Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Criterion and IFC announce further titles: Nolan's Following, Cuaron's Tambien, more.

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Criterion and IFC announce further titles: Nolan's Following, Cuaron's Tambien, more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-09, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.screendaily.com/news/ifc-...e?referrer=RSS

IFC Films has signed a deal with The Criterion Collection licensing the prestige DVD label sell-through home entertainment rights for select IFC titles.

Under the terms of the deal, Criterion acquires the rights to distribute select IFC Films’ titles on DVD in the US and will release sell-through special editions of each film.

The partners have already lined up three films from Cannes 2008 – Arnaud Desplechin’s A Christmas Tale on November 10, Matteo Garrone Gomorrah on November 24, and Steven Soderbergh’s Che.

Upcoming 2010 releases include Jan Troell’s 2008 Golden Globe nominee Everlasting Moments, Olivier Assayas’ 2009 hit Summer Hours, Steve McQueen’s Hunger (pictured), Hirokazu Kore-Eda’s Still Walking, and Abdellatif Kechiche’s Cesar Award winner The Secret Of The Grain.

Criterion will also release special editions of films from IFC Films’ library including Alfonso Cuaron’s Y Tu Mama Tambien, and Christopher Nolan’s Following.

“From the inception of IFC Films, we modelled our acquisition strategy on Criterion’s but with the intent on focusing on the auteurs of today,” IFC Films president Jonathan Sehring said. “It’s a great honour and thrill for us to embark on this partnership with them. They are the golden seal of approval.”

Criterion’s Peter Becker added: “IFC Films has been on an incredible roll, hunting down daring international films and spotting film-makers whose work will stand the test of time. Criterion has always presented a mix of international classics and director-approved editions of important contemporary films, so this new slate of releases fits our mission perfectly.”
I know the film seems to be a point of contention between people but I'm wondering who currently owns the rights to Me and You and Everyone We Know, which Miranda July stated she wanted to do a better DVD of on her blog years ago, and was released by IFC.

Last edited by tylergfoster; 09-01-09 at 10:49 PM.
Old 09-01-09, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Criterion and IFC announce further titles: Nolan's Following, Cuaron's Tambien, m

I'm sure they're all great, but I am very excited about Following and Y Tu. Hopefully on Blu.
Old 09-01-09, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Criterion and IFC announce further titles: Nolan's Following, Cuaron's Tambien, m

Y Tu
Old 09-01-09, 10:56 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! Y Tu Mama Tambien, also this seems only reasonable considering CHE was coming out by CC
Old 09-01-09, 11:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
http://www.screendaily.com/news/ifc-...e?referrer=RSS

I know the film seems to be a point of contention between people but I'm wondering who currently owns the rights to Me and You and Everyone We Know, which Miranda July stated she wanted to do a better DVD of on her blog years ago, and was released by IFC.
Well I am already rather happy with my MGM Y TU Mama Tambien and my Sony Following and I wish they would stop re-releasing on films that already have adequate DVD edition.
But I am drolling over the eventual CHE set from Criterion.

Oh and droidguy the R2 Me and You and Everyone We Know is much better than the Region 1 release. It includes about an hours worth of interviews (including a 30 minute Miranda July interview and additional Cast & Crew interviews.) and behind the scenes material .
Old 09-01-09, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
Well I am already rather happy with my MGM Y TU Mama Tambien and my Sony Following and I wish they would stop re-releasing on films that already have adequate DVD edition.
But I am drolling over the eventual CHE set from Criterion.

Oh and droidguy the R2 Me and You and Everyone We Know is much better than the Region 1 release. It includes about an hours worth of interviews (including a 30 minute Miranda July interview and additional Cast & Crew interviews.) and behind the scenes material .
I have that one. I'd like a commentary, though.
Old 09-01-09, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd definitely double-dip on a Blu-ray of My Winnipeg. A Criterion edition of The Man from London would be phenomenal as well.
Old 09-01-09, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Amazing news. There is so much potential here.
Old 09-02-09, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd gladly double dip for a Criterion of Y Tu, along with picking up Following as well...
Old 09-02-09, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Imagine this on Criterion:

Old 09-02-09, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cuaron’s Y Tu Mama Tambien, and Christopher Nolan’s Following? that's awesome but why no news for IN THE LOOP? isn't this an IFC title?
Old 09-02-09, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

maybe we'll finally get THE GOOD THE BAD THE WEIRD
Old 09-02-09, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

Originally Posted by animatedude
Cuaron’s Y Tu Mama Tambien, and Christopher Nolan’s Following? that's awesome but why no news for IN THE LOOP? isn't this an IFC title?
I think you can count on In The Loop at some point. There is a Blu out in the UK (I think that is where it is from) and I expect that to be a Criterion at some point.

I am down for Following, I really liked that one. But the DVD presently could use a little help.
Old 09-02-09, 08:46 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

what! no Criterion edition of 'Dead Snow' ??

a Criterion release of 'Summer Hours' (my favourite movie of the year so far) - swheet!
Old 09-02-09, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

SUMMER HOURS and especially HUNGER - terrific news!
Old 09-02-09, 09:06 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
maybe we'll finally get THE GOOD THE BAD THE WEIRD
YES...YES YES YES!!!! *humping the air* YESSSSS, we do need this on DVD/BR. Added in with a shit ton of features. I want to know how they made this thing.
Old 09-02-09, 01:26 PM

It would be nice to get Good, Bad, and the Weird on blu from Criterion, but I know a ton of people that will bitch about this. Their already bitching about the deal that has been set forth because it means that Criterion will be working more on these titles than working on getting the Ozu titles they own or any other landmark director's stuff they have out into the line.
Old 09-02-09, 01:51 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DonTHX1378
It would be nice to get Good, Bad, and the Weird on blu from Criterion, but I know a ton of people that will bitch about this. Their already bitching about the deal that has been set forth because it means that Criterion will be working more on these titles than working on getting the Ozu titles they own or any other landmark director's stuff they have out into the line.

I agree I don't think we'll... well I wont see Criterion release any Peter Greenaway special editions in the near future... guess IFC realized that the Blockbuster deal was lame and stupid.
Old 09-03-09, 11:09 AM

i'm salivating over the thought of a Criterion treatment on 'Antichrist' - since IFC just purchased it.

'Hunger' is enough anticipation for me as it is