DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Ally McBeal Coming Soon to DVD (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/557000-ally-mcbeal-coming-soon-dvd.html)

kstublen 06-20-09 04:42 AM

Ally McBeal Coming Soon to DVD

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/All...e-Rumors/12155

While it is a rumour, the article says that FOX is going to release the First Season on DVD sometime in 2009.

But the real reason I posted this story is because the prediction that FOX will release the Complete Series on the same day as the First Season. Then, FOX will supposedly release the remaining seasons individually later on.

I hope this turns out to be true, not because I am a huge fan of Ally McBeal, but because of the implications such a release schedule could have for many other shows.

LorenzoL 06-20-09 06:30 AM

Re: Ally McBeal Coming Soon to DVD

Isn't this one of the shows that was held back because of music rights? If so, a worst case scenario could be something similar what happened to "WKRP in Cincinnati" first season release, that fans were upset because of "key" music cuts in some episodes.

Gizmo 06-20-09 09:29 AM

Good. Now give me Boston Public

marty888 06-20-09 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 9514950)

:up:

RobCA 06-20-09 10:04 AM

I couldn't care less about Ally McBeal (or Boston Public), but if this leads to the eventual release of L.A. Law, I'm all for it.

Rob

critterdvd 06-20-09 10:59 AM

Interesting idea to release the first season and the complete series at the same time.

Wonder if FOX is going to work on special features for this release.

Johnny Fever 06-20-09 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 9514950)

And the rest of Picket Fences.

bigjim25 06-20-09 09:11 PM

golden_rod 06-20-09 11:20 PM

Might as well just purchase the uncut Region 2 set from Amazon.uk. It's always on sale (I got mine for around $45 shipped) and all of the original music is completely intact. There is absolutely no way that the US release will have all of the original music. Kelley has even said as much.

RobCA 06-21-09 11:07 AM

I really doubt that's the actual Ally McBeal artwork, since the text is in French.

Rob

JB7 06-21-09 01:00 PM

Got notice today from Amazon about the release.

milo bloom 06-22-09 06:51 PM

Just don't see the point of this without all the music. I guess I can hope it means a turning point in how studios negotiate music rights. Maybe they got the point across to artists that they either get a smaller amount, or they get nothing.

davidh777 06-23-09 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by bigjim25 (Post 9515751)
I'll be getting this for sure. I've always loved that pic of Calista they are using on the top of the box. :drool:

That's some drumstick, but why do I expect to see that box sitting by the copy machine for when it needs a refill?

dolphinboy 06-23-09 03:16 AM

Very good news!

Now if I can get Ed and the last 3 seasons of Party of Five, my tv show needs from the past will be complete.

CertifiedTHX 06-24-09 04:34 PM

Good news/bad news. Loved this show, but we all know the original television experience will not be on the discs, and the music was almost as much a character as any of the actors. I'm thinking any song by Vonda Shepard might be preserved. And I don't see how they could possibly cut Barry White, especially not "You're the First, the Last, My Everything." The Biscuit used it way too much. Or are they going to butcher the episodes beyond recognition? I'll be interested to read the reviews.

--THX

Gizmo 06-24-09 06:31 PM

Wonder if they will toss in 'Ally' as well?

golden_rod 06-24-09 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by CertifiedTHX (Post 9523884)
Good news/bad news. Loved this show, but we all know the original television experience will not be on the discs, and the music was almost as much a character as any of the actors. I'm thinking any song by Vonda Shepard might be preserved. And I don't see how they could possibly cut Barry White, especially not "You're the First, the Last, My Everything." The Biscuit used it way too much. Or are they going to butcher the episodes beyond recognition? I'll be interested to read the reviews.

--THX

You would think the Vonda songs would all be included (she's a cast member!), but many of the songs she sang were rather popular songs, so I would imagine clearing all of them for DVD release would be one helluva daunting & expensive task. Plus, in addition to your mention of Barry White, there's music from all of these artists:

Dusty Springfield
Tina Turner
Mariah Carey
Nat King Cole
Roy Orbsion
Don Mclean
Robert Palmer
Al Green
Gladys Knight
Carole King
Tom Waits
Bruce Springsteen

and so on. There's gonna be a lot of music replacement and I'd be willing to bet replacing all of it is why the DVDs have taken so long.

Defiant1 06-27-09 12:17 AM

I'm going to pick up the European version when I go there for vacation in a few months. I'll just get seasons 1 & 2. The show went quickly downhill once Billy died. Season 5 (the final season) was virtually unwatchable with Ally's secret daughter and all the annoying new lawyers.

milo bloom 06-27-09 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 9524159)
Wonder if they will toss in 'Ally' as well?

Totally forgot about that, had to wiki it to refresh my memory. If they go all out and get all the music rights, then adding something like this shouldn't be that hard.

Johnny Fever 06-27-09 11:29 PM

If a show like Miami Vice can get released with the music intact, then I have some hope for Ally McBeal. Who knows, maybe Fox will surprise us for once with a complete and unedited series.

calhoun07 06-28-09 01:28 AM

I would think if they were going with the music removal/replacement mode, they would have put this out years ago. But then again there were other shows that supposedly had music rights issues that took a long time to come out...only to come out with songs removed/terribly edited. WKRP, I am looking your way.

boc4ever 06-28-09 09:41 PM

I bought the UK set (although separately) and have really been enjoying the series. I would definitely consider getting this if there is any doubt about music rights.

Paul1957 08-06-09 02:57 PM

Fox Home Entertainment has announced Ally McBeal: The Complete Series for the 6th October. The 32-disc collection will retail at around $199.98. Extras will include featurettes ("Season 2: Fox Behind The Scenes", "Season 2 TV Special: Life And Trials Of Ally McBeal", "Season 3 Featurette", "Behind The Scenes Of Season 5", "Season 5: Goodbye, Ally", "The Practice” Season 2 – Axe Murderer"), and a Best of Ally McBeal Soundtrack feature.

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/p...iesr1artpi.jpg

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...te-series.html

asianxcore 08-06-09 03:24 PM

Awesome news!!

My girlfriend's brain is going to explode. She's been waiting for a R1 release of the show for the longest time.

Sessa17 08-06-09 04:03 PM

Yeah, same here, but I used to watch it with her if I was home, I always liked the show. It looks like it's in that annoying "The OC"/Batman Animated Complete series box set though, which I can't stand b/c it takes up too much room on my shelves.

Crow331 08-06-09 07:16 PM

Yeah most of these tv shows cut the original music to save money :( Such BS

Wiseguy is one that really suffered with this practice. Though as far as I can tell, Moonlighting seems to have retained all it's songs, to my amazement. I know that Bruce Willis had a lot to do with getting that series released, so maybe he ponied up some of his own money?

calhoun07 08-06-09 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Crow331 (Post 9627685)
Yeah most of these tv shows cut the original music to save money :( Such BS

So the music is being changed for this? I never watched the show in first run, but I'd like to give it a shot, so I doubt I would notice the music changes unless they are painfully obvious (such as when they replace the music with something that sounds like the era the show was made in, but it was filler instrumental music recorded last year.)

kstublen 08-07-09 07:20 PM

TVShowsOnDVD just confirmed that all of the original music is included for the release.

golden_rod 08-07-09 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by kstublen (Post 9630169)
TVShowsOnDVD just confirmed that all of the original music is included for the release.

Holy shit! I'm seriously impressed. I'll stick with my R2 set, but that's awesome news.

drfunky17 08-07-09 09:14 PM

O mah bama! ALL THE ORIGINAL MUSIC?? Lord knows how much scratch Fox dropped on that. This on top of releasing the whole series up front is just a stunningly classy and gracious movie. Look at them, keeping the Fox Home Video promise. What a wonderfully unusual situation. I grew up with the show, watched it ages 10 through 13. This makes the set awfully tempting. I might just wait for Amazon's DOTD on this one though (or DDD's 25% off). I wonder if the show's aged well...

kstublen 08-07-09 09:19 PM

I applaud the Complete Series and First Season release strategy and hope we see more of it.

Eve Brown 08-07-09 09:37 PM

all orginal music makes me tempted even though I do have the region 2 sets

critterdvd 08-07-09 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by drfunky17 (Post 9630321)
O mah bama! ALL THE ORIGINAL MUSIC?? Lord knows how much scratch Fox dropped on that. This on top of releasing the whole series up front is just a stunningly classy and gracious movie. Look at them, keeping the Fox Home Video promise. What a wonderfully unusual situation.

I have a feeling that his release strategy is an experiment from FOX to see just how many people will be willing to buy a series in one single lump-sum instead of collecting the season individually. If the complete series sells well I have a feeling we might see a lot of unthoughtoff series or abandoned series coming out like this.

I've never seen this series but am a fan of the creators and cast and will definitely going to be picking up the complete series comes the next DDD sale.

macnorton 08-08-09 11:56 AM

I might just grab this set. I saw a few episodes and thought it was decent.

All the original music is awesome! Perhaps that is why they are releasing the whole series first. Recoup the cash for the music right up front. This might be the start of a trend...or at least one can hope.

calhoun07 08-08-09 02:25 PM

If this trend continues, I hope the next release is Boston Public The Complete Series!

kstublen 08-08-09 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by calhoun07 (Post 9631225)
If this trend continues, I hope the next release is Boston Public The Complete Series!

I'm hoping for Malcolm In The Middle.

CertifiedTHX 08-09-09 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by kstublen (Post 9630169)

Unbelievable. I had written this off because I knew they were going to wipe out the original music, and I saw no reason to spend well over $100 for something that was nowhere near true to what I saw twelve years ago. Steven Bochco was even quoted as saying a lot of the music was going to be replaced.

Wow.

The question now: Collect season by season or just go for the complete series?

--THX

kstublen 08-09-09 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by CertifiedTHX (Post 9632150)
Unbelievable. I had written this off because I knew they were going to wipe out the original music, and I saw no reason to spend well over $100 for something that was nowhere near true to what I saw twelve years ago. Steven Bochco was even quoted as saying a lot of the music was going to be replaced.

Wow.

The question now: Collect season by season or just go for the complete series?

--THX

Go for the Complete Series and encourage the studios to do this more often. I'm sick of waiting years for a Complete Series or buying a show season-by-season in hopes that they will release everything.

calhoun07 08-09-09 11:08 AM

Exactly. Buying the complete series up front tells the studios that you want this. Nothing in DVD release world sucks more than getting 70% through a series and the studio decides sales aren't strong enough to put the remainder of the show out.

This is probably the first major experiment in home video TV releases since X-Files season one, and every studio is going to be watching to see how this does and, if it's successful, more will follow suit.

critterdvd 08-09-09 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by calhoun07 (Post 9632381)
Exactly. Buying the complete series up front tells the studios that you want this. Nothing in DVD release world sucks more than getting 70% through a series and the studio decides sales aren't strong enough to put the remainder of the show out.

This is probably the first major experiment in home video TV releases since X-Files season one, and every studio is going to be watching to see how this does and, if it's successful, more will follow suit.

Not to mention that the complete series has the bonus disc that you won't get with the individual releases, and at least with amazon's prices it is literally the same exact price - and this way you don't have to wait the year to two years for FOX to release all the other seasons.