Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Okay admit it, how many of you have bought those 50 DVD movie collections?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Okay admit it, how many of you have bought those 50 DVD movie collections?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-09, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 612 Likes on 450 Posts
Re: Okay admit it, how many of you have bought those 50 DVD movie collections?

Originally Posted by toddly6666
because of inferiority
How do you know this?
Old 06-02-09, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a few of the sets. I've only watched a few, but they tend to be fun if I'm in the right mood. I just visit Mill Creek's site, and the 250 sets are no longer listed - I guess I should have bought those earlier ...
Old 06-03-09, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I bought a Spaghetti Westerns 20 movie set--I think it had a couple of movies I couldn't really get any other way that I wanted to see, plus it's just a genre I like. Even though some of them were decent, I was pretty sick of westerns for a while after watching all those.
Old 06-03-09, 12:33 AM

i haven't bought any but everytime i go to Best Buy i always consider it ....
Old 06-03-09, 04:51 AM

The only set like this I have was the free one given out to subscribers of total movie magazine

Great magazine that didn't last too long.
Old 06-03-09, 07:55 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

All the negative talk is pretty silly. There are some good films on each of those sets not available anywhere else.
Old 06-03-09, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
All the negative talk is pretty silly. There are some good films on each of those sets not available anywhere else.
I don't mind the trash talk about these sets. I don't feel the need to convince them that their opinion is wrong. I've purchased 3 or 4 of these sets and I've received far more enjoyment from them for my money than on the purchase of a single overhyped disc release like "Fight Club".

And for me it isn't just about the good films that aren't available anywhere else, but also for those little undiscovered gems that I've never seen before and end up liking as a result of watching them.

I'd be curious to see a breakdown by age of who enjoys these sets and who doesn't. I suspect that the majority of those who appreciate these sets had a pre-cable-tv childhood.
Old 06-03-09, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
That's highly unlikely. The films in these sets run the gamut from no-budget to large-budget, span multiple genres even within the same box, and were usually made with the same intentions--to employ, to entertain, to make money--as anything released by major studios with savvy copyright lawyers. Not everything that is in the public domain got there because it was a "bad" movie or some forgotten relic of ancient television. There could be five, ten, or even thirty movies in any of these collections that aren't "good" by one individual's standards (and any such opinions are entirely subjective, anyways), but that hardly means a "because of this, therefore this . . ." philosophy is appropriate when exploring the contents within.

I own six or seven of these sets. I have no intention of watching everything in them, nor should anyone else (talk about obsessive compulsive!). I bought them for literally dozens of movies I DID want to see for which there are NO "official" editions, nor will there ever be (despite many of the film's being utterly deserving of the treatment). And many of said films are worthy of watching, have rated thoughtful reviews and articles and even scholarly analysis in genre magazines over the years, and have acquired cult status over the years. And who here has NO cult pictures in their undoubtedly massive collections of DVDs? Come on . . .

Considering the title of the thread, I'm surprised so many people who've never bought one of these sets--and apparently never will--feel so compelled to join in . . .
I think you missed the part where I was referring to the 1st movie of the pair that went together and not all the movies as a whole.

The idea of the movies was decent but not executed as well as it could've been.
Old 06-03-09, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I think you missed the part where I was referring to the 1st movie of the pair that went together and not all the movies as a whole.

You're right. i read this paragraph from your previous post, separated from the others . . .
Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
The idea isn't bad but if you have to watch everything in the set and the first one isn't good, you know what you're in for on the second one.
. . . and thought it was a reference to the whole set, not the Liz Taylor films.

My bad.
Old 06-03-09, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by sracer
I don't mind the trash talk about these sets. I don't feel the need to convince them that their opinion is wrong. I've purchased 3 or 4 of these sets and I've received far more enjoyment from them for my money than on the purchase of a single overhyped disc release like "Fight Club".

And for me it isn't just about the good films that aren't available anywhere else, but also for those little undiscovered gems that I've never seen before and end up liking as a result of watching them.

I'd be curious to see a breakdown by age of who enjoys these sets and who doesn't. I suspect that the majority of those who appreciate these sets had a pre-cable-tv childhood.
totally agree with you. I think it's almost kind of snobby just to trash cheap movie sets. If you don't like them, don't buy them, simple as that. To me if you're a fan of a genre (like horror) they have a number of hard to find titles. They offer a hell of a lot more entertainment than watching something like the latest hyped horror remake that was just in theaters for half the price but I guess you have to appreciate older movies/grindhouse to really get it.
Old 06-03-09, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've purchased 3 or 4 of these sets and I've received far more enjoyment from them for my money than on the purchase of a single overhyped disc release like "Fight Club".
True enough. I've always been an aficionado of the the kinds of films one often finds in these sets, particularly the genre collections like horror, sci-fi, rive-in classics etc, and it's easy to spot the others in this thread who are as well.

Low budgets are often catalysts for ingenuity and creativity, then as now. I expect a movie like FIGHT CLUB (or any other studio-funded picture) to at least achieve a certain standard of production and acting quality because of the money involved (and the talent it pays). With drive-in, B-movie and exploitation fare from the 40's through to, let's say, the early 80's--some of which I've read about for years, some of which I've never heard of--I automatically lower my expectations, just slightly, and often come away pleasantly surprised. Not always--some of this stuff really was garbage, even it its day--but often enough to justify the paltry $10 to $12 I paid for each of these 50 movie packs.

I suspect there's at least one user here (and perhaps others) who may not even know what cable is, let alone pre-cable. Their loss.
Old 06-11-09, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I own 2 of the Pendulum Pictures 50 Movie Packs and while most of the movies are horrible there are the few good ones like Trees and Trees 2
Old 06-12-09, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Alien Contamination on the NIGHTMARE WORLDS 50 DVD pack is a pretty good little Italian sci-fi/horror flick. Kickass score by Goblin.
Old 09-16-12, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Yep, I just bought my first one - the Dark Crimes set. At the start of the summer I had planned on educating myself about film noir. Well, it's September and I've only watched one film (Touch of Evil). I saw this set at Wal-Mart for $10 and figured why not? I haven't watched any of the movies yet, but my expectations for the AV quality are firmly in check.
Old 09-16-12, 10:18 PM
Cool New Member

I have bought many of them, but the ones that I get absolutely ecstatic over are the 50 western sets. I love the likes of Roy Rogers, Tom Tyler, Buck Jones, Tim McCoy and oh so much more.
And then there's the horror classics with Lugosi and Karloff.... I love old B movies from the 30's-50's.
Old 09-17-12, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

The "Pure Terror" Mill Creek 50 pack is a good one IMO. Good prints of some Naschys on there along with some other gems.

Frankly I love these packs. Yep the quality can be poor but the bang for the buck is off the charts.
Old 09-17-12, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Lt. Brannigan
I have bought many of them, but the ones that I get absolutely ecstatic over are the 50 western sets. I love the likes of Roy Rogers, Tom Tyler, Buck Jones, Tim McCoy and oh so much more.
And then there's the horror classics with Lugosi and Karloff.... I love old B movies from the 30's-50's.
Yeah, the western sets are amazing. Every new B-western I see makes me want to watch so many more. The spaghetti western sets have a number of surprises also. Check out THE PRICE OF POWER, about the assassination of President Garfield (designed as an allegory about the JFK assassination). Better yet, a number of the spaghetti westerns are letter-boxed and transferred from above-average prints.

The TV western set is especially good, with dozens of episodes from the early '50s from shows like The Lone Ranger, Roy Rogers, Annie Oakley, Kit Carson, Frontier Doctor, Buffalo Bill Jr., Range Rider, Stories of the Century, and color episodes from The Cisco Kid. Priceless stuff.

I also want to single out COMBAT CLASSICS, which offers war movies, spy movies and even a number of westerns with some connection to the Civil War. I found a number of low-budget WWII productions that I found really compelling, including two starring Chinese-American star Anna May Wong in stories about the war in China, a subject that Hollywood did not cover very often. There's also an absolutely insane spy movie called BRITISH INTELLIGENCE (1940), set during WWI, that's only an hour long and stars Boris Karloff as a crippled butler with a pretty obvious secret. And the print is great.
Old 09-17-12, 12:29 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Yeah, the western sets are amazing. Every new B-western I see makes me want to watch so many more. The spaghetti western sets have a number of surprises also. Check out THE PRICE OF POWER, about the assassination of President Garfield (designed as an allegory about the JFK assassination). Better yet, a number of the spaghetti westerns are letter-boxed and transferred from above-average prints.

The TV western set is especially good, with dozens of episodes from the early '50s from shows like The Lone Ranger, Roy Rogers, Annie Oakley, Kit Carson, Frontier Doctor, Buffalo Bill Jr., Range Rider, Stories of the Century, and color episodes from The Cisco Kid. Priceless stuff.

I also want to single out COMBAT CLASSICS, which offers war movies, spy movies and even a number of westerns with some connection to the Civil War. I found a number of low-budget WWII productions that I found really compelling, including two starring Chinese-American star Anna May Wong in stories about the war in China, a subject that Hollywood did not cover very often. There's also an absolutely insane spy movie called BRITISH INTELLIGENCE (1940), set during WWI, that's only an hour long and stars Boris Karloff as a crippled butler with a pretty obvious secret. And the print is great.
I am not a big fan of spaghetti westerns, but if Lee Van Cleef is there then I am so there. Van Cleef is always fun to watch.
I have all those TV western sets as well, love the Roy Rogers show. Lone Ranger is fun as well.
Old 09-17-12, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The 50 Suspense Classics set has introduced to me to so many lost gems, I can't tell you. I'm about one-third through that set. Bought it for about 10 bucks, and every summer my Dad and I will pick a handful from the set to watch. I've yet to see something that wasn't enjoyable.

I agree with GoldenWheels, and will likely buy the Pure Terror pack based on his recommendation.
I've seen more innovative and original films in this box set than any other I own. Nevermind the naysayers. This is an easy way to find some truly hidden gems inexpensively.

Highly recommended.
Old 09-17-12, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The only 50 movie sets that I couldn't really recommend are the Pendulum sets that are mostly filled with new DTV horror. Decrepit Crypt of Nightmares is the only one I own and it does have a couple of older films that don't fit in with the rest. If you're looking to get drunk and laugh at them with friends, that's what they're perfect for. You just really have to be in the right mindset for them and they aren't going to be anything you'd want to marathon through.

I have a lot of the sets and this is one group that I won't buy another of until I finish the one I have.
Old 09-17-12, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
The "Pure Terror" Mill Creek 50 pack is a good one IMO. Good prints of some Naschys on there along with some other gems.

Frankly I love these packs. Yep the quality can be poor but the bang for the buck is off the charts.
Absolutely!

I own the "Pure Terror", "Horror Classics", "Warriors", "Sci-Fi Classics", "Sci-Fi Invasion", "Hollywood Comedy Legends", "Comedy Kings", and several of the 20 films sets.

While not every film is a hidden gem or stellar print almost *all* are fair-good print wise and most films are at least watchable. These sets are a *great* value. I'll probably pick up the 2 "Mystery" ones as soon as WM or Amazon puts 'em on sale for ~$10 each.
Old 09-17-12, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got the Sci-Fi Classics, Sci-Fi Invasion 50 packs and the Spaghetti Western 44 pack. I'm pleased with all of them for the value and I'm looking to get the Pure Terror set soon.
Old 09-17-12, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,407 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Is it too much to ask if any of the widescreen ones are 16x9 ?
Old 09-17-12, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Usually when they are it is picture boxed widescreen.

I personally haven't bought any just because I don't want to be shot.
Old 09-17-12, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by milo bloom
The Raiders of Atlantis may or may not be, depending on the version of the set you get. I know there's a couple horror ones but I don't remember specific titles.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.