Reload this Page >

More WB 4 Film Favorites Collections on the way

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

More WB 4 Film Favorites Collections on the way

Old 06-27-10, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: More WB 4 Film Favorites Collections on the way

I can't wait for the Critters set, just preordered it....I had wanted to pick up the single disc releases, but this chops the price right down.

One question....are people in favor of the Police Academy box set, or have you been happy with the 2 4 disc releases?
Old 06-27-10, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't own any Police Academy but I can tell you I would prefer the 4-film favs to the box set, saves on shelf space
Old 06-27-10, 09:55 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like the Police Academy sets, but unfortunately the first and second movies still aren't in widescreen. That's why I'm not getting the complete set either. Same defective transfers.
Old 06-27-10, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
I'd like the Police Academy sets, but unfortunately the first and second movies still aren't in widescreen. That's why I'm not getting the complete set either. Same defective transfers.
It was 3 and 4 that weren't in Widescreen. If these sets have only the first and second in full frame then technically by buying this set and the first two movies separately you'd have all of them in their intended ratios.
Old 06-28-10, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

That Cult Thrillers set is very appealing. Ninth Configuration has been OOP for a while, so getting that for $10 and 3 other good movies is a solid deal.
Old 06-28-10, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

The biggest issue with the Police Academy film favorites that the first movie is supposed to be the widescreen special edition (with commentary and featurette), but instead it is the original full screen release.
Old 06-28-10, 12:05 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by mcfly
It was 3 and 4 that weren't in Widescreen. If these sets have only the first and second in full frame then technically by buying this set and the first two movies separately you'd have all of them in their intended ratios.
Are you saying that 3 and 4 were intended to be seen in fullscreen?
Old 06-28-10, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, I thought the 1st Police Academy being the old full-frame non-SE was the only packaging error. Are any others in FS?
Old 06-28-10, 01:23 PM

All of the solo DVD releases are widescreen except 4, 5 and the original release of 1. I can't imagine they made any new transfers for this, so that means that 1, 4 and 5 are full screen and 2, 3, 6 and 7 are widescreen.
Old 07-05-10, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received an email that the Critters 4 pack got moved up a couple weeks to September 8th I think.
Old 07-11-10, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
a Martial Arts pack (Rumble in the Bronx, The Corruptor, Showdown in Little Tokyo, and Bloodsport).
Picked this up today for $5 used at Movie Stop. Both disc are just from previous 'Action Double features' so Rumble and Corruptor are fullscreen, despite the case saying Wide.
Old 07-12-10, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by stingermck
Picked this up today for $5 used at Movie Stop. Both disc are just from previous 'Action Double features' so Rumble and Corruptor are fullscreen, despite the case saying Wide.
DAMN IT. Thanks for saving me at least $10 though.
Old 07-12-10, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
DAMN IT. Thanks for saving me at least $10 though.
Yeah it sucked because I had already traded my copy of Rumble, and I've never owned Corrupter.

Only thing that takes the sting out, is MS was having a buy 3 get 1 free, so I picked that up along with 4 film Lethal Weapon, and both Nightmares for $20 total.
Old 07-12-10, 09:27 AM

Man, WB doesn't seem to have a good track record of having the correct specs on the covers of these 4 Film Favorites. In addition to Police Academy and the Martial Arts pack, weren't there a couple others with issues?
Old 07-12-10, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

For anyone who bought the Lethal Weapon 4 Film Favorites...Is LW4 missing the Pure Lethal Behind the Scenes featurette and the deleted scenes? I just sold off my Lethal Weapon Triple Feature Set and Lethal Weapon 4 Premiere Collection DVD that I got free with my 1st DVD player to get that nice compact set. Otherwise, I may have to get the 4 new Lethal Weapon keepcases that were recently released.

And yes, I got screwed over by the Police Academy 4 Film Favorites that I got from Deepdiscount recenlty. I sold off my Police Academy special edition to get that set since it said is had the same bonus material as the SE in order to get 2-4 as well. And low and behold it was foolscreen and featureless.

Last edited by DJariya; 07-12-10 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-12-10, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
For anyone who bought the Lethal Weapon 4 Film Favorites...Is LW4 missing the Pure Lethal Behind the Scenes featurette and the deleted scenes? I just sold off my Lethal Weapon Triple Feature Set and Lethal Weapon 4 Premiere Collection DVD that I got free with my 1st DVD player to get that nice compact set. Otherwise, I may have to get the 4 new Lethal Weapon keepcases that were recently released.
I believe the features on the flip-side of the original LW4 disc are not included in the 4 Film Favorites set. I haven't popped mine in yet, but I remember reading that somewhere else.

BTW, I've noticed the LW4 keepcases at Big Lots lately, although I think they may have been the $5 pricepoint.
Old 07-12-10, 12:58 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 669 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Checking our database here (see sig), yes. The stuff on side 2 of the LW4 release is missing. They are on the menu, with the message to please flip the disc over, but that's where LW3 is of course.
Old 09-07-10, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Critters shipped.
Old 09-07-10, 06:00 PM

WB has also released a 4 Film Favorites today for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. It includes the original live-action trilogy (The Movie, Secret of the Ooze, Turtles in Time), the TMNT 2007 CG movie, as well as all the special features from the individual releases. Saw it over at Target for $11.99 today.
Old 09-07-10, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Was just looking at ^that on Amazon....Might snag that since I don't want the BR pizza box for $60 bucks.
Old 09-07-10, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,387 Likes on 1,018 Posts

Originally Posted by PrometheusUFO
WB has also released a 4 Film Favorites today for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. It includes the original live-action trilogy (The Movie, Secret of the Ooze, Turtles in Time), the TMNT 2007 CG movie, as well as all the special features from the individual releases. Saw it over at Target for $11.99 today.
I haven't looked at this thread in ages, and I don't know why I clicked just now, but I'm certainly glad I did. Do they say widescreen? Pretty sure all the previous DVDs were WS, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks for posting.
Old 09-07-10, 08:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I haven't looked at this thread in ages, and I don't know why I clicked just now, but I'm certainly glad I did. Do they say widescreen? Pretty sure all the previous DVDs were WS, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks for posting.
If I recall, the original releases had both aspect ratios on them so it is possible they could screw this up, ala Police Academy.
Old 09-07-10, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by mdnitoil
If I recall, the original releases had both aspect ratios on them so it is possible they could screw this up, ala Police Academy.
I should have looked closer at the back cover. But according to Amazon's product description (as well as wbshop itself), it claims TMNT2 & 3 are in both widescreen & fullscreen while 1 & 4 are widescreen, just like the original releases. But weren't 2 & 3 flippers (haven't looked at my copies in a little while)? :/

http://www.amazon.com/Teenage-Mutant...dp/B003PIUIJ2/

Last edited by PrometheusUFO; 09-07-10 at 11:13 PM.
Old 09-08-10, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by joltman
Man, WB doesn't seem to have a good track record of having the correct specs on the covers of these 4 Film Favorites. In addition to Police Academy and the Martial Arts pack, weren't there a couple others with issues?
There was also a WB double feature of The Fugitive and U.S. Marshals, which lists a bunch of extras that are on the non-existent flipside of U.S. Marshals, and a Lawnmower Man double feature that listed all specs for both movies plus WS versions of both, when the disc was the two-full-frame-transfers-on-a-one-sided-disc version that New Line put out.
Old 09-08-10, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by PrometheusUFO

Is this basically the same set as the (non anniversary) collection already out with all four in it? I picked that up for 10 bucks a week or two ago.

You save some space with the FFF version but on the "flip" side (groan)...they are flippers whereas the collection is not.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.