DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Coraline DVD & bluray 2-D and 3-D editions

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-09, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coraline DVD & bluray 2-D and 3-D editions

and info regarding bonus features:

the 2-disc edition of Coraline due out July 21st (the same day as Watchmen), and it’s said to include 4 pairs of 3D glasses.

CORALINE can be viewed in either the standard 2-D format, or a special 3-D presentation with four pairs of supplied glasses (on both DVD or Blu-ray). Universal is releasing a Collector’s Edition DVD (SRP $34.98), or Blu-ray ($39.98), both of which include bonus Digital Copy along with additional extras (see following). The studio is also releasing a basic DVD (SRP $29.98), again with 2-D & 3-D viewing options, but omits most of the bonus features (and lacks Digital Copy)

BONUS FEATURES include:
Collector’s Edition Blu-ray:
Packaged with two discs (BD & DVD)
Disc One: Blu-ray
• Includes both the regular 2D version and a 3D version of the Theatrical Cut on a dual-layer disc (with 4 pairs of 3D glasses)
• U Control - Picture in Picture (2-D Feature Only)
• U Control - Tours and Voice Sessions (2-D Feature Only)
• U Control - Picture in Picture Animatic (2-D Feature Only)
• Deleted Scenes
• The Making of Coraline
• Voicing the Characters
• Creepy Coraline
• Feature Commentary with director Henry Selick and composer Bruno Coulais
• D-Box Enabled
• BD Live - My Scenes Sharing
• BD Live - The World According to Henry
Disc Two: DVD
• 2D Version of the Theatrical Cut
• Bonus Digital Copy of the 2D Version (Expires 07/31/2010)
• Feature Commentary with director Henry Selick and composer Bruno Coulais

Collector’s Edition DVD:
Packaged with two discs
Disc One:
• Includes both the regular 2D version (Side A) and a 3D version (Side B) of the Theatrical Cut (with 4 pairs of 3D glasses)
• Feature Commentary with director Henry Selick and composer Bruno Coulais (on both sides)
Disc Two: Bonus Disc
• Digital Copy of 2D Version (Expires 07/31/2010)
• Deleted Scenes
• The Making of Coraline
• Voicing the Characters

Basic DVD:
• Includes both the regular 2D version (Side A) and a 3D version (Side B) of the Theatrical Cut (with 4 pairs of 3D glasses)
• Feature Commentary with director Henry Selick and composer Bruno Coulais (on both sides)
Old 06-06-09, 06:11 PM
Cool New Member

Re: Coraline DVD & bluray 2-D and 3-D editions

Has Universal ever made a double sided dvd that worked properly?
Old 06-06-09, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

All of these refer to the "theatrical cut" is there another cut coming soon? I'm also very irritated that even though they are releasing the BD with a DVD version included, that the DVD only includes the 2D version! If that weren't the case I'd definitely buy the BD, instead I'll just get 2 disc DVD
Old 06-07-09, 05:59 AM

What a great film. Saw it twice in the theaters. Looking forward to getting this on DVD.
Old 06-07-09, 03:08 PM

wow - nice! Never got to see it in the cinema but my friend saw it 3x and she told me it rocks.

my little cousins'll love to hear about it coming out soon. I've been wondering about it myself. Thanks for the info.

I can't believe the screen resolution of 2-D though. Accidently started watching My Bloody Valentine on the 2-D side and I thought my TV was at fault. 3-D rocks.
Old 06-07-09, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I watched the DVD of this today and it looks amazing. Can't wait to pick up the Blu-ray version.
Old 06-07-09, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stupid question here....my daughter and I saw "Monsters vs. Aliens" in 3-D and we both loved, especially since it's apparently this "new" kind of 3-D (not the red and blue glasses, but the other kind...don't know the terminology). However, we've also got the Hannah Montana concert dvd in 3-D and think it's terrible (music aside). So which is this dvd/blu-ray?
Old 06-07-09, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mazje
Stupid question here....my daughter and I saw "Monsters vs. Aliens" in 3-D and we both loved, especially since it's apparently this "new" kind of 3-D (not the red and blue glasses, but the other kind...don't know the terminology). However, we've also got the Hannah Montana concert dvd in 3-D and think it's terrible (music aside). So which is this dvd/blu-ray?
red/blue

The stuff they're showing in theaters now, in part, works based off of reflections off the silver screen which we don't have at home.

You're average HD set at home is going to have a progressive image which won't let you use stuff like shutter glasses but I think Samsung was working on HD sets that will support 3D in the future.
Old 06-10-09, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

I don't understand why they don't release these things in the brown/blue format like the Monsters vs Aliens Superbowl ad. It's the only 3-D I've ever seen that actually works. I downloaded some .MOV files from a gallery and it looks every bit as good as theatrical 3-D with only the slightest color distortion. It's even watchable without the glasses for when you want to give your eyes a break. In any case, it blows red/blue out of the water.
Old 06-10-09, 10:19 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mazje

"polarized" 3D presentation - the technology isn't that new considering that when 3D was initially released theatrically (1950's), it was up to the theatres and how they wanted to present it, polarized being the more expensive way to go, with specific 'silver' screens. Anaglyph presentations, with red/blue glasses was the cheaper alternate for theatres.

Last edited by Giles; 06-10-09 at 10:21 AM.
Old 06-10-09, 10:20 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
I don't understand why they don't release these things in the brown/blue format like the Monsters vs Aliens Superbowl ad. It's the only 3-D I've ever seen that actually works. I downloaded some .MOV files from a gallery and it looks every bit as good as theatrical 3-D with only the slightest color distortion. It's even watchable without the glasses for when you want to give your eyes a break. In any case, it blows red/blue out of the water.

I was watching a smidgen of Friday the 13th Part 3 in 3D on DVD and that gave me a headache.
Old 07-27-09, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)

I'm curious if anyone knows - I held onto the polarized glasses they gave us at the theater after this one and Monsters vs Aliens (all the same stuff at our local theaters every time they do a 3D flick) - I'm wondering if they'd improve the picture experience on the DVD compared to the included glasses - or if it's just a matter of the way the dvd was encoded - plus the way my TV displays it?
Old 07-27-09, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Tuan Jim
I'm curious if anyone knows - I held onto the polarized glasses they gave us at the theater after this one and Monsters vs Aliens (all the same stuff at our local theaters every time they do a 3D flick) - I'm wondering if they'd improve the picture experience on the DVD compared to the included glasses - or if it's just a matter of the way the dvd was encoded - plus the way my TV displays it?
2 color 3D and polarized 3D are incompatible technologies. 2 color 3D is the image in two different colors, with the lenses of the glasses filtering out one color from each eye. This can be used to trick your brain into thinking it's 3D.

Essentially the way polarized 3D works is two images have to be projected, one with light in a vertical wavelength, the other with light in a horizontal wave length. Each lens filters out one type of wavelength, thus tricking your brain in a similar way 2 color 3D does, but you can use the full color spectrum unlike 2 color 3D.

I'm pretty sure there are few to no TVs currently on the market that support polarized 3D.
Old 07-28-09, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
"polarized" 3D presentation - the technology isn't that new considering that when 3D was initially released theatrically (1950's), it was up to the theatres and how they wanted to present it, polarized being the more expensive way to go, with specific 'silver' screens. Anaglyph presentations, with red/blue glasses was the cheaper alternate for theatres.
It's true that all the 3-D features in the 1950's were released in polarized format. However, there were NOT red/blue anaglyph versions available to theaters. Fact is, the very few classic 3-D movies that were later converted to anaglyph were done so twenty years later for re-issue. Except for a few old shorts and burlesque segments; the studios used polarized format and clear glasses exclusively in the 1950's. Not one of the 51 big studio releases went out in anaglyph; it just did NOT happen. If you've seen CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON or one of the others in red/blue anaglyph; those prints were created in the early 70s and do not represent in any way the look of the original 3-D process.

Anaglyph has never been the standard; it's always been the exception. That's probably because it has always sucked.

Last edited by Steve Phillips; 07-28-09 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-28-09, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Bluth54
2 color 3D and polarized 3D are incompatible technologies. 2 color 3D is the image in two different colors, with the lenses of the glasses filtering out one color from each eye. This can be used to trick your brain into thinking it's 3D.

Essentially the way polarized 3D works is two images have to be projected, one with light in a vertical wavelength, the other with light in a horizontal wave length. Each lens filters out one type of wavelength, thus tricking your brain in a similar way 2 color 3D does, but you can use the full color spectrum unlike 2 color 3D.

I'm pretty sure there are few to no TVs currently on the market that support polarized 3D.
The current technique uses a circular polarization technology rather than the old linear polarization.
Old 07-28-09, 06:19 PM

The current technique uses a circular polarization technology rather than the old linear polarization.
I didn't know there was something besides linear polarization, how exactly does circular polarization work?
Old 07-28-09, 07:31 PM

Honestly, if you can figure it out, explain it to me. It's the same basic concept, but it has to do with it being polarized in a circular interference pattern. There's a left-handed and right-handed version. The benefit is that if you tilt your head, you don't lose the effect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circular_polarization
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3-D_fil...zation_systems
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_D_Cinema
Old 07-28-09, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just like "Journey To The Center Of The Earth 3D", I don't like how this was packaged with the 3D glasses. With the double-sided disc, the 3D glasses kinda scratched up the main disc.
Old 07-28-09, 10:55 PM

Honestly, if you can figure it out, explain it to me. It's the same basic concept, but it has to do with it being polarized in a circular interference pattern. There's a left-handed and right-handed version. The benefit is that if you tilt your head, you don't lose the effect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circular_polarization
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3-D_fil...zation_systems
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_D_Cinema
I really only understand the basic principle of how it works, though those were very interesting reads.

Originally Posted by manicsounds
Just like "Journey To The Center Of The Earth 3D", I don't like how this was packaged with the 3D glasses. With the double-sided disc, the 3D glasses kinda scratched up the main disc.
Yeah my disk was also a little scratched up, but I think it was only the 3D side that was scratched up and I'm not planning on watching that side. Really though they should of just put the movie on 2 single sided disks.
Old 08-09-09, 06:07 AM

Can someone post screenprints of the bonus material on the second disc? Non-Target exclusive version. This is for the standard DVD not BD.

Thanks!
Old 08-09-09, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

you mean screenshots of the menu?
Old 08-09-09, 06:25 AM

Yes. Just of the menu(s) of the bonus material on the second disc.
Old 08-09-09, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition