DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Ally McBeal Coming Soon to DVD (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/557000-ally-mcbeal-coming-soon-dvd.html)

Crow331 08-06-09 07:16 PM

Re: Ally McBeal Coming Soon to DVD
 
Yeah most of these tv shows cut the original music to save money :( Such BS

Wiseguy is one that really suffered with this practice. Though as far as I can tell, Moonlighting seems to have retained all it's songs, to my amazement. I know that Bruce Willis had a lot to do with getting that series released, so maybe he ponied up some of his own money?

calhoun07 08-06-09 07:21 PM

Re: Ally McBeal Coming Soon to DVD
 

Originally Posted by Crow331 (Post 9627685)
Yeah most of these tv shows cut the original music to save money :( Such BS

So the music is being changed for this? I never watched the show in first run, but I'd like to give it a shot, so I doubt I would notice the music changes unless they are painfully obvious (such as when they replace the music with something that sounds like the era the show was made in, but it was filler instrumental music recorded last year.)

kstublen 08-07-09 07:20 PM

Re: Ally McBeal Coming Soon to DVD
 
TVShowsOnDVD just confirmed that all of the original music is included for the release.

golden_rod 08-07-09 08:14 PM

Re: Ally McBeal Coming Soon to DVD
 

Originally Posted by kstublen (Post 9630169)
TVShowsOnDVD just confirmed that all of the original music is included for the release.

Holy shit! I'm seriously impressed. I'll stick with my R2 set, but that's awesome news.

drfunky17 08-07-09 09:14 PM

Re: Ally McBeal Coming Soon to DVD
 
O mah bama! ALL THE ORIGINAL MUSIC?? Lord knows how much scratch Fox dropped on that. This on top of releasing the whole series up front is just a stunningly classy and gracious movie. Look at them, keeping the Fox Home Video promise. What a wonderfully unusual situation. I grew up with the show, watched it ages 10 through 13. This makes the set awfully tempting. I might just wait for Amazon's DOTD on this one though (or DDD's 25% off). I wonder if the show's aged well...

kstublen 08-07-09 09:19 PM

Re: Ally McBeal Coming Soon to DVD
 
I applaud the Complete Series and First Season release strategy and hope we see more of it.

Eve Brown 08-07-09 09:37 PM

Re: Ally McBeal Coming Soon to DVD
 
all orginal music makes me tempted even though I do have the region 2 sets

critterdvd 08-07-09 10:00 PM

Re: Ally McBeal Coming Soon to DVD
 

Originally Posted by drfunky17 (Post 9630321)
O mah bama! ALL THE ORIGINAL MUSIC?? Lord knows how much scratch Fox dropped on that. This on top of releasing the whole series up front is just a stunningly classy and gracious movie. Look at them, keeping the Fox Home Video promise. What a wonderfully unusual situation.

I have a feeling that his release strategy is an experiment from FOX to see just how many people will be willing to buy a series in one single lump-sum instead of collecting the season individually. If the complete series sells well I have a feeling we might see a lot of unthoughtoff series or abandoned series coming out like this.

I've never seen this series but am a fan of the creators and cast and will definitely going to be picking up the complete series comes the next DDD sale.

macnorton 08-08-09 11:56 AM

Re: Ally McBeal Coming Soon to DVD
 
I might just grab this set. I saw a few episodes and thought it was decent.

All the original music is awesome! Perhaps that is why they are releasing the whole series first. Recoup the cash for the music right up front. This might be the start of a trend...or at least one can hope.

calhoun07 08-08-09 02:25 PM

Re: Ally McBeal Coming Soon to DVD
 
If this trend continues, I hope the next release is Boston Public The Complete Series!

kstublen 08-08-09 03:59 PM

Re: Ally McBeal Coming Soon to DVD
 

Originally Posted by calhoun07 (Post 9631225)
If this trend continues, I hope the next release is Boston Public The Complete Series!

I'm hoping for Malcolm In The Middle.

CertifiedTHX 08-09-09 02:47 AM

Re: Ally McBeal Coming Soon to DVD
 

Originally Posted by kstublen (Post 9630169)
TVShowsOnDVD just confirmed that all of the original music is included for the release.

Unbelievable. I had written this off because I knew they were going to wipe out the original music, and I saw no reason to spend well over $100 for something that was nowhere near true to what I saw twelve years ago. Steven Bochco was even quoted as saying a lot of the music was going to be replaced.

Wow.

The question now: Collect season by season or just go for the complete series?

--THX

kstublen 08-09-09 09:58 AM

Re: Ally McBeal Coming Soon to DVD
 

Originally Posted by CertifiedTHX (Post 9632150)
Unbelievable. I had written this off because I knew they were going to wipe out the original music, and I saw no reason to spend well over $100 for something that was nowhere near true to what I saw twelve years ago. Steven Bochco was even quoted as saying a lot of the music was going to be replaced.

Wow.

The question now: Collect season by season or just go for the complete series?

--THX

Go for the Complete Series and encourage the studios to do this more often. I'm sick of waiting years for a Complete Series or buying a show season-by-season in hopes that they will release everything.

calhoun07 08-09-09 11:08 AM

Re: Ally McBeal Coming Soon to DVD
 
Exactly. Buying the complete series up front tells the studios that you want this. Nothing in DVD release world sucks more than getting 70% through a series and the studio decides sales aren't strong enough to put the remainder of the show out.

This is probably the first major experiment in home video TV releases since X-Files season one, and every studio is going to be watching to see how this does and, if it's successful, more will follow suit.

critterdvd 08-09-09 03:33 PM

Re: Ally McBeal Coming Soon to DVD
 

Originally Posted by calhoun07 (Post 9632381)
Exactly. Buying the complete series up front tells the studios that you want this. Nothing in DVD release world sucks more than getting 70% through a series and the studio decides sales aren't strong enough to put the remainder of the show out.

This is probably the first major experiment in home video TV releases since X-Files season one, and every studio is going to be watching to see how this does and, if it's successful, more will follow suit.

Not to mention that the complete series has the bonus disc that you won't get with the individual releases, and at least with amazon's prices it is literally the same exact price - and this way you don't have to wait the year to two years for FOX to release all the other seasons.

Nick Martin 08-09-09 03:47 PM

Re: Ally McBeal Coming Soon to DVD
 
Consider all the times you were a fan of a series, collected each season as they came out, only to be burned by a Complete Series collector's set that had either better bells and whistles, better packaging or superior versions to the individual releases....the choice is obvious.

I'm not a fan of this show (though it did look very cool when it began and I saw that it featured all these oddball visual effects) but if I were a fan I'd sure as hell jump on buying the whole thing in one shot - it wouldn't even be a choice.

I was slightly burned on "ANGEL", as I got the individual digipaks day and date as they came out, only to see that tiny complete box at such a bargain of a price come out later.
"The OC" was a show I never considered buying because of its (still) high price tag for the individual sets, but I picked up the complete series and got season 1 in widescreen - an exclusive I'm sure pissed a lot of people off, who bought the individual ones.

Price, alternate versions and extras are all good enough points to consider the complete route over individuals.

Apone 08-09-09 03:57 PM

Re: Ally McBeal Coming Soon to DVD
 
The covers are raunchy.

critterdvd 10-05-09 09:44 PM

Re: Ally McBeal Coming Soon to DVD
 
Amazon is price-matching target selling the complete series for $99.99...

I'm seriously tempted but I've never seen a single episode (it was just a television season or two too soon for me) and I'm scared to drop that much at once on a show I don't know if I will watch all 5,000 minutes of...

MTRodaba2468 10-05-09 09:59 PM

Re: Ally McBeal Coming Soon to DVD
 
If I were a fan of the show, I'd definitely buy the Complete Series set, just to show the studios that we want this sort of TV-On-DVD treatment...

wm lopez 10-06-09 04:26 AM

Re: Ally McBeal Coming Soon to DVD
 

Originally Posted by critterdvd (Post 9754029)
Amazon is price-matching target selling the complete series for $99.99...

I'm seriously tempted but I've never seen a single episode (it was just a television season or two too soon for me) and I'm scared to drop that much at once on a show I don't know if I will watch all 5,000 minutes of...

DEEPDISCOUNT is selling it for $159.12. Now even with the 25% off sale in Nov. Amazon looks like the place to go.

Tscott 10-06-09 07:33 AM

Re: Ally McBeal Coming Soon to DVD
 

Originally Posted by critterdvd (Post 9754029)
Amazon is price-matching target selling the complete series for $99.99...

Yes! I knew Amazon would pull through. It had already shipped when I found out about the Target price. I should be getting a $25 refund on my order.

kstublen 10-06-09 10:04 AM

Re: Ally McBeal Coming Soon to DVD
 
My Target didn't have any of The Complete Series in stock, despite it being in the ad. Luckily though, my Best Buy still price matched it for me. I'm glad I got it at Best Buy though, because I need the Reward Zone Points and don't mind paying the little extra in tax so I spend enough to stay in the Premier Silver Membership. Hopefully these sell well and the studios will continue to release complete series on day one.

liquidevil 10-06-09 12:06 PM

Re: Ally McBeal Coming Soon to DVD
 
Can someone take some pictures of what it looks like (not the official studio ones).

moviezzz 10-06-09 04:05 PM

Re: Ally McBeal Coming Soon to DVD
 
What is the packaging for this? With 31 discs, are they all in individual cases? Are they divided into seasons?

wm lopez 10-06-09 05:54 PM

Re: Ally McBeal Coming Soon to DVD
 

Originally Posted by Tscott (Post 9754417)
Yes! I knew Amazon would pull through. It had already shipped when I found out about the Target price. I should be getting a $25 refund on my order.

Will they really do that?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:34 AM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.