Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

DVD Cataloging - What Program Do You Use?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
View Poll Results: What Cataloging System Do You Use?
DVDProfiler
44.30%
DVDAficionado
26.16%
DVDPedia
3.38%
Delicious Library
2.95%
Microsoft Word/Excel
6.75%
Other
9.70%
None At All
6.75%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

DVD Cataloging - What Program Do You Use?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-10, 09:21 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: DVD Cataloging - What Program Do You Use?

Originally Posted by kstublen
See my Sig.

The only thing I want to add is an "Titles" column, but I have to wait until Google Docs supports the drop-down menu function that Excel offers.
Thanks, that's pretty much what I have now however I never bothered to include a column for UPC's.

Am I missing something? You do have a "Titles" column, don't know what you mean by a drop-down menu function like Excel offers.
Old 04-04-10, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by supermike07
Thanks, that's pretty much what I have now however I never bothered to include a column for UPC's.

Am I missing something? You do have a "Titles" column, don't know what you mean by a drop-down menu function like Excel offers.
So basically, Google Docs' Microsoft Excel is a less fancy version of Windows Microsoft Excel. You can do a lot of the basic stuff, but as far as some of the more "advanced" things are concerned, they aren't yet available on Google Docs' version. What I have right now on Google Docs is the "DVD Title," but what I want to have is the "DVD Title" in addition to "Included Titles" (for box sets, complete season sets, etc.) On Windows Microsoft Excel you can set up one spreadsheet (I have it as DVD_Owned) and another spreadsheet (I have it as DVD_Titles), and have cells on the former spreadsheet reference cells on the latter spreadsheet. When you do this using a specific formula and formatting you can make a drop-down menu. The result is as follows:

EDIT: That is what I really want to do with my Google Docs Excel sheet, but you can't do it yet.

Last edited by kstublen; 04-04-10 at 09:50 PM.
Old 04-05-10, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have mine done in Word but just started to compile an Excel one. I use the following columns:

Title
Sub-Title (instead of a drop down box)
Year
Genre
Time
Starring (just one main Star)
Color (B&W or Color)
Episodes (number for episodes in a TV show, Miniseries, etc...)
Type (Film, or TV)
Format (DVD or Blu-Ray)

I may change the order around later but for now I am just entering all the data. I know I will have to play with it quite a bit later as I want to be able to print it to fit on a letter size paper. So amount of column are limited. And just looking at it now, I know it's not going to print out in the same order I have my collection in the book cases.

For example I have (on a shelf) all the Sherlock Holmes together but noticed that if I put a "Star" (say Rathbone, Cushing, etc...) in when I sort the list it will not keep them together so I will have to put in Sherlock Holmes as the star. The same with the Ray Harryhousen films, Star Trek, etc...

I want to be able to sort the list by Genre, then Star, then Title, so I will have to fiddle with it to keep all the Holmes, Star Wars, Star Trek, etc.. together.

It's not as easy as it sounds though.

James
Old 04-05-10, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by JamesDFarrow
I have mine done in Word but just started to compile an Excel one. I use the following columns:

Title
Sub-Title (instead of a drop down box)
Year
Genre
Time
Starring (just one main Star)
Color (B&W or Color)
Episodes (number for episodes in a TV show, Miniseries, etc...)
Type (Film, or TV)
Format (DVD or Blu-Ray)

...if I put a "Star" (say Rathbone, Cushing, etc...) in when I sort the list it will not keep them together so I will have to put in Sherlock Holmes as the star. The same with the Ray Harryhousen films, Star Trek, etc...
My suggestion is to add a Series field. Personally, I think you could get away with sacrificing your Type field. If you're only entering values for TV shows in your Episodes field, then that can double as an indication that the item is, in fact, a TV show. I also suspect that the Color field is expendable, but you'd know better than me just how important that is to you.
Old 04-05-10, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So basically, Google Docs' Microsoft Excel is a less fancy version of Windows Microsoft Excel. You can do a lot of the basic stuff, but as far as some of the more "advanced" things are concerned, they aren't yet available on Google Docs' version. What I have right now on Google Docs is the "DVD Title," but what I want to have is the "DVD Title" in addition to "Included Titles" (for box sets, complete season sets, etc.) On Windows Microsoft Excel you can set up one spreadsheet (I have it as DVD_Owned) and another spreadsheet (I have it as DVD_Titles), and have cells on the former spreadsheet reference cells on the latter spreadsheet. When you do this using a specific formula and formatting you can make a drop-down menu. The result is as follows:

EDIT: That is what I really want to do with my Google Docs Excel sheet, but you can't do it yet.
Try doing a pivot table. Those are supported with an application gadget. http://google-pivot-tables.blogspot.com/
Old 04-05-10, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

See my Sig.

The only thing I want to add is an "Titles" column, but I have to wait until Google Docs supports the drop-down menu function that Excel offers.
Can I ask how you made your collection like that? Meaning having the links at the top to go to a separate section for Blu-Ray & CD? I've never used Google docs for a spreadsheet so I'm not sure if that's something easy or what. Thanks!
Old 04-05-10, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

I tried the demo verisons of DVD Profiler and Collectorz. I ended up going with Collectorz (http://www.collectorz.com/movie/) as it was more versitile and does all movie types (DVD, Blu-Ray, VHS, LaserDisc, etc). Also, around Christmas time there was a discount and rebate (don't remember details). I do remember I took the rebate money not $$ off another software title. I am glad that I did as not too long after I registered, they gave me a 50% off another Collectorz title, so I bit on their music version which will do CD, LP, MP3, etc with a very similar GUI interface. All in all, the only complaint I had was I had to pay my CC a foreign transaction fee.
Old 04-05-10, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In addition, Collectorz Movie Collector software allows for Text exports as well output to a Palm based (not starting Palm vs iPhone vs Blackberry debate either) output. It also has iPhone apps, etc.
Old 04-05-10, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I use DVD Profiler and really enjoy it. But I wanted a portable version of my collection that I can see on my Android phone. So I have came up with this.

At the moment I just want to be able to see my collection when I am at a store so I don't buy something I already have. I still have some more tweaks, but it is a start.
Old 04-07-10, 09:29 PM
MGR

Originally Posted by b2net
I tried the demo verisons of DVD Profiler and Collectorz. I ended up going with Collectorz (http://www.collectorz.com/movie/) as it was more versitile and does all movie types (DVD, Blu-Ray, VHS, LaserDisc, etc). Also, around Christmas time there was a discount and rebate (don't remember details). I do remember I took the rebate money not $$ off another software title. I am glad that I did as not too long after I registered, they gave me a 50% off another Collectorz title, so I bit on their music version which will do CD, LP, MP3, etc with a very similar GUI interface. All in all, the only complaint I had was I had to pay my CC a foreign transaction fee.
Hi. I'm still waffling between Profiler and Collectorz.
Would you mind being a bit more specific and tell us which features caused you to select Collectorz over Profiler? Thanks!

Also FYI, there currently appears to be a Collectorz $10 discount coupon mentioned on their Twitter (an April 2nd tweet and again on April 5th). Twitter link was on their home page.

Finally, I wonder if Paypal is used to pay Collectorz, if a CC foreign transaction fee can be avoided?
Old 04-08-10, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MGR
Would you mind being a bit more specific and tell us which features caused you to select Collectorz over Profiler? Thanks!

Also FYI, there currently appears to be a Collectorz $10 discount coupon mentioned on their Twitter (an April 2nd tweet and again on April 5th). Twitter link was on their home page.

Finally, I wonder if Paypal is used to pay Collectorz, if a CC foreign transaction fee can be avoided?
If I were you, I'd just do the trial versions and decide for myself before spending any money.

As for me, I use Collectorz because it has more than just DVD, HD-DVD, and Blu-ray. I can also export a list to my cell phone, to make sure I don't buy the same thing twice when I'm in a store.

If you have some web hosting, paid or free(I'm using free), you can export it to a web page and there's different styles to choose from. If you want, I linked to mine in my signature and from there you should be able to find the hosting, if you're interested.
Old 04-09-10, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I love my Collectorz software and have been using it for a few years, even with DVDSpot for my online listings. I was a bit disappointed when they moved away from using IMDB, Amazon, etc. as data sources, but their new database is pretty good and you can still fully customize your entries. And if you know some XML you can fully customize or create your own view/print/export templates. Their new online Connect feature is excellent as well, particularly when used in synchronization with the offline version (though the online can be used as standalone). You can check out my Collectorz Connect collection with the main link on my sig. As Mister Peepers mentioned you can also create an HTML export as well for free from the standalone version if you have your own webpage.
Old 04-10-10, 12:01 AM

I converted my DVDAf account to DVD Profiler. I like how you can have charts and such. I wish you could make your own sub menus and categorize your collections would be a nice feature.
Old 04-10-10, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by PHMustang2000
I converted my DVDAf account to DVD Profiler. I like how you can have charts and such. I wish you could make your own sub menus and categorize your collections would be a nice feature.
There are several things that you can use in Profiler, custom genres, custom catagories, and you can use tags.
Old 04-10-10, 01:51 AM

Can you import of any kind on dvd collectorz? Like maybe just a notepad with UPC's or an excel document. I can't seem to find this answer anywhere.
Old 04-10-10, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You can import a .TXT file with title and UPC's like you mentioned and it will search their database for the title. There is also an import from DVDprofiler, but that is about it.
Old 04-13-10, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MGR
I did the same thing for quite a while.. but.. for me.. Overall, collectorz had more stuff to use than profiler.. I downloaded and tried both. I suggest doing the same. Then pick the one that fits your needs/wants.
Old 04-16-10, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts

dkedvd: Can I make some suggestions?

Get a grammar checker to check your faq page - I got so frustrated reading it that I gave up.

Spell check the "The Collection" Page along with checking the grammar.

If you don't plan on putting any numbers on the "yearly purchases/spending" page than why bother with having it?

Finally - I wonder HOW/WHY X (the administrator) lets you get away with so blatantly advertising your own site - when I try to get people to look at my site he deletes my posts! I guess it's simple favoritism.
Old 04-16-10, 04:17 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

^ Sound a little too bitter there Dan....

But anyway, anyone else hesitant to list the prices they paid in a public place, in case they ever have to file an insurance claim?

I know that my insurance covers replacement value, but I would rather not deal with the possibility of an argument over the value.
Old 04-16-10, 06:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Trevor

But anyway, anyone else hesitant to list the prices they paid in a public place, in case they ever have to file an insurance claim?

I know that my insurance covers replacement value, but I would rather not deal with the possibility of an argument over the value.
I would just have that page go mysteriously missing.
Old 04-16-10, 06:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by danwiz
dkedvd: Can I make some suggestions?

Get a grammar checker to check your faq page - I got so frustrated reading it that I gave up.

Spell check the "The Collection" Page along with checking the grammar.

If you don't plan on putting any numbers on the "yearly purchases/spending" page than why bother with having it?

Finally - I wonder HOW/WHY X (the administrator) lets you get away with so blatantly advertising your own site - when I try to get people to look at my site he deletes my posts! I guess it's simple favoritism.
I happen to like my grammar thank you very much. So deal! There will be totals on the spending/purchases page, they are just not there yet. And true, that is a bit of advertising but at the same time this thread is about what program you use to catalog your collection. Well I use my own. And it might be more difficult than using something like DVDAF but anyone can do it. It's an option for all. I would like to add that it is nice to know that some people (or just you) think that the administrator (I have no idea who he/she is) favors me over others. I must be more popular than I thought! Or at least more popular than you.

Last edited by dkedvd; 04-16-10 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-18-10, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor

Guess it depends on how the policy is worded. Is it "cost of replacement" or "cost paid"?
Old 04-18-10, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by dkedvd
I happen to like my grammar thank you very much. So deal!
Whether you like it or not, Danwiz does have a point. If you are going to write your page in English, you really should use correct English. This includes proper grammar. I too gave up on the FAQ page partly because of the tough reading, but also because I was more interested in seeing the actual layout of your collection list.
Old 04-18-10, 03:20 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
Guess it depends on how the policy is worded. Is it "cost of replacement" or "cost paid"?
Yeah, and I've heard horror stories of insurance companies denying claims or short changing people.

My collection might be (random guesses) 5,000 titles at $5 per, but it took lots of work, lots of time, and unique circumstances to get that. If I had to re-create my collection at that cost, it would take me ten years of careful shopping, and I'd still probably have to pay much more due to stuff being out of print.

I pay for insurance so that I can just get the entire thing back quickly, which would probably cost $15 per title if not more.
Old 04-18-10, 11:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jjcool
Whether you like it or not, Danwiz does have a point. If you are going to write your page in English, you really should use correct English. This includes proper grammar. I too gave up on the FAQ page partly because of the tough reading, but also because I was more interested in seeing the actual layout of your collection list.
I just write like I talk. It's the only way I know how. Otherwise I fell what I'm writing isn't me.
Since I'm guessing you looked, what did you think of the collection layout?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.