Reload this Page >

Your 'unexpected' favorite DVD release?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 06-21-09, 01:26 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 950 Likes on 795 Posts

i am not talking about great blind buys, but movies you know, might have seen some or all, then got one of the DVD releases without expecting too much or nothing at all, only to find out it was one of the more enjoyable all-around experiences in sometime.

ones where you have little to zero expectations and are just wildly entertained by the entire DVD package (movie, commentary, extras, etc..), whether it is packed full of goodies or just has a few entertaining bits.

i just got "Grandma's Boy" (UR) from the Target $3.98 sale.

I've seen bits and pieces, maybe most of it, on cable and found it rather silly and irreverent, but funny and likable.

Now, usually when i buy a release it sits for quite awhile before i pop it in. But, with this one, i was just in the mood for a silly comedy.

Put it in and enjoyed the hell out of the movie. I laughed almost all the way through. It was done just right for what it was- a silly, stoner movie with quirky characters that you can't help like.

Then, i watched all the extras, listened to some of the commentaries and just found myself engaged for the short bits and thoroughly enjoyed the hell out of the entire release.

Had no expectations and was very pleasantly surprised.

So, any unexpected, highly enjoyable releases come your way?
Old 06-21-09, 01:39 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Your 'unexpected' favorite DVD release?

I usually don't buy a DVD unless it is something I really want and am familiar with.So,I usually know what to expect and am seldom dissapointed.
There have been some public domain $1.00 DVDs that turned out to be better than I expected;ie:VENGEANCE(Ernest Borgnine and Michael J Pollard),SILENT NIGHT BLOODY NIGHT,NIGHT TRAIN TO TERROR,JOHNNY YUMA,a couple of Paul Naschy movies,etc.
Old 06-21-09, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts

Halloween - 3-Disc Unrated Collectors Edition
Everyone kept on saying it sucks, so since I greatly enjoyed 30 Days in Hell: The Making of the Devil's Rejects so much, I guessed that I would've got my money's worth just out of the 3rd disc alone. That's correct to some extent. But the movie (Especially the Unrated cut) wasn't as bad as I was led to believe.
But there's no question that the bulk of my positive feedback for this DVD-set is mostly for the 3rd disc and that wonderful day-to-day experience of what it's like to make a movie.
Old 06-21-09, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 79 Likes on 58 Posts

The one that most immediately comes to mind is the Angelique Collection from last year. Had never even heard of this series of pulpy French films, until I saw a release listing on DVDBeavers page and looked into it.
Very decent anamorphic widescreen transfers/encodes from the notoriously unreliable Lionsgate and offered at a good price for something so low demand and esoteric.
The movies were a blast too- fascinating on multiple levels, not the least of which is that they are some of the earliest films I'm aware of that have such direct continuity amongst the sequels. there were series films like Tarzan and such where characters would carry over to subsequent sequels, but I can't recall any series where whole plot points would pay off one or two films later.
These were adapted from a series of books, which may account for how well planned out everything was- I don't know how closely adapted they were though.

I also just finished Veronica Mars, which was another blind buy. Picked it up a while back on sale, but only recently got up the enthusiasm to devote some time to it. That blew me away as well. I picked it up on good word of mouth, but I was surprised just how much I loved it. It lived up to the hype.

Last edited by Paul_SD; 06-21-09 at 03:58 PM.
Old 06-21-09, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 509 Likes on 259 Posts

The Abyss. It would be even more enjoyable in anamorphic widescreen. The extra features on the DVD are better than any other I own.
Old 06-21-09, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

So this thread is not supposed to be about blind buys, but instead about...what? Squinting eyesight buys? Not trying to nitpick so much as understand the idea.

If so, I suppose I would answer with Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves - Extended Version. I loved the movie, having seen it theatrically and on VHS many times over the year, and I was greatly satisfied with the restored footage of Alan Rickman's performance as the Sheriff of Nottingham. It really expanded that character's arc.
Old 06-21-09, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 79 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
So this thread is not supposed to be about blind buys, but instead about...what? Squinting eyesight buys? Not trying to nitpick so much as understand the idea.
Didn't really process the original post, just took the title at face value. He does indeed seem to be asking for titles you already have familiarity with, but which the DVD experience was more enjoyable than you were expecting.

There have been quite a few times where this has happened to me, since in the past I've been willing to buy things that I have only a fuzzy recollection of having enjoyed at some point.
Hard to recall a specific one now though. These don't seem to pop out in my memory the way a pleasant, stone cold, blind buy does.

after a little thought two that do are
Paper Moon and Wish You Were Here
Though I probably bought these on the days they streeted, it actually took me years to get around to watching them. Since I already knew them, it was hard to find a time where I was wanting to watch that specific material. I think in both cases it finally came down to not filling a specific craving that night, but rather just finally spinning them so I could take them out of the "need to watch" pile and clear the space off the shelf for other stuff.
PM has a few extras that I haven't watched, WYWH is bare bones.
I just remember being amazed at how much I was entertained and invested seeing these again. Obviously I knew that I liked the films, but I couldn't anticipate how much I would enjoy them after all those years. In both case, maybe even more so than I ever originally had.

Last edited by Paul_SD; 06-21-09 at 05:59 PM.
Old 06-21-09, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Without a doubt...Donnie Darko. Bought the DVD a week or two, after a tip from a friend, and it became one of my favorite movies altogether. Very solid commentary, great deleted scenes, everything a DVD release should be, and all of that one one disc, none of that bullshlt about having to pay for a two disc release when the second disc is only a friggin' digital copy.

No damned reason releases like Body of Lies, Street Kings, Rambo et. al shouldn't be released as an all inclusive single disc; except for studios trying to stick their customers for every last dollar they can. Keep it up guys, I'll just start buying every single one of my movies two months later on the Bay for a fraction of the cost.
Old 06-21-09, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by ScottsdaleSaint
Without a doubt...Donnie Darko. Bought the DVD a week or two, after a tip from a friend, and it became one of my favorite movies altogether. Very solid commentary, great deleted scenes, everything a DVD release should be, and all of that one one disc, none of that bullshlt about having to pay for a two disc release when the second disc is only a friggin' digital copy.
Wow, pretty much word for word exactly what I was going say. Thanks for saving me the trouble of typing it all out.
Old 06-21-09, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Batman: Gotham Knight - I wasn't sure about a direct-to-dvd release (I've never bought one), but I thought this had a nice mix of animated shorts. I thought it was quite good, and glad I let my friend buy it for me for my birthday.
Old 06-21-09, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I read the synopsis of 20 Centimeters someplace and bought it when it was on sale at Amazon and found it was absolutely outstanding.
Old 06-22-09, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best DVD purchase I think I've ever made was The Work of Directors Spike Jonze, Chris Cunningham and Michel Gondry on Amazon when Amazon had an exclusive bundle. I knew directors at that point but my interest in film was still growing, and it was that set that made me really sit up and pay attention to directorial technique and learn who I liked and all of that. In an age of YouTube, it might not seem as cool, but I bought it just a couple years earlier than that.

Just glancing at my collection, three films I see on the shelf that I can think of that I got the most surprise enjoyment out of in regards to my anticipation/expectations going in are Grosse Pointe Blank, The Long Kiss Goodnight and Bruce Campbell's Running Time, which is now out of print. None of them are feature-packed Special Editions (Grosse Pointe Blank is still sadly non-anamorphic, although Running Time has an audio commentary), but the movies themselves were excellent.

Last edited by tylergfoster; 06-22-09 at 12:35 AM.
Old 06-22-09, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mad Men, had heard of it but turned out even better than expected.

The Wire, same as above.

Movie wise, The Conformist. The transfer and film far exceeded my expectations.
Old 06-22-09, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 339 Likes on 258 Posts

Bought Image's release of "Movin' With Nancy", a 1966 TV special with Nancy Sinatra- I mainly got it because it included the RC Cola commercials that aired with it, but the music was way cool too and I play a lot of songs over and over.

"Elephant" was one movie I bought not knowing much about it, and ended up watching it several times within a few days.
Old 06-22-09, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Cujo.

I had seen the film a while back, as a kid, but I recalled it not being very good and I didn't dig it very much.

I got the new SE put out by Lionsgate, rewatched it and was really amazed at how much I enjoyed the film. Great cast, acting, direction and cinematography. The supplements, though not extensive, were a good watch and the audio commentary was peppered with some interesting production notes. I was very surprised, since I didn't expect my opinion to change much.
Old 06-22-09, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I bought Can't Hardly Wait on sale as part of a "buy 3 DVDs for $20" sale. I had two other movies I really wanted from the offer, and was looking for a third to add to my cart. I went with this silly teen comedy mainly because I liked Seth Green and Lauren Ambrose from their respective TV shows. Wound up really enjoying the whole film, watched the commentary right afterwards (something I never do) and have rewatched the movie several times since then.

Now I can't even remember what the other two movies were that I wanted more than this one.
Old 06-22-09, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Two most recent DVDs:
Caprica and Waltz With Bashir. Caprica I suspected I would enjoy, but had some doubts it would be great. After all, lightning hardly hits twice and BSG was such a fantastic series I didn't think this could live up to it. It was simply fantastic, IMHO. And I knew Waltz With Bashir would be good, but I had no idea just how memorable and impressive it would turn out to be.
Old 06-22-09, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Shield, season 1. Bought it for $10 used because I had heard good things. Ended up watching it in like...3 days, then bought all of the other seasons and ripped through those as well. It's now one of my all time favorite shows.

= J
Old 06-22-09, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Bought Image's release of "Movin' With Nancy", a 1966 TV special with Nancy Sinatra- I mainly got it because it included the RC Cola commercials that aired with it, but the music was way cool too and I play a lot of songs over and over.

"Elephant" was one movie I bought not knowing much about it, and ended up watching it several times within a few days.
Dang, I wish this was still in print. I see a region two edition can be found for a fair price...are the features the same on that edition as well, does anybody know? DVDcompare has nothing on this title.