DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   How many rent TV Shows through Netflix? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/556212-how-many-rent-tv-shows-through-netflix.html)

PHMustang2000 06-05-09 10:10 AM

How many rent TV Shows through Netflix?

One of my favorite things to do through Netflix is rent discs by disc. It helps prevent a blind buy from turning into something you don't want to own and have it collect dust. Because of Netflix I got hooked to some good shows that I never watched on the TV because it is faster.

Because of Netflix I instantly become a collector of 24, Alias, Dark Angel, Angel, Charmed, Cheers, The Dead Zone,Dead Like Me, Joan of Arcadia, Freaks and Geeks.

Have any of you discovered a show through Netflix? How many discs did you go through before you got hooked? What Shows got you?

I always can find some shows that look interesting but if the first 2 discs don't get me hooked. I don't consider buying the rest of the show.
Recently now, I just watched the first disc of Ghost Whisperer and I am hooked. I think I will try disc 2 and see how the story lines go after that. Netflix is great for these reasons. Have any of you done the same?

rw2516 06-05-09 11:05 AM

Re: How many rent TV Shows through Netflix?

I'll rent saturday morning cartoon shows from when I was a kid to see if I can still enjoy them before buying. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

drmar35mm 06-05-09 11:07 AM

My wife & I get a lot of British shows from Netflix, like Midsommer Murders and Primeval and Torchwood. We like them a lot, but not enough to pay what the sets cost. Some series that we've bought after viewing them on Netflix include Doctor Who, Lovejoy, Due South, Horatio Hornblower, Nero Wolfe, Rosemary & Thyme, Psych and Burn Notice (some pricey, some on sale).

Travis McClain 06-05-09 12:09 PM

This is how I got to watch most of The Sopranos, as HBO just wasn't a priority otherwise. Also, I subscribe to the Classic Tales Podcast and that got my wife and me interested in P.G. Wodehouse's "Jeeves" stories. We were thrilled to discover that early 90s British TV series, Jeeves and Wooster (starring Hugh Laurie and Steven Fry) and that has been a Netflix priority for us recently.

bdots48 06-05-09 12:49 PM

I'm working my way through In Treatment and True Blood right now. The only series I remember purchasing after renting with Netflix is Extras (the price was right).

johnbook 06-05-09 12:51 PM

I have, i've rented The Fugitive "the 60's classic" and instantly got hooked, will definately purchase that series, my next series to rent will be Mr. Belvedere.

DJariya 06-05-09 01:25 PM

Definitely saves you some $$$$ on blind buying TV shows that you've never seen.

I'm watching True Blood season 1 since I don't have HBO anymore.

Also watched the old ABC show What about Brian? which I really enjoyed too.

Also, Netflix's streaming option is good if you missed an episode or 2 from that current season of most of CBS' shows like NCIS or any of the CSI's. I used it to catch a few episodes I missed during the season without having to watch them on CBS.com or wait for a DVD release.

JakeNeff 06-05-09 02:22 PM

I find it a better value to buy TV sets from one of the 25% off sales or Amazon Marketplace and then resell after I'm done watching. Occasionally I'll actually make a little money. Other times I'll basically break even or lose a few dollars, but it frees up my Netflix queue for other things and depending on how many discs I get in a month, may actually be a cheaper cost per disc.

Travis McClain 06-05-09 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by JakeNeff (Post 9488110)
I find it a better value to buy TV sets from one of the 25% off sales or Amazon Marketplace and then resell after I'm done watching. Occasionally I'll actually make a little money. Other times I'll basically break even or lose a few dollars, but it frees up my Netflix queue for other things and depending on how many discs I get in a month, may actually be a cheaper cost per disc.

Our budget doesn't exactly allow me to buy so many DVD's in a month to enjoy the economies of scale. I get what you're saying, and I'm sure the math checks on it but there's just no way I'm going to convince my wife we should shell out $45 to buy The Complete Jeeves and Wooster as a blind buy with the expectation that we'll still come out ahead by flipping it when we're done with it.

nemein 06-05-09 02:51 PM

I usually have one "slot" from Netflix set aside for TV series. Just finished Man from Uncle season 2 and have to figure out what to do next. The "watch now" is great for TV as well, esp on some sort of Netflix ready device (Tivo or 360).

JakeNeff 06-05-09 03:15 PM

Yeah, I totally get you there. It seems like a lot to spend and my wife had also been resistant, but eventually I have gotten to the point where I'm selling and buying from the same block of funds that I keep set aside. Other than a small weekly allowance I give myself to maintain the "fund", I rarely spend additional money.

I used to do it with movies, too, but they depreciate way too quickly these days, even BluRays. Sets depreciate very slowly. So now I get movies from Netflix and most TV sets I buy and resell. Works pretty well, actually, if you build up a few hundred dollars to play with.

tommyp007 06-05-09 03:26 PM

We're currently working thru Frasier, with Six Feet Under and In Treatment next

mike7162 06-05-09 04:40 PM

Yes. I use it for tv shows that played on the pay channels I don't have, or for seies I'm interested in seeing,but not necessarily buying.

DeanoBKN 06-05-09 07:01 PM

Always. I cut out blind buying, and that especially goes for tv shows. I will usually rent the first and second disc and watch them before buying a season. It has saved me lots of money already. ;)

Xiroteus 06-05-09 07:49 PM

I have done so many times, I also use the library, at a disc at a time it costs about six to seven dollars to rent one season, and that is if you can get them back fast, otherwise I can see how it could be cheaper to buy a set (on sale) and resell it or just keep it. (Depending on the series of course)

Greg613 06-05-09 08:19 PM

Their streaming has a pretty descent selction. I am watching Earth 2 right now which is a show I would never have added to my DVD queue, but it turns out it is not bad.

DVDMagic 06-07-09 11:22 AM

I always have at least one "slot" allowed for a TV show that I might have missed in it's first original run. It's also proved useful for me to catch up with shows that currently air on TV that people have recommended to me.

I used it to catch up with all the 'CSI' shows and am now current with all seasons.

My wife and I currently watching the 'Henry VIII' mini series that starred Ray Winstone. After that I'm not sure what to go with. A lot of my recent ones have been shows that have multiple seasons, but I'm thinking my next one might be one that got cut short - maybe 'Daybreak'?

MTRodaba2468 06-07-09 01:03 PM

I've done so on occasion. I used it to get into Friday Night Lights, for example.

Liontamer 06-07-09 01:54 PM

I like to occassionally get TV or anime series through my Netflix. I'm working my way through BBC's Robin Hood series, HBO's Big Love, and a couple anime series (Lucky Star & Welcome to the NHK) right now. I keep up with the individual volumes of Bleach that way too so I can wait and purchase the 5-disc sets after they come out. I have gotten hooked and decided to purchase a few shows before too. I got hooked on The Shield that way, and renting The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and Soly Rei convinced me to buy those anime series.

Chad 06-07-09 02:46 PM

Occasionally, yeah. But I'm not especially keen on having to count each individual disc in a season set as one of my 4-out selections, so I definitely prefer having the additional option of instant viewing.

kristina 06-07-09 02:55 PM

I used to only buy TV shows - but eventualy I had four DVD seasons of Two and a Half Men and I just found that days were going by where I'd spend three or more hours a day just watching them. It made no sense - especialy since by the time I had the DVD's, I was also watching the hour of it on CW network every day. So I eventualy sold them all.
I plan on only renting T&AHM and most other shows from now on. My DVD collection is 98% movies... only own a handful or so of TV shows.

kristina 06-07-09 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by PHMustang2000 (Post 9487384)

Because of Netflix I instantly become a collector of 24, Alias, Dark Angel, Angel, Charmed, Cheers, The Dead Zone,Dead Like Me, Joan of Arcadia, Freaks and Geeks.

Freaks and Geeks disc one is somewhere on my queue.

Since you like DLM and JOA ...try Tru Calling, Wonderfalls, Six Feet Under

kristina 06-07-09 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by PHMustang2000 (Post 9487384)

Have any of you discovered a show through Netflix? How many discs did you go through before you got hooked? What Shows got you?

now that I think about it, I tend to only rent disc one just to see if I like the show enough, see if the pace is fast enough for me, if the comedy comes across well.

kristina 06-07-09 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by bdots48 (Post 9487862)
I'm working my way through In Treatment and True Blood right now. The only series I remember purchasing after renting with Netflix is Extras (the price was right).

Thanks for reminding me. I should move both of thoe up on my list.

Travis McClain 06-07-09 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by kristina (Post 9490899)
I used to only buy TV shows - but eventualy I had four DVD seasons of Two and a Half Men and I just found that days were going by where I'd spend three or more hours a day just watching them. It made no sense - especialy since by the time I had the DVD's, I was also watching the hour of it on CW network every day. So I eventualy sold them all.
I plan on only renting T&AHM and most other shows from now on. My DVD collection is 98% movies... only own a handful or so of TV shows.

There aren't many TV series I've enjoyed enough to actually purchase. The thing about them is that I only pick ones I really, really enjoy. I've found I would rather wait for a DVD release of a season than to watch it as it airs, and there are some older series that I want to have because you never know whether or not they'll be in syndication later. I mean, I'm not really that likely to re-watch She-Ra, Princess of Power, but we found all three volumes at Half Price Books for about $45 and I can't remember the last time I saw it on TV. This way, if I want to show them to our niece later on, I've got them.