Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

More WB 4 Film Favorites Collections on the way

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-09, 12:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: More WB 4 Film Favorites Collections on the way

Originally Posted by starman9000
I might sell of my Batman's and Police Academies and upgrade to these.
If you mean the 2-disc versions of the Batman movies, don't sell them.

I looked at amazon.com and they had the back cover scan of the Batman set and from the look of it, they are the original bare bones DVDs that came in snapper cases before the 2-disc versions came out.
Old 07-16-09, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by snorlaxnut
If you mean the 2-disc versions of the Batman movies, don't sell them.

I looked at amazon.com and they had the back cover scan of the Batman set and from the look of it, they are the original bare bones DVDs that came in snapper cases before the 2-disc versions came out.
Wow, that is lame. The Superman 4 Film Favorites used the discs from the re-releases.
Old 09-15-09, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 612 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
That's definitely weird. I saw the American four-movie Vacation set in-store recently and it was not part of the "4 Film Favorites" line, and it was very expensive in comparison (perhaps they use the special edition discs?). It would be nice if the Canadian version offers the special features for even some of the films. Guess I'll have to see.
Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Again, as I posted above, if you look at the back cover on DVDEmpire, you can see through the UPC punch-hole that the DVD has the same cover as the Canadian 4 Film Favorites, so the American version is a 4 Film Favorites. There was a box set previously with the same name that might be more, however; I'm alking about the month-or-two-old single-case package.
I guess perhaps the Vacation set is overpriced because Warner would probably consider two of the titles top-selling, signature titles (the original and Christmas Vacation). Most of their other 4 Film Favorites could generally be said to be one major title and three distinctly less-popular inclusions.
Originally Posted by DRG
Interesting, especially since the other U.S. set has the same title but I believe is all snappers in a box (although they do seem to be the widescreen editions, and the SEs for the films that have them). Now I'm very curious what versions of the discs are in these sets.

Thought I'd revive this thread as I finally purchased the Vacation 4 Film Favourites collection today for $12.99CDN from HMV (none come with slipcovers, thankfully). I still think it's too high for one of these, considering the going rate for all the others, but the price was passable, I guess.

Here's the details normally hidden by the slipcover:

All four movies are widescreen.
VACATION, EUROPEAN VACATION and CHRISTMAS VACATION are the special editions.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I also noticed an Alliance "Quaruple Feature" today called The Jackie Chan Experience, which brings together four of his popular old New Line titles: RUMBLE IN THE BRONX, FIRST STRIKE, MR. NICE GUY and THUNDERBOLT. Price was $11.99 CDN. I can't find listings on Amazon.ca, so perhaps it's only available in stores for the time being. This is a pretty bare bones affair, with just the films, 2.0 stereo and no subs or extras. Audio options are only English and French, no subs, which is fine for NICE GUY because it was shot in English (the Cantonese bits are intact here), and for RUMBLE AND FIRST STRIKE, which were released in North America in English. The latter two weren't shot in English, though, and we'll probably never see the Chinese versions of those in Region 1 (thank god for my VCDs). Thunderbolt, however, IS available in Cantonese in Region 1, but here it's presented in English and French only. Definitely a notch or three down from the already average New Line versions, I'm afraid, but a cheap way to get familiarized with some of Chan's 90's works.
Old 09-15-09, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also noticed an Alliance "Quaruple Feature" today called The Jackie Chan Experience, which brings together four of his popular old New Line titles: RUMBLE IN THE BRONX, FIRST STRIKE, MR. NICE GUY and THUNDERBOLT. Price was $11.99 CDN. I can't find listings on Amazon.ca, so perhaps it's only available in stores for the time being. This is a pretty bare bones affair, with just the films, 2.0 stereo and no subs or extras. Audio options are only English and French, no subs, which is fine for NICE GUY because it was shot in English (the Cantonese bits are intact here), and for RUMBLE AND FIRST STRIKE, which were released in North America in English. The latter two weren't shot in English, though, and we'll probably never see the Chinese versions of those in Region 1 (thank god for my VCDs). Thunderbolt, however, IS available in Cantonese in Region 1, but here it's presented in English and French only. Definitely a notch or three down from the already average New Line versions, I'm afraid, but a cheap way to get familiarized with some of Chan's 90's works.
Are they in WS? Almost all of New Line's double features were FS-only, although a few WS have been done since they folded into WB.
Old 09-15-09, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know there is only 3 of these movies, but has anyone heard if WB will be putting the 3 Sidney Poitier and Bill Cosby's movies together? Uptown Saturday Night, Let's Do It Again, and A Piece of the Action. There is a double movie with USN and LDIA. Will they put all 3 together in one set?
Old 09-15-09, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Wow, that is lame. The Superman 4 Film Favorites used the discs from the re-releases.
I agree. I'm still debating if I want to buy the batman titles now. I was totally in when I thought they were the new masters and would port over at least the commentaries, but now I'm torn.
Old 09-16-09, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Are they in WS? Almost all of New Line's double features were FS-only, although a few WS have been done since they folded into WB.
All four are widescreen. I didn't realise the New Line double features were full screen. Are the likewise lacking 5.1? Not that it's a big loss on these titles, as few of them had it in the original language anyways, so losing a 5.1 English dub job is no great loss.

Interestingly, Alliance has trilogy sets up here for SCREAM, BLADE and AUSTIN POWERS, but all of those are fullscreen. Go figure.
Old 10-10-09, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ugh - the Batman 4 Film Favorites are indeed the ugly barebones original releases which were sold in snap cases - so don't buy!

The first Police Academy movie is the original Full-Screen barebones release, despite the back cover specs saying it is the Widescreen SE with commentaries and bonus features.

They need to exercise better care with these things!
Old 10-11-09, 07:39 AM

I was at Best Buy today and saw a "Dirty Harry: 4 Film Favorites." I was shocked because I haven't seen this for sale anywhere, haven't read anything about it on this forum, or seen it for sale anywhere online. Could this be a Best Buy exclusive? Has anyone else seen this?
Old 10-11-09, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Has anyone tried contacting Warner Bros about Police Academy? I hope it's a bad pressing and they'll fix it, I was going to get it, but I'm not so enthused about it now.
Old 10-11-09, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by cannon1
I was at Best Buy today and saw a "Dirty Harry: 4 Film Favorites." I was shocked because I haven't seen this for sale anywhere, haven't read anything about it on this forum, or seen it for sale anywhere online. Could this be a Best Buy exclusive? Has anyone else seen this?
I just picked up that Dirty Harry 4 pack yesterday at best buy for $9.99. Great deal. You get special features on all of the films. I was going to get the Ultimate Dirty Harry set but the price is to high. This set really saves you a lot of money. You don't get all the special features that are on the Ultimate set, but you get enough.

I remember seeing a Death Wish 4 pack at Walmart a while ago. Anyone have or remember this set? I like to get it, but can't find it anywhere.
Old 10-11-09, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by joltman
Has anyone tried contacting Warner Bros about Police Academy? I hope it's a bad pressing and they'll fix it, I was going to get it, but I'm not so enthused about it now.
I sent them a message on their generic website, but am still waiting for a reply.
Old 10-11-09, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Balboa1976
I just picked up that Dirty Harry 4 pack yesterday at best buy for $9.99. Great deal. You get special features on all of the films. I was going to get the Ultimate Dirty Harry set but the price is to high. This set really saves you a lot of money. You don't get all the special features that are on the Ultimate set, but you get enough.

I remember seeing a Death Wish 4 pack at Walmart a while ago. Anyone have or remember this set? I like to get it, but can't find it anywhere.
Unless something has changed, Paramount owns the first and MGM owns 2-4, so you would only see a Death Wish 3-pack, not a 4-pack.
Old 10-11-09, 06:05 PM

Unless something has changed, Paramount owns the first and MGM owns 2-4, so you would only see a Death Wish 3-pack, not a 4-pack.

You're right, it was Death Wish 2 - 4. The first one and the last one, Death Wish 5 I would have to pick up separate. I think the last one was called Faces of Death. You know the fourth Death Wish film is very good. The only one that really stinks is Death Wish 3. I would avoid that one at all costs.

Last edited by Balboa1976; 10-11-09 at 06:09 PM.
Old 10-27-09, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Another one coming up. Finally something with titles that haven't all been released before. From DVD Drive-In:

Warner Home Video Gets Baaad With URBAN ACTION!

Blaxploitation film fans rejoice! On January 12, Warner Home Video will release a “4 Film Favorites” DVD collection entitled URBAN ACTION. It will include four classic Blaxploitation films from the 1970s, presented here on DVD for the first time on this collection: BLACK BELT JONES (1974, starring Jim Kelly and Gloria Hendry), HOT POTATO (1976, starring Jim Kelly), BLACK SAMSON (1974, starring Rockne Tarkington, William Smith and Connie Strickland) and THREE THE HARD WAY (1974, starring Jim Brown, Fred Williamson and Jim Kelly). All four films will be presented in their original 1.85:1 aspect ratio with ananmorphic enhancement, and the DVD will retail for $9.95.
Hopefully this is a sign that some other sets are in the works. These are real space-savers!
Old 11-02-09, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Balboa1976

Got this Dirty Harry set on Saturday (Oct. 31) for $9.99 at a U.S. Best Buy as well. They have (or had) a bunch of them for $9.99. Not sure when the U.S. Best Buy sales start and end, or how long they run, but hopefully that's useful to someone. Great set for the price. I've never been that fond of the fifth one, so this set's ideal.
Old 11-02-09, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

WB Customer Service phoned me to say they are looking into the Police Academy issue, but probably not important enough for a recall.

Police Academy #1 is Open Matte in the 4 Film Favorites set and has trailers for all seven films.

Police Academy 20th Anniversary Special Edition is Anamorphic Widescreen with commentary, featurettes but only a trailer for the first movie. It's a good price ($5.79 at Amazon) if you want to buy it separately and slip it inside the 4-favorites set.
Old 11-02-09, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another one coming up. Finally something with titles that haven't all been released before. From DVD Drive-In:

Hopefully this is a sign that some other sets are in the works. These are real space-savers!

This is Great ,I have been looking for Three The Hard Way.
Old 11-02-09, 07:33 PM

So the Dirty Harry set is definitely the newer transfers?
Old 11-02-09, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^they're prob the 2000 transfers (which still look damn good)
Old 11-03-09, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kingtopher
So the Dirty Harry set is definitely the newer transfers?
Originally Posted by Rypro 525
^they're prob the 2000 transfers (which still look damn good)

Pretty sure these are the newer transfers. All four of these are the recent special editions. I'm listening to the audio commentaries at work today, and I can't imagine they'd marry the commentaries from the recent special editions (as well as virtually all of the bonus features) with the transfers from 2000. I gave one of them a quick check on my home DVD player last night, and to these eyes, they look a fair bit better than the old snapper-case versions. Just an ideal set for the price.
Old 11-03-09, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There is a Shaft 3 movie collection, but they should make a 4 w/ Sam Jackson version.
Old 11-03-09, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by hasslein
There is a Shaft 3 movie collection, but they should make a 4 w/ Sam Jackson version.
They can't, Jackson's Shaft is Paramount.
Old 11-03-09, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

whoa, I need to go find one of those Dirty Harry sets then. I love these collections, the Lethal Weapon release was perfect.
Old 11-03-09, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Warner Home Video Gets Baaad With URBAN ACTION!

Blaxploitation film fans rejoice! On January 12, Warner Home Video will release a “4 Film Favorites” DVD collection entitled URBAN ACTION. It will include four classic Blaxploitation films from the 1970s, presented here on DVD for the first time on this collection: BLACK BELT JONES (1974, starring Jim Kelly and Gloria Hendry), HOT POTATO (1976, starring Jim Kelly), BLACK SAMSON (1974, starring Rockne Tarkington, William Smith and Connie Strickland) and THREE THE HARD WAY (1974, starring Jim Brown, Fred Williamson and Jim Kelly). All four films will be presented in their original 1.85:1 aspect ratio with ananmorphic enhancement, and the DVD will retail for $9.95.

Woo Hoo! Thanks for this news, bro! Like Drake said, I would mostly get this just for 3/Hard Way.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.