Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-09, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/3

Originally Posted by ParadiseVendors
If the challenge officially begins at midnight October 1 Eastern Time, does that means it ends 11:59pm Eastern Time on Halloween?

I'm four hours behind Eastern time up here in AK. Should I start watching movies at 8pm and end at 8pm on Halloween, or should I just go with local times and post what I watch until midnight local time? Maybe a dumb question, but this seems pretty organized, don't want to step on any toes posting late or something.
It's actually been extended by a few hours the last couple of years. And last year we kept going up until Dawn, so we might as well continue with that. So feel free to keep watching until the sun pops up where you reside ....providing you can last that long and delirium hasn't set in.

I should probably put something on the front page.
Old 09-23-09, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/3

Originally Posted by Trevor
I'm giving Chad two more weeks to start it up, or then you'll be stuck with my no-pretty-graphics or bells & whistles attempt.
Is that actual time or Trevor time? In which case, we're talking, what, 2 or 3 days max?

It does sound fun. Yeah, I guess could give it a shot unless someone else would prefer to. And I do agree with riot that it would best to start it after the challenge ends. Besides, there's really no rush -- we currently have less than 2 weeks to prepare for the 31 days subset and that's enough time, IMO. And that's essentially a daily version of the film club.

Since the majority of the audience for it is already in here or soon will be, I can get the word out in this thread. And if need be, we can go ahead and get a few people to volunteer to make their picks early and I'll post 'em on the first page.
Old 09-23-09, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

I was coming here to mention how anxious I am to get this challenge started. I'm obviously far from alone. I'm really wanting to buy some new Blu-rays or DVDs for this challenge, but I keep reminding myself to wait until October because there will be so many more deals. Argh! Must be patient!

But in the meantime, I've already rearranged my Netflix queue with all the daily movies. I've had a few movies on my DVR that I've had for months that I've been saving for this challenge. I'm working on getting other old stuff off the DVR, but I've also already started recording movies to use for the challenge as well.

Hurry up and get here October!
Old 09-23-09, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

I watched Donnie Darko tonight. It's not really ruining anything for me though because I still plan to watch the Director's Cut during the challenge.
Old 09-23-09, 01:16 AM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been lurking for to long, I'm in for this, watched from the sidelines the last 2 years.

Just placed a large order with Amazon of some catalog titles I have been wanting for a long time, good excuse to pull the trigger. Plan to place a couple more over the next 2 weeks to make sure I'm good to go the whole month. Pretty excited for all the first time viewing I will be doing, if only work did not get in the way, maybe they will understand that I need to when a horror film movie challenge and give me the month off.

I plan to make my way through the Dimension Extreme line, hopefully I'm not to disappointed, my hopes are low.

Last edited by bse; 09-23-09 at 01:22 AM.
Old 09-23-09, 01:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd just like to share this link again for anyone interested. This website is where I get to watch a lot of my movies that I can't get my hands on otherwise (like theater releases that we don't get in my little Podunk town). You don't have to download anything, just click on the links to watch the movies. They have some of the films from the 31 days subset (not many, though) and some other interesting little horror films. You never know what you might find because it all depends on what the fans link here.

http://www.watch-movies-links.net/
Old 09-23-09, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ParadiseVendors
If the challenge officially begins at midnight October 1 Eastern Time, does that means it ends 11:59pm Eastern Time on Halloween?

I'm four hours behind Eastern time up here in AK. Should I start watching movies at 8pm and end at 8pm on Halloween, or should I just go with local times and post what I watch until midnight local time? Maybe a dumb question, but this seems pretty organized, don't want to step on any toes posting late or something.
Originally Posted by Chad
It's actually been extended by a few hours the last couple of years. And last year we kept going up until Dawn, so we might as well continue with that. So feel free to keep watching until the sun pops up where you reside ....providing you can last that long and delirium hasn't set in.

I should probably put something on the front page.
We have the added benefit of Oct 31 falling on a Saturday, so all-nighters are especially encouraged.
Old 09-23-09, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
I watched Donnie Darko tonight. It's not really ruining anything for me though because I still plan to watch the Director's Cut during the challenge.
on what planet is donnie darko considered horror?
Old 09-23-09, 07:33 AM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
. I'm really wanting to buy some new Blu-rays or DVDs for this challenge, but I keep reminding myself to wait until October because there will be so many more deals. Argh! Must be patient!
!
Good point. There are always more horror DVD bargins in October because of the Halloween celebration. Just another reason to enjoy the month.
Old 09-23-09, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

I'm so lame. I had a dream last night that I missed the beginning of the challenge. Looked at the calendar and it was Oct 3... I had just forgotten.

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
on what planet is donnie darko considered horror?
I don't know... A guy is visited by a strange being that is prompting him to do evil things and tells him that the world will end around Halloween. Seems horror-ish enough. The 7 people that watched it in past challenges obviously agreed.
Old 09-23-09, 09:25 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

I'm getting ancy too. While I should be chiding you all for not using the wait by passionately watching Criterions right now, I admit that the Horror Challenge will always be my favorite. Not only are scary films my favorite genre, but there is something about them that makes them very condusive to marathon viewing.

That said, this October sucks for me. Not only will I be out of town the first four or five days of the month, but I'm working the last four, and stuck with some overtime in between. I work twelve hour shifts, so often can't watch anything those days. So I have maybe 12 days to view films all month. So while I desperately want to watch 200 or more films, I probably won't even hit 75 this year.

On the bright side, I am off work for the weekend of the independent horror film festival next month. It was the highlight of last year's challenge for me, and I encourage everyone to hit a film festival someday.

Last edited by Trevor; 09-23-09 at 11:05 AM. Reason: typo, clarity
Old 09-23-09, 10:55 AM

I work third shift now, so I won't be able to start at midnight, but I'll be starting right when I get out of work. Fun times. I haven't decided what to watch first, but I still have a pile of DVDs that I planned to watch last year and then I got so sick I just let everything fall by the wayside. the upshot is I have at least 100 movies floating around that I need to watch.
Old 09-23-09, 11:04 AM
Banned

SO we STILL cant count TV episodes?
I was hoping to get through the complete series of ANGEL during October?
Theres not much else I wanna watch movie wise this year.
Old 09-23-09, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
Even if TV shows counted, you'd have to watch horror, not girly soap operas.

Just kidding, I plan to watch it someday. But seriously, go ahead and watch it. You can still fully participate in the discussion and camaraderie all month. You just can't count them, and counting is the least important part of these Challenges.
Old 09-23-09, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
I try to like Angel because I love Buffy so much. I still only managed to make myself like season 5 of Angel, but I really really love it, and I can appreciate the other seasons too, even if I don't love them the way I love Buffy. So even though you can't count it, if you watch it I'll geek out with you and discuss it all month.
Old 09-23-09, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by bse
I plan to make my way through the Dimension Extreme line, hopefully I'm not to disappointed, my hopes are low.
Speaking of having low hopes, I have to make it through this during the challenge (someone sent it to me and I have to review it):

Old 09-23-09, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As much as I absolutely love the October Horror movie challenge, I am not a horror guru like most of you. I've basically put on hold any strictly horror movies since last October because I don't want to run out of movies to watch for this challenge!

As Trevor said, I am keeping busy with the Criterion movie challenge and am having a lot of fun with that, but I'm still itching to watch some of my horror movies.
Old 09-23-09, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

just in case people are looking to stock up on some titles before the challenge starts, here are some cheap recommendations:

John Carpenter: Master of Fear Collection ($14.99)
It's Alive Trilogy ($7.99)
Dracula: 4 Film Favorites ($9.49)
Old 09-23-09, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
I want that!

Are those the best presentations for each film?
Old 09-23-09, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since Snow White contains what could be defined as horror elements, i.e. the Wicked Witch, does it count?
Old 09-23-09, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by asianxcore
I want that!

Are those the best presentations for each film?
yes...all three are 16x9
Old 09-23-09, 05:29 PM

If you don't mind buying Used, Family Video has a bunch of newer Horror titles up for $6.99 or less. I usually order like 50 or so of them through out the year in preperation for the challenge.

They currently have REC for 5.99 for anyone who didn't already buy it.
Old 09-23-09, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by asianxcore
I want that!
Me too! I already own the first, but I imagine this trilogy is the best and cheapest way to get parts 2 and 3. Was there a 4? I still remember the trailer of the first scaring me as a kid.
Originally Posted by LickTheABCs
I heartily recommend [Rec], my favorite horror film of 2006, and so much better than the crappy remake Quarantine.
Old 09-23-09, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs
If you don't mind buying Used, Family Video has a bunch of newer Horror titles up for $6.99 or less. I usually order like 50 or so of them through out the year in preperation for the challenge.

I can't decide if I want to pull the trigger on a bunch of titles from fam video or wait till October rolls around for horror sales.

I'm still bummed I missed out on the hastings sale, I was just going to go and place a second order with a bunch of cheap horror titles and their sale ended. Even with the bad shipping charges movies would have only been $2-4 a piece.
Old 09-23-09, 07:28 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Long time horror movie fan, first time poster... y'all can count me in. I will not get anywhere near 100, but I will shoot for let's say 20 since I'm new and all. I pretty much do this every year so it'll be nice to have some other folks to share it with.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.