd enjoy the shorts even without the riffing.
Old 03-29-12, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I got my Amazon set yesterday as well, but I only ordered a few weeks ago.

I've been watching Rifftrax since the beginning, and at first I kind of pretended it was the MST3K characters doing the riffing. I was tempted to even put the little silhouette decal on my TV once or twice.

Eventually I learned to just relax and enjoy the humor, whether it was delivered by puppets or portly, pasty Midwesterners.
Old 04-01-12, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We used my wife's Amazon Prime account to order this Friday night, 2 day shipping. They actually delivered it today, on a Sunday! It was some third party guy in a rented truck, he must deliver all manner of items cause he had on a back support belt for lifting items.

....and I'm at work because it's the beginning of the fiscal new year
Old 04-02-12, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, if you want to know my Rifftrax arc:

Before 2009 - Unaware, then indifferent, then started watching Youtube clips I enjoyed.
Early 2009 - Bought my first few Rifftrax. My enjoyment was equally due to my love of audio commentaries as it was to do with MST3K. Actually, split that into thirds: The 3rd element at the beginning was that I had a specific interest in seeing these particular films riffed. (1.) The Dark Knight, because that was a time when the mob rule was "Anyone who gives TDK less than 4 stars gets death threats." Seeing as I only gave the film 3 stars, I found their irreverence quite refreshing. 2.) The Happening - That film was tailor made for riffing.) Also, I had always loved those MST3K specials where they riffed on clips from summer blockbusters & Oscar bait. Remember when Tom Servo says, as the captain of the Titanic: "I'm gonna sink this bitch!" I found Rifftrax an intriguing outgrowth of this planted seed.
The Present - I've grown weary of Rifftrax. I don't like the choices of their mainstream films anymore, and I don't think their VODs are worth $10. And this whole Manos Redux issue just took my already conflicting feelings and soured me into taking a long hiatus.

I still enjoy some of their older Rifftrax, and if you were to give 1 Rifftrax a shot I would heartily recommend The Happening. Most Rifftrax fans have their own favorites & least favorites, but the riffs for The Happening & The Matrix series seem to be pretty universally enjoyed. My other personal favorites include The Dark Knight and The Island of Dr Moreau, but those are much more controversial. Even the Battlefield Earth riff is controversial, it's almost like the Manos or Monster-A-Go-Go equivalent of Rifftrax. Some people love them tackling such a shit movie, others find the movie to be a black hole of shit that's unbearable even with the riffing company (that's personally how I feel about Transformers 2 & 3).

I didn't realize how popular Rifftrax was until I went to see a Rifftrax Live at the theater. Up until then I mainly just posted to the Rifftrax Forum & ran into the occasional odd MST3K fan at a record store. It was actually rather alienating to see how normal this Rifftrax audience was, everyone showed up with their Rifftrax-loving friends, I was just this weirdo dressed in black who showed up by himself, and no one wanted to chat outside of the people they arrived with.
Old 04-02-12, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think I could ever do a meetup or anything. I've only ever been to one Star Trek convention, and I never really felt comfortable the whole time. I would have been just as happy watching the guests speak on a youtube video or something.

Thanks for your thoughts Living Deadpan.
Old 04-02-12, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think I could ever do a meetup or anything. I've only ever been to one Star Trek convention, and I never really felt comfortable the whole time. I would have been just as happy watching the guests speak on a youtube video or something.
Rifftrax used to do live streams before they started the theatrical screenings:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/47...ml#post9201633
Old 04-02-12, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Tommy Bunz
Just a heads up for people who missed out on the long OOP 20th Anniversary tin with the Crow figurine, apparently Shout Factory found a box of them in storage and are selling them on the website again. $60 and comes with a disclaimer "Shout! Factory endeavors to ship pristine tins to every customer. Since these tins are from the last box recovered from being lost in storage, some of these boxes may have a bit of torn shrink wrap or a mark on the barcode, and as such are being sold as is."
Just got shipping notice on my order.

They also still have Vol. XVI with the Tom Servo figurine for sale on their website as well.
They were still taking orders on this Saturday, when I placed an order for me. They've taken their payment from my PayPal already, so hopefully I'll be getting this soon...
Old 04-03-12, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was shocked this morning when I was listening to my local Oldies radio station and they had an ad for the new box set. Are "Oldies" station listeners the right demographic for this? If so I feel pretty old.
Old 04-03-12, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
I was shocked this morning when I was listening to my local Oldies radio station and they had an ad for the new box set. Are "Oldies" station listeners the right demographic for this? If so I feel pretty old.
I would have responded sooner but I was listening to Peter Frampton, Jimi Hendrix and Simple Minds on the local classic rock station.
Old 04-03-12, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
Well if you're listening to an "oldies" station and you're in this thread now...
Old 04-04-12, 12:20 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I've heard that radio stations consider 80s music to be "oldies" now.
Old 04-04-12, 12:49 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Trout
I do agree with this to a point. I like the Mike episodes better, but the Joel ones do have a different style of humor that you have to get used to. As for Joel being emotionless, I always thought he was stoned.
In the documentary on the 20th Anniversary box set, they state that there was no drinking/drugs -- Except one occasion they got drunk and realized it was a big mistake.

Uh, unless you're referring to Joel's "character"...

I've always thought Mike was the funnier of the two as well. In all fairness, I started watching the show after Mike's arrival on Comedy Central, so there isn't exactly any yearning for the Joel years here.
Old 04-04-12, 12:59 PM
En vacance

Joel is the better host... in time you will all realize this when viewing both hosts' eras in regularity by soaking in all of the re-/releases. And this is coming from someone who started watching during the Mike Scifi years, and then buying all of his comedy central eras, then viewing Catalina Caper, a really early season episode with Joel which seemed a total difference altogether from the razorsharpness of the latter years. Anywho my favorite is Trace who's even greater than both hosts!!
Old 04-04-12, 02:26 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

While I think Mike is hilarious and a great host, I'll always much prefer Joel, if only for a selfish reason. He was the photographer for my profile pic!
Old 04-04-12, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by walletboyniac
In the documentary on the 20th Anniversary box set, they state that there was no drinking/drugs -- Except one occasion they got drunk and realized it was a big mistake.
To be honest, the whole "stoner" look is just a carryover from his stand-up days.

Joel or Mike? I'm grateful for both.
Old 04-06-12, 02:50 AM
En vacance

Originally Posted by Trevor
While I think Mike is hilarious and a great host, I'll always much prefer Joel, if only for a selfish reason. He was the photographer for my profile pic!
You saw Joel with your own eyeballs? No way, nuh huh, nooooo. I hate you!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-12-12, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Extras for Volume XXIV:

Introductions by Japanese cinema historian August Ragone
You Asked For It: Sandy Frank Speaks!
MST Hour Wraps
Life After MST3K: Frank Conniff
MST3K Shorts: Snow Thrills & A Date With Your Family
Lucha Gringo: K. Gordon Murray Meets Santo
Four exclusive Mini-Posters by artist Steve Vance

(Taken from: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/releases...#ixzz1rsO5NSbX)

Sandy Frank interview. Did not expect that to happen any time, but there it is!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.