Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume XI

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume XI

Old 09-05-09, 08:28 AM
  #601  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,466
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume XI

Originally Posted by BullGooseLoony View Post
Can anyone tell me if there are any easter eggs on the TNA Lockdwon 2009 DVD, and what they are? I tried googling it, and found nothing, but I know TNA is usually pretty clever about these kinds of things. Thanks.
Anyone?
Old 09-05-09, 01:10 PM
  #602  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: London, England
Posts: 518
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume XI

Originally Posted by BullGooseLoony View Post
You wouldn't be able to include all those matches, especially given that quite a few of them suck:

Triple H Vs Kevin Nash - Judgment Day 2003
Triple H Vs Shawn Michaels - Taboo Tuesday 2004
Batista Vs JBL - Great American Bash 2005
Rey Mysterio Vs King Booker - Great American Bash 2006
King Booker Vs Batista - Summerslam 2006

But the more I think about it, the more I'm seriously thinking that since they specified "world championship," that it would have to be about WWE's title, and not the WCW Championship.

But then again, given how bad WCW (even in its heydey), how many matches could they possibly include, anyway?
Triple H Vs Kevin Nash from Judgment Day might have sucked, even though when Nash jacknife powerbombed Hunter through the announcers table didn't, and I belive their Bad Blood match is on the Hell In A Cell DVD, but their Insurrextion match is a great match and hasn't been released since the actual ppv was in 2003. I hope it starts with the WCW title.
Old 09-05-09, 04:41 PM
  #603  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 186
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume XI

The last two times WWE released History of Titles; they had surveys to select the matches for the sets; so maybe there will be survey up on wwe.com in the next few weeks.
Old 09-05-09, 08:57 PM
  #604  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Queens, New York
Posts: 1,383
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume XI

Finally watched Rise and Fall of WCW and I enjoyed it enough to not say it wasn't a bad doc but it severely lacked. I didn't think Bischoff would be missed since they had so much footage of him discussing wcw's rise/fall but I wish they would have included him or at least the story on how he tries to save it/buy it towards the end. Bischoff discussed that during The Monday Night Wars Legends of wrestling segment's.
Old 09-05-09, 09:56 PM
  #605  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: WWE Home Video Library
Posts: 191
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume XI

A little late but here are some my New Pickups:

The Rise & Fall of WCW 2-Pack Bestbuy Exclusive


Magazine Ad Flyer of Rise & Fall of WCW Exclusive


Got an extra one for a gift to my friend who still to this day is a big old-school WCW Mark & can't accept the company is no longer around.

Non WWE DVD Pickups:
Some Rare Jakks WWE Factory Reject Figures sold in Various Flea Markets here.

1 of 100 Toyfare Exclusive Roddy Pixer Boxing Attire Figure

*no boxing attire/accesories included

1 of 1000 Rocky Bronze Statue Exclusive Figure


1 of 3000 Toyfare Exclusive Hulk Hogan Figure


Thanks for Looking!
Old 09-05-09, 11:44 PM
  #606  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 133
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume XI

Originally Posted by md2810 View Post
The last two times WWE released History of Titles; they had surveys to select the matches for the sets; so maybe there will be survey up on wwe.com in the next few weeks.

I really do enjoy that concept, talk about fan interaction, good job vince or whoever came up with that one!
Old 09-06-09, 12:45 AM
  #607  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 123
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume XI

If they are gonna do the history of the World Title dvd it may look more like this than anything

Triple H vs. Ric Flair from the Raw where Triple H was award the Title
Triple H vs. Kane - Title vs. Title match from No Mercy
Triple H vs. Goldberg from Unforgiven
Triple H vs. Shawn Michaels from Royal Rumble in the last man standing match
Triple H vs. Randy Orton from Unforgiven
Triple H vs. Batista from Backlash
Batista vs. JBL from Summerslam or the bullrope match on Smackdown, one of them will probably be on it
Kurt Angle vs. Undertaker from No Way Out
Rey Mysterio vs. JBL from Judgment Day
Batista vs. King Booker from Survivor Series
Batista vs. The Undertaker from Smackdown where Edge cashes in the money in the back right after
Edge vs. Batista at Judgment Day
Batista vs. Khali from No Mercy
Edge vs. Batista vs. Undertaker from Armageddon
Edge vs. Undertaker from One Night Stand in the TLC match
CM Punk vs. JBL from Summerslam
Chris Jericho vs. Shawn Michaels from No Mercy in the ladder match
Chris Jericho vs. John Cena from Survivor Series
John Cena vs. Edge from Backlash
Jeff Hardy vs. Edge from Extreme Rules with CM Punk cashing in the money in the bank right after
CM Punk vs. Jeff Hardy from Summerslam

I mean let's be honest here, when the WWE does a best of you know that it's gonna be the most random and bizarre matches. My list will probably come pretty close to the actual dvd. I know that no way could they put Elimination Chamber matches on the dvd, i believe most of them ran 45 minutes, that would take up too much on the dvd. It would be nice if they did what they did for the History of the WWE Title though and have a section where you can watch every match where it changed hands. Cause they can easily show Benoit winning it and losing it in that without there being any real problem.

Also the Benoit thing definitely sucks, because i know that the one World Title match they could have put on was the Iron Man Match between Benoit and Triple H on Raw back in 2004. Or even the Vengeance match with them going one on one. Oh well. Or then again, if you have all the World Title matches you could just make your own History of the World Title dvds for fun.
Old 09-06-09, 03:42 AM
  #608  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: London, England
Posts: 518
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume XI

Originally Posted by jammer311 View Post
If they are gonna do the history of the World Title dvd it may look more like this than anything

Triple H vs. Ric Flair from the Raw where Triple H was award the Title
Triple H vs. Kane - Title vs. Title match from No Mercy
Triple H vs. Goldberg from Unforgiven
Triple H vs. Shawn Michaels from Royal Rumble in the last man standing match
Triple H vs. Randy Orton from Unforgiven
Triple H vs. Batista from Backlash
Batista vs. JBL from Summerslam or the bullrope match on Smackdown, one of them will probably be on it
Kurt Angle vs. Undertaker from No Way Out
Rey Mysterio vs. JBL from Judgment Day
Batista vs. King Booker from Survivor Series
Batista vs. The Undertaker from Smackdown where Edge cashes in the money in the back right after
Edge vs. Batista at Judgment Day
Batista vs. Khali from No Mercy
Edge vs. Batista vs. Undertaker from Armageddon
Edge vs. Undertaker from One Night Stand in the TLC match
CM Punk vs. JBL from Summerslam
Chris Jericho vs. Shawn Michaels from No Mercy in the ladder match
Chris Jericho vs. John Cena from Survivor Series
John Cena vs. Edge from Backlash
Jeff Hardy vs. Edge from Extreme Rules with CM Punk cashing in the money in the bank right after
CM Punk vs. Jeff Hardy from Summerslam

I mean let's be honest here, when the WWE does a best of you know that it's gonna be the most random and bizarre matches. My list will probably come pretty close to the actual dvd. I know that no way could they put Elimination Chamber matches on the dvd, i believe most of them ran 45 minutes, that would take up too much on the dvd. It would be nice if they did what they did for the History of the WWE Title though and have a section where you can watch every match where it changed hands. Cause they can easily show Benoit winning it and losing it in that without there being any real problem.

Also the Benoit thing definitely sucks, because i know that the one World Title match they could have put on was the Iron Man Match between Benoit and Triple H on Raw back in 2004. Or even the Vengeance match with them going one on one. Oh well. Or then again, if you have all the World Title matches you could just make your own History of the World Title dvds for fun.
No, becuase the Summerslam 2009 match between Jeff Hardy & CM Punk will be put on the upcoming Jeff Hardy DVD. Hardy Vs Edge with CM Punk cashing in MITB could be put on their from Extreme Rules.
Old 09-06-09, 07:52 AM
  #609  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 68
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume XI

Nobody's mentioned the fantastic match between HHH and HBK on the last Raw of 2003?

Some might take offense to what I'm about to say, but they might need to hear it. The match listings you are predicting will be on the WHC DVD suck. I've seen about 5 TV matches. Pretty much every WHC match on PPV is still readily available to purchase on the original PPV DVD. If this set is going to be released, they really need to include 1) Classic NWA and WCW matches since the belt was inspired by the belt used then, and 2) As many TV/unreleased matches as they can. It gets tiring seeing matches that are already on multiple DVD's being released again.

Which makes me want to send a list of matches already released to WWE so they don't keep putting them out. I got annoyed at Perfect/Hart being on 4 sets (and it's probably my favorite match) but I really got pissed off when I counted 11 of (I believe) the 17 matches on Piper's DVD are available elsewhere.

Rant over.
Old 09-06-09, 08:36 AM
  #610  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,466
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume XI

Originally Posted by TehOH1 View Post
Some might take offense to what I'm about to say, but they might need to hear it. The match listings you are predicting will be on the WHC DVD suck.
So did the match listing for "The New & Improved DX," but that didn't stop them from including just about every DX match from 2006.
Old 09-06-09, 10:46 AM
  #611  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: London, England
Posts: 518
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume XI

Originally Posted by TehOH1 View Post
Nobody's mentioned the fantastic match between HHH and HBK on the last Raw of 2003?

Some might take offense to what I'm about to say, but they might need to hear it. The match listings you are predicting will be on the WHC DVD suck. I've seen about 5 TV matches. Pretty much every WHC match on PPV is still readily available to purchase on the original PPV DVD. If this set is going to be released, they really need to include 1) Classic NWA and WCW matches since the belt was inspired by the belt used then, and 2) As many TV/unreleased matches as they can. It gets tiring seeing matches that are already on multiple DVD's being released again.

Which makes me want to send a list of matches already released to WWE so they don't keep putting them out. I got annoyed at Perfect/Hart being on 4 sets (and it's probably my favorite match) but I really got pissed off when I counted 11 of (I believe) the 17 matches on Piper's DVD are available elsewhere.

Rant over.
I've already said that, and thats why I am hoping for it to be from 1993 I believe when the WCW World Heavwyeight Championship was introduced. And the Triple H Vs Shawn Michaels match from Raw was included in the Triple H King Of Kings DVD.
Old 09-06-09, 10:59 AM
  #612  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,566
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume XI

Originally Posted by dillkid View Post
I've already said that, and thats why I am hoping for it to be from 1993 I believe when the WCW World Heavwyeight Championship was introduced. And the Triple H Vs Shawn Michaels match from Raw was included in the Triple H King Of Kings DVD.
Actually the HBK vs HHH match from Dec. 2003 was on the HBK: Heartbreak and Triumph DVD.

The only HBK vs. HHH match from the King of Kings DVD is the 3 Stages of Hell from Armageddon 2002.
Old 09-06-09, 11:54 AM
  #613  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 239
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume XI

Thanks for posting Throwback, always love looking at your pics.
Old 09-06-09, 01:36 PM
  #614  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: London, England
Posts: 518
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume XI

Originally Posted by sg2386 View Post
Actually the HBK vs HHH match from Dec. 2003 was on the HBK: Heartbreak and Triumph DVD.

The only HBK vs. HHH match from the King of Kings DVD is the 3 Stages of Hell from Armageddon 2002.
Oh yes thats wright. I got that mixed up becuase I recently bought them both together.
Old 09-06-09, 08:35 PM
  #615  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 399
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume XI

Can I get a list of all the "WWF Attitude" dvds? And also a list of all the Diva dvds? Thank ya much.

And Throwback can you link me to the direct page that you have the rare/variant dvd section?

Last edited by Aces_High; 09-06-09 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-06-09, 09:28 PM
  #616  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 11,974
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume XI

Originally Posted by Aces_High View Post
Can I get a list of all the "WWF Attitude" dvds? And also a list of all the Diva dvds? Thank ya much.
The first post of the thread should have the list that you want.
Old 09-06-09, 10:45 PM
  #617  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bellport, NY
Posts: 751
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume XI

Originally Posted by Aces_High View Post
Can I get a list of all the "WWF Attitude" dvds? And also a list of all the Diva dvds? Thank ya much.

And Throwback can you link me to the direct page that you have the rare/variant dvd section?
There's 12 Attitude Collection DVDs:

Austin vs. McMahon
Austin 3:16
Best of Raw Vol. 1
Best of Survivor Series 1987-1997
Best of Wrestlemania I-XIV
Eve of Destruction
Rock Bottom: IYH
The Rock: Know Your Role
The Three Faces of Foley
TLC - Tables, Ladders and Chairs
Undertaker: The Phenom
Unforgiven: IYH

and 10 (11 if you count the Collector's Edition Trish Stratus) Divas DVDs:

Divas in Hedonism
Divas: Tropical Pleasure
Divas Undressed
Divas: Desert Heat
Divas: South of the Border
$250,000 RAW Diva Search
Viva Las Divas
Divas Do New York
Lita: It Just Feels Right
Trish Stratus: 100% Stratusfaction Guaranteed (Regular and Collector's Edition)

Last edited by DerangedHermit; 09-06-09 at 10:50 PM.
Old 09-07-09, 08:23 PM
  #618  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Quack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Flo Rida
Posts: 7,060
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume XI

Do most users here just buy their wrestling DVD's in store? Anyone ever use WWEShop? Positive or negative thoughts on it?
Old 09-08-09, 03:15 AM
  #619  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 68
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume XI

I usually buy at the store, but I've bought probably 4 or 5 off of WWE Shop, but it was in 2004/2005. It said it would take (I think) 7-10 business days, and would get there beforehand. I think if you pre-order a good length of time before release date, you'll get it day of release, maybe before.
Old 09-08-09, 03:16 AM
  #620  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 68
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume XI

Originally Posted by BullGooseLoony View Post
So did the match listing for "The New & Improved DX," but that didn't stop them from including just about every DX match from 2006.
How were they supposed to do a DVD on the new DX without new DX stuff? And I wouldn't say it sucked because most were TV matches, and even included what happened during commercial breaks. Beats buying a DVD with every match readily available elsewhere.
Old 09-08-09, 07:54 AM
  #621  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,466
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume XI

Originally Posted by TehOH1 View Post
How were they supposed to do a DVD on the new DX without new DX stuff? And I wouldn't say it sucked because most were TV matches, and even included what happened during commercial breaks. Beats buying a DVD with every match readily available elsewhere.
Because a lot of the stuff on the DX set is barely filler. Was it really necessary to see HBK fight The Coach? Or The McMahons take out Eugene.

Not to mention, look at the match listing for Batista's set: more than half of the matches are from ppvs, all of which are still regularly available.

Just because they're available on other DVDs doesn't mean that people own all of them: I myself can name a bunch of matches that belong on the set, would hate to see since I already own the ppvs.
Old 09-08-09, 09:13 AM
  #622  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,466
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume XI

Decided to do a little late 2003 ppv marathon. It's one of my favorite times in wrestling, since I got back into it in June '03 and by the fall I was hooked. So I watched SummerSlam, Unforgiven, and Survivor Series. Enjoy my typically lengthy reviews:

SummerSlam 2003

This ppv gets a bad rap, for reasons that I both understand and disagree with. I think the big problem is that it was following arguably the best SummerSlam ever (2002), but it did make some mistakes on its own. It's still way better than the 2004 edition. You know, the one with Eugene in one of the main events, a 13-minute Eddie Guerrero/Kurt Angle match, and a forced Randy Orton main-event face turn? Anyhoo, here's my review:

La Resistance vs. The Dudley Boyz
The crowd was into this one. And because it was kept short, they were into it the entire time. Solid tag-team wrestling, easily could have been on RAW. I have no problem with the dirty ending, but this match feels like it would have been better suited to go on second, where that kind of ending isn't such a downer. Ironically, it would set the tone for the end of the night.

**3/4

The Undertaker vs. A-Train
I always found A-Train very under-rated. He had suprisingly athletic, fast-paced matches with other big men (Kane, Test) but really held his own and kept up with little guys like Benoit, Edge, etc. This is a very good "big man" match. It's all action, no let-up, a couple of near-falls, and just about the perfect length. It would've been nice to see more come of A-Train, but this match was definitely a highlight of his.

***1/4

Shane McMahon vs. Eric Bischoff
Let's be honest here: this match never belonged on a ppv in the first place. I can only assume that it was made when Triple H/Goldberg was changed into an 6-man elmination chamber match, leaving a spot open on the card. You have two options: look at it like a match, which would be a mistake, or look at like a segment, which would be very entertaining. For Coach's heel turn, Austin's interference, and the manner in which stuns Coach and Bischoff, not to mention some nice retribution, this was a very entertaning segment.

***

Eddie Guerrero vs. Chris Benoit vs. Rhyno vs. Tajiri
THIS should have been the opener. Two 1-on-1 matches going on at the same time, then various triple-threat matches, and one big 4-way. All of these guys have great chemistry with each other, and there was great athleticism all around. It's a shame it couldn't go much longer.

***1/2

Kurt Angle vs. Brock Lesnar
A lot of people say this wasn't as good as their WM match. A lot of people say it's better. Depends on your tastes, because this was a completely different match in more ways than one: the roles were reversed, the heel was much more violent here, and this one had brawling, and some very fitting interference at the end. I think I prefer this match because it's a great match AND it's great entertainment, and the finish is more suspensful, but Brock's botched shooting star press will sway that kind of decision.

****

Rob Van Dam vs. Kane
I have never been able to get into this match. This was a typical RVD affair, where every stunned gasp was followed by an awkward period of silence. There were some good gasps, and some very lengthy quiet periods. I can only assume that following Angle/Lesnar was a bad idea. It makes no sense that this would follow that, other than to deflate the crowd for the main event. The crowd was quiet, for the most part, I understand why. This match just never got out of first gear. Kane's tombstone piledriver on the steel steps at the end was also terrible, since you could clearly see that RVD's head came nowhere near the steps.

**3/4

Triple H vs. Goldberg vs. Chris Jericho vs. HBK vs. Randy Orton vs. Kevin Nash
I'll always have a soft-spot for this match. Sure, it's a barrel full of missed opportunities, the talent is a big step down from the first, and it's probably one of the least of the Elimination Chamber matches, but it's also got a lot to enjoy: HBK and Y2J chain wrestling, Kevin Nash actually looking like a monster, Goldberg evoking memories of his WCW days when he just came in cleaned house, and a great finish. Everyone put over Goldberg big time here, and even though people bitch about HHH not dropping the title, it made sense in the worst way. Goldberg looked like a real threat, and we got a surprise ending.

This end reminded me of the main-event of WM 2000, where everyone wanted The Rock or Mick Foley to win so badly, and groaned in disgust as HHH retained. It's a good kind of groan.

***1/2

Overall: ***3/4

A very good card. Great two great main events, solid undercard, and not a bad match. Under-rated, and entertaining.

Later I'll review Unforgiven and Survivor Series.
Old 09-08-09, 05:17 PM
  #623  
DVD Talk Legend
 
EdTheRipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 15,516
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
Re: Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume XI

Originally Posted by Quack View Post
Do most users here just buy their wrestling DVD's in store? Anyone ever use WWEShop? Positive or negative thoughts on it?
I've used WWEShop in the past and had absolutely no problems at all.
Old 09-08-09, 05:41 PM
  #624  
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume XI

Any word if Wal-mart is going to have an exclusive disc for Smack Down set next week?
Old 09-08-09, 06:10 PM
  #625  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,326
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume XI

Originally Posted by LegenDpop View Post
Any word if Wal-mart is going to have an exclusive disc for Smack Down set next week?
It doesn't look like they will.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.