Reload this Page >

Anybody know whats up with the Roger Corman titles

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Anybody know whats up with the Roger Corman titles

Old 07-29-10, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Anybody know whats up with the Roger Corman titles

Dead Space is now a double-feature with The Terror Within instead of Time Walker, and will be released on 11/2 along with the Traci Lords version of Not of this Earth. Up from the Depths/Demon of Paradise and Attack of the Crab Monsters/Not of This Earth (1957) are coming in early 2011.
Old 08-03-10, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got Piranha-SE with lenticular slip cover, but is a 1 Disc edition, was the two disc edition released, or the people at Shout did not release the 2 disc set?

Old 08-04-10, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by Willo007
Just got Piranha-SE with lenticular slip cover, but is a 1 Disc edition, was the two disc edition released, or the people at Shout did not release the 2 disc set?
Probably scrapped?

Picked up the DVD today. No lenticular cover with mine
Old 08-05-10, 10:05 AM
Banned

I had pre-ordered Piranha & Humanoids From the Deep from Amazon way back for $17.99 but got a $6.00 refund when they dropped the release price to $14.99 each. My Piranha also has the lenticular slip cover but as far as I knew this was always a 1 disc release-
Old 08-10-10, 01:24 AM

Just saw Piranha on DVD at Wal-Mart tonight for $15, but passed on it when I saw it was only 1-disc. I was afraid Wal-Mart had gotten a cheaper 1-disc version but it's looking like they managed to cram everthing onto 1 disc and not have to use another dvd for the sp. features.
Old 08-11-10, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Same here. I guess the piranhas ate the 2nd disc.

A bigger issue is that the audio commentary is out of sync. You can hear the actors' dialogue after they close their mouths. Guess I'll email Shout Factory. (they don't get an exclamation mark for defects)
Old 08-11-10, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Saw it at Best Buy last night. The lenticular cover is awesome.
Old 08-29-10, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Was a bunch of new Corman titles just announced? Amazon has a November 2nd date for "Not Of This Earth" (which I thought was originally planned as a double feature. I own the original release and am curious if anybody knows if this release is really happening and any VAM details.
Old 08-29-10, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Peep
Was a bunch of new Corman titles just announced? Amazon has a November 2nd date for "Not Of This Earth" (which I thought was originally planned as a double feature. I own the original release and am curious if anybody knows if this release is really happening and any VAM details.
The single movie NOT OF THIS EARTH is the 1988 version with Traci Lords.

The 1957 version is coming as a triple feature with ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS and WAR OF THE SATELLITES.
Old 08-29-10, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by David Levine
The single movie NOT OF THIS EARTH is the 1988 version with Traci Lords.

The 1957 version is coming as a triple feature with ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS and WAR OF THE SATELLITES.
For some reason, I thought it was the 1988 version that was going to be part of a double feature. Has anybody who has bought any of the other Cormon single features on DVD (I only own the Blu-rays), do they fill up a dual-layer disc? The Blus have all been single layer.

I wouldn't mind picking up the 1988 version, even if its SDVD, as long as the picture is cleaned up and 16x9. The commentary on the original release is great. I would imagine that it's being ported over.
Old 08-30-10, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by Peep
I wouldn't mind picking up the 1988 version, even if its SDVD, as long as the picture is cleaned up and 16x9. The commentary on the original release is great. I would imagine that it's being ported over.
http://www.shoutfactorystore.com/prod.aspx?pfid=5257263

Bonus Features:

* New Interview With Traci Lords
* New Commentary With Traci Lords And Director Jim Wynorski
* Original Commentary With Director Jim Wynorski
* Theatrical Trailer
Old 10-14-10, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From DVD Drive-In:

This holiday season, get ready to fire-up with the action from four explosive Roger Corman gangster classics when Shout! Factory, in association with New Horizons Picture Corporation, unleashes the BIG BAD MAMA/BIG BAD MAMA II Double-Feature Collector’s Edition DVD and CRAZY MAMA/THE LADY IN RED Double-Feature Collector’s Edition DVD on December 7, 2010. A must-have for loyal fans, these two pairs of Roger Corman’s Cult Classics double-feature DVD sets boast new Anamorphic widescreen movie presentation with loaded extras. Aggregate your Roger Corman’s Cult Classics with these two double-feature collector’s edition DVD sets. Each set is sold separately with $19.93 SRP.

The Big Bad Mama/Big Bad Mama II double-feature collector’s edition showcases Angie Dickinson (Dressed to Kill, TV’s Police Woman) at her toughest and sexiest, in one of her signatures roles.

None bigger, none badder, and none more beautiful than Angie Dickinson as Big Bad Mama!

During the Depression, Wilma McClatchie (Dickinson) finds that there is no money to be made in the bootlegging business, but a chance meeting with bank robber Fred Diller (Tom Skerritt, Top Gun, TV’s Picket Fences) leads to a new career -- in crime!

Along with her daughters (Robbie Lee and Susan Sennett), Wilma joins Fred on his next big heist. After meeting slick gambler/con-man William J. Baxter (William Shatner, Star Trek, TV’s Boston Legal), Wilma recruits him and the rest of her gang to kidnap a millionaire’s daughter in hopes of collecting a big ransom.

Big Bad Mama also stars Sally Kirkland (Anna, In the Heat of Passion), Noble Willingham (City Slickers 1 & 2, The Last Boy Scout), cult favorite Dick Miller (The Howling, Gremlins 1 & 2) and Royal Dano (The Trouble With Harry, The Dark Half).

The ongoing cult popularity of Big Bad Mama prompted Roger Corman to fashion a follow-up remake more than a dozen years later. As gorgeous as ever, Angie Dickinson agreed to reprise her role as the pistol-packin’, hard-lovin’ Wilma McClatchie in Big Bad Mama II.

Joined again by her two beautiful daughters (Danielle Brisbois and Playboy Playmate Julie McCullough), Wilma’s out to steal a better life for herself. The sexy trio sets their (gun) sights on revenge against a crooked politician (Bruce Glover, Diamonds Are Forever, Ghost Town) by robbing his banks and kidnapping his son. Along the way, they’re joined by a resourceful newspaper reporter (Emmy® nominee Robert Culp, TV’s I Spy and The Greatest American Hero) who becomes part of the gang … and becomes Mama’s favorite!

BIG BAD MAMA/BIG BAD MAMA II DOUBLE-FEATURE COLLECTOR’S EDITION DVD

BONUS CONTENT:

BIG BAD MAMA Special Features
• New Anamorphic widescreen transfer (1.78:1)
• Audio commentary with director Steve Carver and director of photography Bruce Logan
• Leonard Maltin interviews Roger Corman
• Theatrical Trailer and TV Spots
• Mama Knows Best: A retrospective featuring interviews with Roger Corman, filmmaker Steve Carver, writer Frances Doel and actress Angie Dickinson.
• Theatrical trailer and TV spots

BIG BAD MAMA II Special Features
• New Anamorphic widescreen transfer (1.78:1)
• Audio commentary with director Jim Wynorski
• Leonard Maltin interviews Roger Corman
• Theatrical trailer

When Big Bad Mama hit it big at the box office, producers Roger Corman and Julie Corman decided to go the distance for more thrills – better and crazier!

Directed by future Academy Award® winner Jonathan Demme (The Silence of the Lambs, Philadelphia), Cloris Leachman (The Last Picture Show, Young Frankenstein) stars in Crazy Mama as Melba Stokes, a middle-aged woman who runs a beauty parlor with her mother Sheba (Academy Award® nominee Ann Southern, The Whales of August) and teenage daughter Cheryl (Linda Purl, Visiting Hours). When the shop falls into foreclosure and is repossessed, the three ladies take a wild road trip from California to the family home in Arkansas that turns into a crime spree.

Crazy Mama also stars Academy Award® nominee Stuart Whitman (The Mark, Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines), Donny Most (TV’s Happy Days) and Jim Backus (TV’s Gilligan’s Island, Rebel Without a Cause).

Pamela Sue Martin (The Poseidon Adventure, TV’s Dynasty) makes a startling transition into grown up roles, in the title role of The Lady in Red. All her life, Polly Franklin wanted to see her name in lights. Yet her dreams were constantly dashed and she frequently wound up in trouble. From sweatshop worker to dancehall girl, from prisoner to prostitute, Polly lived a hard, often harrowing, life. Then she fell for John Dillinger (Robert Conrad, Jingle All the Way, TV’s Wild Wild West), the much-feared bank robber and killer who was declared “Public Enemy Number 1” by the FBI.

It was Polly who wore the infamous red dress on that fateful July evening in 1934 Chicago, when she and Dillinger went to the movies at the Biograph Theatre. It is there that Polly found the fame she had so long craved -- although not in the way she desired.

With a hard-edged script rooted in history by two-time Academy Award® nominee John Sayles (Eight Men Out, Lone Star), The Lady in Red is a gritty crime saga with a unique point of view. It explores the mystery behind one of the most notorious “ladies” of her time.

Produced by Julie Corman and directed by Lewis Teague (Alligator, Cujo), the film’s star-studded cast includes Louise Fletcher (One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, The Cheap Detective), Christopher Lloyd (Piranha 3-D, the Back to the Future trilogy, TV’s Taxi), cult favorite Dick Miller (Big Bad Mama, Gremlins 1 & 2) and, in a special appearance, Academy Award® nominee Robert Forster (Jackie Brown, Alligator, The Delta Force).

CRAZY MAMA/THE LADY IN RED DOUBLE-FEATURE COLLECTOR’S EDITION DVD

BONUS CONTENT:

CRAZY MAMA Special Features
New Anamorphic widescreen transfer (1.78:1)
Audio commentary with director Jonathan Demme and producer Roger Corman
Interview with Jonathan Demme and Roger Corman
Theatrical trailer and TV spots

THE LADY IN RED Special Features
New Anamorphic widescreen transfer (1.78:1)
Audio commentary with director Lewis Teague and actor Robert Forster
Audio commentary with producer Julie Corman and screenwriter John Sayles
Theatrical trailers

Shout! Factory will continue to present Roger Corman’s Cult Classics home entertainment releases in 2011. Upcoming highlights include Up From The Depths, Demon Of Paradise, Roger Corman’s Cult Classics Sci-Fi Classics, Jackson County Jail, Caged Heat, and many others.
It's too bad none of the upcoming titles will be in HD, as I'd love Caged Heat on Blu-ray.
Old 11-04-10, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From AV Maniacs:

2/1/11 - Double Feature: Death Hunt/Butch and Sundance The Early Days
2/1/11 - Lucky Lady - First Time on DVD
2/1/11 - 11 Harrowhouse
3/29/11 - Capone with Ben Gazarra and Sylvester Stallone
Old 11-04-10, 03:55 PM

Wow, I'm really not interested in any of those. Perhaps Capone, but that would be stretching it.
Old 11-04-10, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, those all look pretty blah to me as well. I hadn't even heard of any other than Capone.
Old 11-04-10, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Welcome to a distant world of exciting battles, exotic women, mystical secrets and evil wizards in The Warrior And The Sorceress. Kain (David Carradine) is the last survivor of a mighty warrior tribe. Once an exalted warrior-priest, Kain now wanders the planet Vra as a mercenary sword-for-hire. In the small village of Yam-A-Tar, he finds two vicious clans struggling for power and becomes embroiled in the treachery and battles, the mighty wizardry and rampant debauchery.

On the eve of her wedding, Amathea (Lana Clarkson) sees her world dissolve: her groom imprisoned, her village razed, and her friends attacked and slaughtered. Becoming the Barbarian Queen, she vows revenge and retribution. Along with her female warriors, she entices and then destroys her adversaries. Barbarian Queen also stars Katt Shea (Psycho III) and Dawn Dunlap (Forbidden World).

Both films feature a new anamorphic widescreen transfer (1.78:1) and theatrical trailers.
A part of the Shout! Factory select series which are only available directly from their site (apparently).
Old 11-05-10, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by NoirFan
From AV Maniacs:

Wow, these might be the first titles in this series that I don't actually purchase.
Old 11-05-10, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by NoirFan
From AV Maniacs:

Death Hunt has to be the bronson version, right? So I'm a bit confused, what involvement did corman have in those titles? Aside from capone.
Old 11-05-10, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by dan31655
Death Hunt has to be the bronson version, right? So I'm a bit confused, what involvement did corman have in those titles? Aside from capone.
Corman produced CAPONE but had nothing to do with the other four films listed in Noirfan's quote from AVManiacs.
Old 11-05-10, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Corman produced CAPONE but had nothing to do with the other four films listed in Noirfan's quote from AVManiacs.
That's weird. I didn't double-check on any of them, but that post I quoted was by Cliff from Shout! Factory, from the Corman thread.
Old 11-05-10, 12:15 PM

I believe the connection is that his company negotiated for US rights and then distributed them through Fox. Effectively, they imported them and were basically the middleman. Very similar to how API was functioning in the sixties and seventies. You get a lot of "Roger Corman presents a so-and-so production" type of credit on these. He also had next to nothing to do with Starcrash as well.
Old 11-05-10, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Reading through the whole thread, these are some that were mentioned as coming:

Eat My Dust! (1976)
The Great Texas Dynamite Chase (1976) & Black Oak Conspiracy (1977)
Deathstalker (1983) & Deathstalker II (1987)
Old 11-08-10, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

on AVManiacs Cliff Mac said these:

2/1/11 - Double Feature: Death Hunt/Butch and Sundance The Early Days
2/1/11 - Lucky Lady - First Time on DVD
2/1/11 - 11 Harrowhouse
3/29/11 - Capone with Ben Gazarra and Sylvester Stallone

are NOT part of the Roger Corman line.

On Amazon this just came up for preorder:

2011/02/15 Jackson County Jail (1976) & Caged Heat (1974)
Old 11-08-10, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by David Levine
http://www.shoutfactorystore.com/prod.aspx?pfid=5257263

Bonus Features:

* New Interview With Traci Lords
* New Commentary With Traci Lords And Director Jim Wynorski
* Original Commentary With Director Jim Wynorski
* Theatrical Trailer
I watched this the other night and it was as great as I remembered it. I watched the Traci Lords interview and listened to part of the new commentary. Both were great additions. It was nice to see the movie again, even if it didn't get the full blu restoration.
Old 11-08-10, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by mdnitoil
I believe the connection is that his company negotiated for US rights and then distributed them through Fox. Effectively, they imported them and were basically the middleman. Very similar to how API was functioning in the sixties and seventies. You get a lot of "Roger Corman presents a so-and-so production" type of credit on these. He also had next to nothing to do with Starcrash as well.
Corman produced them with Fox.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.