Reload this Page >

Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume X

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume X

Old 05-24-09, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume X

Originally Posted by LaxBandit
Use the K-Mart ad (had three of them - ours, one of my friends and my aunts) to pricematch two
regular versions at FYE and one of the Special Box/Mini History Of Wrestlemania Book Version at
Wal-Mart so all three of them cost me $19.99 before tax. Then we have $14 in MIR coming from
FYE for the regular versions. I'm getting one of the regular versions, another friend is getting the
other regular version and another friend is getting the Wal-Mart version. (He loves those extras
and also it continues his streak of getting Wrestlemania at Wal-Mart - I think it started at WMXX.)
The cost after rebate comes in (and includes tax) comes to around $50 so we are just going to
divide that by 3 and it comes to $16.65 or so per person. Not a bad deal - too bad the steelbooks
didn't have the MIR attached.

LB...

Since when does FYE pricematch?
Old 05-24-09, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TehOH1
Weird. I was told by someone here that the new Tagged Classics (No Way Out & Backlash 2004) had Benoit taken off of the cover of the DVD case of Backlash.

I bought it yesterday, open it up, and what do I see. Chris Benoit on the cover. I for one am glad that it wasn't changed. I don't want an alternate cover with just the logo.
It seems that WWE aren't advertising Benoit on the actual cover, in this case the slipcover. But inside (like the insert) they advertise Benoit.

In the Summerslam Anthology for example, Benoit's image or name is no where on the digipack, once opened his name is on the match listings.

I think in a couple of years or so WWE will start to put matches involving on compilation sets, its just right now its a red flag for them especially the recent passing of Test. It would be a PR disaster if media got involved with the deaths in WWE.
Old 05-24-09, 05:52 PM

Picked up the Steelbook version of WrestleMania XXV. I purchased my copy at the FYE at the Newport Centre Mall earlier today. The total cost came out to $26.07. When I went there they had four copies left.
Old 05-25-09, 12:04 AM
Cool New Member

For those who haven't had a chance to check out the Kid Rock edit on the Wrestlemania dvd, here is how it goes:

After showing the clips of Fan Axxes, the camera cuts to a shot of the crowd as Justin Roberts says, "The following match is a 25-diva battle royal...." around that point, the camera cuts to the ring for the start of the match with all the divas in the ring. The bell rings and Roberts continues with "The last diva standing will be crowned Miss Wrestlemania."

As for Satina's music, its a hip-hop track with female vocals (don't remember if that was the song that played when he won) and when Candice puts the crown on him, its a generic dubbed song.

Also, all of Piper's cursing at Jericho during the legends match has been removed but they do show the camera angle of Steamboat skinning the cat during the match.

Last edited by CSUMB84; 05-25-09 at 12:11 AM.
Old 05-25-09, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just finished watching the WM XXV DVD. My review:

Ever since around last summer, I haven't been very enthusiastic about wrestling. I've found that many of the same feuds were going on and on, and older, less interesting ones were being resurrected: HBK/Y2J (which I was not a fan of), Y2J/Cena, etc. I wasn't looking all that forward to WM this year, and it was pretty much solidifed when the card was announced. I had little expectations, and when the show was over, they were met. I originally felt that it "living up to my expectations as a disappointment." Two months later, here are my second thoughts:

Money in the Bank Ladder Match
MITB is like the "Saw" series: if you've seen one, you've seen them all. Their are highs and lows. This, like a "Saw" sequel has got some awesome stunts, but the shock wears thin. The novelty in this year's entry was Kane and Mark Henry, who added a nice element of power. Instead of every just jumping around, Henry and Kane created a real threat for everyone else. There were some great spots, and even though I wasn't rooting for Christian, the crowd was going insane for him to win, so he probably should have. Fast, fun, opener.

***1/2 (out of 5)

Divas Battle Royal
On second viewing, it's still a disaster. The returning divas don't get introductions, the announcers don't seem to know who's actually in the match, there's no action, and it's all reduced to a sight gag. Absolutely horrible.

DUD

Chris Jericho vs. Roddy Piper, Jimmy Snuka, and Ricky Steamboat
Most everyone can agree on this one. Snuka's performance was embarrassing, Piper gives it all his all but it's still not much, Steamboat turned in the surprise performance of the night, and they had a fun little 5 minute match, Mickey Rourke took way too long to get to the ring, but this was mostly entertaining.

**3/4

Jeff Hardy vs. Matt Hardy
A personal feud is reduced to a garbage match. Given the story, it was kind of trivial to just use all sorts of weapons. Any two could have had this match, it would have been nice if the Hardy brothers really fought. They didn't. But the match they do have is solid enough.

JBL vs. Rey Mysterio
When JBL first became a main eventer, right before Judgment Day in 2004, he wrestled and defeated Rey Mysterio. Almost a year later, Rey almost beat JBL in a match to become #1 contender. That fall, Rey beat JBL. JBL beat Rey at the following ppv. Rey retained his world title against JBL. Then he retired him. Three years later, they actually have a match on RAW...a week before their match at WM. They've wrestled so many times, with so many different outcomes, what could they possibly bring?

Nothing.

Rey beats JBL in 21 seconds, and JBL retires. It would have been a fun segment if the rest of the show were better, we hadn't expected them to have an actual match, and were it not Rey's first WM since 2006.

Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels
This match is critic-proof. It's a fact: if you're a fan of professional wrestling, then you will love this match. The storyline was okay, but the promos were very good. HBK had zero chance of winning this one (no way he was retiring Flair at WM 24 and then ending Undertaker's winning streak, especially since UT had never defeated HBK), but you wouldn't guess that watching the match. This is a wonderfully told story, like a great three act play. Act 1 is the regular wrestling (the first ten minutes or so), Act 2 is HBK and UT taking some painful bumps on the outside (especially UT, which will always make me cringe), and Act 3 is them using everything imaginable to win. HBK hits chin music twice, UT hits a chokeslam, last ride, and and two tombstones to win.

I hate to jump on the bandwagon, but unless a piss-break match was going to follow, this should have just been the main event, because the next two matches not only are not as good, they fall WAY short.

Edge vs. Big Show vs. John Cena
Edge had just won the world title a month ago, so he should have retained. Edge and Cena and Cena and Show had fought so many times, even making this a three-way seemed stale. There were some solid spots, but the love triangle, having Cena be in it only for the title, and following UT/HBK made it all so meh.

This could have co-main-evented a No Mercy, and it would have been fine. But not WM.

Triple H vs. Randy Orton
Maybe it's because they had originally planned Cena/Batista II as the main event, but I was shocked that they were doing this as the main event...again. These two feuded from '04-'05, in the DX vs. Rated RKO feud, in late '07, and most of the spring in 2008. HHH had won FOUR world titles from Orton, and pretty much buried him into the ground. They had TWO last man standing matches, Orton had won a title from HHH, and at the end of their feud, HHH had beaten Orton in a 4-way, a steel cage, and the afformentioned LMS match. The only way I was okay with them having ANOTHER match, especially in the main event of WM, was if Orton went over clean.

The storyline was amazing. It set up Orton as a monster heel. You really wanted HHH to get revenge. But this is where HHH painted themselves into a corner (as they so often do): If HHH gets revenge, then yet another HHH/Orton match results in HHH winning. Orton should finally be given the torch. But if Orton wins, then it's just a downer ending at WM, which was only done once (to negative results, in 2000).

The psychology of the match was interesting. I personally liked how Orton and HHH hit their finishes within the first minute. It was a nice way of immediately putting both men at somewhat of a disadvantage. It reminded me of an action movie where the hero and villain are both badly hurt, so their fight is that much more desperate. The middle of the match was terribly mediocre. I've always said it, but they just don't have good chemistry. It was a boring brawl. And again, the end was interesting because of how cinematic it was. HHH comes out of nowhere with the punt, and that creates the scene where he hits Orton w/ the sledge, pummels him, is pulled away, and then pulls the trigger by hitting the pedigree. In a movie, it would have been cool. And it was definitely an unique ending for a match, which probably would have left less of a bad taste if it were lower on the card. But it shouldn't have ended the main event of a ppv, let alone WM.

**3/4

Conclusion
Its reputation as one of the worst WM in years is pretty much hard to defend. It's probably the worst edition in ten years (I liked 2000). The midcard was not terribly deep, there was one disaster of a match, one 20-second waste of time, and the rest was just kind of okay. Again, I have to jump on the bandwagon about HBK/UT: it should have been the main event. I know it would be very TNA-ist for two of the oldest guys to be main-eventing, but UT was in the main event of 24, and HBK was in the main event of 23 (granted, against younger opponents Edge and Cena, respectively). But there was no topping this match.

At least in previous WMs, the "showstealer" match was followed by something solid (at WM XIX, HBK/Y2J was followed by Hogan/McMahon, Rock/Austin III, and Angle/Lesnar, at 21, HBK/Angle was followed by HHH/Batista, at 22, Edge/Foley was followed by HBK/McMahon, at 23, Batista/UT was followed by HBK/Cena, and at 24, HBK/Flair was followed by Orton/Cena/HHH and Edge/UT). This year, the best match of the year was followed by two so-so matches.

Overall rating:
*** (out of 5)
Old 05-25-09, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by CSUMB84
For those who haven't had a chance to check out the Kid Rock edit on the Wrestlemania dvd, here is how it goes:

After showing the clips of Fan Axxes, the camera cuts to a shot of the crowd as Justin Roberts says, "The following match is a 25-diva battle royal...." around that point, the camera cuts to the ring for the start of the match with all the divas in the ring. The bell rings and Roberts continues with "The last diva standing will be crowned Miss Wrestlemania."

As for Satina's music, its a hip-hop track with female vocals (don't remember if that was the song that played when he won) and when Candice puts the crown on him, its a generic dubbed song.

Also, all of Piper's cursing at Jericho during the legends match has been removed but they do show the camera angle of Steamboat skinning the cat during the match.
Another change/edit noone has yet to make mention of is the clipping of all news media and all but one of The Wrestler film clips in the Jericho/Legends promo package. The way it is presented on the DVD it doesn't really explain Rourke's 'role' in the match.

The strangest part of that particular change is that they still leave one breif clip from the movie and one sound byte from it.

Last edited by fyebonusdisc; 05-25-09 at 08:32 AM.
Old 05-25-09, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did WWE pipe in crowd noise or chants during the HHH/Orton match? i haven't opened up mine yet so was wondering. I remember watching it on ppv and the crowd was dead during the match which i think hurt the quality of it.

WWE did this on the WM22 release and basically made "pro Cena" chants and toned down the boos. I could imagine them adding some crowd noise during HHH/Orton to make it more a little more exciting.

Last edited by sg2386; 05-25-09 at 12:05 PM.
Old 05-25-09, 01:02 PM

anyone else think thats a little pathetic, when i buy a wwe ppv dvd i want it to be unedited and unrated, wwe using these cheap tactics to protect superstars like cena and hhh is not right
actually editing out the crowd chants and changing them to pro-cena is just pathetic, the wwe is doing everything to save face on there "big" stars, but this is a new low
Old 05-25-09, 01:05 PM

its like the nba cutting off the crowd when they boo lebron or kobe, i know there the main attractions but as a fan i want there to be integrity in the game and while watching the game
Old 05-25-09, 01:13 PM

looks like silver vision has the macho man dvd up for release this week instead of jun 9, do they ship worldwide and how fast are they, and are the dvds region same as north america
Old 05-25-09, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by chuckliddell
looks like silver vision has the macho man dvd up for release this week instead of jun 9, do they ship worldwide and how fast are they, and are the dvds region same as north america
AFAIK, Silvervision only releases their product Region 2 encoded. Macho Madness no exception.

Otherwise, as others have repeatedly stated, can you keep the non-DVD discussion to the sports forum in order to keep this thread from getting cluttered with off-topic back-and-forth?
Old 05-25-09, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by LaxBandit
Best Buy is having a WWE DVD Sale on their wesbite and the following DVDs are $12.99.

LB...
Do you, or does anyone, know if this sale is only for Memorial Day or if it will be a week-long thing? I'm heading down to the States next weekend and would prefer to order-to-store to save shipping costs if possible.
Old 05-25-09, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hell of a review BullGooseLoony. Loved the saw/mitb comparison.
Old 05-25-09, 10:43 PM
Cool New Member

Hey guys,

Hope you don't mind but I would like to share my WWE Dvd collection with you. Now, its not as extensive as some on this board or on youtube but these are just the WWE dvd's from 99-2008 and doesn't include the old Coliseum Videos I have transferred to dvd that are in individual sleeves.

A little backstory on my collection.....the first dvd I got was the Hollywood Hogan "Hulk Still Rules" dvd in summer 2002 and shortly thereafter, is when I began collecting the dvd's. Some I have gotten for great deals, such as the US release of Vengeance 2002 for $5 from Ebay due to a mis-spelling in the item title and others I've had to pay for, such as $45 for Wrestlemania X-7.

I used to have a mix of Koch dvd's and US region dvd's when I first started but because I am picky about things like that, all my dvd's are US region, except Best of the WWF 2001, which was a Canadian exclusive. I also found out you can't trade in koch dvd's at US stores as the machines won't read the barcodes.

As of today and with the exception of this years Pay-per-views, I am missing 5 that I know of, which are Judgment Day 2002, Raw Homecoming, Ramped Up Videos, Undertaker the Phenom and the re-release of the Coliseum Video History of the IC Title [which I don't know if I count it since I have the CHV].

Also, in the special section, I have several custom covers made on the WCF board by excellent cover makes for the Tribute to the Troops 2007 show [which I was lucky enough to get the emmy dvd], The 1990 Wrestling Summit from 1990 that took a while to complete due to tracking down excellent quality of the event and Raw and Smackdown Tribute shows for Eddie Guerrero [Still debating on whether or not to get the WWE release of them since the Benoit/Triple H match is cut out].

The Hulkamania 2 and Hart Foundation dvd's are the CHV transferred to the dvd and the covers were done on WCF by the cover makers who took the vhs cover and transferred it to dvd.

Lastly, the 2007 pay-per-views are just the regular releases and not the Blockbuster versions. The blockbuster in my town just got them a few months ago but are not for sale.

Hope you enjoy.....

Old 05-25-09, 11:12 PM

nice collection. i love wcf.
Old 05-26-09, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

On a side note, real saddening how crappy WM 24-25 blu ray packaging is compared to the DVDs
Old 05-26-09, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by Class316
On a side note, real saddening how crappy WM 24-25 blu ray packaging is compared to the DVDs
Pray tell, what would you have them do for the Blu-Ray?
Old 05-26-09, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by will94
Pray tell, what would you have them do for the Blu-Ray?
I don't see why they can't do similar packaging to the DVDs (aside from the fear that consumers will think they're DVDs).
Old 05-26-09, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nice collection. It's always cool to see them them all lined up covers first.
Old 05-26-09, 09:10 AM

Here's the link to all the WWE DVDs currently on sale at Best Buy. There's no indication of when the sale will end, however.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....s&nrp=15&iht=n
Old 05-26-09, 12:37 PM

Hi, I wanted to share this guys awesome colelction of Wrestling DVDs & VHS Tapes with you all. It is unbelievable!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce5TP...e=channel_page
Old 05-26-09, 02:51 PM

Has anyone heard of any exclusives for the Macho Man DVD yet? Bonus discs at certain stores, etc?
Old 05-26-09, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BretFan1
Has anyone heard of any exclusives for the Macho Man DVD yet? Bonus discs at certain stores, etc?
Probably not.

I don't think WWE will be promoting this set with bonuses or exclusives, they're releasing this set because they know it will make money and not that they patched things up with Savage.

Was hoping they would include some exclusive or something, but highly doubt it.
Old 05-26-09, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yea the Savage DVD was initially cancelled then probably due to the bad economy Vince decided to do one but that Savage would play no part in it.
Old 05-26-09, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by SkipKassidy
Here's the link to all the WWE DVDs currently on sale at Best Buy. There's no indication of when the sale will end, however.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....s&nrp=15&iht=n
june 20th

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.