DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   JUSTICE LEAGUE: CRISIS ON TWO EARTHS - Spring 2010 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/561502-justice-league-crisis-two-earths-spring-2010-a.html)

The Valeyard 09-15-09 12:12 PM

JUSTICE LEAGUE: CRISIS ON TWO EARTHS - Spring 2010

From Ain't It Cool:

Hey folks, Harry here with the latest on Warner's direct to DVD animated feature films. On the upcoming SUPERMAN/BATMAN: PUBLIC ENEMIES - we have the awesome news that the next animated film is going to be "Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths" - how awesome is that? We get an animated Crisis story? Bring it on! Can't wait till the films catch up to the killer story arcs that the animated adaptations are boldly giving us. Here's two official shots and the synopsis! Can't wait!
Spoiled for size:

Warner Home Video will distribute in Spring 2010 (finalizing date soon)

An original story from award-winning animation/comics writer Dwayne
McDuffie (Justice League) rooted in DC Comics’ popular canon of
“Crisis” stories.

Bruce Timm (Superman Doomsday, Green Lantern) is executive producer.
Lauren Montgomery (Wonder Woman, Green Lantern) and Sam Liu
(Superman/Batman: Public Enemies) are co-directors.

In Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths, a “good” Lex Luthor arrives
from an alternate universe to recruit the Justice League to help save
his Earth from the Crime Syndicate, a gang of villainous characters
with virtually identical super powers to the Justice League. What
ensues is the ultimate battle of good versus evil in a war that
threatens both planets and, through a diabolical plan launched by
Owlman, puts the balance of all existence in peril.

All-star voice cast led by Mark Harmon (NCIS) as Superman, James Woods
(Ghosts of Mississippi) as Owlman, Chris Noth (Sex and the City, Law &
Order) as Lex Luthor, William Baldwin (Dirty Sexy Money) as Batman,
Gina Torres (Serenity, Firefly) as Super Woman and Bruce Davison
(X-Men) as the President.

Attached are a few images ... one is of Owlman and the other is of
the Justice League arriving for battle along with the "good" Lex
Luthor.

MrSmearkase 09-15-09 12:16 PM

Re: JUSTICE LEAGUE: CRISIS ON TWO EARTHS - Spring 2010

Count me in!

Superman07 09-15-09 12:23 PM

Come on - why couldn't they just wait and get Brown, Daly and Conroy again? They really do not have consistency in their releases. :(

MBoyd 09-15-09 12:35 PM

I wasn't fond of Green Lantern, but I am all for more DC animated.

Just wish it was more like the original Crisis on Infinite Earths with the Golden Age characters.

dkedvd 09-15-09 01:09 PM

nice!

Jedi Master 33 09-15-09 01:15 PM

I can't wait for this. New Fronteir is probably my favorite of the DC animated movies.

dx23 09-15-09 01:18 PM

I like the concept, although it has been done already in Batman Brave and the Bold and touched a little on Justice League season 2. Why can't they bring back the people who worked in JLU and incorporate the story to the series. I really don't care about this so-called All-star cast. I care about the characters sounding good and Conroy is the best Batman there is.

EvlAsh 09-15-09 01:36 PM

SWEET!

Bummer about the JLU cast not being used, though.

WillDLeeEsq 09-15-09 01:39 PM

Yeah...I was hoping the rumors of this being a continuation of JLU were true. Still sounds cool though.

OldBoy 09-15-09 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Superman07 (Post 9710384)
Come on - why couldn't they just wait and get Brown, Daly and Conroy again? They really do not have consistency in their releases. :(

though the cast is stellar, i would have liked the originals to have reprised, especially Daly and Brown.

JJay 09-15-09 02:59 PM

I've got them all so far so why not? Superman Doomsday and Wonder Woman weren't spectacular, but I'm a completest.

Dr. Forrester 09-15-09 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by WillDLeeEsq (Post 9710555)
Yeah...I was hoping the rumors of this being a continuation of JLU were true.

I didn't know anything about this release until I saw the title of the thread, and I thought the same thing. It's honestly a bit disappointing considering how great some of the JLU eps were that were part of the "Justice Lords" story arc were.

Ah well, I'll definitely give it a rent as I've at least casually enjoyed the other DC animated releases I've seen.

Solid Snake 09-15-09 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598 (Post 9710679)
though the cast is stellar, i would have liked the originals to have reprised, especially Daly and Brown.

You mean Conroy too, no? Conroy totally owns all the voice actors for the JL. Loved hearing him and Hamil reprise their roles as Batman and The Joker, not too mention the voice actors for The Riddler, Harley Quinn, and Bane (I think Bane's voice actor was the same as the cartoon). Adding on that Batman: Arkham Asylum is a badass game. Totally gives you everything you could want out the character's universe. I was really pleased by it.

Superman07 09-15-09 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC (Post 9710991)
You mean Conroy too, no? Conroy totally owns all the voice actors for the JL. Loved hearing him and Hamil reprise their roles as Batman and The Joker, not too mention the voice actors for The Riddler, Harley Quinn, and Bane (I think Bane's voice actor was the same as the cartoon). Adding on that Batman: Arkham Asylum is a badass game. Totally gives you everything you could want out the character's universe. I was really pleased by it.

I downloaded the demo and enjoyed it a lot. It will sooner or later make it to my Gamefly queue. Also, my friend said he usually sends games back once he beats them, but with AA he's taking his time to run through everything and find all of the hidden secrets.

Those pictures that Valeyard posted suggest they've at least started work on the final product rather than concept art.

Does anybody else find it odd that all of these direct to video releases have had different animation styles too? I suppose it's intentional. <shrug>

VinceA 09-16-09 06:51 AM

Started getting these with Wonder Woman (I'll get the earlier ones in the next DDD sale) so I'll be picking this one up. Interesting voice cast, curious that they didn't get the original voices since they're back for the Batman/Superman disc coming out in a few weeks.

Lastdaysofrain 09-16-09 07:16 AM

Sounds interesting, but I'm wondering why they don't just do another season of JLU as well. I'd much rather see that.

I enjoyed Green Lantern (it was probably second best to the Wonder Woman movie), so these seem pretty consistently enjoyable.

Rocketdog2000 09-16-09 04:06 PM

I'm totally down with this, as I've always been a huge fan the Crime Syndicate.

The storyline, however, sounds straight from the 2000 graphic novel JLA : Earth 2, written by Grant Morrison and drawn by Frank Quietly. In the post Crisis on Infinite Earths DC universe, this was the re-introduction of the former Earth-3 characters.

Spoiler:
Maybe Owlman's appearance in that Batman : Brave & The Bold two-parter generated enough interest to do this storyline?

dvd-4-life 09-16-09 04:27 PM

I would like to see a SuperFriends movie called-Legion of Doom Rules.

toddly6666 09-16-09 05:16 PM

If DC knew that these 90-minute animated films were going to be this successful before the existence of the Justice League cartoon, do you think they would have done the Justice League cartoon? Which makes more money - the DC cartoons or the movies?

RKillgore 09-17-09 10:46 AM

This is a peripherally related comment, but this reminds me of Justice League episodes with the Justice Lords (A Better World, parts 1 & 2). One of the greatest things about that episode and one of the highlights of the whole series was the heroes going to Arkham Asylum, encountering a mentally "altered" Joker and he's voiced by Mark Hamill's normal voice.

STC 09-18-09 05:00 PM

Thats the point of the these movies - to be seperated from the DCAU. We all love Daly, Conroy, and Brown (and you'll be hearing them in Public Enemies), but I'm glad they're using different voice actors for each movie.

hanshotfirst1138 09-18-09 09:09 PM

As far as I'm concerned, Kevin Conroy IS Batman.

kstublen 09-18-09 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113 (Post 9717824)
As far as I'm concerned, Kevin Conroy IS Batman.

Same here. No one else can hold a torch to that man.

Solid Snake 09-18-09 11:22 PM

Yeah...great voice acting. Again..get Batman: Arkham Asylum...it's badass. It's like a grittier version of the cartoon also..it's written by Paul Dini.

dx23 09-19-09 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by toddly6666 (Post 9713291)
If DC knew that these 90-minute animated films were going to be this successful before the existence of the Justice League cartoon, do you think they would have done the Justice League cartoon? Which makes more money - the DC cartoons or the movies?

What makes more money is highly debatable, because cartoons make money from ads and merchandising, while movies make money from box office and media sales.

The problem I have with these movies is the same one I have with comic books today: Inconsistency. How do you expect a 4-10 year old to follow something when DC and WB are so inconsistent in the way the characters look, behave, sound and the storylines contradict each other movie after movie and they differ greatly from the cartoons? You know why the TMNT are so succesful> Because the formula still the same. 4 turtles and a rat with the same look. Villains with the same look for the past 20 years. Characters portrayed mostly the same way.

Why couldn't DC comics incorporate these storylines to the DCAU? Why do they feel the need to get this "star-studded" cast? Some producers still don't understand that we don't care who voices the actors as long as they do it right. Kevin Conroy is fucking Batman. If the people at DC and WB kept things consistent, like they did in the DCAU, then they would have better sales and more following that could translate in kids picking up comic books to know more about the characters they watch on TV.