DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Music Licensing Fees Keeping TV Shows off DVD

Old 09-04-09, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Music Licensing Fees Keeping TV Shows off DVD

Originally Posted by BSTNFAN View Post
I think the problem is with shows that were on before the DVD boom. The rights to the music didn't cover any type of home video release. These days, any studio that doesn't have that (and streaming, etc.) covered is run by morons.
It is more than that. Yes that is pretty important, but the other pieces is the studio ponying up too. You might have deals in place, but if you aren't willing to pay, then it is pointless to have these other deals, right?

If the Ally set does well (and I think it will), there might be a shift in how the studios think.
Old 09-04-09, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by writer106 View Post
I was thinking last night after watching Glee on Fox about the music licensing fees. I think if Glee lasts more than one season. It might not ever be released on DVD much like Cold Case.
It is actually the opposite. GLEE is making deals with the musicians before they use it. They have already announced two soundtrack albums, and the pilot has been available on iTunes for a while.

In fact, after seeing the pilot, Billy Joel called the producers and said "you can use any music of mine you want", he loved the show so much.

So, it will definitely be on DVD next year.
Old 09-04-09, 01:07 PM

I wonder if music licensing is the same reason to keep some of these half-hour comedies off DVD. I really want both of Norm Macdonald's sitcoms on DVD, and Gabriel Byrne's show Madigen Men.
Old 09-05-09, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by moviezzz View Post
It is actually the opposite. GLEE is making deals with the musicians before they use it. They have already announced two soundtrack albums, and the pilot has been available on iTunes for a while.

In fact, after seeing the pilot, Billy Joel called the producers and said "you can use any music of mine you want", he loved the show so much.

So, it will definitely be on DVD next year.
That's pretty cool that are making deals with musicians.
Old 09-06-09, 11:41 AM

The music labels and RIAA have always worked against technology instead of letting it work for them. Their arrogance and greed are actually losing them money.

I can't remember how many times I've put on a DVD of a TV show because I wanted to hear a particular song (or the fifteen seconds of it they actually use). Oh yeah..... never. However, I have made the decision to purchase music based on hearing a portion of it on a show.

With current technology, links could be embedded in the disc to allow a user to click and "download from iTunes" or "buy this album now", possibly resulting in much larger revenues from their back catalog.
Old 09-06-09, 11:49 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 353 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by fargus View Post
With current technology, links could be embedded in the disc to allow a user to click and "download from iTunes" or "buy this album now", possibly resulting in much larger revenues from their back catalog.
I'm sure this has been discussed by all those involved in the process. Surely they can't be that stupid to ignore revenue potential.

If I was a band, I'd make that be part or even all of my payment for allowing my songs on a DVD. No charge, but include a link on the main menu or special features menu to "buy soundtrack" or "buy song x".

But I imagine the laws and/or technolgy don't easily allow this.
Old 09-06-09, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Texan26 View Post
How I Met Your Mother DVDs is missing music. And this was in 2006. Here is a blog mentioning it: http://tuckersworld2.blogspot.com/20...een-on-tv.html
It is stuff like this that boggles my mind. This show is firmly in the DVD age, and yet they didnt get the rights to the music for home video use. Seems stupid to me.
Old 09-06-09, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by jjcool View Post
It is stuff like this that boggles my mind. This show is firmly in the DVD age, and yet they didnt get the rights to the music for home video use. Seems stupid to me.
You see it too often - its short-sightedness by the creators. They have a limited budget for music and REALLY want to use certain songs, but can only afford broadcast rights. So they roll the dice and hope that they can figure out a way to handle it when the DVD comes up.

It usually ends badly.
Old 09-06-09, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 604 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool View Post
My Name is Earl subs out a lot of music as well.
Old 03-15-15, 06:34 AM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Waking up this thread to see if anyone can help with this: Would like to know if any of the shows listed below have had scenes cut from the DVD or blu-ray release because of music rights? Not just music replacement, but actual missing scenes (such as when Dawson's Creek cut scenes of characters singing in a club).

Bones
Medium
Numbers
Supernatural
Alias
Lost
Desperate Housewives
Ghost Whisperer
Prison Break
Tilt
Magnificent Seven
Jericho
Heroes
The Closer
American Dad
Family Guy
Friday Night Lights

I've been Googling and searching threads, but I thought this would be a good way to connect with fans of these shows who might have first hand knowledge.
Old 03-15-15, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 284 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Surfinhank View Post
Waking up this thread to see if anyone can help with this: Would like to know if any of the shows listed below have had scenes cut from the DVD or blu-ray release because of music rights? Not just music replacement, but actual missing scenes (such as when Dawson's Creek cut scenes of characters singing in a club).

Bones
Medium
Numbers
Supernatural
Alias
Lost
Desperate Housewives
Ghost Whisperer
Prison Break
Tilt
Magnificent Seven
Jericho
Heroes
The Closer
American Dad
Family Guy
Friday Night Lights

I've been Googling and searching threads, but I thought this would be a good way to connect with fans of these shows who might have first hand knowledge.
The two I bolded are the only shows I care about.
I'm pretty sure Lost is intact. But here's an interview with the person who picked the music for Friday Night Lights where she says that a lot of the music was replaced for the dvd, but no scenes missing - I think some episodes actually have scenes on dvd that didn't originally air.

F/F: Do the characters ever suggest music? Have the show’s writers ever worked around a specific song you found and wanted to use?

One time for Landry’s band, Crucifictorius, when Devin was auditioning and Landry was down and out about Tyra, she suggested they needed some Flaming Lips, “She Don’t Use Jelly.” Well, that was written into the script and it was a really good idea and it stuck. A lot of songs that are written into the script might not make it – things change, budgets change, so I wasn’t sure if we’d be able to afford that Flaming Lips song. But happily, it all worked out. I had lined up other songs as alternatives, like I had something worked out with The Pixies, which doesn’t seem like it would be less money but it was. I had the challenge of finding other bands with that anthemic indie feel, where I could work with publishers and get a deal that we could agree to.

That’s an example of what I do all the time. I mean, there might be a karaoke scene where they want to sing “American Girl” by Tom Petty , but there’s no point in spending all that money for that one song. My job is to find something cheaper for karaoke that’s still funny or sweet or still fits. There’s tons of that.

F/F: It sounds like a treasure hunt but with a lot of negotiating.

LR: Yeah, on something like that it can be difficult to start creatively with trying to find the right song to fit the scene. I will often start by calling the publishers that I have relationships with and asking them to look at their catalog, telling them, “okay here is my budget,” and then having them come up with their ideas. That way, if I only have one day to do this I don’t get screwed. I take what they give me and then go with those ten ideas and go with whatever ideas I think are the best. It’s one way to do it. It’s called pre-clearing the songs. I know that every song I get from this publisher will be clearable, they already know that they don’t need artist approval, it will fit in my budget, there’s no negotiation. We have to consider all those things before we even get to licensing.

F/F: Has licensing gotten successively easier as the show has gone through four seasons and gathered more fans and a reputation for good music?

LR: Oh yes, definitely. People love the show, they’re convinced of the show’s quality. But it’s not a money show, songs get replaced when they make it to DVD. NBC can clear for different musical options per song – a two year term, a five year term, an all-media term, and then at some point they’ll figure out their licensing strategy, and which term they’re going to pick up. Friday Night Lights is a two-year term. So let’s say for a Bob Dylan song, perhaps for all-media it would cost $40,000, a two-year term on that is more like $4,000-$6,000. There are some artists like the Velvet Underground and they weren’t interested in the two year term. They were only interested in the full term, so they passed.

In the beginning when we first announced our two-year term, a lot of bands were all worried about where licensing was heading and how we were all doomed, but as we went along we realized that a lot of bands were fine with the two-year term because it wasn’t exploitative, we weren’t going to use their song forever. In a way it’s not a bad deal – they get great exposure. More and more young bands don’t mind that it’s a two-year term.

F/F: So the songs on the DVDs aren’t always the same ones in the first run of the show?

LR: Not always, no, unfortunately. In fact, I’m glad you saw the Ryan Adams clip – unfortunately they can’t afford to buy all of the music we put in the initial series, there’s no way. It would cost millions of dollars. In the actual show there’s a ton more music, but they replace it – there’s a company we use called Five Alarm Music, a production library music house, and they’re in charge of finding things that we like that will be okay, that will fit in as well as they can. In one season, we did really well at getting a lot of songs through to DVD, I can’t remember if it was season one or season two, where they kept a lot, but other seasons we’ve had to rip a lot out.

F/F: Is that hard for you? Is it like making a mix tape for someone and then finding out later that six songs were cut and replaced?

LR: Oh, it’s so heartbreaking. I mean, I don’t have to do the re-musicing, so I just try to forget about it. I get my final air copy of the season, and that’s what I have to keep! I find that the music still works, and honestly it’s just a great show so that comes through, always.
Old 03-21-15, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 448 Likes on 385 Posts

Supernatural is an obvious candidate, since that show has always liked using popular Hard Rock songs. I really can't say if every broadcast song has made it to home video.

I also believe that Lost got all of its original music. That series never went for a lot of Pop music anyway, which is the hard stuff to license.
Old 03-23-15, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sigh. This thread just makes me sad again when I remember how they DESTROYED 21 Jump Street by replacing all the music. I bought the sets anyway just to prove there is a market, but it's depressing just how bad the generic music makes the show.