DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Claudette Colbert Legacy Collection from Universal: 11/3/09 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/558981-claudette-colbert-legacy-collection-universal-11-3-09-a.html)

NoirFan 07-29-09 12:33 AM

Claudette Colbert Legacy Collection from Universal: 11/3/09

From classic flix:

Studio: Universal Studios
Release Date: 11/03/2009
SYNOPSIS:

The Claudette Colbert Legacy Collection celebrates the career of one of the most popular screen legends of all-time. Equally comfortable in epics (Cleopatra), dramas (Imitation of Life) and screwball comedies (such as It Happened One Night in which she won an Academy Award), Claudette's versatility and striking beauty set her apart from other actresses of the 1930's and 1940's. As part of the new “Universal Backlot Series”, this collection of 6 rare films showcases her talent and beauty in Three-Cornered Moon, Maid of Salem, I Met Him in Paris, Bluebeard's Eighth Wife, No Time for Love and The Egg and I.

DISC 1:

Three-Cornered Moon (1933, 77 min.)
Often regarded as one the first genuine “screwball comedies”, Three-Cornered Moon stars Claudette Colbert as a level-headed member of an eccentric family who suddenly find their family fortune gone due to the stock market crash. Chaos ensues when they must find jobs and work for the first-time ever.

Maid of Salem (1937, 85 min.)
Inspired by the notorious Salem “witch trials”, Claudette Colbert stars as a free-thinking young woman who is falsely accused of casting evil spells by the Puritan townsfolk. Co-starring Fred MacMurray, The Maid of Salem is based on authentic records from 1692.

DISC 2:

I Met Him in Paris (1937, 86 min.)
Claudette Colbert plays an American fashion designer who leaves her hometown sweetheart for a trip to Paris. She then meets 2 new suitors – a playwright and a playboy – and through a series of slapstick winter sports must decide which of the men she truly loves.

Bluebeard's Eighth Wife (1938, 85 min.)
Claudette Colbert is as captivating as ever in the hilarious romantic comedy Bluebeard’s Eighth Wife co-starring Gary Cooper and directed by Ernst Lubitsch. Set on the French Riviera, a young woman falls for a dashing millionaire only to find out on their wedding day that he has been down the aisle before – 7 times!

DISC 3:

No Time for Love (1943, 83 min.)
In the screwball comedy No Time for Love, Claudette Colbert plays a sophisticated fashion photographer whose vindictive editor decides to teach her a lesson by assigning her to photograph construction workers. After inadvertently causing one of the workers (played by Fred MacMurray) to be fired, she hires him as her assistant resulting in conflict and…possibly romance.

The Egg and I (1947, 108 min.)
Claudette Colbert is stars as a city gal who finds herself living the “simple life” after her new husband (played by Fred MacMurray) decides they should live on a rustic farm miles away from civilization. When life becomes an endless battle of repairs, rain, ornery livestock and chickens, their marriage is put to the test in this heartwarming comedy.

BONUS FEATURES:

* Claudette Colbert - Queen of the Silver Screen
* Trailers
Retail is $49.98.

Ash Ketchum 07-29-09 09:34 AM

Re: Claudette Colbert Legacy Collection from Universal: 11/3/09

I'm curious as to why MIDNIGHT (1939) is not on this set. It's one of her best comedies and was co-written by Billy Wilder. Was it released in an earlier set?

I've seen five of these. They're all good, but I'd highly recommend THREE-CORNERED MOON, MAID OF SALEM and BLUEBEARD'S EIGHTH WIFE.

THREE-CORNERED MOON didn't strike me as being much of a comedy. At a certain point it becomes a stark drama about the Depression. I remember seeing it at a time when I was under-employed and having to support a wife and baby and it freaked me out during a scene involving the character of Colbert's irresponsible boyfriend, who'd rather write his ongoing novel (with no publisher in sight) than take an office job that's been offered to him. Her once-rich family is depending on this schlub to put food on the table and he blows off the job interview to go ponder a rewrite of his third chapter. He reminded me too much of myself and it was pretty harrowing. Within a year of that, I started at the job I'm at now and I haven't done too badly for myself after all. But it didn't come soon enough to save the marriage. But THREE-CORNERED MOON still stands out for me as a powerful glimpse of Depression-era poverty and how an "artist"'s selfishness has larger ramifications.

Silverscreenvid 07-29-09 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum (Post 9606287)
I'm curious as to why MIDNIGHT (1939) is not on this set. It's one of her best comedies and was co-written by Billy Wilder. Was it released in an earlier set?

Midnight is not in a set, but it was released individually last year with a number of other titles of similar vintage as part of the Universal Cinema Classics series (street price around $10).

Frankly, catalogue title releases are drying up, so I'd rather see an all-new set than a mishmash that repackages one or two existing releases with some new ones (plus, those types of packages tend not to sell as well for that exact reason, because Colbert fans already have the earlier single releases and don't want to repackage them in a set).

It is a good sign in general to see this set released if you like vintage films, even if you're not a fan of these titles.

NoirFan 07-30-09 08:39 PM

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ttecolbert.jpg

Ash Ketchum 07-31-09 09:30 AM

It should be added that THE EGG AND I marked the first film appearance of Ma and Pa Kettle. They were such a hit in this film that Universal paired the two actors (Marjorie Main and Percy Kilbride) in a whole series of Ma and Pa Kettle comedies that lasted till 1957, ten years after THE EGG AND I. (Kilbride died at some point and his part was played in the last film by Parker Fennelly.)

js097 07-31-09 04:20 PM

a must buy although I wish "The Gilded Lily" was on the set. First teaming with MacMurray and the chemistry is undeniable.