Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Old 10-01-09, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/3

I was I was going to kick off the challenge last night with The Frighteners but I couldn't stay awake last night so I didn't watch anything until this morning/afternoon. I had the kids at home with me today so anything really scary/gross was out. I set the kids up with a Spongebob DVD and some toys in the living room and went into the bedroom to fold the 3 baskets of laundry I promised the wife I'd take care of and to watch The Midnight Hour, the TV special from 1985. It was safe enough that when the kids did come in the room for something, it wouldn't scare them for life. They came in more often that not though... It took me over 3 hours to watch this 94 minute movie.

Just got home from a job and have to get up at 4AM so no movie for me tonight. I am planning to go see Zombieland tomorrow and if I don't get home too late, I'll attempt another movie. Have a long day on Saturday so I can't stay up too late tomorrow.

The good news and the bad news: I've just been offered some more work. And while I'm a little bummed that this will cut into all the viewing I was going to do this challenge, I SO need the money so I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. We'll see how the rest of the challenge goes.
Old 10-01-09, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/3

Originally Posted by clckworang
I feel left out. My dog hasn't brought me or left me any dead things.
We had a dead skunk in our yard for a few days.

Originally Posted by llandros
Getting ready to watch The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane. IMDB has it listed as horror, among other categories. Not sure based on the descriptions I have read if that is accurate, but since it is listed that way, gonna give it a try and see.
I thought it was creepy enough to count it.

Originally Posted by The Monkees
Question: Does Coraline count as a horror movie?
I'd say so. Pretty creepy as well if you ask me.

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
The Hollow...is that the one with Nick Carter? I watched it a while back. Decent movie.
I saw part of that on cable a few years ago. I've been meaning to get it from the library. I'll probably give it a try this year.

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Mark me down for another person who enjoyed The Ruins.
My wife won The Ruins on the radio when the DVD first came out. Haven't watched it yet... was actually saving it for this contest. Based on all of your recommendations, I might have to bump it higher on my to-do list so it doesn't get skipped.
Old 10-01-09, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobear
I'm starting off with Thomas Edison's Frankenstein (1910), available at archive.org. It's only 12 minutes long, but it definitely counts as a theatrical release, so I can get my list started before I go to bed.
Counts as a wildcard since its under the time ammount... 48 minutes I thin.... well if I understand it correctly
Old 10-01-09, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan
I'm not fighting anymore either. One year I actually got banned from the discussion thread (with a few other people) because of fighting. Sheesh. As if I don't have enough going on in my life to worry about which movie is really horror and who is watching what. No more fighting for me, I say.
LOL... I might or might not have gotten banned with you... depending on who you believe
Old 10-01-09, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Edwardnortonfan, I had to think of you while watching the MST3K version of a film called Laserblast. You really should watch it. There's a riff about 15 minutes in that you will really, really love. It's in the 20th anniversary edition, but you can also find it in on Google Video. And don't worry, IMDB lists Laserblast in horror.

Oh, and that's not to exclude the rest of you. It's a really, really funny MST episode. Definitely recommended.
Old 10-01-09, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan
I would count it. It's dark and creepy enough.
Originally Posted by Darth Maher
I'd say so. Pretty creepy as well if you ask me.
Okay, thanks. I've been dying to watch this on BD in 3D. I bought it the day it came out when I was visiting D.C. and watched the DVD copy in my hotel room, having never seen it and loved it. I haven't checked out the BD yet (aside from a scene or two) so I'm looking forward to this.

On another note, my list is going pretty good so far. Watching Night of the Demons as I type this.

Last edited by The Monkees; 10-02-09 at 12:49 AM.
Old 10-02-09, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

my 3rd movie of the challenge is Quarantine... I doubt its anywhere near as good as REC
Old 10-02-09, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

I have to say that I am enjoying the discussion thread "now with 100% less rule-nazi-ism." It's much more fun to find reasons to include films than exclude them.
Old 10-02-09, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
I have to say that I am enjoying the discussion thread "now with 100% less rule-nazi-ism." It's much more fun to find reasons to include films than exclude them.
I think its less nazism, because its less of the people pumping out 20 titles on the first night. I only seen one person do a coplete 24 hours on here, and i think he had 10 or 12 at the most. That being said, am I missing the discussion forum for hte movie of the night?
Old 10-02-09, 02:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkgod
I think its less nazism, because its less of the people pumping out 20 titles on the first night. I only seen one person do a coplete 24 hours on here, and i think he had 10 or 12 at the most. That being said, am I missing the discussion forum for hte movie of the night?
Here's the discussion thread for the first movie (Cube).

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews...e-day-1-a.html
Old 10-02-09, 03:02 AM

I'm pumped that this is finally started. I only got in 3 movies yesterday, I'm hoping for more today. Since my fiance's at work and we're doing this together I can't watch anything right now so I took the time to get my list in order. I can't wait till she gets off for some more horror goodness.
Old 10-02-09, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

LOL... I might or might not have gotten banned with you... depending on who you believe
And me.
I wasn't going to get involved this year but I decided to at the last minute. Just gonna turn my brain off and watch some horror flicks. I'm actually out of work until Sunday with an injury so I can front load my list a bit. I don't recommend pulling a chest muscle to anyone though. It fucking hurts like hell.
Old 10-02-09, 06:40 AM

I forgot to mention this in my write-up about Pieces but...
Spoiler:
Any thoughts on that WTF ending? It almost ruined all the good will the movie had built up with me.
Old 10-02-09, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just posted the video for THE EVIL aka HOUSE OF EVIL (1978). As far as haunted house movies go, it really isn't that bad.
Old 10-02-09, 07:57 AM

My wife and I started right at midnight with Jaws and then we got through The Dead Pit and Plague Town before heading to bed. The baby woke us up after only five hours so we finally watched our Freddy marathon we had planned for a few months now. We finished at 4 in the morning on the 2nd so we're actually up to 11 flicks now. Not bad, but I've got to go back to work today and the new school term starts on Monday so I'm not going to get a day like this in again. Too bad as we had a lot of fun.
Old 10-02-09, 08:21 AM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Listen, I thought we ALL agreed to wait until tonight to start this... cause that's when I'll finally be able to join in the fun.
Old 10-02-09, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

being on a four day weekend i figured id cram as much as possible this weekend but damn not that i hate horror or anything but today i think im gonna leave he house

Fav Director Today: Peter Jackson so some dead alive and The Frighteners love.
Old 10-02-09, 08:33 AM
Banned

TV shows do not count? To hell with that. They count in my list. Each season should count as 1 title. I'm going to try and watch the entire Tales From The Crypt series this month on my portable DVD player at work. So you can be damn sure each season I make it through will be listed as 1 as they are finished. I can understand a single Halloween episode of a show counting as a wild card but if you watch an entire season of a Horror show it should be counted as a single title. If it is counted as a single title on DVDAF or (was counted) as a title DVDSpot it should be listed as 1. And yes. If you own a Simpson's Tree House Of Horror DVD and you watch the entire thing., than it should be counted as 1 title. Its one thing if you were to put each season in and watch the one Halloween episode off of each. Yes then fine they are all wild cards. But not if you are watching an entire Halloween related DVD. Well that's just my thoughts... LOL.

Last edited by dkedvd; 10-02-09 at 08:44 AM.
Old 10-02-09, 08:38 AM

how do i add the "spolier" button to my post so I can add the long list of all of my achievement thru the challenge, like others have done?
Old 10-02-09, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Last year was my first year participating, but it does seem a little less intense this year ... at least so far.
Old 10-02-09, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

just finished up Quarantine since I fell asleep about 25 minutes in last night, it was tolerable but fell wayyyyy short of [REC].
Old 10-02-09, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by spectrum21
how do i add the "spolier" button to my post so I can add the long list of all of my achievement thru the challenge, like others have done?
Welcome to the forum/challenge, spectrum 21! Here's quick spoiler tutorial:

[ spoiler ]I want to hide this behind a spoiler[ /spoiler ]

**Just remove the spaces inside the [ ]
Old 10-02-09, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dkedvd
TV shows do not count? To hell with that. They count in my list. Each season should count as 1 title. I'm going to try and watch the entire Tales From The Crypt series this month on my portable DVD player at work. So you can be damn sure each season I make it through will be listed as 1 as they are finished. I can understand a single Halloween episode of a show counting as a wild card but if you watch an entire season of a Horror show it should be counted as a single title. If it is counted as a single title on DVDAF or (was counted) as a title DVDSpot it should be listed as 1. And yes. If you own a Simpson's Tree House Of Horror DVD and you watch the entire thing., than it should be counted as 1 title. Its one thing if you were to put each season in and watch the one Halloween episode off of each. Yes then fine they are all wild cards. But not if you are watching an entire Halloween related DVD. Well that's just my thoughts... LOL.
I can recall some heated discussion once about the horror movie challenge remaining about movies. However, I doubt you'll get opposition from anyone doing it as you suggest since the runtime on a season is so long. I've actually pulled Tales From the Crypt Season 1 out to use as my wildcards. I've wanted to check the series out since I picked it up from Big Lots. Since Season 1 is 6 episodes long, it fits perfect here.
Old 10-02-09, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
I can recall some heated discussion once about the horror movie challenge remaining about movies. However, I doubt you'll get opposition from anyone doing it as you suggest since the runtime on a season is so long. I've actually pulled Tales From the Crypt Season 1 out to use as my wildcards. I've wanted to check the series out since I picked it up from Big Lots. Since Season 1 is 6 episodes long, it fits perfect here.
So I guess I'll take out my eps of Supernatural as wildcards?
Old 10-02-09, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Pillowhead
So I guess I'll take out my eps of Supernatural as wildcards?
I'm not saying that. I think that was part of the original purpose of the Wild Cards, to be able to include a few TV episodes, etc.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.