Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume XI

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume XI

Old 08-23-09, 11:19 AM

Re: Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume XI

Besides Best Buy (2-pack) are there any excluives to the Rise and Fall of WCW?
Old 08-23-09, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BullGooseLoony View Post
A WWE steelbook is always nice, but that cover is kind of bland.
I kinda dig it. It has on old school feel to it.
Old 08-23-09, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just finished watching Extreme Rules 2009, and have to say that I was pretty impressed. I held off on buying this one because I kinda have a personal rule that I'll only buy a WWE pay-per-view if it has either The Undertaker, Triple H, or Shawn Michaels, and it's very rare to see a ppv missing all three. It's even rarer when despite that, the ppv is damn good. I had debated between this and Judgment Day, and I went with this because I realized the stipulations made most of the matches better. My review:

US Championship: Kofi Kingston vs. MVP vs. Matt Hardy vs. William Regal
Fast-paced fun. No great spots, but no lulls. The match is a little sloppy, but when Regal's around, it just makes the match feel all the more realistic. Kingston is nuts, and the three challengers all know how to wrestle. There've been better matches like this, but this one was still pretty good.

*** (out of 5)

IC Championship: Rey Mysterio vs. Chris Jericho
Time to jump on the bandwagon. This was a good feud with great matches. The matches just got better and beter, so this being the second, it's not quite as good as their Mask vs. Title match at The Bash, but it's still excellent. It's fifteen minutes long and there's not a single pause, good use of the "no holds barred" stip (as in, just a little bit of the chair), and the ending was great.

Strap Match: CM Punk vs. Umaga
Maybe the fear of losing his job was on his mind, but Umaga certainly seemed distracted here. He was even speaking English on the way to the ring. A lot of the time WWE adds a stip to a ppv match because the feud was worth continuing, or the two could bring something new. These two had a very nice match at Judgment Day the month prior, but not only was a rematch unneccessary, it was weak. I tried to give them the benefit of the doubt, that they had just followed Mysterio/Jericho, but this was still a disappointment. This felt like a TNA rematch, where they had no idea what to do with these two and needed to fill the card. Good finish though, well worth popping over.

**1/4

ECW Title: Christian vs. Jack Swagger vs. Tommy Dreamer
You could feel it in the air, and that made this match special. There was no way a triple-threat hardcore match with these three could disappoint, and it didn't. Swagger looked at ease in this kind of match, Christian was a great tweener, and the action was loud and fast. No classic, but Dreamer winning is a feel-good moment.

Hogpen Match: Santina Marella vs. Vickie Guerrero
Before the match, Jerry Lawler jokingly warns "this match will stink." He was right. Senseless filler. The joke was funny at first, but that was months ago, and it got old fast. Especially embarrassing to see Chavo involved.

DUD.

WWE Title: Randy Orton vs. Batista
Orton and Batista have never had a good match together, never a match that kicked out of the first gear. Their title match a month prior was bleh, their match at Armageddon was blehher, and with Batista injured, I had no reason to expect anything. But unlike their usual 15-minute affair, thanks to Batista's injury, this match was kept short and sweet. Orton kept on trying to escape, Batista was hitting him with power moves, and it looked like it could go either way. I understand why they gave Batista the title (to keep the feud alive until he gets back), but it would have been more fitting for Orton to simply escape the cage, and then have the beatdown then next night. This was the only title change of the night that didn't completely make sense.

***1/2

Submission Match: John Cena vs. The Big Show
Big Show needs to be carried. He's not a bad wrestler, but he needs to be put in the right hands. His matches with Undertaker last year were great, so we know he has it in him. Cena is not the guy to carry him. Not in 2003, not in 2004, and despite Show's weight loss, increased speed, and Cena's improvement as a a wrestler, not in 2009. ESPECIALLY not in a submission match, the kind of match that even two talented wrestlers could inadvertantly make boring. So to have them wrestle this kind of match was asking trouble. As it would happen, it's not as bad as I would have thought; the pace is surprisingly good (considering that it's NINETEEN MINUTES!), but it never takes off. Their match at Judgment Day was better.

**3/4

World Heavyweight Title: Edge vs. Jeff Hardy
In recent years, we've been spoiled by the MITB matches. We're so used to seeing 6 or 8 guys in a match that just 1-on-1 risks being boring. Somehow, it isn't. Good, memorable spots, legitimate suspense, and it was fun, comparable to Y2J/HBK from last year.

All in all, despite a couple of lulls, I think this was the best PPV they could put on despite the somewhat thinned roster. Despite a couple of the matches not equalling their predeccessors (Punk/Umaga, Cena/Show), for the most part this surpassed Judgment Day.

***1/2
Old 08-23-09, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^
Thanks for the review, BullGooseLoony. It almost seems like I buy wwe ppv dvds just to have them rather then just to watch them, But your review makes me wanna pop in my dvd and check out the jericho/rey match right now.

Hope you continue with your reviews.
Old 08-23-09, 08:22 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by BullGooseLoony View Post
Sweet. That is good news. The fact that they're matches that have never been released before on DVD is certainly a good sign.
Actually, it says "matches never before released on an any Hulk Hogan DVD". Not "never been released before on DVD".
Old 08-24-09, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by shacmasta View Post
^
Thanks for the review, BullGooseLoony. It almost seems like I buy wwe ppv dvds just to have them rather then just to watch them, But your review makes me wanna pop in my dvd and check out the jericho/rey match right now.

Hope you continue with your reviews.
A lot of WWE dvds I buy just to have them AND watch them. If I feel like I HAVE to buy a DVD just to complete a series, then it's not worth it to me. I thought about getting Great American Bash '08, just to have HBK/Y2J (because I had the other three), and Cena/JBL (because I had the other two from '08), but at the end of the day, I didn't particularly like those matches or the ppv as a whole, so it's not worth it.

I like the buy the ppvs where I'm completely some kind of series, but is also something worth watching and worth watching again. Case in point, every WWE ppv I have on DVD has a match that I feel not only needs to be owned, but is also worth watching again. Glad to hear you appreciated the review.
Old 08-24-09, 08:19 PM

Got a sweet shock today ups delivered NOC 09 and The rise and fall of wcw to me today. This is the dvd I've been looking forward to for years hope it delivers.
Old 08-24-09, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I haven't been a wrestling fan for awhile now, after being really into it from like 1998~2004 or so...but I am really interested in this new history of WCW DVD...

Just to be clear (please someone more in the know correct me if I am wrong):
Beginning tomorrow, Best Buy is offering a two pack bundle of "The Rise And Fall Of WCW" (which is a three disc release) along with "The Rise And Fall Of ECW" (which appears to be a two disc release), all for a mere $22.99? Five total discs for that low price?? Seems too good to be true...
Old 08-24-09, 08:44 PM

Figured it was worth asking 1 FINAL time:

Old 08-25-09, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by doctaheath78 View Post
Figured it was worth asking 1 FINAL time:

No, at least not that anyone has seen.
Old 08-25-09, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Going to stop at a 24 hour Wal-Mart on my way home from work to pick up the Rise and Fall of WCW. I also ordered the Jim Cornette Guest Booker DVD from Kayfabe Commentaries.
Old 08-25-09, 03:26 AM

By the way, if you order the Smackdown DVD from Silvervision, it comes out on Friday.
Old 08-25-09, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Cory02 View Post
Going to stop at a 24 hour Wal-Mart on my way home from work to pick up the Rise and Fall of WCW. I also ordered the Jim Cornette Guest Booker DVD from Kayfabe Commentaries.
Nice grab, if you can write up a quick review of the Cornette dvd-Guest Booker I'd definately appreciate it. I own all but the last two (Luke & Corny) and think the concept is a great idea, but to me it's more fascinating to watch where the "guest booker" takes the dvd IE: Greg Gagne into another F Vince shoot; Raven in a stoned, pilled up 'schmoz'; Jerry Jarrett into a WCW 2000-pro Hulk Hogan rant; etc.
Old 08-25-09, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by WMAangel View Post
I haven't been a wrestling fan for awhile now, after being really into it from like 1998~2004 or so...but I am really interested in this new history of WCW DVD...

Just to be clear (please someone more in the know correct me if I am wrong):
Beginning tomorrow, Best Buy is offering a two pack bundle of "The Rise And Fall Of WCW" (which is a three disc release) along with "The Rise And Fall Of ECW" (which appears to be a two disc release), all for a mere $22.99? Five total discs for that low price?? Seems too good to be true...
That's the case. Just came back from BB.
Old 08-25-09, 07:19 PM

I picked up Rise & Fall of WCW and Night Of Champions at Walmart for 19.96 & 14.96 respectively. I also stopped by KMart and they didn't have any exclusive for either of the two titles released today. They did have a Bash 2009 bundled with Bash 2008 but I know that's old news by now.

I enjoyed the dvd, and those who told the story, surprised to see the new footage with Kevin Sullivan, Dr Harvey Schiller, Bill Watts, The Crocketts. It's a story I feel I've heard so many times, and this one didn't skew from the norm nor give much new info but was enjoyable and an overall thumbs up for current fans of wrestling to enjoy, and also a great piece for fans from the past to watch and realize why it's not so simple to "bring WCW back!".
Old 08-25-09, 09:33 PM

-do they mention the fingerpook of doom and who do they blame
-is the entire vince russo shoot from BATB 2000 on it
-any blame for hogan or is it all on nash/russo-aka tna people
Old 08-25-09, 10:25 PM

I picked up one of the last 2 copies that my Best Buy had of the 2 pack, and it looks like the WCW set is selling well. When I checked out, the girl behind the register said, "Did this just come out today? Cause everyone's buying it."
Old 08-25-09, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had a tough time finding the WCW DVD set. I went to 4 stores, Best Buy, Walmart, and HMV were sold out then finally went to another Best Buy which had 2 copies left. Never had this much trouble finding a WWE DVD. Going to pop in the 1st disc and enjoy.
Old 08-25-09, 10:51 PM

Rise and Fall of WCW DVD is crap. The documentary glosses over so much. They take a few potshots at Jarrett. They briefly show the Russo/Hogan BATB 2000 stuff. Majority of the interviews were from 2002 or recycled from the Starrcade DVD.

There are virtually NO special features. No promos, no Nitro segments, etc. No mention of Bret Hart joining WCW. No mention of Malenko, Saturn, Eddie, and Benoit jumping ship. No mention of ECW wrestlers joining WCW. Jericho seemed bitter and added very little. The only "new" segments I liked were with Goldberg. Bill Watts got about two sentences. Crocketts didn't say much that we have not heard already and they could not decide if we are supposed to hate Herd or feel sorry for him. The match selection has some very good matches from 80s to 1994, but 1996-2001 leaves a lot to be desired.

I mean they included the match where Scott Steiner turns on Rick and joins the NWO. Couldn't they have used a section of that match as a special feature and included a better full match instead?

They show the fingerpoke of doom, which is great. They should have also put the Shockmaster as a special feature. I'd rather watch The Shockmaster come out over and over again than anything WWE puts on TV now.

This was a lazy, and poor release. I'm happy to add more WCW footage to my collection, but it was not worth the $26.99 that I paid.
Old 08-26-09, 12:37 AM

if the doc is that bad i wish instead they would of put more matches and special features in place of it

i wanted a bunch of nwo promos on it, the stuff they did in 96-97 was groundbreaking and bret hart tricking goldberg(i beat steve austin every time i faced him) classic moments

and for the match listing i wish disc 2 was more bischoff era stuff, thats the stuff most fans buying this dvd want to see, wwe could make a set just on nitro alone or another nwo release
Old 08-26-09, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by chuckliddell View Post
if the doc is that bad i wish instead they would of put more matches and special features in place of it

i wanted a bunch of nwo promos on it, the stuff they did in 96-97 was groundbreaking and bret hart tricking goldberg(i beat steve austin every time i faced him) classic moments

and for the match listing i wish disc 2 was more bischoff era stuff, thats the stuff most fans buying this dvd want to see, wwe could make a set just on nitro alone or another nwo release
Don't assume most people want to see the "Nitro Era" stuff the most. Personally, I am quite excited to be seeing matches from the late 80's/early 90's because that's the NWA/WCW I grew up on. WCW Had 3-4 mega mainstream years, 96-99. That is it. And 99 is starting to push it. It will be nice for newer fans to be able to experience matches like Rock and Roll Express V.S. Midnight Express (Which I just don't understand why they didn't include one of there matches on the greatest tag teams dvd), Sting V.S. Rick Rude, The 6 man tag between Sting, Luger and Windham against the horsemen... Looking forward to watching these after work today.
Old 08-26-09, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

Originally Posted by BobVersion1 View Post
Don't assume most people want to see the "Nitro Era" stuff the most. Personally, I am quite excited to be seeing matches from the late 80's/early 90's because that's the NWA/WCW I grew up on. WCW Had 3-4 mega mainstream years, 96-99. That is it. And 99 is starting to push it. It will be nice for newer fans to be able to experience matches like Rock and Roll Express V.S. Midnight Express (Which I just don't understand why they didn't include one of there matches on the greatest tag teams dvd), Sting V.S. Rick Rude, The 6 man tag between Sting, Luger and Windham against the horsemen... Looking forward to watching these after work today.
I am going to agree. A lot of what was said above, was in the Monday Night Wars DVD...I mean how many times to we really need to hear about it, specifically Bret Hart.

I do want to see some of the late 80's to mid 90's stuff. I remember that the most (like Nash as Oz...I still have some old videos of that somewhere or the old War Games with the double ring/cage).
Old 08-26-09, 10:49 AM

so there is no mention of bret hart coming after the screwjob, that was a huge time for wcw, they were winning the ratings and got the wwe champ and it looked like wwe was dead, then they screwed it up, that should of been mentioned in the doc
Old 08-26-09, 11:27 AM

I love the old stuff from the 80s and early 90s, but the DVD is called Rise and Fall of WCW. Many histories consider the first WCW title reign to be when Ric Flair beat Sting for the title in Jan. 1991 at the Meadowlands. So there are some matches that really are NWA and not WCW.

For it to really be a complete look, I don't see how they didn't put the Goldberg-Hogan match (even if it was released before), Flair-Bischoff from Starrcade or Nitro, Goldberg's first match and something from the Warrior and the Wolfpack. I know it was only a few years , but the NWO years from 96-99really was responsible for much of the rise and fall of the company.
Old 08-26-09, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

Originally Posted by JASNEWS View Post
I love the old stuff from the 80s and early 90s, but the DVD is called Rise and Fall of WCW. Many histories consider the first WCW title reign to be when Ric Flair beat Sting for the title in Jan. 1991 at the Meadowlands. So there are some matches that really are NWA and not WCW.

For it to really be a complete look, I don't see how they didn't put the Goldberg-Hogan match (even if it was released before), Flair-Bischoff from Starrcade or Nitro, Goldberg's first match and something from the Warrior and the Wolfpack. I know it was only a few years , but the NWO years from 96-99really was responsible for much of the rise and fall of the company.
Whenever WCW started on TBS, that would be the perfect starting point (I think that is around '89). Some NWA history would be cool, but not required.

As for the NWO stuff, it is a dead horse really. We all know the story...the same with Bret Hart. I personally feel no need to include it. I would like to see stuff on the New Blood coming in at the beginning of their run, stuff like that. Some stuff on Ron Simmons being champ would be cool too. Again, my opinion only. To each his own.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.