DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

observe and report - september 22nd, 2009

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-09, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: observe and report - september 22nd, 2009

Originally Posted by slop101
I think they figure that the people that care about a proper widescreen presentation have mostly moved onto blu ray by now. So the people still languishing with dvd would probably appreciate a full-screen version instead of some extras they'd never watch.
I absolutely care about the OAR and care about extras but I still buy SD. I just can't afford to upgrade. I really want to but I can't afford it for a long while.

As for this release, I would be furious right now if there had been a commentary that was left off the SD release.
Old 07-31-09, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RagingBull80
As for this release, I would be furious right now if there had been a commentary that was left off the SD release.
blu-ray has a picture in picture commentary
Old 07-31-09, 02:27 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Serves the bastards right:
(from IMDB .com)
"Time Warner Falls 34 Percent

30 July 2009 1:17 PM, PDT

Time Warner has become the latest media conglomerate to report a steep slump in second-quarter profits. In its latest regulatory filing, the company said that it earned $519 million in its latest quarter, down 34 percent from the $792 million it reported in the comparable quarter a year ago. However, last year's figures also included earnings from its profitable Time Warner Cable, which was recently spun off. Excluding the cable results, earnings were down 8 percent. Although Time Warner is one of the few major media conglomerates that does not own a broadcast network, its cable networks, which reported a whopping 17-percent increase in operating income, outshone the performance of broadcast rivals' including CBS Inc., NBC Universal, Disney/ABC, and Fox Broadcasting. Analysts noted that Time Warner was able to offset lower advertising revenue for its Turner Broadcasting outlets by collecting more money from cable outlets (including Time Warner cable, the nation's second-largest cable company behind Comcast). Another solid performer was its Warner Bros. movie unit, which rose 52 percent due mostly to restructuring. Its weakest component continued to be AOL"

IM smiling now. Not that it'll change things but it still makes me smile.
Old 07-31-09, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by RagingBull80
I absolutely care about the OAR and care about extras but I still buy SD. I just can't afford to upgrade. I really want to but I can't afford it for a long while.
I was generalizing - of course there's going to be exceptions, but I think it's mostly true - most of the people who are truly obsessed with movies and tv, etc. have upgraded to BD, in some cases at the cost of eating. But if you can't afford a $200 bluray player, you probably shouldn't even be buying regular dvds.
Old 07-31-09, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
(from IMDB .com)

Irony is that you and I are both the loser here. Less profits for them also means less output, and less risk taking, which means they'll have to churn out more family-friendly, teen-focused crap, and certainly less movies like O&R, and less likely that they'll take chances on movies that we might like.
Old 07-31-09, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Blu for me
Old 07-31-09, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The funniest thing is that chris_sc77 used to have HD-DVD. I imagine if HD-DVD had won, Warner would be doing the exact same shit on HD-DVD, and he wouldn't bat an eye. I doubt he'd be writing furious letters to WB and vindictively posting anti-WB articles over their favor for a format with his support.
Old 07-31-09, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

I was generalizing - of course there's going to be exceptions, but I think it's mostly true - most of the people who are truly obsessed with movies and tv, etc. have upgraded to BD, in some cases at the cost of eating. But if you can't afford a $200 bluray player, you probably shouldn't even be buying regular dvds.
There is alot more invloved in going to blue ray than just a "$200 blueray player". You forget the cost of an HDTV, as well as the cost of the discs themselves. And as we all know, the blue ray discs are oftentimes substantially more expensive than their dvd counterparts.
Old 07-31-09, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
There is alot more invloved in going to blue ray than just a "$200 blueray player". You forget the cost of an HDTV, as well as the cost of the discs themselves. And as we all know, the blue ray discs are oftentimes substantially more expensive than their dvd counterparts.
Yeah, but not all Blu-Rays have exclusive features. My friend is buying a 1080p HDTV for about $550, so getting the player and TV for less than $1000 is pretty simple, and then nobody says you have to buy every Blu-Ray that comes out. Times are tough, but $750-$850 isn't some astronomical, insurmountable amount of money.
Old 07-31-09, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

(from IMDB .com)

30 July 2009 1:17 PM, PDT

Time Warner has become the latest media conglomerate to report a steep slump in second-quarter profits. In its latest regulatory filing, the company said that it earned $519 million in its latest quarter, down 34 percent from the $792 million it reported in the comparable quarter a year ago. However, last year's figures also included earnings from its profitable Time Warner Cable, which was recently spun off. Excluding the cable results, earnings were down 8 percent. Although Time Warner is one of the few major media conglomerates that does not own a broadcast network, its cable networks, which reported a whopping 17-percent increase in operating income, outshone the performance of broadcast rivals' including CBS Inc., NBC Universal, Disney/ABC, and Fox Broadcasting. Analysts noted that Time Warner was able to offset lower advertising revenue for its Turner Broadcasting outlets by collecting more money from cable outlets (including Time Warner cable, the nation's second-largest cable company behind Comcast). Another solid performer was its Warner Bros. movie unit, which rose 52 percent due mostly to restructuring. Its weakest component continued to be AOL"

well, the article says that warner bros actually rose 52 percent, so unfortunately they will probably feel right about their decisions.
for me warner home video is certainly the worst studio currently, due to their
outdated fullscreen flipper discs and lack if extras. they even use the worst glue for the dvd shrinkwraps
always sticks to the spine!!
anyhow, shame for such a major to have so little enthusiasm, effort and creativity with their dvd releases. the only thing i can congratulate them on recently is the lenticular sleeve for the watchmen directors cut!
i think the studio is EXTREMELY arrogant though, as i have NEVER received
an answer to any of the mails i have written to their customer service!!
if they cared about their clients at all, they could at least show some service!

ps. if anyone remembers that in entourage the warner studio head is portrayed as the biggest prick ever
Old 07-31-09, 06:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
The funniest thing is that chris_sc77 used to have HD-DVD. I imagine if HD-DVD had won, Warner would be doing the exact same shit on HD-DVD, and he wouldn't bat an eye. I doubt he'd be writing furious letters to WB and vindictively posting anti-WB articles over their favor for a format with his support.
OK this is bullshit. I had Hd-DVD and i didnt like it and i certainly would still be buying the standard editions of new films.
And FYI I do indeed own Blu-rays. Not a player but I have Blu-ray dvd's. And i only bought those blu-ray disks cause buying them on Blu was cheaper than buying them on DVD.
I imagine some day down the line i will get a player but I still think it is a CRIME that they pull this exclusive special features just.
It makes not want to buy either version.
Old 07-31-09, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, maybe import copies might carry the bonus material. But then again, with the case of Ben Button in Europe, WB only released a 1-disc, but in Asia, 2 Discs. Not very consistent.
Old 07-31-09, 06:37 PM
Banned

^Also WB recently released a 2-disk Watchmen with has like 40 additional minutes of featurettes not on the R1 edition (but on the R1 Bluray) over on the R2 DVD edition. BUT i guess R2 didnt get a directors cut so i dunno. Very inconsistent indeed . Ive sadi it b4 and I'll say it again. The guys in charge of New releases over at WB disgust.
Old 07-31-09, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What awful cover art. I wonder why they didn't just use one of the one-sheets.
Old 07-31-09, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Blind buy for sure for me based on word of mouth
Old 07-31-09, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^Also WB recently released a 2-disk Watchmen with has like 40 additional minutes of featurettes not on the R1 edition (but on the R1 Bluray) over on the R2 DVD edition. BUT i guess R2 didnt get a directors cut so i dunno. Very inconsistent indeed . Ive sadi it b4 and I'll say it again. The guys in charge of New releases over at WB disgust.
Paramount released it in R2, so it's not because of WB
Old 07-31-09, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Yeah, but not all Blu-Rays have exclusive features. My friend is buying a 1080p HDTV for about $550, so getting the player and TV for less than $1000 is pretty simple, and then nobody says you have to buy every Blu-Ray that comes out. Times are tough, but $750-$850 isn't some astronomical, insurmountable amount of money.

To some it is.

Anyways. I'm actually with Chris. Maybe some people care so much is because the are affected by this, and others simply are not. It's easy not to be bothered by this if you don't plan to buy the DVD. But some of us will, or would have, so whatever.

If you're bothered about him being bothered, please post why the DVD should not have the same features. I'd like to know.
Old 07-31-09, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

sheesh, there you go generalizing again
Old 08-01-09, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You're right I shouldn't even be buying DVDs. I actually have cut down substantially.

Originally Posted by jjcool
I was going to say this as well. I won't buy a Blu-ray player until I have a high def TV and a little better sound system. I need to get my car paid off and find a better living situation before I can even think about upgrading everything.
Old 08-01-09, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I fucking loved this movie and I have one of the one sheets framed and hung on my wall. I also do not have Blu-Ray, and I am very upset about this. Ugh.

I hope there's a list of Blu-Rays with exclusive features out there, so I know what needs to be upgraded when I eventually move to that format. Such bullshit.
Old 08-01-09, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

OK this is bullshit. I had Hd-DVD and i didnt like it and i certainly would still be buying the standard editions of new films.
And FYI I do indeed own Blu-rays. Not a player but I have Blu-ray dvd's. And i only bought those blu-ray disks cause buying them on Blu was cheaper than buying them on DVD.
I imagine some day down the line i will get a player but I still think it is a CRIME that they pull this exclusive special features just.
It makes not want to buy either version.
Wait a minute, wait a minute, wait a minute...

You own Blu-Ray discs, because they were cheaper than the standard DVD release, but don't own a player, meaning that they are more or less completely worthless for you, since you can't get any use out of them.

Ohhhh, oh my head! It hurts!
Old 08-01-09, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This has been mentioned many times before. The plan is to make the BD the "special edition" option. Looks like it's slowly going into effect.
Old 08-01-09, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468

You own Blu-Ray discs, because they were cheaper than the standard DVD release, but don't own a player, meaning that they are more or less completely worthless for you, since you can't get any use out of them.

You're trying to figure out a man who strictly reserves his theater going experiences to R-rated films over 2 hours in length. Don't waste your time.
Old 08-01-09, 03:37 PM
Banned

Well like I said. The blu-ray disks I own are Smallville Season 7 on Blu-ray and Mad Men Season 2. Both sets I am in no hurry at all to watch and will wait until i find a player for $99 or less that comes with at least 3 free titles. So, until that day I wont be buying a Blu-ray player. AND Even then i wont pay more for a Blu-ray title than I would a DVD version of the same film. So its up to the studios if they want my money.
Old 08-02-09, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Why do you assume that just because he doesnt own a blue ray player that he cant get any use out of the discs? Does one have to own their own player to play a blue ray disc? will his disc not play on someone elses blue ray player? Alot of assumptions/generalizations flying around this thread, and most of them are bullshit.

Last edited by jjcool; 08-04-09 at 04:51 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.