Wiki lost in the forum update
Print Wikipost

"Official" DVDTalk Challenges Compendium

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-19, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
Re: "Official" DVDTalk Challenges Compendium

Am imagining things or was there once an ongoing "make your own challenge" type thing? I could have sworn this existed but I can't seem to find any threads with any mention of it.
Old 01-08-19, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
Am imagining things or was there once an ongoing "make your own challenge" type thing? I could have sworn this existed but I can't seem to find any threads with any mention of it.
You're not imagining things... The "Make Your Own" is in May. Here's last year's list thread:

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/6...ead%2A%2A.html

Or are you talking about "The Neverending Watch The Movies You Should Have Already Seen Challenge"?

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/6...challenge.html
Old 01-08-19, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ha! After many unsuccessful searches, I remembered that I had asked about Nightmare On Elm Street 3 in that thread! Voila!!!!

DVDTalk's First Annual Challenge - 2014

The reason I asked was that I was going to do a Universal Monsters type of challenge of my own. But it would take way longer than one month so the May challenge is out. That's when I remembered this "Annual Challenge". But my viewings wouldn't be contingent on any specific dates so that won't work either.
I'll just track it on my own.
Old 01-08-19, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's an interesting challenge... I don't know if I ever knew about it before you're finding it again.

I read the rules - are you going to watch the Universal Monsters on their anniversary release dates or do you have some other method in mind?
Old 01-08-19, 07:54 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Woah! That was an interesting year. I’m glad you didn’t bump that thing before the 1st Darth, or I might have been tempted to try it again. My checklist mania is strong this year, I’m using an app called Habit Master and have 12 daily tasks that I’m keeping up with so far.
Old 01-09-19, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
That's an interesting challenge... I don't know if I ever knew about it before you're finding it again.

I read the rules - are you going to watch the Universal Monsters on their anniversary release dates or do you have some other method in mind?
I think I'm just gonna do my own thing. In order for it to qualify for that challenge, I'd have to watch things certain movies on certain dates and I'd rather just watch chronologically. If I am up and running by May, maybe I'll include my "stats" in the official MYOC thread.
Old 01-28-19, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If no one objects, I am planning on hosting the March Action challenge again this year. I will try to throw up the discussion in the next week or so.
Old 01-29-19, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

I have no objects. Thank ya kindly for volunteering.
Old 01-30-19, 07:20 PM

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

It is with great regret I must retire from the challenges. My job situation has changed and I am no longer available to host the Drive-in/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge. If anyone would like to take over, they are welcome to do so. Perhaps I'll be able to participate, but I doubt it. My cozy desk job has changed to a road gig and I really can't do it from a hotel room hundreds of miles from home.

I'm very proud of the challenge and hope it falls into good hands. I've enjoyed the challenges and am proud of what I've been able to give back to the challenge community. Wild Cards, signature links back to personal lists, a more fair and inclusive system of prize give away (entries for participation, additional entries for accomplishments, etc. Although I kind of abandoned prizes in my own challenges), Fantasy being included in the Sci-Fi challenge (by inspiring the challenge runner with how much fun multi-subject challenges are), refining the disparate concepts of Westerns and War Movies into an all encompassing Historical Challenge, and the concept of Safe Lists in my beloved Drive-in/Exploitation/B-Movie challenge which also embraced so many different but spiritually similar genres.

Whomever takes it over can change it to their own vision or keep it the way it is. It's all yours. Thanks again for everything.
Old 01-31-19, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

^ Sorry to hear. Hope your road gig provides some level of coziness. Or at least more money.
Old 01-31-19, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
It is with great regret I must retire from the challenges. My job situation has changed and I am no longer available to host the Drive-in/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge. If anyone would like to take over, they are welcome to do so. Perhaps I'll be able to participate, but I doubt it. My cozy desk job has changed to a road gig and I really can't do it from a hotel room hundreds of miles from home.

I'm very proud of the challenge and hope it falls into good hands. I've enjoyed the challenges and am proud of what I've been able to give back to the challenge community. Wild Cards, signature links back to personal lists, a more fair and inclusive system of prize give away (entries for participation, additional entries for accomplishments, etc. Although I kind of abandoned prizes in my own challenges), Fantasy being included in the Sci-Fi challenge (by inspiring the challenge runner with how much fun multi-subject challenges are), refining the disparate concepts of Westerns and War Movies into an all encompassing Historical Challenge, and the concept of Safe Lists in my beloved Drive-in/Exploitation/B-Movie challenge which also embraced so many different but spiritually similar genres.

Whomever takes it over can change it to their own vision or keep it the way it is. It's all yours. Thanks again for everything.
Your contributions to this whole Challenge thing are legendary Ctg.

But are you sure you want this? Your current job situation may not last forever. And since you’ve already done all of the hard work in previous years, I’m sure the Challenge can survive with a year of you just cutting and pasting last year’s OP, and the usual very minimal rule input needed throughout the month.
Old 02-09-19, 09:33 AM

We can see. I'm in a hotel 170 miles from home. A challenge to participate let alone run, but it might be able to run itself with minimal effort. We'll see as it gets closer.
Old 02-09-19, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Either way, thanks for all your work on the challenge, caligula!
Old 03-21-19, 11:32 AM

Just a note, the Drive-in Challenge is live. I'm not linking here because the URL might change when the title gets corrected (I forgot to put the date of the challenge in the title).
Old 04-15-19, 03:58 PM

I’m considering finally watching GoT for the May MYOC. Dimension X
Old 04-21-19, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I’m considering finally watching GoT for the May MYOC. Dimension X
I need to watch that too. I don't check in to DVDTalk too often anymore, I was thinking about running one more MYOC just to do an "I'd buy that for a dollar" Challenge (where I'd watch nothing but Blu-rays and DVDs I bought at Dollar Tree), but then I looked and saw that I haven't watched any of the NetFlix Marvel shows since last May, so I decided to do comic book movies and TV once again.

The MYOC is definitely the easiest challenge to host,and since I've hosted nine of them, I'd like to get the tenth one out of the way before I quit, so if I can figure out how to start a thread on this new "upgraded" forum, I'll start it within the next day or two.
Old 06-08-19, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Just wanted to let people know that I'm still in for hosting both July's Sci-Fi/Fantasy challenge and August's Animation challenge. I'll get July's threads started closer to the end of the month.
Old 07-21-19, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

August's Animation Challenge has been posted.

List thread here.

Discussion thread here.
Old 08-01-19, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Criterion time, y'all!

Discussion: https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/6...on-thread.html
List: https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/6...st-thread.html
Old 08-01-19, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Also: I know I'm late to the party, but I detest the forum's new UI.
Old 08-01-19, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Travis McClain
Also: I know I'm late to the party, but I detest the forum's new UI.
Just wait until you've used the "improved" editors...
Old 08-01-19, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, if I host comedy again, it’ll be the first time from my iPad with no image links or format copying. We’ll see what happens.
Old 08-01-19, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777
Yeah, if I host comedy again, it’ll be the first time from my iPad with no image links or format copying. We’ll see what happens.
I discovered for July's challenge that if you hit the source button (the far right of the tool bar in the comment message), you can copy that and paste it into the new message/comment you are creating and it'll transfer over. That being said, I see a lot of extra paragraphs get transferred over as well and font sizing doesn't always work either (if at all, haven't played with that aspect yet). Hope that helps!
Old 08-01-19, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Just wait until you've used the "improved" editors...
Oh, I had already spent an hour with those before I posted here. It's my own fault for neglecting DVD Talk for so long, I suppose.
Old 08-01-19, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by LJG765
I discovered for July's challenge that if you hit the source button (the far right of the tool bar in the comment message), you can copy that and paste it into the new message/comment you are creating and it'll transfer over. That being said, I see a lot of extra paragraphs get transferred over as well and font sizing doesn't always work either (if at all, haven't played with that aspect yet). Hope that helps!
I just experimented on my phone, and I was able to select and copy the text of my above post, so thanks, that might work! The lack of support for my browsers has made it difficult to post around here.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.