Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Lionsgate's history of messing up.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-09, 11:47 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Lionsgate's history of messing up.

I know but thats not the case with something like the new My bloody Valentine.
Old 05-21-09, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
Another way in which Fox is WORSE than Lionsgate:
WHen I Netflix movies like My Bloody Valentine and The Spirit they somehow have all the special features of the 2-disk SE's on the disk 1 they send me.
Fox goes out of there way to screw customers in the asshole with that knifed dildo seen in Se7en by excluding all special features on all rental copies.
Here, the problem isn't Fox. It's Netflix.
Old 05-21-09, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by darkhawk
Here, the problem isn't Fox. It's Netflix.
I thought Fox was behind the barebones disc going out to Netflix and Redbox.
Old 05-21-09, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sauce07
I thought Fox was behind the barebones disc going out to Netflix and Redbox.
Fox isn't screwing anyone over. You have a choice, buy the barebones edition or pay about $5 to get special features and a 2nd disc with only a stupid digital copy. It's up to you which you want to buy. Universal does the same thing. Disney is getting more like that too.

You said you ordered the special edition from Netflix and they sent you the barebones one. As far as I know, they're in it for just movies, not special features. If you saw and ordered the SE and they sent you the barebones edition, Then Netflix is advertising the wrong product. Let's say you want to watch WB 2-disc of The Searchers. Netflix will send you just disc 1 with the movie on it. Disc 2 is most likely in storage.
Old 05-22-09, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Though I have the R2 (Uncut) version of Return Of The Living Dead 3, I'd love if Lionsgate released it in OAR and Uncut.

Also in terms of Lionsgate messing up, I even scratched my head with their altering of the OAR of The Broken recently. They kept the film in OAR for the first 10-12 minutes and then modified the rest of the film to 1:78:1.
Old 05-23-09, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Willo007
-Total Recall(importing all the features from the special edition)
Does it come with a wet towel?
Old 05-25-09, 09:07 AM
Cool New Member

Lionsgate is better than Fox. Fox has region issues with thier releases.
Old 05-27-09, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by Living Deadpan
I thought they did a pretty satisfactory job with Alligator (1980). Anamorphic widescreen, interview with John Sayles, commentary with Lewis Teague & Robert Forster. Crappy cover artwork, but no worse than MGM's catalog covers like From Beyond, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, and Species.

Now this was a zero effort disc. Especially since Lovecraft fans are still waiting for Dan o'Bannon's director's cut titled 'The Ancestor'. The only place you can view it is at Dan's house; And unless you're writing a book about Lovecraft films (The Lurker In the Lobby), I don't think he's going to let just anyone into his house (unless we let him whine for 3 hours about how they ruined his original Alien script).
"The Resurrected" was a last minute decision. Lions Gate found themselves with a sudden hole in their release schedule and needed to fill that gap immediately.

At the time I was in bi-weekly contact with several people at the studio, doing my "ROTLD" style campaign to get the studio to release the film. I would LIKE to think that, at the very least, this pestering of mine brought the title to their attention and as they needed something quick they could throw together, "The Resurrected" came out as it did.

Now, I was told that "The Resurrected" was going to be re-released down the line as part of a Lovecraft collection they were planning on doing. This was a few years ago now and they've stopped responding to my e-mails and phone calls. Maybe plans were scuttled, maybe it's just taking a long time to put it all together, who knows?

I will say that much like many other films, "The Resurrected" has had a troubled history. I interviewed one of the film's producers and was told, flat out, he would oppose O'Bannon making any changes what so ever.
Old 05-27-09, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by darkhawk
Fox isn't screwing anyone over. You have a choice, buy the barebones edition or pay about $5 to get special features and a 2nd disc with only a stupid digital copy. It's up to you which you want to buy. Universal does the same thing. Disney is getting more like that too.

You said you ordered the special edition from Netflix and they sent you the barebones one. As far as I know, they're in it for just movies, not special features. If you saw and ordered the SE and they sent you the barebones edition, Then Netflix is advertising the wrong product. Let's say you want to watch WB 2-disc of The Searchers. Netflix will send you just disc 1 with the movie on it. Disc 2 is most likely in storage.
This isn't quite true. It seems like you're not aware that Fox now sends out specially stripped, completely feature-free releases to rental houses, even if the standard one-disc sold in stores has a commentary or something.
Old 02-06-14, 12:07 PM

I'm still holding out hope that Scream Factory will get interested in acquiring "The Resurrected" for themselves.....
Old 02-06-14, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Allred
I interviewed one of the film's producers and was told, flat out, he would oppose O'Bannon making any changes what so ever.
I think O'Bannon's widow is now the only one with his private director's cut.

Originally Posted by Michael Allred
I'm still holding out hope that Scream Factory will get interested in acquiring "The Resurrected" for themselves.....
At this point I would happily take an anamorphic widescreen transfer of The Resurrected as part of one of their All Night Horror Marathon DVDs.