DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   J.J. Abrams Star Trek Due Out Nov. 17th! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/558330-j-j-abrams-star-trek-due-out-nov-17th.html)

buckee1 07-17-09 07:24 AM

J.J. Abrams Star Trek Due Out Nov. 17th!

Star Trek flies out with space-age box
PHYSICAL: Tour of Enterprise built into Nov. 17 packaging
By Jennifer Netherby -- Video Business, 7/16/2009

JULY 16 | PHYSICAL: Paramount Home Entertainment’s Star Trek is about to once again boldly go where no man has gone before—this time making the DVD and Blu-ray Disc releases cutting edge in the digital era.

Expected to be one of the biggest home entertainment releases of the fourth quarter after its $375 million theatrical run, J.J. Abrams’ re-imagined Star Trek, will make its home market debut on Nov. 17 with all the usual extras on the two-disc DVD and three-disc Blu-ray release as well as a new bonus feature on the disc packaging itself.

With the packaging feature dubbed “augmented reality,” consumers will be able to hold their disc packaging in front of any standard Web cam to unlock an interactive hologram tour of the U.S.S. Enterprise. In the tour, which plays on the computer screen, viewers will be able to tour five cabins on the movie's Enterprise and even shoot enemies from the ship’s deck.

The technology has been used before for magazine covers and other types of product packaging and Universal Studios Home Entertainment will use it in a Comic-Con promotion for Coraline. However, the Star Trek release is a first for a major home entertainment title.

“Anything that increases the value of the physical good in the eyes of the consumer is a benefit,” Paramount home video senior VP of brand marketing Bob Buchi said.

An early version of the feature, which Paramount tried for the international theatrical release of the film, can be accessed at the Experience the Enterprise Web site.

For the DVD release, Paramount will include a visual icon inside the packaging that, when held in front of the Web cam, will unlock a more immersive experience.

Users will have to log in to a Web site to access the feature, but they control the hologram by holding the disc packaging.

“You’re in control of what you’re doing,” Buchi said. “If you took the visual cue in the package and turned your hand, then you’re turning the ship.”

Aiming to appeal to every potential fan, Paramount will release three disc versions of Star Trek: a one-disc edition with the movie and director's commentary, and a bonus-packed two-disc DVD and three-disc Blu-ray. The two-DVD and Blu-ray versions will also include a digital copy of the movie.

Paramount hasn’t yet released pricing information for the sets, which will debut right before the busy Thanksgiving weekend.

Among the other extras on the high-end versions are plot-based deleted scenes, such as a cut scene with a baby Spock, ears and all. Another cut includes an abandoned story line with Nero and a look at Abrams’ version of the warrior Klingons.

The Blu-ray set will include a BD Live feature that connects viewers to live updates from space through NASA. Those who want to explore the film’s space ships more, also will be able to click on the Star Fleet Vessel Simulator to get a 360-degree view of the Enterprise and other ships.

DVD Josh 07-17-09 08:28 AM

Re: J.J. Abrams Star Trek Due Out Nov. 17th!

You really didn't think to search for an already existing thread on this? STAR TREK?

Seriously?

CaptStormy 07-17-09 08:46 AM

Wow that sounds cool! I am most definitely in!

Double_Oh_7 07-17-09 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh (Post 9575720)
You really didn't think to search for an already existing thread on this? STAR TREK?

Seriously?

Why would the OP bury specific news about the DVD release in one of the many, lengthy, ENDLESS threads about Star Trek? I think it deserves its own thread.

marty888 07-17-09 09:11 AM

An instant buy for me!

milo bloom 07-17-09 09:13 AM

Definite buy. Certainly worth of it's space on my DVD shelf.

lopper 07-17-09 09:49 AM

I don't buy Blu-ray versions very often, but I couldn't imagine watching this in any other format.

I'll definitely pick this up.

starman9000 07-17-09 09:52 AM

Nice, it's on my birthday :)

philip74 07-17-09 11:21 AM

wow thats a six month wait for the dvd release. pretty long for today`s standards! reminds me of the vhs era :)

jjcool 07-17-09 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh (Post 9575720)

Seriously?

Was there already a thread announcing the dvd release? Did I miss it somehow?

Moleman1138 07-17-09 11:53 AM

Having seen it 11X, i can't wait 4 more months.

DirkUSA 07-17-09 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by philip74 (Post 9576101)
wow thats a six month wait for the dvd release. pretty long for today`s standards! reminds me of the vhs era :)

MMMMhhhh, are you sure about the six months? Sounds a lot shorter to me. :D

ReduxGuy 07-17-09 01:32 PM

Oh, how it would've been nice to have a DTS track for this.

AnonomusBob15 07-17-09 02:14 PM

Bullshit. Looks like the Blu will have some significant extra bonus features. I will probably have a player by the time this is released, but it's still bullshit

canaryfarmer 07-17-09 02:20 PM

You seem surprised that they would use a guaranteed HUGE seller like this to push people towards Blu with the dangly carrot of more extras.

AnonomusBob15 07-17-09 02:45 PM

It usually doesn't bother me since it's always the least most interesting extra. I just think it's such a typical, tacky practice. As much as I hate this as well, release 2 versions, don't just make the material unavailable to DVD users

Double_Oh_7 07-17-09 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by philip74 (Post 9576101)

I don't think it's an unusual wait. I always expect big summer blockbuster DVD releases to cash in on the holiday season.

Gunde 07-17-09 03:16 PM

Wow that webcam login shit sounds stupid.

Numanoid 07-17-09 03:18 PM

Can not wait.

critterdvd 07-17-09 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 (Post 9575768)
Why would the OP bury specific news about the DVD release in one of the many, lengthy, ENDLESS threads about Star Trek? I think it deserves its own thread.

I agree :-)

On another note: I CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS BLU-RAY

philip74 07-17-09 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 (Post 9576659)
I don't think it's an unusual wait. I always expect big summer blockbuster DVD releases to cash in on the holiday season.

well i guess this year titles are getting pushed back to the holiday season.
usually the titles are released after 4 months, sometimes shorter.
for example transformers was released on july 4th 2007 and was already
released on october 16th. this years transformers rise of the fallen was released theatrically june 24th and is rumored on dvd for november 10.
therefore a longer period than for part one.
seems some major titles are purposely held back to meet certain desired
dvd release dates.
however, star trek was already released in theaters early may, so 6 months is a long wait for today`s standards. last major titles i can remember
that took so long were pirates/worlds end and grand torino.
although i wouldn`t call such few titles a new trend of longer release windows, but for my taste it can never be fast enough :)
hope on day we will be able to choose if we want to visit the theater or purchase the dvd immediately.

philip74 07-17-09 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 (Post 9576659)

considering that the blockbuster season now already starts in the beginning
of may, rather than june or july, it is a long wait for standard release windows.

ReduxGuy 07-17-09 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by AnonomusBob15 (Post 9576643)
It usually doesn't bother me since it's always the least most interesting extra. I just think it's such a typical, tacky practice. As much as I hate this as well, release 2 versions, don't just make the material unavailable to DVD users

Completely agree.

That's something about the WB that really miffs me, especially when it came to The Dark Knight last December. Giving the standard collectors scraps and the Blu-Ray owners the meat of the making-of.

DJariya 07-18-09 02:39 AM

Here are the specs:

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/star-trek12.html

Paramount Home Entertainment has announced 2-disc DVD and 3-disc Blu-ray releases of Star Trek for the 17th November. Each will feature a widescreen presentation along with Dolby Digital 5.1 for the DVD, and 5.1 Dolby TrueHD for the Blu-ray. Extras will include commentary by director J.J. Abrams, writers Robert Orci and Alex Kurtzman, producer Damon Lindelof and executive producer Bryan Burk, deleted scenes with optional commentary ("Spock Birth", "Klingons Take Over Narada", "Young Kirk, Johnny and Uncle Frank", "Amanda and Sarek Argue After Spock Fights", "Prison Interrogation and Breakout", "Sarek Gets Amanda", "Dorm Room and Kobayashi Maru (original version)", "Kirk Apologizes to the Green Girl", "Sarek Sees Spock"), featurettes ("To Boldly Go", "Casting", "Aliens", "Score"), a gag reel, and a digital copy. The Blu-ray release will also include additional featurettes on the Starships, Gene Roddenberry's Vision, Ben Burtt and the Sounds of Star Trek, a Starfleet Vessel Simulator, and more.

MTRodaba2468 07-18-09 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by ReduxGuy (Post 9576875)

Originally Posted by AnonomusBob15 (Post 9576643)

Completely agree.

That's something about the WB that really miffs me, especially when it came to The Dark Knight last December. Giving the standard collectors scraps and the Blu-Ray owners the meat of the making-of.

Also agreed.

Granted, I have a Blu-Ray player, so I'm not missing out on the extras, but I agree that it's a bullshit practice. The selling point of a high-definition format should be high-definition video and audio.