Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Non-Star Trek fans: after seeing new Trek film, did u buy any old Trek films/series?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Non-Star Trek fans: after seeing new Trek film, did u buy any old Trek films/series?

Old 05-24-09, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Out of all the traditionally non-trek fans (not owning any of the Trek dvds), so who bought dvds of old trek films or tv series after seeing the the new Star Trek film?

I almost bought wrath of khan and voyage home, but i controlled myself and i still dont own one Star Trek dvd.
Old 05-24-09, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Re: Non-Star Trek fans: after seeing new Trek film, did u buy any old Trek films/seri

The new movie was fantastic, but no I do not plan on buying any other Star Trek stuff.
Old 05-24-09, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Non-Star Trek fans: after seeing new Trek film, did u buy any old Trek films/seri

The only Star Trek DVD I own is Wrath Of Khan (which I had bought long before the new movie).
Old 05-24-09, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought I owned all the films. Turns out, I was missing Nemesis. Can't imagine why...
Anyways, I bought Nemesis is anticipation of seeing the new film. Still havent seen Nemesis, nor the new film.
Old 05-24-09, 12:15 PM
Banned

I loved the new movie. And being a series completest... since I plan of picking the new movie up when it comes out on DVD that means I have to pick all the rest up now. So I am on the hunt for the old ones.
Old 05-24-09, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not a huge Trek fan, and even though I haven't yet seen the new film, I still considered getting the "trilogy" they released a couple of weeks ago, containing II-IV.

I recommend it, because they're the best in the series, have a continuous storyline, and you don't have to sit through The Motion Picture of The Final Frontier.
Old 05-24-09, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Literally had not seen anything Star Trek ever, before seeing the new movie (except parts of whatever movie had whales in it when I was a kid). The week before the movie came out I bought The original series: season 1 (Blu-Ray), so I at least new who the characters were before seeing the new movie. I had a little bit of trouble getting through some of the eps, then once I saw the movie. I saw the show in a whole new light & now can't get enough. I really want the movie collection box set now, but the Blu-Ray set has gotten such bad reviews, Im hoping for a better release.
Old 05-24-09, 02:01 PM

I might get the new movie when it comes out on DVD but I think I'll be staying away from the previous movies. Too much to catch up on.
Old 05-24-09, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 190 Likes on 162 Posts

No, but I'm waiting for a cheap price for the Collection Set (though I know it's OOP now)
Old 05-24-09, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jjcool View Post
I thought I owned all the films. Turns out, I was missing Nemesis. Can't imagine why...
Because it's a stupid, awful movie?
Originally Posted by jjcool View Post
Anyways, I bought Nemesis is anticipation of seeing the new film. Still havent seen Nemesis, nor the new film.
Well, that was a waste of money.
Old 05-24-09, 04:38 PM

It's tough to find the original series (at least Season 1) and films not in Blu-Ray. What gives?
Old 05-24-09, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by rmick View Post
It's tough to find the original series (at least Season 1) and films not in Blu-Ray. What gives?
The 2-disc SE DVDs of all 10 films are currently OOP....in fact, the only standard DVDs of the ST films currently in print is the new three-disc "Trilogy" release of 2, 3, & 4.....

The "remastered" first season of TOS was only released in the HD DVD/DVD combo format, so supplies of it could be shrinking as HD DVDs are no longer being produced....
Old 05-24-09, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by WMAangel View Post
The 2-disc SE DVDs of all 10 films are currently OOP....in fact, the only standard DVDs of the ST films currently in print is the new three-disc "Trilogy" release of 2, 3, & 4.....

The "remastered" first season of TOS was only released in the HD DVD/DVD combo format, so supplies of it could be shrinking as HD DVDs are no longer being produced....
I know about everything being OOP, but it actually just makes little sense to me.

Couldn't Paramount have made a great deal of cash with people seeking out the original series and films with the release of the new film? Is there some sort of rights issue with the other films? The lack of a re-packaging just really seems odd, but I guess maybe we can expect it all when the new film hits DVD?
Old 05-24-09, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm not a fanboy of Star Trek in general (my credits are watching most of NextGen, Deep Space 9 and all of the original cast movies as well as a handful of the Original Series as a kid... none of that watched in the past 15 years), but the new movie did get me to start watching all of the Original Series, streaming off of NetFlix, this past week. Great stuff.
Old 05-24-09, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm a moderate Star Trek fan but didn't own any of the DVDs, and the movie did spur me to pick up several of the "Fan Collective" DVD box sets (i.e. Borg, Time Travel etc.) I think these are great for someone who wants a Trek fix but who doesn't want to buy season sets of 5 entire series. Very good samplers.
Old 05-24-09, 09:41 PM

I haven't caught the new movie yet, but around here, they're selling seasons sets from all the series for $39.99 CDN or less at most major retailers.. I've been picking up a couple from Bestbuy that is left over stock with their bonus DVD.. Just got one from DS9 and Voyager the other day..

Been an on and off fan, but was expected to start picking up the season sets when the price was right..
Later
Old 05-24-09, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 116 Posts

I have never owned any star trek films/shows on dvd. I enjoyed Star Trek First Contact, and the newest film in theatres, but probably won't watch them again. I have just never been a big enough fan.
Old 05-25-09, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not a Trekkie but I did enjoy Khan and would love to pick it up on Blu-ray soon.

Can't wait until the new Star Trek is released this fall. I really enjoyed it.
Old 05-25-09, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Nope, really liked the new movie, but could care less about the old series'.
Old 05-26-09, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by BullGooseLoony View Post
I recommend II-IV, because they're the best in the series, have a continuous storyline, and you don't have to sit through The Motion Picture or The Final Frontier.
This.

Although 6 is pretty good as a standalone.
Old 05-26-09, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 85 Likes on 66 Posts

Although I would not call myself a Star Trek fan, I saw a few of the movies as a kid with my Dad: VI, Generations, and the one with the people that age really slowly. Saw a bit of II on TV...ending got to me.

I remember watching an episode of TNG not knowing that the original cast wasn't in it, and was watching it just for Spock to show up. That didn't end well.

Anyway after seeing the new movie, I am interested in seeing some of the original series on BD, as well as the movies.
Old 05-26-09, 11:53 AM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

I've never watched any Trek, but I loved the movie so I thought I'd check it out. My Blockbuster had "The Next Generation" in stock so I watched a few episodes of that. What a great show! I was pleasantly surprised to see the kid from Stand by Me in there...great character as well. They should find a way to bring him back for the next movie.
Old 05-26-09, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by SPiRAL View Post
Nope, really liked the new movie, but could care less about the old series'.
This.
Old 05-26-09, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by canaryfarmer View Post
Because it's a stupid, awful movie?

Well, that was a waste of money.
Yeah, I had big plans for that $5.
Old 05-26-09, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's a lot of Bazooka Joe, my good man!