Wiki lost in the forum update
Print Wikipost

"Official" DVDTalk Challenges Compendium

Old 02-26-15, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts
Re: "Official" DVDTalk Challenges Compendium

Originally Posted by Giles
I've already decided my 'Make Your Own' challenge theme - "any and everything related to nature and animals"
Old 02-26-15, 02:44 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
well I do have that (the bluray) in my 'To Watch' pile.
Old 02-26-15, 02:46 PM

You've got some updating to do Trevor on the master lists on the front page ...
Old 02-26-15, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

You've got some updating to do Trevor on the master lists on the front page ...
Shh. don't set him off on an updating frenzy he'll never get himself out of.
Old 02-26-15, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

I've already decided my 'Make Your Own' challenge theme - "any and everything related to nature and animals"
Don't make me have to start the discussion thread before the last week in April.
Old 02-26-15, 04:02 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Shh. don't set him off on an updating frenzy he'll never get himself out of.
I know I'm three full years behind pretty much, but I will do it someday. Everything will look like the Horror Challenge table hopefully, except complete.
DVDTalk Horror Challenge

Year
Discussion Threads
List Threads
Results Thread
Number
Winner
2005planning, discussionlistsresults223steelpotato
2006discussionlistsresults170EdTheRipper
2007planning, discussion 1, 2, 3listsresults333ViewAskewbian
2008planning, discussion 1, 2, subset filmslistsresults252poster mayhem
2009planning, discussion 1, 2, 3listsresults198EdTheRipper
2010planning, discussion 1, 2, 3, TVlistsresults282Trevor
2011planning, discussion 1, 2, 3, 4listsresults228Mondo Kane
2012planninginsert thread linksinsert thread linkinsert #insert DVDTalker
insert thread links
insert lists link
insert results link
insert #
insert DVDTalker
Old 04-06-15, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

I've already started working on my own version of make your own challenge, as I already need a break from the Drive In challenge.
Old 04-06-15, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Trevor
I know I'm three full years behind pretty much, but I will do it someday. Everything will look like the Horror Challenge table hopefully, except complete.
DVDTalk Horror Challenge

Year
Discussion Threads
List Threads
Results Thread
Number
Winner
2005planning, discussionlistsresults223steelpotato
2006discussionlistsresults170EdTheRipper
2007planning, discussion 1, 2, 3listsresults333ViewAskewbian
2008planning, discussion 1, 2, subset filmslistsresults252poster mayhem
2009planning, discussion 1, 2, 3listsresults198EdTheRipper
2010planning, discussion 1, 2, 3, TVlistsresults282Trevor
2011planning, discussion 1, 2, 3, 4listsresults228Mondo Kane
2012planninginsert thread linksinsert thread linkinsert #insert DVDTalker
insert thread links
insert lists link
insert results link
insert #
insert DVDTalker
Fortunately, not all of the other challenges should have multiple discussion threads, results threads, winners, and other stuff like the horror challenge.
Old 04-06-15, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dimension X
Don't make me have to start the discussion thread before the last week in April.
The nice thing about it, is you don't need to make a thread for someone to start in on it. Just watch what you want to watch.
Old 04-06-15, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I've already started working on my own version of make your own challenge, as I already need a break from the Drive In challenge.
The nice thing about it, is you don't need to make a thread for someone to start in on it. Just watch what you want to watch.
Crap, you beat me to it.

Spoiler:

But seriously, don't make me have to start the discussion thread before the last week in April.
Old 04-13-15, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

This is probably not a surprise to anyone, but I need to formally bow out of hosting this year's Historical Appreciation Challenge. 2015 has been a relentlessly horrific year so far with no end in sight. To be honest, I can't even say for sure that I feel confident about hosting the next TV on DVD* Challenge. That's just how overwhelmed I've been. I wish the best of luck to whoever substitutes for me.
Old 04-13-15, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Travis McClain
This is probably not a surprise to anyone, but I need to formally bow out of hosting this year's Historical Appreciation Challenge. 2015 has been a relentlessly horrific year so far with no end in sight. To be honest, I can't even say for sure that I feel confident about hosting the next TV on DVD* Challenge. That's just how overwhelmed I've been. I wish the best of luck to whoever substitutes for me.
I hope everything will be all right.
Old 04-13-15, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Travis McClain
Since I'd hate to see the challenge disappear, and I'm free of challenges now, I'll volunteer to run it. This is one of my favorite challenges.
Old 04-18-15, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm thinking of not limiting myself to next month's challenge, as my tastes vary from day to day. I might just take a month off to watch what I feel like watching, as there is already a tv challenge.
Old 04-18-15, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm thinking of not limiting myself to next month's challenge, as my tastes vary from day to day. I might just take a month off to watch what I feel like watching, as there is already a tv challenge.
Spoiler:
Again, don't make me have to start the discussion thread before the last week in April.

Actually, I might start the thread sometime next week, if I get the time.

Remember, for the MYOC you can narrow the focus of an existing challenge, so if you want to watch TV only, you could just list what you watch on Roku, or your DVR, etc.
Old 04-18-15, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Spoiler:
Again, don't make me have to start the discussion thread before the last week in April.

Actually, I might start the thread sometime next week, if I get the time.

Remember, for the MYOC you can narrow the focus of an existing challenge, so if you want to watch TV only, you could just list what you watch on Roku, or your DVR, etc.
I wasn't trying to make you start the thread early, was just making a comment. I also never thought of that.
Old 04-20-15, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thinking of MYOC got me thinking of a MAJOR year-long "challenge". I know we have a TV challenge in January but if anyone is like me they watch a lot of tv. I know personally I have a lot of unwatched BD/DVD shows not to mention what I watch weekly and then to put the cherry on top I now have hte premium stations (HBO, Showtime, Starz, Cinemax) so I have tons of new stuff to watch. I know there are a lot who are die-hard tv watchers so may I propose a year-long (starting May/June) TV blowout challenge? It won't negate any of the other challenges but would kind of be on top of them. Would anyone be interested in a year-long tv cleanup "challenge"?
Old 04-20-15, 05:32 PM

I gather thinking ahead is frowned down upon I just happen to have all these nature 3D blurays just sitting and screaming 'watch me!'
Old 04-20-15, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mcline87
Thinking of MYOC got me thinking of a MAJOR year-long "challenge". I know we have a TV challenge in January but if anyone is like me they watch a lot of tv. I know personally I have a lot of unwatched BD/DVD shows not to mention what I watch weekly and then to put the cherry on top I now have hte premium stations (HBO, Showtime, Starz, Cinemax) so I have tons of new stuff to watch. I know there are a lot who are die-hard tv watchers so may I propose a year-long (starting May/June) TV blowout challenge? It won't negate any of the other challenges but would kind of be on top of them. Would anyone be interested in a year-long tv cleanup "challenge"?
There was a 2014 year long challenge http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/61...ge-2014-a.html

I don't think anyone would complain if you started one and I might jump on to keep track of where I am with certain shows for those times I take a break and then forget where I left off.
Old 04-20-15, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I gather thinking ahead is frowned down upon I just happen to have all these nature 3D blurays just sitting and screaming 'watch me!'
I'll start the thread in a few days, when I get a chance. I just don't want to start it too early because it never gets a whole lot of posts. Of course, it's not like it's gonna fall off the front page or anything.
Old 04-20-15, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd be game. I love watching tv.
Old 04-20-15, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'll start the thread in a few days, when I get a chance. I just don't want to start it too early because it never gets a whole lot of posts. Of course, it's not like it's gonna fall off the front page or anything.
I love this challenge, but the individual nature of it tends to keep the discussion down.
Old 04-20-15, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I love this challenge, but the individual nature of it tends to keep the discussion down.
Yeah, I know.

Which is why I hate discussing it in this thread - fewer posts in an already desert wasteland. Okay, you've all convinced me; I'll start the thread now. It's not like it's that hard to do, or that time-consuming.

Give me a few minutes.

Okay, it's up. Please take any MYOC discussion there.

Last edited by Dimension X; 04-20-15 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04-20-15, 06:13 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

That's sort of recreating a wheel, and at its core not really what Challenges are about.

Each Challenge is supposed to narrow one's focus into a particular thing and encourage creativity and watching things outside of what you would normally.

A year long TV quest seems better suited for our long standing unwatched threads.
Old 05-01-15, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can I start an ongoing challenge related to movies you've been putting off? I started this over in the icheckmovies forum a little over 4 years ago and it's still going strong.

Here's how it works:
Person A posts a list of 10 movies
Person B picks a movie from the A's list for A to watch. In the same post, Person B does their list of 10 movies.

You can't pick something for someone to watch without posting your own list and you always have to choose a movie for the most recent list.

Even if someone drops out, the challenge can go on and on. So if A never gets around to watching it, as long as someone else comes in, B gets a movie selected for them to watch. If A takes a year to watch their movie, they can still jump back in.

What do you do after watching your movie?
You do a new post where you pick a film from the most recent list, for them to watch. Your list of 10 movies will have the 9 from before and 1 new film to replace the one you've watched. It'd also be nice to include your thoughts about what you watched.

Real world example
Originally Posted by Person A
1. The Quiet Man
2. Hiroshima mon amour
3. Senso
4. Five Easy Pieces - I had this on my Netflix queue back when it was available for streaming and now I'm kicking myself for not watching it.
5. If....
6. The Chronicle History of King Henry the Fift with His Battell Fought at Agincourt in France
7. The Bank Dick
8. Ukigusa
9. Saturday Night Fever
10. L'eclisse
Originally Posted by Person B
1. Wise Blood
2. 2046
3. A Face in the Crowd
4. Picnic at Hanging Rock
5. Gangs of New York
6. Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore
7. East of Eden
8. Jésus de Montréal
9. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia
10. L'année dernière à Marienbad

and Person B: I'll choose L'eclisse for you since it's one of two I've seen and it has Alain Delon in it! Although I actually didn't go crazy over it
Originally Posted by Person C
Person B,
2046 for you.

1. Pyassa
2. A Brighter Summer Day
3. Fat City
4. I Know Where I'm Going!
5. Nostalgia
6. Tiger of Bengal
7. Young Girls of Rochefort
8. Faces
9. Once Upon a Time There Was a Country
10. Lancelot du Lac
I liked Faces except my babysitter drowned in the pool while I was watching it for the second time.
Originally Posted by Person B
Ok, so I just watched 2046. It was ok. My main problem was that none of the characters were likable or interesting, and that coupled with it being slow, made it fairly difficult to sit through. And also, I don't know if it's just a language issue, but Ziyi Zhang's horrific acting attempts really brought it down too. Apparently she was supposed to "radiate sensuality", but a rotting carcass has more sensuality than her. But anyway, I gave it a 6.

1. Wise Blood
2. A Face in the Crowd
3. Picnic at Hanging Rock
4. Gangs of New York
5. Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore
6. East of Eden
7. Jésus de Montréal
8. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia
9. L'année dernière à Marienbad
10. Prénom Carmen

And Person C, I will randomly choose Once Upon a Time There Was a Country for you, since I haven't seen any of them
Originally Posted by Person C
Person A, that sucks about the babysitter. I hope you're better now.
Thanks for the concern. At the very least, I'm doing better than her right now. Shortly after the incident, we got a call from a detective saying she was wanted in 3 states.
Originally Posted by Person D
1.Lagaan
2. This Sporting Life
3. Room at the Top
4.The Longest Day
5. Werckmeister Harmonies
6. Twelve O'Clock High
7.Okuribito (Departures)
8.Waltz with Bashir
9. Ohayo (Good Morning)
10. Whisper of the Heart (1995) Mimi wo sumaseba

And Person B, I choose Picnic at Hanging Rock, because it's time you get to feel some pride about your country.
Originally Posted by Person E
Holy crap! What was the sitter wanted for?
Some fraud, human trafficking, child endangerment, and some of the other usual crimes that typically go along with babysitting.
and so on...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.