More WB 4 Film Favorites Collections on the way

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-12, 01:11 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: More WB 4 Film Favorites Collections on the way

Originally Posted by skywalker8
I've bought a bunch of these sets and they always had 2 double-sided discs. I was very surprised to find 4 stacked discs in the Charleton Heston set when I received it the other day.

BTW, I really wish DVDAf would add these titles.
Yeah, I got the Final Destination collection during the recent DeepDiscount sale on these and was pleasantly surprised that it contained 4 individual DVD's (despite the packaging listing them as 2 flippers).

Are they just quietly switching these over to 4 DVD sets, or has it always been this way for this set and the packaging was just a misprint?

Last edited by sb5; 02-06-12 at 11:08 PM.
Old 02-06-12, 01:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That wouldn't surprise me, as the new 4-disc stacked disc cases offer a convenient way for Warners to get rid of excess stock.
It was weird seeing the March 2011 release of Mother Lode included in the August 2011 Heston collection. I wonder if that was their intention all along or if it sold really poorly.
Old 02-06-12, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, I'm thinking of getting the 2 Police Academy sets and the Critters set at DD while they are on sale (still .03 shy of free shipping). Anyway from my scanning of this thread this is true:

Police Academy 1, 4 and 5 are the FS side of the original flipper release.
Police Academy 2,3,6,7, Loaded Weapon are all WS with whatever special features they had on the orig. releases.

Critters is actually all 4 discs from the original releases.

Any other info about these discs. Thanks.
Old 02-06-12, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've bought a bunch of these sets and they always had 2 double-sided discs. I was very surprised to find 4 stacked discs in the Charleton Heston set when I received it the other day.

BTW, I really wish DVDAf would add these titles.
DVDAf is user contributed. You can add it if you like. I've added & contributed to some DVD listings.
Old 02-06-12, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
I'd like the Police Academy sets, but unfortunately the first and second movies still aren't in widescreen. That's why I'm not getting the complete set either. Same defective transfers.
Thanks all for pointing that out; I've been meaning to pick this up but will wait now till I see if WB fixes the mistake in the next pressing of these sets.

I'm not expecting them to do remastering of films when they're going in discount 4 packs however if there is a WS transfer out there I can hope they'll swap in the good one next time with ease.
Old 02-07-12, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Living Deadpan
DVDAf is user contributed. You can add it if you like. I've added & contributed to some DVD listings.
I know, and I've contributed many titles in the past. I just expected that these titles were popular enough and someone else would have added them around the release date.

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
Critters is actually all 4 discs from the original releases.
If that's what everyone's been receiving from DD, maybe... but the one I got a while back at a Target had two double-sided discs.
Old 02-08-12, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know, and I've contributed many titles in the past. I just expected that these titles were popular enough and someone else would have added them around the release date.
Multi-feature DVD sets can be tiresome to contribute. Gotta look up all the IMDB links & director names. After (partially) submitting the upcoming Anchor Bay 4-movie collection (Vlog/Medium Raw/Cyrus/Meskada), I decided I only wanted to submit single-title DVD premieres, heh. Apparently I'm not the only one who finds multi-feature reissues less gratifying to submit.

I guess I should salute those who have the patience to submit those 20+ movie Mill Creek bargain sets.
Old 02-08-12, 12:50 PM

Exactly - it takes a while. I submitted a bunch of the MGM multi-disc bargain sets that came out last year with 6-10 titles each. And there's still at least one set that I didn't submit yet. It just takes too long.

Some years ago I spent I-dont-know-how-long submitting the Total Movie Magazine 40-film set of public domain crap that came with the subscription. A single set with that many films was pretty rare at that time - it pre-dated those 50-film horror/action/sci-fi/etc sets from Mills Creek and other companies. So I figured it should be in the database and spent a lot of time submitting every requested detail. Even scanned the cover. And it was refused on the grounds that it was a freebie that came with a magazine subscription.
Old 02-08-12, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

That's annoying, I have that same set and wish it would show in my collection.
Old 02-08-12, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
Does anyone own the Critters set on two double sided discs? I'd like to know how many are out there correctly and which ones have 4 dvds stacked in the case.
I too have two double-sided discs. On the other hand, my copy of TCM Greatest Classic Movie Legends: Errol Flynn is four discs, so Warner is doing this wherever they can. Fine by me, one of the only ways these single-discs lose content is when WB only includes one side of a 2-sided disc. Odds are low I'll find any 4-discs with flippers, but now it's at least possible, and that's a plus in my book.

Last edited by tylergfoster; 02-08-12 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-08-12, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Exactly - it takes a while. I submitted a bunch of the MGM multi-disc bargain sets that came out last year with 6-10 titles each. And there's still at least one set that I didn't submit yet. It just takes too long.
...only for them to go OOP a year or so later! According to mcarver's out-of-print thread.

Fox did a terrible job with those, listing no information whatsoever on the back. I bought a couple of the "4 Horror Movies" ones. More expensive than the WB collections, completely unhelpful product descriptions. The retail prices were a ripoff, but now you can find some of them at clearance prices from Amazon 3rd Party Sellers.

Anywho, to atone for my off-topicness, here are the WB collections Amazon has listed for March 13th:

-Fantasy Thrillers (Constantine / V For Vendetta / The Wicker Man / The Fountain)
-George Clooney (Michael Clayton / Ocean's Eleven (2011) / The Perfect Storm / Three Kings)
-Tear Jerkers (The Time Traveler's Wife / White Oleander / Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood / My Sister's Keeper)
-Sandra Bullock (The Lake House/ Two Weeks Notice / Practical Magic / In Love and War)
Old 02-13-12, 07:25 PM

Aaahahaha, I recently ordered a bunch of these from wbshop.com. Tonight I wanted to watch Coma from the Michael Douglas set, so I put in the disc with Coma and Disclosure. It has Disclosure on both sides! And a crappy, 90s (production notes, cast bios) non-anamorphic version at that! Annoying and hilarious. Good thing I'm catching this about a week after receiving it (compared to my usual 8 years of not touching a Dvd before finally watching it) - I've already sent a note to customer service.

I just read the amazon reviews and both note the same problem.
Old 02-13-12, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Aaahahaha, I recently ordered a bunch of these from wbshop.com. Tonight I wanted to watch Coma from the Michael Douglas set, so I put in the disc with Coma and Disclosure. It has Disclosure on both sides! And a crappy, 90s (production notes, cast bios) non-anamorphic version at that! Annoying and hilarious. Good thing I'm catching this about a week after receiving it (compared to my usual 8 years of not touching a Dvd before finally watching it) - I've already sent a note to customer service.

I just read the amazon reviews and both note the same problem.
FYI, I own the 4FF Horror set (Wolfen/Body Snatchers/Coma/Bad Moon) and Coma plays fine on that.
Old 02-22-12, 01:37 PM

WBShop.com sent me a replacement... which had the exact same problem - the Disclosure/Coma disc has Disclosure on both sides. They have "escalated this issue to Corporate to confirm the content of the collection". Anxious to see how it's resolved.
Old 03-03-12, 09:52 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

June 26, 2012:

Old 03-04-12, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

Can't wait til they start doing these on Blu-Ray- the triple-features are a good start!
Old 03-04-12, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Texan26
June 26, 2012:

neat-o newest 4 Film Favorites set and I'm pass all of those!
Old 07-05-12, 08:51 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Six new ones October 16, 2012:

Slasher Films Collection
Martin Scorsese Collection
Holiday Comedy Collection
Meg Ryan Collection
Dangerous Beauties Collection
Holiday Family Collection
Old 07-06-12, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I ordered this directly from WB & was surprised to open it & discover it includes 4 separate discs, 1 for each movie. Has WB started doing this with all of their 4FF sets?
Old 07-06-12, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Living Deadpan
I ordered this directly from WB & was surprised to open it & discover it includes 4 separate discs, 1 for each movie. Has WB started doing this with all of their 4FF sets?
I think they are. Since I've seen earlier releases that had two double sided discs, now have 4 discs stuffed in the case, despite still being listed as 2 discs on the back. And looking at the back cover of the new Twisted Terror set on dvdempire.com, it says discs 1,2,3,4. So Warner is changing the specs to show there are 4 discs in the case instead of 2. So I'm assuming this is an unfortunate trend for them now with these releases. I wouldn't mind if the discs had separate holders from them, but being stacked on top of each other seems stupid to me and inconvenient.
Old 07-08-12, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Six new ones October 16, 2012:

Slasher Films Collection
Martin Scorsese Collection
Holiday Comedy Collection
Meg Ryan Collection
Dangerous Beauties Collection
Holiday Family Collection
thanks for the updates -- Im pass all of those except probably get Holiday Comedy Collection.
Old 08-31-12, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 608 Likes on 447 Posts

Came across a couple more of these tonight that may not have been available when those "six new ones" were posted a few weeks back, including:

Stanley Kubrick Collection (2001/Barry Lyndon/Shining/Eyes Wide Shut)
Gene Kelly Collection (Summer Stock/For Me and My Gal/On The Town/Invitation To The Dance)

They can be seen by clicking the link in the previous post.
Old 08-31-12, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by JohnnyMovie
neat-o newest 4 Film Favorites set and I'm pass all of those!
Seriously WTF does "Hairspray" have to do with "A Cinderella Story" at all?
Old 08-31-12, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
Came across a couple more of these tonight that may not have been available when those "six new ones" were posted a few weeks back, including:

Stanley Kubrick Collection (2001/Barry Lyndon/Shining/Eyes Wide Shut)
Gene Kelly Collection (Summer Stock/For Me and My Gal/On The Town/Invitation To The Dance)

They can be seen by clicking the link in the previous post.
I'd go for that Gene Kelly collection. I don't own For Me and My Gal, and Invitation to the Dance was only released as an Archive title.

Originally Posted by critterdvd
I think Hairspray can be considered a Cinderella story. I agree that they were trying to find something that fit with the others and anything would have been a little out there.
Old 08-31-12, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 608 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by critterdvd
They have mountains of both still laying around the warehouse and needed an arbitrary way to unload them?

Originally Posted by davidh777
I'd go for that Gene Kelly collection. I don't own For Me and My Gal, and Invitation to the Dance was only released as an Archive title.
Now that's interesting. Perhaps we'll see more worthy Archive titles sneaking onto "regular" DVD this way? The fact that certain recent Archive sets were released firstly on pressed discs makes me wonder if there's really much difference in cost between the two methods. I'm happy with either format, but getting an $9-$20 Archive title (depending on sale price) in a 4 Film set like this for around $10 total (eventually) is kinda cool. And the Kelly set appears to be two discs, rather than the standard four that these things have become known for as Warner tries to dump old stock.

Actually, some budget-priced Archive 4-Film Favourites would be nice to see, pressed or DVD-R, and could be compiled any number of interesting ways.

Last edited by Brian T; 08-31-12 at 08:18 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.