Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume XI

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume XI

Old 08-30-09, 02:19 AM

Re: Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume XI

If I was in charge of WCW in 1999, I would have moved Nitro to tuesdays, and Thunder to wednesdays or fridays.
Old 08-30-09, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by stingermck View Post
Just watched WCW and its a cruel reminder how much of my interest in wrestling died with WCW.

I think Jeff Jarret was treated a little harshly. In the final days, him and Booker T were carrying the company the best they could, IMO

He's the TNA flag bearer, that's why. And don't forget that he held Vince up for money. I never understood the Jarrett push - he was never really over and always felt like he was being shoved down fans throats. Not terribly charismatic or that great of a worker either.
Old 08-30-09, 10:19 AM

Anyhow, the WCW dvd is just another example of history being written by the winners. It would have to be an outside of WWE produced affair (like the Heroes of World Class or Forever Hardcore) to be more daring and thought provoking. It was interesting that they spent most of the documentary just talking about the organization and how it was run and then delving into the 'dive' aspect in the roughly last twenty minutes. Add the Flair and Jim Herd fiasco to the list of 'things that should have been discussed but weren't'. The doc could have been MUCH longer considering that there were just a few interview snippets to round out the DVD. At least we have a bunch of classic matches to enjoy though.
Old 08-30-09, 10:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dillkid View Post
If I was in charge of WCW in 1999, I would have moved Nitro to tuesdays, and Thunder to wednesdays or fridays.
The problem wasn't the days WCW product was televised, it was the idiots backstage running the thing. Bischoff should have had more control of things backstage and have more long term planning. Russo and Ferrera should have never been hired. Kevin Nash should have been given booking power. All those things ruined WCW.
Old 08-30-09, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by dx23 View Post
The problem wasn't the days WCW product was televised, it was the idiots backstage running the thing. Bischoff should have had more control of things backstage and have more long term planning. Russo and Ferrera should have never been hired. Kevin Nash should have been given booking power. All those things ruined WCW.
I agree, but Nitro could have re-grouped by moving to Tuesdays, whilst they regained control of things and made it a better show, like when they moved Thunder from thursdays to wednesdays, because of Smackdown.
Old 08-30-09, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

Originally Posted by dx23 View Post
Contracts as well. You can't run an empire when you keep giving away pieces of it.

I also feel that if they focused on putting Vince out of business, it would have stayed around longer. TNA now has the mantra of "how much worse can we be than the WWE." And after watching Impact re-runs yesterday, the answer is a lot.

The wrestling world needs another ECW...fringe wrestling as it were. Might get Vince to pay attention again.
Old 08-30-09, 11:41 AM

bischoff was a genius, fans claim vince is the real genius and bischoff stole ideas, its funny how when vince steals wcw and ecw stuff he is called a genuis and bischoff gets no credit

attitude started in wcw with the nwo and the fresh cruiserweights, it was not until after they took over the ratings vince was forced to follow and in a sense copy from wcw, bischoff made himself a character long before the screwjob yet vince gets all the credit

wcw failed cause nobody cared about wrestling besides turner, eric did not want to do thunder and was forced to be more PG, im sure he made some mistakes just like everybody does including vince mcmahon, but wcw would still be around today if they gave him more control and let him run the company his way, making nash the booker and giving hogan creative control didnt help much either, there was alot of crap backstage in wcw, ego's that were not team players like nash/hogan and managament that never gave a dam about wcw and wanted it off tbs/tnt

bischoff was the guy who changed wrestling forever and deserves the credit for the attitude era along with paul heyman(who might be better than both mcmahon and eric) not vince, vince just followed suit, if vince is the god of wrestling how come he ruined the invasion angle and since wcw/ecw was bought out wrestling has not been the same?

p.s.macnorton i think tna should not worry about wwe, nor wcw/ecw shouldnt, focus on your own product, maybe keep an eye out for what there doing but focus on how to make your own product better, bischoff coming out on a harley and bragging how he beat raw in ratings i think was a mistake
Old 08-30-09, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought this thread was supposed to be about wrestling dvds.
Old 08-30-09, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper View Post
I thought this thread was supposed to be about wrestling dvds.
You're correct lol
Old 08-30-09, 02:20 PM

So over than to get soem more money out of us, why do think WWE Home Video intends to release another Jeff Hardy DVD, when the Hardyz DVD was released last year?
Old 08-30-09, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Because Hardy has since then become a main-eventer a SmackDown, and has headlined ppvs with HHH, Edge, and CM Punk.
Old 08-30-09, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by BullGooseLoony View Post
Because Hardy has since then become a main-eventer a SmackDown, and has headlined ppvs with HHH, Edge, and CM Punk.
But those macthes are already available on DVD, so why is he getting a dvd, and Chris Jericho isn't?

Does anyone know anywhere good online where I can buy New Japan & Noah dvds, that can be shipped and work in the uk?
Old 08-30-09, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone know if Summerslam 2009 will be released on Blu-ray here in North America? or is it another UK exclusive like Royal Rumble?
Old 08-30-09, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by macnorton View Post
- Wish there was more focus on the cruiserweights when Nitro was in it's prime.
I was just happy to get some mention of the importance of the cruiserweights and luchadores considering all Vince cares about are big guys. I watched WCW for a lot of the great cruiserweight action, not the overrated nWo bullcrap that they beat to death way too long. I'd love to see a cruiserwights/luchadores DVD set covering their WCW glory days. Hell, I wish Vince would bring back WCW now as World Cruiserweight Wrestling and give the smaller guys like Jamie Noble and Hurricane Helms a real place to shine on their own show.
Old 08-30-09, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

But those macthes are already available on DVD, so why is he getting a dvd, and Chris Jericho isn't?
My guess, and by "guess" I mean" hope" is that it will have matches from TV that are not available on DVD, like his match with HBK, a couple of matches with HHH, Edge, perhaps even his most recent with Punk.
Old 08-30-09, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by BullGooseLoony View Post
My guess, and by "guess" I mean" hope" is that it will have matches from TV that are not available on DVD, like his match with HBK, a couple of matches with HHH, Edge, perhaps even his most recent with Punk.
That would be worth releasing/buying. It's a shame they won't do somethign like that with Batista's DVD, as I think they are all ppv matches.
Old 08-30-09, 04:47 PM

Reading posts about the recent History Of WCW DVD that just came out recently, it sounds like it's worth a buy? I'm definetly interested in it. Where could I find it cheap, anyone?
Old 08-30-09, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does anyone know anywhere good online where I can buy New Japan & Noah dvds, that can be shipped and work in the uk?
Because Jeff Hardy Is official gone from the company and they are hoping to squeeze one last dime off his name. Jericho will get his dvd, I agree it's long overdue but what can you do.
Old 08-30-09, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by unskilledgymrat View Post
Reading posts about the recent History Of WCW DVD that just came out recently, it sounds like it's worth a buy? I'm definetly interested in it. Where could I find it cheap, anyone?
Well the best buy 17.99 price ended yesterday, you can get it at Walmart or KMart for 19.99.
Old 08-30-09, 10:15 PM

did jeff hardy ever face hbk 1 one 1 before?wasnt it rey who faced shawn at eddie's tribute show, i cant remember?also how good were both matches?
Old 08-31-09, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by chuckliddell View Post
did jeff hardy ever face hbk 1 one 1 before?wasnt it rey who faced shawn at eddie's tribute show, i cant remember?also how good were both matches?
I think Jeff Hardy faced Shawn Michaels on 1 of the 3 Hour Raw Shows in the past 2 years. I think they also faced eachother in either January or February 2003 on Raw, before Jeff left the first time.
Old 08-31-09, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by chuckliddell View Post
The only 1-on-1 match they've ever had was on RAW in February 2008, right before No Way Out. They were given 20 minutes, and it was a very good match. I hope it's on the new Jeff DVD.
Old 08-31-09, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by sg2386 View Post
Anyone know if Summerslam 2009 will be released on Blu-ray here in North America? or is it another UK exclusive like Royal Rumble?
I believe it's a UK exclusive again.
Old 08-31-09, 10:03 AM

One great place to shop is on ROH Wrestling.com. They sell all of their own ROH DVDs, but you can also get WWE, TNA, FIP, Dragon Gate, PWG, FIP, WxW and many more. Every week they have great sales. Sometimes as much as 40% off or DVDs for 5 bucks. The shipping costs are good too. I've bought over 50 DVDs from them and they have been perfect every time. I'm pretty sure most of the DVDs are Region 0 too.
Old 08-31-09, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by unskilledgymrat View Post
The documentary is pretty lazy and excludes a lot. I was pretty underwhelmed with it. The matches are classic, but a few are not the best choices. For the matches alone, it's worth owning, but not worth the price. I'm in Canada and I'm sorry that I paid 26.99 for it. I should have waited for clearance or bought it used.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.