DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Criterion newsletter - July 2009 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/558000-criterion-newsletter-july-2009-a.html)

NoirFan 07-10-09 05:06 PM

Criterion newsletter - July 2009

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...wackyhorse.jpg

...But which John Ford Western?

PopcornTreeCt 07-10-09 06:35 PM

Re: Criterion newsletter - July 2009

A Western Christmas, that can't be too hard to figure out...

NoirFan 07-10-09 06:36 PM

Christmas could simply refer to the release date.

Adam Tyner 07-10-09 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt (Post 9562377)
A Western Christmas, that can't be too hard to figure out...

Y'know, Ford's 3 Godfathers is set during Christmas. :)

I'm sure NoirFan is right and that Christmas is just the release date. With Ford, Criterion certainly has my attention...

MTRodaba2468 07-10-09 06:50 PM

Some people on the different Criterion boards seem to think it could be either Koyaanisqatsi or 3 Godfathers, although I'd venture to guess it's the former, since Criterion has supposedly confirmed that one...

animatedude 07-10-09 06:57 PM

this is obvious!....it's "All The Pretty Horses"...:)

AGameWithStones 07-10-09 07:01 PM

My theory: Rio Grande.

mikelowry 07-10-09 08:07 PM

Hoping for The Searchers.

TheDuke 07-10-09 08:57 PM

Koyaanisqatsi would be awesome! Especially with some Phillip Glass related extras!

chris_sc77 07-10-09 10:48 PM

3 Godfaters is great. One of my fav. underrated westerns. But it already has a very fine DVD and I Hope that it will be something different and new.

Solid Snake 07-10-09 11:20 PM

Didn't Rio Grande have a pretty good DVD release? And The Searchers special edition is pretty cool.

Doctor Gonzo 07-10-09 11:33 PM

Wouldn't a Criterion edition of Red River kick ass?...

IanUngstad 07-10-09 11:33 PM

The only Ford Westerns set in Monument Valley that could use a dvd upgrade are Fort Apache and She Wore a Yellow Ribbon. The rest are available in excellent and loaded special editions.

Fort Apache - The only supplement on this disc is a 10 minute featurette about Ford's relationship with Monument Valley.

She Wore a Yellow Ribbon - Disc has some audio problems, with crackles and pops. Only supplement is about 10 minutes of location scouting footage filmed by Ford and Wayne.

nitin77 07-10-09 11:51 PM

Red River would be cool, MGM's disc is pretty average. But I cant see the clue leading to that.

chris_sc77 07-10-09 11:54 PM

Red River would indeed be awesome.
I did see the word Christmas and hope for a second we would be getting Marry Christmas Mr. Lawrence. Oh well, guess I can always order the R2 version of that one..

b.n. 07-11-09 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by nitin77 (Post 9562756)
Red River would be cool, MGM's disc is pretty average. But I cant see the clue leading to that.

No, I don't either. The filming locations do not include Monument Valley.

Spiral Staircase 08-25-09 05:05 PM

Criterion officially confirmed the title referred to in the newsletter is Stagecoach.

"Jon Mulvaney" revealed several other forthcoming titles including:

Revanche

The French Lieutenant's Woman

Von Sternberg's Underworld and The Docks of New York

A 25 Film Kurosawa Box Set

Ride with the Devil

Hunger

Mystery Train

They are also attempting to acquire the rights to the post-1918 Charlie Chaplin library.

NoirFan 08-25-09 05:20 PM

Wow, I better hold off buying any more Criterion Kurosawas! A couple of Kurosawa Blu-ray sets were just released in Japan, hopefully that bodes well for this Criterion set.

Gobear 08-25-09 06:11 PM

Warner already released a Stagecoach 2-disc SE--do we really need a Criterion double-dip?

And The Devils has yet to see the light of day on DVD. Why the hell is Criterion releasing movies that are already on perfectly good DVDs, instead of breaking out quality movies that have not yet been released in R1?

Here are some worthy candidates for Criterion's attention
Mizoguchi's Life of Oharu
Yamanaka's Humanity and Paper Balloons
Von Stroheim's Greed
Huston's The African Queen (since Warner cancelled the DVD that was supposed to be coming out in October)
Altman's Brewster McCloud
Greenaway's The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover

CharlieK 08-25-09 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Spiral Staircase (Post 9668686)
"Jon Mulvaney" revealed several other forthcoming titles including:

Ride with the Devil

Is this Ang Lee's movie with Maguire & Jewel? Was it that good?

Spiral Staircase 08-25-09 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by CharlieK (Post 9668911)
Is this Ang Lee's movie with Maguire & Jewel? Was it that good?

Yes, it is apparently a new director's cut. It will be released in May 2010. The original cut received mostly middling reviews in 1999.

NoirFan 08-25-09 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Gobear (Post 9668824)

Wonderful film. There is already a bare-bones MoC disc, but I'd gladly double-dip for a Tony Rayns or Donald Richie commentary.

Zen Peckinpah 08-25-09 08:13 PM

Mystery Train? Fuckin' A! My favorite Jarmusch, no questions asked.

MTRodaba2468 08-26-09 12:22 AM

Warner already released a Stagecoach 2-disc SE--do we really need a Criterion double-dip?

That's what I was thinking. With that said, the transfer is supposed to be off of the UCLA restoration of the film (which has yet to be used for home video release), we don't know what extras will be used (if they port over the previous ones, create new ones, or both), and there's also the potential Blu-Ray possibility...

And The Devils has yet to see the light of day on DVD. Why the hell is Criterion releasing movies that are already on perfectly good DVDs, instead of breaking out quality movies that have not yet been released in R1?

I agree. I've noticed this past year that they've gone for a few titles that already had decent R1 releases. The economy, perhaps, has pushed them to release more known titles, to let them take chances on lesser known ones?

Here are some worthy candidates for Criterion's attention
Mizoguchi's Life of Oharu
Von Stroheim's Greed
Huston's The African Queen (since Warner cancelled the DVD that was supposed to be coming out in October)
Altman's Brewster McCloud
Greenaway's The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover

Well, WB supposedly has Greed in the works, and they have nothing to do with the African Queen release (Paramount holds the rights to it, and it's still supposed to be coming out in Oct. as part of the Centennial Collection line).

The Cook... is supposedly getting a Criterion release eventually.

Superdaddy 08-26-09 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468 (Post 9669437)
I agree. I've noticed this past year that they've gone for a few titles that already had decent R1 releases. The economy, perhaps, has pushed them to release more known titles, to let them take chances on lesser known ones?

I've noticed this too. Don't know what to call it (a "mini-trend," perhaps), but they do seem to be doing this quite a bit lately.

Stagecoach had been rumored for a while as coming from the CC.

The French Lieutenant's Woman is a left-field pick that pleases me. I'll be watching for that one.