Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Homicide: Life on The Street - The Complete Series (repackaged) (9/29/09)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Homicide: Life on The Street - The Complete Series (repackaged) (9/29/09)

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-09, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Homicide: Life on The Street - The Complete Series (repackaged) (9/29/09)

Originally Posted by kingtopher
I got it in a sale Deep Discount had a couple of years ago where they had a buy 1 get 1 free sale. I got 2 copies of the Homicide set and sold one on half.com and wound up only paying like $30 for the copy I kept, which was awesome.
I did the same thing, except I sold the extra on Amazon. Still haven't gotten around to watching this yet. I also have the Wire series set sitting on my shelf, unwatched. I probably should start watching them soon.
Old 06-09-09, 05:49 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I bought this set for my wife this past Christmas, so I decided to go back to my e-mails and check to see how much I paid. I really wish I hadn't.

Amazon Marketplace Receipt

Date: 13-December-2008

Order #: XXXXXXXXXXXX

1 of Homicide Life on the Street - Complete Series Megaset (35pc)
[DVD] (2006... $260.00

Buyer: [email protected]
Seller: [email protected]
Shipping & Handling: $2.98
Your Total: $262.98
Ugh.
Old 06-09-09, 09:06 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
I really wish I hadn't.
Just keep telling yourself that, at the time, it was a pretty good per season price for the absolute best show in network television history.

But yeah, I have a few stories like that too......
Old 06-10-09, 08:43 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Just keep telling yourself that, at the time, it was a pretty good per season price for the absolute best show in network television history.

But yeah, I have a few stories like that too......
Even worse, it was an upgrade from the individual season sets -- my wife was lamenting the amount of space our DVDs take up, so over the past year or so, we've traded in our individual season sets for complete series where we could. So I actually paid that much for two crossover episodes and a TV movie (plus some more compact packaging).

Oh well. It's only money.
Old 06-19-09, 04:59 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen this listed elsewhere with a street date of 10/20/09 and 35 discs so we'll see...

Also Dr. Quinn Complete price drop here at 10/20:

http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Quinn-Medic...448577&sr=1-14
Old 06-19-09, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by kingtopher
I got it in a sale Deep Discount had a couple of years ago where they had a buy 1 get 1 free sale. I got 2 copies of the Homicide set and sold one on half.com and wound up only paying like $30 for the copy I kept, which was awesome.
Me too - except I had a coworker that wanted it too, so we each got one for (I think it was) 67.00.

And to tag onto the other debate: IMO, The Wire is the best show ever. But it never would've happened if it wasn't for Homicide paving the way (and The Sopranos for upping the ante on cable).

But Homicide is a wonderful show, and I can't imagine liking one, but not the other.
Old 07-14-09, 06:09 PM
Banned

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Hom...e-Series/12298

Looks like the file cabinet design will only be on the artwork for this version but all the material is there.
Old 07-15-09, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by cracksky
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Hom...e-Series/12298

Looks like the file cabinet design will only be on the artwork for this version but all the material is there.
I saw that too. I'm fine with the change in packaging.
Everyone should own this series. It is the best cop show ever, bar none.
Old 08-01-09, 10:23 PM

I'm so excited to see that this set is coming back into print. The neurotic side of me wants to wait to own the movie before embarking on watching the entire series, but I'm sure it's just a fun little coda anyway. I absolutely loved Fontana's Oz and Simon's The Wire (and wished I had watched this one first), so I'm thrilled to own and finally watch this one.
Old 08-02-09, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by JckRbbitSlim
I'm so excited to see that this set is coming back into print. The neurotic side of me wants to wait to own the movie before embarking on watching the entire series, but I'm sure it's just a fun little coda anyway. I absolutely loved Fontana's Oz and Simon's The Wire (and wished I had watched this one first), so I'm thrilled to own and finally watch this one.
After you get to it, let us know if you think you were right about the movie. I suspect you might not.
Old 08-03-09, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wait, there's a movie that comes before the series or something? I've never seen this series but after falling in love with The Wire, I'm very interested in it. Someone please enlighten me.
Old 08-03-09, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Kory
Wait, there's a movie that comes before the series or something? I've never seen this series but after falling in love with The Wire, I'm very interested in it. Someone please enlighten me.
There is a made-for-TV movie that was made after the series was canceled and it should only be viewed after you've watched every episode. It was available on the original complete set so hopefully it will be on this one.
Old 08-03-09, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

JckRbbtSlim referred to it as a "coda," and since lisadoris has already explained that the movie follows the series, think of this as your new word for the day.

co-da, n. 3. a concluding section or part, esp. one of a conventional form and serving as a summation of preceding themes, motifs, etc., as in a work of literature or drama. (I omitted the other definitions.)

Also, it might interest you to know that prior to creating the series, David Simon spent a year with the Baltimore police doing research. He published a book containing his observations, Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets. The series wasn't a literal adaptation (you won't find anyone with the same name, for starters), but if you really want to get to where this series and The Wire originated for Simon, this is where you should go. I think it's out of print at the moment, but it shouldn't be too hard to find at a used bookstore or online.
Old 08-27-09, 04:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cracksky
I've seen this listed elsewhere with a street date of 10/20/09 and 35 discs so we'll see...
As I said back in June, this is getting pushed back to October 20...

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Hom...e-Series/12559
Old 08-31-09, 01:26 PM
Banned

Re: Homicide: Life on The Street - The Complete Series (repackaged) (10/20/09)

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Hom...e-Series/12590

Old 08-31-09, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by n.phelge
I can hope, but I'm sure if this is just a repackaging that it won't include closed captions.
I blind-bought this show a while ago. I have tried to start-up twice; the lack of closed captioning or subtitles is making this impossible. I'm thinking about selling my set and forgetting about ever trying to watch this show. I am having trouble understanding more than 50% of the dialogue.
Old 08-31-09, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by awil1026
I blind-bought this show a while ago. I have tried to start-up twice; the lack of closed captioning or subtitles is making this impossible. I'm thinking about selling my set and forgetting about ever trying to watch this show. I am having trouble understanding more than 50% of the dialogue.
Oh man. I really wanted the original packaging but now I might not buy it at all. We'll see if the new one rectifies this situation.
Old 08-31-09, 05:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Oh man. I really wanted the original packaging but now I might not buy it at all. We'll see if the new one rectifies this situation.
It looks like the same DVD's but in a more economical box.
Old 08-31-09, 08:40 PM

Well if you decide to sell your set (the drawer version, right) I might be interested for the right price.
Old 08-31-09, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
It won't. The cost to close caption and re-author 120+ episodes is astronomical and the re-release will never sell enough copies to come close to recouping that HUGE expense.
Old 08-31-09, 09:57 PM

Well if you decide to sell your set (the drawer version, right) I might be interested for the right price.
It is indeed the original complete set, but I already have a friend who will buy it if I sell it. I want to watch the show, but it would be very challenging for me.
Old 09-01-09, 09:07 AM

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

Does this one come with the Law & Order crossovers? It looks like it is the seasons and the movies.
Old 09-01-09, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Are you hearing impaired? I haven't had any trouble with the dialogue.
Old 09-01-09, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by slop101
Are you hearing impaired? I haven't had any trouble with the dialogue.
Yes. I have a hearing loss of about 40% in my left ear. This is only a problem with DVDs and Blu-rays. I understand close to 100% of the dialogue on television and in theaters. With DVDs and Blus--unless I'm watching with someone else--I use the subtitles as a crutch. With a typical DVD/BD, I probably understand 75% of the dialogue without aid. I'm understanding less than 50% with Homicide.
Old 09-01-09, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Yes. I have a hearing loss of about 40% in my left ear. This is only a problem with DVDs and Blu-rays. I understand close to 100% of the dialogue on television and in theaters. With DVDs and Blus--unless I'm watching with someone else--I use the subtitles as a crutch. With a typical DVD/BD, I probably understand 75% of the dialogue without aid. I'm understanding less than 50% with Homicide.
That does suck. I know that there is alot of fast paced dialogue in Homicide, and can see where one might have trouble. I havent watched the seasons in a while, but I too tend to watch them with the subtitles on, if they were available. Is the issue that the discs dont have subtitles NOR captioning?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.